Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RIP Montale?

Default Re: RIP Montale?

This mess could be a movie (a bad one).

You can now order from them on-line but there's no option for adding extra perfume oil, in addition to the 50mls being unavailable.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    They refuse to ship to the United States...I don't know who's decision that was, but It is a poor business move...
    They only ship inside Europe. It seems that their shipping outside of France is handled by Colissimo International. My guess is that Colissimo international doesn't operate outside of Europe.

Has anyone heard anything further about this?

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Montale fragrances, and have more of them than any other house. BUT they are strange all the way around. No one has ever seen the "owner" There is a guy in Oman somewhere pumping out ideas for them...Prolifically...Their email account is a hotmail account. They shut down with no warning last spring and no one heard from them until the reopened in a new location a few weeks ago...mysterious.

... a new location that is not a shop either.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ahpucha View Post
    They only ship inside Europe. It seems that their shipping outside of France is handled by Colissimo International. My guess is that Colissimo international doesn't operate outside of Europe.

Has anyone heard anything further about this?
    Nope, Colissimo does ship outside EU. I just had Pascal Morabito OR Black shipped from France via Colissimo.

Quote Originally Posted by Le critique de parfum View Post
    This mess could be a movie (a bad one).
    Agree.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I love red vetyver but it's about time this story comes to a conclusion! Either come back or die....all this ongoing Montale mystery is frustrating LOL.

Harvey Nichols Istanbul received a collection of Montale recently. 24 fragrances are available here.

Quote Originally Posted by leto View Post
    Harvey Nichols Istanbul received a collection of Montale recently. 24 fragrances are available here.
    Where is Harvey Nics in Istanbul by the way? When I am next there I want to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Where is Harvey Nics in Istanbul by the way? When I am next there I want to check it out!
    Hi, you can find them in the Kanyon Shopping Center in Levent. The company also owns stores called Brandroom in Nisantasi and Anatolian side (Bagdat Avenue) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by leto View Post
    Hi, you can find them in the Kanyon Shopping Center in Levent. The company also owns stores called Brandroom in Nisantasi and Anatolian side (Bagdat Avenue) as well.
    Thank you so much, will check it out when I'm there!

According to their website, the boutique will officially open in 2013. Now, that's really taking the p***...

Probably in December of 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Probably in December of 2013!
    That’s being a little too optimistic, no?

Blog Entries

The real kick-in-the-teeth for me is that I have been waiting patiently to order Cuir d'Arabie 100ml from Montale. It is $101.77 plus you get 20ml bottle of anything else free. They now say, NO shipping to the USA. What a rip-off. EVERYONE else is selling this stuff for $160/bottle with no gift. If this stupid company wants my money they will get their crap together. How can you not ship to the USA??? What percentage of their overall business do you think came from the USA? Half? Stupid...

The webpage: www.montaleparfums.com/ is not longer available.

Doesn't that tell you something???
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    The webpage: www.montaleparfums.com/ is not longer available.

Doesn't that tell you something???
    It's working for me.

No ship to Brazil too.

Too bad, I was ready to order some cans as the previous times. Maybe there are another brands that want my money.

The real kick-in-the-teeth for me is that I have been waiting patiently to order Cuir d'Arabie 100ml from Montale. It is $101.77 plus you get 20ml bottle of anything else free. They now say, NO shipping to the USA. What a rip-off. EVERYONE else is selling this stuff for $160/bottle with no gift. If this stupid company wants my money they will get their crap together. How can you not ship to the USA??? What percentage of their overall business do you think came from the USA? Half? Stupid...
    Just wait until you get a 20% off coupon from Parfum1 and you can get it for $128 with free shipping. Can't beat it when you consider these were sold in the US for $210 for 3.3 oz. for years before they were reduced to $160.

How can you not ship to the USA??? What percentage of their overall business do you think came from the USA?
    Apparently not much otherwise they'd bend over backwards to cater to the US lol.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Apparently not much otherwise they'd bend over backwards to cater to the US lol.
    With many of the on-line vendors for Montale being located in the US, why should they care?

