Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Lilac-based fragrance

I was speaking to my sister this weekend, who doesn't really wear perfumes, but would like to find one that suits her. She is interested in a fragrance that is predominantly Lilac. It would be great if it were a flexible scent, since this would likely be the one that she will wear for all occasions and all seasons. I know it is a tall order, but I ask the collective wisdom here, is there a scent for her?

Bejahu

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lilac-based fragrance

I will tell you my favorite lilac, which is the limited edition (spring 2012) Jo Malone White Lilac & Rhubarb, now out of stock in stores but I am seeing it online at the Malone website (see: http://www.jomalone.com/templates/pr...T_ID=PROD17366)

This is a breezy lilac that gives one the impression that one is standing in a yard smelling lilacs and greenery on the breeze.

If you don't like the idea of a limited edition that will not always be available, here are two that many like, which have a lilac note but are not soliflore (single flower) fragrances:

Frederic Malle En Passant (smell this one at Barneys or Frederic Malle, or Aedes de Venustas in NYC; Aedes has a sample program by mail of 7 decanted 0.7ml glass vials for $15, of which $5 is applicable toward a purchase of one of the perfumes sampled, see: http://www.aedes.com/Aedes-Sample-Service_p_908.html

Ineke After My Own Heart (you can get a set of 1.5ml samples from Ineke's website for $25 including shipping, which is fully applicable toward a full bottle, see: http://www.ineke.com/catalog/product...products_id=39 )

+1 En Passant Frederic Malle - that's the first one that came to mind, it has a short life, but it's beautiful whilst it lasts.

My personal favourite lilac is the brilliant Comme Des Garcons EDP 2011 (in the melted lightbulb bottle) - it's a synthetic lilac, aldehydes, and saffron (with the scent of glue and musk in the drydown), I wear it all year round, wonderful stuff - maybe a little avant-garde for a non-perfume person, or it might just be the unusual thing needed to kickstart her love for it

Psychotrope by parfumerie generale

Blog Entries

+1 for En Passant.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

+2 for En Passant !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Try Diptyque-Jardin Clos. It's very cheerful with a white musk base.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th July 2012 at 04:22 PM.

En Passant. Lilac and tepid water.

for swap/sale:

+1 for Jo Malone's White Lilac & Rhubarb. Lilacs and ashy dirt.

-1 for En Passant. I can't abide the melon/cucumber note. Too bad, because the lilac bit is nice.

A cheapie but good soliflore is Yves Rocher's Pur Desir de Lilas. Straight-up lilac. http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Y...ilas-3384.html

+1 Jo Malone White Lilac & Rhubarb!!!!!! I can't believe this is limited edition!!!!!!!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

+1 Pur desir de Lilas ♥ true mauve lilac

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Angelique Lilas

I love En Passant, too, but for its price it lasts less than an hour on me before going into a cheap bodyworks skin scent, passant indeed. Better to keep a decant of it around for reference rather than daily wear.

And I think I am alone in admiring this one, but French Lilac by Pacifica is an inexpensive choice that avoids smelling cheap, but many say it is more room-spray grade than perfume-grade. I enjoy it very much when applied lightly, and a scent so delicate and relaxed as lilac seems fitting to be presented by an organics/vegan brand.

This thread is promising: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/229...t-isn-t-sickly

Sounds like Highland Lilac could be the best?
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 9th July 2012 at 08:46 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I used to prefer Highland Lilac of Rochester, but gave it away after finding the Malone more wearable. Highland Lilac is like smelling a bunch of lilacs in a vase of water. Realistic in-your-face lilac, but just a bit too much for regular wearing. You can purchase a 2ml spray sample in the Highland Lilac website.

Re: French Lilac by Pacifica, something about it doesn't suit me, but there are related body products, and one can buy it in small doses-- a roll-on, a solid, a 1 oz. spray.

I used to wear Demeter Lilac (cologne-- not the "100% natural" EDT which smells nothing like lilac!) but again, there are better choices.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks folks. Your advice is much appreciated.

Fleurs d`Ombre Jasmin Lilas Jean-Charles Brosseau
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Basenotes Plus

After My Own Heart by Ineke has been my favorite lilac lately, even over En Passant and White Lilac and Rhubarb.

Basenotes Plus

mmmnnnnn I could have sworn I posted in this thread. My favorite remains Ineke After My Own Heart. En Passant was very pricey for the time it lasted. Haven't smelled the Yves Rocher. Highland Lilac is photo accurate, but it wears me, instead of the other way around.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

One more vote for Editions de parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant, then there's also Miller Harris Coeur d'été (which is discontinued but still available on some online shops).
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'm extremely intriguied by After My Own Heart by Ineke. Can anyone spill some more details on this one?
    I haven't tried this line at all but found it's available in Liberty's for a pretty good price. I'm off to London in a couple weeks - anything else from this line worth trying?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

forfreddie,

Aside from the reviews in the directory, some people posted their impressions about After My Own Heart (and a couple of other lilacs) in a thread about a lilac samples pass we did last year:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/274...nces-to-Sample

Blog Entries

You might like Annick Goutal-Eau de Camille.
    Very fresh & spring take on lilac.

Eau de Camille Notes

Ivy, privet, honeysuckle, seringa, cut grass