Code of Conduct

Default The Best Floris Fragrances

Floris are doing a half price Summer sale on a lot of their fragrances and I have not tried any and was wondering what are the best scents they do?

http://www.florislondon.com/floris-f...e-for-men.html

Banned

Default Re: The Best Floris Fragrances

Good thread idea! I'm very curious, too, because I never managed to test these scents although they have been on my agenda for years and years.

No 89 is a soapy, after shower, rosy scent...similar to No 88 by Czech and Speake...very classy.

Thanks for the heads-up. Just nabbed some No. 89 which is nice and stuffy, quite old-fashioned really but I like it. Also Santal, which is very nice, a bit sweet, not a lot of sandalwood, easy to wear. I bought that as a gift (probably!). Not keen on JF/Elite. Special 127 is a nice 'cologne' type scent, reminds me a bit of the exalted Xerjoff 1861. A bit femme for my taste though.

Blog Entries

Limes is really nice, in the classic collection.

The Floris sales (there's usually one after Christmas) are fantastic! Hand soaps and fragrances to be had at great deals.

Elite and No. 89 for me, although I don't currently own any.

Santal is the only one I own, but I've considered No.89 and Elite at various times. JF is nice but it's essentially their GIT, so I don't feel that I need both of them (and GIT is better).

Sound Scents

My favorites of their scents still available in order of preference are:

No. 89
    Eau de Santal
    Elite
    JF
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Floris Vetiver is my favorite, unfortunately discontinued. Santal is a good one if you like spice, peppercorn in particular.

Santal, Elite and JF are very nice indeed!!!
    Gary

I'd take Santal. JF is nice, but pales next to GIT and Chez Bond.

Banned

Thanks for the heads up.

Out of 7 samples (No.89, Elite, Cefiro, Limes, JF, Santal, Mahon Leather) I received from Floris I picked Santal as bottle worthy after I used up the sample vial. Santal: warm, woody, spicy, wee bit of vanilla. Good for cool weather wear IMO.
    I kept the Mahon Leather sample, gave away the rest to a friend.

The Santal is probably the all around best of this House!!!
    Gary

In my opinion, their best fragrance, is Sandalwood (sadly discontinued)...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I personally feel that all their classics have been reformulated downward to the point of no longer being adequate. Nothing there that wouldn't be better done by other houses, mainstream or niche. Sandalwood was once great indeed, as well as No. 89, now it's a scrubber for me.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I just reviewed my former favourite No. 89 upon revisiting it (review not visible yet), and sadly had to concur with the_good_life: Hairspray.

While we are at it, may I ask what would be an appropriate substitute? I really would like to have a discreet, conservative, unobtrusive, clean fragrance for daytime wear. In my line of work (medicine) I prefer not to wear noticeable "perfume".

Vetiver and Sandalwood, unfortunately both discontinued
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I personally feel that all their classics have been reformulated downward to the point of no longer being adequate. Nothing there that wouldn't be better done by other houses, mainstream or niche. Sandalwood was once great indeed, as well as No. 89, now it's a scrubber for me.

That's exactly my point...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyujin View Post
    I really would like to have a discreet, conservative, unobtrusive, clean fragrance for daytime wear.
    Eau Sauvage.

I have been looking into Santal and was wondering how spicy it is? I have L P No 9 for men by Penhaligons and that shares some of the same notes but is a bit too spicy. It steps into Opium territory and was wondering how Floris Santal compares to L P No 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have been looking into Santal and was wondering how spicy it is? I have L P No 9 for men by Penhaligons and that shares some of the same notes but is a bit too spicy. It steps into Opium territory and was wondering how Floris Santal compares to L P No 9.
    It's nowhere near as spicy as LP 9 and Opium pH. I dug my sample out again last night to refresh the failing memory; it's a lightly-spiced, smooth, creamy, semi-sweet cedar/sandalwood with vanilla. No-one is going to run screaming out of the room clutching their pearls if you wear this. No clove-bomb like Taylor's nor 'cloying mother' like Trumper's. Quite light and suitable for office wear. She said.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    It's nowhere near as spicy as LP 9 and Opium pH. I dug my sample out again last night to refresh the failing memory; it's a lightly-spiced, smooth, creamy, semi-sweet cedar/sandalwood with vanilla. No-one is going to run screaming out of the room clutching their pearls if you wear this. No clove-bomb like Taylor's nor 'cloying mother' like Trumper's. Quite light and suitable for office wear. She said.
    Thanks Marais.

Elite.

The rest are either girly (#89 & #127), samey (Santal & JF) or meh (Ceffiro).

Sound Scents

I agree completely with this description. The closest scent I can think of to it is Gucci Envy.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The closest scent I can think of to it is Gucci Envy.
    Almost a rip-off.

I've never tried any of the Floris fragrances, but from what I've read, I reckon No 89 is worth a blind buy at half price, so I've ordered a bottle of that.