Anyway, I think their largest markets (for direct sales) are Europe and the Middle East.

Basenotes Plus

A lot of companies do not ship direct to the consumer in the US.

Well seeing as a lot of people were asking. I have just had a pleasant transaction with Montale.

Ordered 2 bottles on Thursday 29th November and here they sit in my hands on Wednesday 5th December. I've had worse service from "functioning" companies within the UK.

My review: Excellent communication and quick turnaround.

The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Congrats on your purchase. Waiting for a friend to arrive from France with their two latest offerings: Aoud Ever & Candy Rose

I'm glad they decided to close down when they did...it gave me time to get over them. I probably would have wasted a bunch of money if I'd have had the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    Well seeing as a lot of people were asking. I have just had a pleasant transaction with Montale.

Ordered 2 bottles on Thursday 29th November and here they sit in my hands on Wednesday 5th December. I've had worse service from "functioning" companies within the UK.

My review: Excellent communication and quick turnaround.
    Woohoo!! Thanks for posting this. Had no idea what their packaging even looked like. Now I know

Just wondering though - as someone based in the UK as well, how did you manage to sample these fragrances before you bought full bottles?
    Last edited by rum; 6th December 2012 at 02:58 PM.

Latest from the Montale website:

"We have no sales points in France, we hope to open a shop in Paris soon."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Latest from the Montale website:

"We have no sales points in France, we hope to open a shop in Paris soon."
    Wasn't that the same message three months ago?

Wasn't that the same message three months ago?
    From what I can recall, they announced that a new store would be opening in 2013 on the home page. That announcement is no longer there...

Their horrible business management and PR skills do not do justice to their fragrances or their loyal customers.

My friend at the perfume shop said they were back to getting Montale stock again. So at least their wholesale operation seems to be running OK again.

Wow, very strange. I wonder if anyone has had a chance to talk to Pierre Montale.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    My friend at the perfume shop said they were back to getting Montale stock again. So at least their wholesale operation seems to be running OK again.
    Min New York as well as Parfum 1 just recently in the past few days also received a shipment of Montales.

Hey, have someone based in EU (but not in the country they list they ship to) had any luck in talking them into shipping to their country? The price + shipping + gift is so much better a deal than buying from First in Fragrance that my heart is breaking that they do not ship to my country (for whatever reason). They have not replied to my e-mail I sent three days ago also.

Pierre Montale is a fiction. Wake up people! I am curious who is behind Montale´s fragrances.

This whole Montale business is quite confusing. Is anyone able to explain the relationships between Montale, Tanelli, and Mancera?

Just heard news from a friend of mine: (I don't know if it's true or false) but it seems Montale is in bad economic situation. If someone likes Montale perfumes, , it's time to start piling up bottles....

There were a bunch on Ebay yesterday, Business Seller.
    Last edited by lpp; 22nd April 2013 at 01:34 PM.

I think 76 Montales is more than enough so I'm fine if the news pans out to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    Just heard news from a friend of mine: (I don't know if it's true or false) but it seems Montale is in bad economic situation. If someone likes Montale perfumes, , it's time to start piling up bottles....
    I highly doubt it, they were at a fragrance trade show and released 2 fragrances, on top of which Tanelli/Montale fragrances sell very well in the Middle East/West Asia market.

