Code of Conduct

Default How Similar Is Rochas Man To Givenchy Play Intense?

I was reading the thread about Rochas Man and it reminded me that's on my short list to pick up. I know it's cheap, but I wonder if it's too similar to Play Intense. How do the two really compare? How do they differ? I wish I knew someplace I could smell Rochas stuff because Rochas Desir homme is on my shortlist too. (posting here because I didn't want to derail someone else's thread)

Default Re: How Similar Is Rochas Man To Givenchy Play Intense?

Only similarity to me is that they are both gourmand. Other than that, they smell totally different from each other. I prefer Givenchy Play Intense.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Blog Entries

Rochas Man, to me, is more sugar-y; while Play Intense is smoother, more masculine, and is just plain better.

I loved Play Intense when I first bought it, but now I find myself wondering if a woman will think I smell like waffles. That's what Play Intense smelled like to me last time, but I put it away for the summer. Maybe I'll put off the Rochas Man buy for a while. Hmmmm.

Not very similar to me at all.

Play Intense is darker, centered more around coffee and woods, whereas Rochas Man seems more centered around a cotton candyish, sugary vanilla with the coffee a little further in the background. There's a somewhat prominent mandarin orange note in Play Intense (in the opening) whereas there's a subtle rapsberry note in Rochas Man. You could easily own both, imo.

As far as I remember, their bases are quite similar in smell with Givenchy Play Intense being stronger

Rochas is lighter and has a warm cappuccino feel
    I don't really think they are too similar.
    Both are great but I prefer Play Intense

Rochas Man is sweeter, has a less pronounced coffee note, and is a semi gourmand because of all of it's green notes. Also it doesn't project or last as long. GPI has a citrus opening, has a strong coffee note, is a full on gourmand. I compare Rochas Man to New Haarlem and GPI to A*Men. Personally I'd buy Michael Jordan Legend because it's smells almost identical to Rochas Man and is in many ways better.

Yes they're slightly similar, however Play Intense is FAR BETTER, IMO.
    " In a world of 1s and 0s...are you a zero, or The One? "

The sweetness in the drydown is indeed similar.

Play Intense to me is an updated version of Rochas Man.
    It has lots of tonka which makes it smell younger and more modern.
    Play Intense is stronger with beautiful sillage and a very nice citrus opening.

It's well-known that women love to smell Rochas Man on a guy.
    The same goes for Play Intense.
    Actually, I think women prefer to smell Play Intense.

I love both and they will always be in my collection.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 9th July 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Banned

Perhaps, these ↓↓↓ would be helpful:

Rochas Man by Rochas - In its opening, a pleasing lavender and bergamot arouse the senses. From afar, a sweet and creamy vanilla bobs eagerly. Thankfully, the lavender remains throughout the composition to rein in the sweetness. The tantalizing vanilla does intrude on that grassy lavender, and brings its sugary sweetness to the fore, steering it to its heart. The middle beckons, stewing with its coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, cedar, and rasberry notes, as well as some, lovely jasmine and lily-of-the-valley accords. The sweet vanilla blends nicely with the heart, creating a delicious mocha cafe, with hints of wood and floral twinkling. The smooth base with its amber, sandalwood, and glimpses of patchouli, usurps the melange, softening it, and evolves into its enticing drydown. It's a well-constructed gourmand. This delightful fragrance's longevity is good; and its projection is average for the first 3 hours, then sticks to the skin.

Play Intense by Givenchy - Upon application, one is pleasantly treated to a refreshing duet of nectarous, mandarin tangerine and somewhat tart bergamot. Tumbling to the waiting middle, the citrus mixes with the slightly spicy and fruity pink pepper and coffee tree wood to brew a sweet, cocoa concoction, and flows to the wondrous base. Transitioning, multifaceted labdanum kidnaps the cocoa mixture and morphs the cocoa into a not unpleasant, tar-like, burnt coffee. The syrupy coffee joins with the woody vetiver, the sweet patchouli, the spicy vanilla of the tonka beans, and the soft, balsamic amyris wood to exude an awesome, mocha drydown. A delectable treat, this radiant composition has excellent longevity and very good projection.

I don't find them very similar. Rochas Man has a lot of lavender in it. I pretty much just get lavender and vanilla. I find Play Intense woodier within its sweetness, and it has a nice vetiver note woven in, as mentioned above. I like both but prefer Play Intense.