Code of Conduct

Default Re: Some answers to Galimard questions

LOL.. megabump for an oldie. Got more or less a similar unhelpful answer when I asked what year their fragrances were released.
    That is.. no answer at all except a confirmation that indeed 1 Cologne that I received as a gift was from 2012 .. doh, I knew that one.. just not all the gazillion other fragrances .
    This May be the very reason why Galimard is such an unknown house despite their presence in Grasse and the very decent quality of their fragrances.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I made a faux-pas by bumping an ancient thread.. : http://www.basenotes.net/threads/188056

Is there anyone else who, like me wrote to Galimard and asked the release years of their fragrances but did get meaningful answers?

Most of my possessions are samples and/or miniatures so in about 1 year, I've gathered over 300 different fragrances that I try to test in various different ways, among others by going from oldest to youngest release of a house, so that I may see some kind of artistic development or trend.. without the release year testing fragrances is much less fun.. likewise to see there are precious few people actually OWNING a Galimard.

- - - Updated - - -

Galimard has good quality fragrances, but unfortunately , very little is known about this house and information is not really given out easily. I've tried to retrieve release years.. to no avail.
    First time in April I've bought
    1 sample pack of 12x2 ml: 6 masculin scents (1747 - Aventure - Bel Canto - Rafting - Rencontre (unisex) - Sportissimo) and 6 feminine scents (A contre jour - Accroche-Coeur - Canaca - Ple-Mle - Si tu savais - Songeries)
    1 box with 6 miniatures (15ml): Brindille - Galimard Star - Grasse toi - Printemps Japonais - Yavana
    freebies: Cologne Absolue Feuilles & Fleurs d'Oranger - Songeries
    as well as their Elve Parfumeur, mostly to recognize some of the individual notes.. ah, there's still so much I don't recognize!

Then after finally sampling them in December and seeing the decent quality and relatively low price another miniature set with mostly orientals: A demi-mot - Cantabelle - Cyble - Galimar - Lapis Lazuli - Ma Faute .
    and another freebie, their new feminine scent: Evie.

And then I wonder out loud again: why is there so little to be found on this house. Something I find quite incredible is they 'claim' to be active since 1747 but according to the information in Fragrantica, their first listed fragrances are from the 1960s. Would this be why they are so silent about the release year?

The one I wore yesterday was a wonderful sweet & spicy oriental called Galimar, which some resemble to Shalimar. Should really compare side-by-side (only have a small sample) and now am about to wear Lapis-Lazuli, which once again gets compared to Chanel no 19 (never worn it). Would it be lilkely Galimard is good at making dupes?

Or are they contract manufacturers for 'houses' that are not really making their own fragrances... this is very common for food substances, so why not for perfume?
    A common theme for contract manufacturers is that they make excellent quality products, but never advertise their own products as most of the time they don't have them.

Have every men's scent that Galimard has made to date in my collection (22) which are all wonderful but don't know the release dates
    or the order in which they came out. Received a detailed brochure of all their fragrances directly from the company but there is no info as to the order in which they appeared on the market from what I could see.

I will leave my thoughts on some of the ripoffs:

Accroche-Coeur -> Divine L'inspiratrice, right away it's almost identical, just the same notes put together, but lacks body and it's not as good as the time passes.

Aventure -> Terre d'Hermes, it's actually very nice, it smells less mineral but more fresh and 'natural', worth it but TdH Parfum is way better.

Bel Canto -> Aventus, a sharper version, it's not as good because doesn't have the harmony of the Creed one. However, it might have been released before? No idea.

Canaica -> Omnia? HdP 1873?, my favourite from the ones I tried, a well done blend with good longevity, better than the HdP's and cheaper.

Pele Mele -> Diorissimo, I actually prefer this one over the Dior's because I don't usually like lily of the valley, but it's just a safe floral everyday scent.

Si Tu Savais - > D&G Light Blue, I don't care about D&G fragrances, so no comments from me here.

Songeries -> Miss Dior Cherie, vague resemblance maybe?, definitely poor construction.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I know next to nothing about Galimard. I bought a vintage Galimard jasmine parfum on ebay, and I sent it to a friend. But that is the only Galimard fragrance I know. I absolutely intend to get myself to Grasse someday.

There's only one major distributor in the US - The Village Parfumerie and they stock almost the entire line: http://www.thevillageparfumerie.com/index.htm

I emailed them some time ago asking about one of the products they sell and still waiting for an answer ? Maybe they are just very busy.

Was about a perfume creation kit I wanted to gift someone but I can not find what the 18 base bottles are ? Maybe someone here ordered that and know the contents ?

www.galimard.com/
    Last edited by BelleBeryl; 14th May 2013 at 08:52 AM.
    [COLOR=""]a rose is a rose is a rose[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by BelleBeryl View Post
    I emailed them some time ago asking about one of the products they sell and still waiting for an answer ? Maybe they are just very busy.

Was about a perfume creation kit I wanted to gift someone but I can not find what the 18 base bottles are ? Maybe someone here ordered that and know the contents ?

www.galimard.com/
    Don't know where you are located, but if you call ask to speak to Jonathan. He's very helpful and travels to Grasse twice a year. to place new orders.