I think Montale wil soon end, they started to sell their perfumes at lower prices to mainstream sellers. (Black Aoud and Wild Aoud costs 78,29 € on parfemy-elnino.sk). The brand is owned by Arabian man. When i heard that, i quickly bought a 100 ml flask of Blue Amber . One thing is sure: they cancelled their boutique in Paris and their future is very unsure (sorry for my english). I have these informations from one woman who looks behind the scenes, she studied the perfumery in France and she makes a perfume business in our country, she has a shop with exclusive brands (mostly niches, but she has some oriental brands too) and e-shop too. So i believe her.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I highly doubt it, they were at a fragrance trade show and released 2 fragrances, on top of which Tanelli/Montale fragrances sell very well in the Middle East/West Asia market.
    This makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by icu View Post
    I think Montale wil soon end, they started to sell their perfumes at lower prices to mainstream sellers. (Black Aoud and Wild Aoud costs 78,29 € on parfemy-elnino.sk). The brand is owned by Arabian man. When i heard that, i quickly bought a 100 ml flask of Blue Amber . One thing is sure: they cancelled their boutique in Paris and their future is very unsure (sorry for my english). I have these informations from one woman who looks behind the scenes, she studied the perfumery in France and she makes a perfume business in our country, she has a shop with exclusive brands (mostly niches, but she has some oriental brands too) and e-shop too. So i believe her.
    The line is owned by Al Jazeera fragrances headed by Ahmar Attmeh , which is quite popular in the the Gulf and KSA. Pierre Montale or whatever is the business partner in France, there was dissension between the two groups and they are in court over that.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 23rd April 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: edit

So you started buying up a bottle because you found out that an Arab man actually owns it (Ahmar Atmeh is his name)? Racist much? The line is owned by Al Jazeera fragrances , which is quite popular in the the Gulf and KSA. Pierre Montale or whatever is the business partner in France, there was dissension between the two groups and they are in court over that.
    Jump the gun much?

- - - Updated - - -

You didn´t uderstand me. I bought a bottle of Blue Amber because it looks that Montale will soon end in Europe. But i am not an expert in this issue, we will see what will happen with them, but now the situation is quite bad.
    You were quite right to buy it- there are so many problems with this company and its better to be safe than sorry. Who knows what will happen. Enjoy your Blue Amber

So you started buying up a bottle because you found out that an Arab man actually owns it (Ahmar Atmeh is his name)? Racist much?
    Even if you didn't misunderstand what he meant, how would that be racist?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Even if you didn't misunderstand what he meant, how would that be racist?
    Well if you use your basic reading comprehension it does come across as racist, but since the poster explained himself I misunderstood his intention. I have to give him credit, since english is not his first language either.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn´t uderstand me. I bought a bottle of Blue Amber because it looks that Montale will soon end in Europe. But i am not an expert in this issue, we will see what will happen with them, but now the situation is quite bad.
    My apologies, no actually you had worded it like that , but its ok, lol, I know what your trying to say.

- - - Updated - - -

The European branch is very badly managed and even their Vendome store was ghetto. Their store was suppose to have like 5 openings but it never happened because of the legal hagglings they had in court. I do not know that status quo. Icu you don't need to worry of them going out, because actually the fragrances are not even made in France, most are made in UAE lol, its all a big scam, but I could care less , the Montales I have are wonderful. The reason why I say it will be a very very low probability they would fold, is because, Montale makes a lot of money through distribution. I was on a trip to Santiago(Chile) for business, in South America, I spotted Black Aoud on 4 people. Montales are very popular among wealthy South America.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 23rd April 2013 at 03:15 PM.

Vinramani09, thank you for the information, it is useful for me and for other Basenote users. So I have a chance to buy from this house in the future. I would like to buy Dark Aoud, and maybe Wild Aoud. (Now i have Black Aoud, Patchouli Leaves and Blue Amber.)
    Last edited by icu; 23rd April 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Well if you use your basic reading comprehension it does come across as racist, but since the poster explained himself I misunderstood his intention. I have to give him credit, since english is not his first language either.
    My reading comprehension is excellent. Maybe you should use your logical reasoning capabilities. As the OP has already pointed out - if he were "racist" would that not mean that he would NOT purchase something because of the ethnicity?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    My reading comprehension is excellent. Maybe you should use your logical reasoning capabilities. As the OP has already pointed out - if he were "racist" would that not mean that he would NOT purchase something because of the ethnicity?
    Firstly my post was directed at him, and we resolved the issue, I do not see why you seem so disturbed by it. I never questioned your comprehension skills, but you seem to be questioning them. You don't need to respond like a high school bitch to make a point.