I'm also thinking I should get something else while they're cheap, and from this thread I think I'd probably like Santal - I think I need to sleep on it.
    Last edited by Oscroft; 11th July 2012 at 10:02 PM.
    Alan

I emailed the company a year or two and received samples of the whole line. Wasn't impressed.

Love No.89 or Palm Springs. Wear them both a lot.

What's Palm Springs like?

Update.

Just received my bottle of Santal. A very refined subtle woody cardamom that gets lightly spicy and has a watery lemon on the opening. Nothing distinctive but it is very nice, though it does remind me a bit Penhaligons Endymion. I like the light spice and the slight hint of vanilla, a perfect office or anytime anywhere fragrance.

One thing that surprised me was on the back of the box it lists oakmoss extract as one of the ingredients and I thought they would removed that because of restrictions. Anyway a good purchase at half price for 100ml.

Update.

Just received my bottle of Santal. A very refined subtle woody cardamom that gets lightly spicy and has a watery lemon on the opening. Nothing distinctive but it is very nice, though it does remind me a bit Penhaligons Endymion. I like the light spice and the slight hint of vanilla, a perfect office or anytime anywhere fragrance.

One thing that surprised me was on the back of the box it lists oakmoss extract as one of the ingredients and I thought they would removed that because of restrictions. Anyway a good purchase at half price for 100ml.

a silly question , jack , what kind of santal do you get from there?
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

In only know No. 89 and have a very good impression about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    a silly question , jack , what kind of santal do you get from there?
    Not much as it seems more like a fantasy take on Santal.lol...There is a bit mixed in with the nice spice but this is not to my nose a"serious take on Santal". It's more like someones interpretation with spice,nutmeg and a hint of sweetness to give the illusion of it.lol

Not much as it seems more like a fantasy take on Santal.lol...
    I agree, it's a pleasant easy-to-wear scent but will not be anyone's sandalwood holy grail!

My No. 89 arrived today, and I'm very pleased with it. It comes across to me as fougere-like, but with more floral notes, and it develops nicely - I didn't think I'd applied enough at first, as it seems pretty light in the opening, but I soon found I'd used plenty

It lasts pretty well too - I applied it at around 11:00, and it was still there at at 18:00 when I had a shower.

Definitely a winner for me - I think I'd even be prepared to pay full price for it!
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    My No. 89 arrived today, and I'm very pleased...
    Definitely a winner for me - I think I'd even be prepared to pay full price for it!
    Congrats! Floris were so ruddy slow at dispatching (11 days from order date!) that I am now away from home and my 89 & Santal have no doubt been returned to the sorting office.

Congrats! Floris were so ruddy slow at dispatching (11 days from order date!) that I am now away from home and my 89 & Santal have no doubt been returned to the sorting office.
    Yep, it took 13 days before they shipped mine.
    Alan

Sur la Plage

Vetiver
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    Yep, it took 13 days before they shipped mine.
    Same with me I think they must have done a massive despatch on orders at the same time. Congrats on no 89 as these 100ml frags are a steal for the price.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm about to buy a bespoke perfume experience at Floris London. You spend 90 minutes with the perfumer and then go on to blend your own fragrance.

Do people think this will be a worthwhile experience?

Sounds like fun MFM and you will have a fragrance unequal to yourself. Good luck on the endeavor!

Quote Originally Posted by MFM View Post
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm about to buy a bespoke perfume experience at Floris London. You spend 90 minutes with the perfumer and then go on to blend your own fragrance.

Do people think this will be a worthwhile experience?
    Do you mean the 'Fragrance Customisation" rather than "Bespoke"?

One costs £195, the other £4500.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Do you mean the 'Fragrance Customisation" rather than "Bespoke"?

One costs £195, the other £4500.
    Yes, the first one. I don't think I would ever pay £4500 for creating a fragrance from scratch, no matter how rich I was!!

Well I have just bought this for me and the wife. Still not cheap at £195 x 2, but you do take home a 100ml bottle of EDP. And besides, it will be unique and you can reorder it if you really like it.

Haven't tried any, but I've heard the Santal is really nice. I've read it being compared to a softer version of Gucci Envy for Men.

bump for this thread, any recommendations for floris?

I have tried a few. I thought Santal and Vetiver are two that smelled very nice.

(4151)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

The wife and I went to do the bespoke fragrance where you blend your own.

What a disappointment. The perfumer didn't seem in the slightest interested and although we both made it clear from the start the type of fragrance we like, we ended up with mediocre scents that I would never have bought myself.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    In my opinion, their best fragrance, is Sandalwood (sadly discontinued)...
    I just got a bottle of this. Fantastic!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Of the Floris line, I like best (in order):

No. 89
    Elite
    JF

And an honorable mention to Eau de Santal, which I think is now discontinued...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Out of the four Floris scents I have tried, Vetiver is the winner.
    Great stuff. Too bad it's discontinued.

It's a long lasting, some what raw vetiver with a slight barber shop vibe.
    The incense and oakmoss in the base are just icing on the cake.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Mahon Leather
    JF
    Elite