- - - Updated - - -

I accept your apologies.
    But i still don´t understand how could you think that i am a racist LOL. It is not logical deduction, if I would be racist, I would never buy any oriental fragrance, i would not support them by buying any items from their countries And now i have 11 oriental fragrances of approximately 35. Ok, let´s talk about something different than racism
    Thank you for the information, it is useful for me and for other Basenote users. So I have a chance to buy from this house in the future. I would like to buy Dark Aoud, and maybe Wild Aoud. (Now i have Black Aoud, Patchouli Leaves and Blue Amber.)
    Forget it lol! I will delete that post lol before a troll starts attacking me. Nuff of that!
    This is the other branch of Montale , Tanelli, same fragrances ! http://aljazeeraperfumes.com/#!/page_home
    Tanelli fragrances are better made IMO more rounded and deeper. I procured the Tanelli Black Oud , 2 months back and I find it to be more well composed with better sillage. I think based of the posts on facebook, there seems to be complaints about the strength of the fragrances now, which maybe a reason why the prices have gone down to 120 USD. Initially bottles were 210 then 160, now they seem to be in the 120-130 range.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 30th April 2013 at 10:12 PM.

because actually the fragrances are not even made in France, most are made in UAE lol, its all a big scam, but I could care less , the Montales I have are wonderful.
    This is not my understanding at all, and not what I was told to my face by the owner on the many times I was at the boutique on Place Vendome in the past. You are quite correct that the company is owned by a Palestinian, Ahmar Attmeh but they are made in France as they have production facilities outside the Paris suburbs in France. They would never be able to legally be sold in France under French law and say made in France if they weren't made there.

This is not my understanding at all, and not what I was told to my face by the owner on the many times I was at the boutique on Place Vendome in the past. You are quite correct that the company is owned by a Palestinian, Ahmar Attmeh but they are made in France as they have production facilities outside the Paris suburbs in France. They would never be able to legally be sold in France under French law and say made in France if they weren't made there.
    Someone told me the opposite Hednic, but I really do hope you are right, yes whenever I would phone them, they would say they have a facility in Grasse, but considering they have lied to customers so much, I do not know what to believe at times , but all I do know is Montale has some stellar fragrances.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone told me the opposite Hednic, but I really do hope you are right, yes whenever I would phone them, they would say they have a facility in Grasse, but considering they have lied to customers so much, I do not know what to believe at times , but all I do know is Montale has some stellar fragrances.

The odd UK clothing company was exposed for lying about where their products were produced. They would produce them in a developing country, remove the original label and replace it with a label that said 'made in the UK'. If it can happen in this business sector, it can surely happen in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    The odd UK clothing company was exposed for lying about where their products were produced. They would produce them in a developing country, remove the original label and replace it with a label that said 'made in the UK'. If it can happen in this business sector, it can surely happen in others.

Thats what I thought too, good thing you mentioned it Trebor.

Ordered some Montales on Tuesday and they arrived in the UK today (thursday). I ordered my two bottles got 2 free 20ml bottles and samples of the two new fragrances aoud greedy and intense cafe. I have to say it was excellent service and no problem shipping to the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Ordered some Montales on Tuesday and they arrived in the UK today (thursday). I ordered my two bottles got 2 free 20ml bottles and samples of the two new fragrances aoud greedy and intense cafe. I have to say it was excellent service and no problem shipping to the UK.

Anglomania your experience is exactly the same as mine, flawless.

Basenotes Member ben_from_boston's Avatar

I think based of the posts on facebook, there seems to be complaints about the strength of the fragrances now, which maybe a reason why the prices have gone down to 120 USD. Initially bottles were 210 then 160, now they seem to be in the 120-130 range.
    hednic's experience notwithstanding, this diluting of fragrance that i keep reading about is the only thing holding me back from buying at least several montale perfumes.
    Last edited by ben_from_boston; 2nd November 2013 at 10:18 PM.