Code of Conduct

Default I can't find a cologne I like for the life of me, help!

I've probably tried about 30 different fragrances with extended periods of wear over the past year, yet I haven't found one that I like enough to hang on to. Going to sephora or macy's I honestly do not find a single one anymore that I like enough to buy, thus I usually end up blind buying or sampling ones that aren't available in retail thinking I will like them based on what I've read but with no great luck so far.

So far I've liked, but not enough to keep:

claiborne curve
    bvlgari ph soir
    a&f fierce
    versace ph
    acqua di gio
    le male
    Rive gauche ph
    YSL body kouros

and was neutral or disliked:

angel men
    vc&a midnight in paris, vc&a pour homme
    burberry london
    dior homme intense
    dirty english
    carolina herrera chic men
    d&G the one
    azzaro ph
    issey miyake ph
    kouros YSL

Default Re: I can't find a cologne I like for the life of me, help!

At times like this.... there's only one fragrance that stands alone:

AVENTUS
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Designer has failed you. Time to go niche. And don't go timidly; go straight to Knize Ten or Dzing!

Kidding.

Sort of.

...no, I'm really not. Time so step away from 'safe' and from Sephora and Macy's.

If that doesn't net some different results, maybe fragrance isn't a hobby for you.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

There is plenty more to try of course. I'd start with a bunch of samples of popular scents you see mentioned here on basenotes, and just work from there. Good Luck, I hope you find something you really like.

I agree with the above poster about maybe starting to explore niche frags too. leave the designer world behind for a little while.
    Last edited by autumngleeman; 10th July 2012 at 12:20 AM.

Have you tried any from the Chanel or Prada line? Also it can't hurt to try some more from YSL.

If you want to look into niche, luckyscent has many frags that can be sampled very affordably.

Dependent

I dislike all the scents you mention.

Meanwhile, I have amassed a collection of nearly 60 bottles.

Time to go off the beaten path and try some more unique fragrances.

Mant to try from Creed, Chanel and Bond No. 9.

keep trying....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I'm just going off of whats available at Sephora and Macys that isn't on your tried list:

Prada ambre pour homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    1 Million Paco Rabanne
    YSL L'Homme and La Nuit
    Terre d'Hermes
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Dior Eau Sauvage EDP

I forgot Sephora has Dior Homme Sport until I read it in cacio's response. I luv the Dior Homme Sport.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 10th July 2012 at 02:11 AM.

I think it's fine to stay at Sephora / Nordstrom / Macy's. Sure there are great niche options. I bought Aventus today. But you should only go that route if you smell it, wear it for a few days and love it. The real trick is to seek unique options and sniff around rather than getting burnt out on more stuff that smells just like everything else.

Try these:

Gucci Pour Homme II -- masculine tea frag. Believe it or not, it's superb. And a compliment catcher.
    Fahrenheit -- you need to spray this one on your skin and live with it for a few hours. Totally unique.
    Dior Eau Sauvage -- CLEAN!
    Terre D'hermes -- woodsy. Manly. It'll either be a big no or a big yes.
    Prada Amber -- One sniff and you'll know if you love it or hate it.
    YSL l'homme -- can't go wrong there.
    Chanel Allure? Chanel Bleu?
    John Varvatos -- this isn't exactly a summer pick, but it's great. Leather/fruit/spicy. If you like it but want more of a kick, try Varvatos Vintage. I prefer and own the original.

The choice at Sephora or Macy is limited. If niche is not an option, there are a few more things you could try there. You seem to like fresher things. More intense marine (much more intense than Aqua di Gio) are Eau d'Issey and Light blue, which I strongly dislike, but intense marine they deliver. Cool water is also on the fresh side, as is New West and Dior Homme Sport.

cacio

It could be that scents just don't grab you.
    Fragrance isn't everybody's thing.
    Just pick some that you know are compliment getters, and use them as a tool. No one says you have to really like them. I have a few like that - Rive Gauche, for example.

You can try niche. I was underwhelmed by a lot of them, and have never had a positive comment from wearing them.
    Regards,
    Renato

So hard to know how another person will perceive a fragrance. Like others have mentioned, maybe it is time to try some niche, starting with some safer bets like Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, Molecule 01, or Riverside Drive. But there most likely are some great ones in the designer market that may blow your mind. Marc Jacobs for Men, Polo Blue, He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood..... who knows, maybe even something as obvious as Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger could be the one that floats your boat. The more you try, the more likely it will be you will find it. Keep hitting some of the notes that maybe you are missing.. perhaps vetivers, different citrus notes, different woods.... good starting points are usually top ten lists found all over the internet and Youtube. Keep searching and when you find your favorite, maybe we can help you find something even better

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Time so step away from 'safe' and from Sephora and Macy's.

If that doesn't net some different results, maybe fragrance isn't a hobby for you.
    I'm not sure that the OP is looking at this as a "hobby". I think he is trying to find a "signature scent", and is being somewhat picky about it (which he has the right to do).

That said, I didn't see any Chanel, Dior (other than Homme Intense) or Givenchy fragrances listed from the choices he has sampled.....so I wouldn't automatically rule out designer scents and blindly suggest niche brands. Niche isn't necessarily better....they're just more difficult to find, harder to sample before buying, and carry a heftier price tag.

My advice would be to check out the brands I mentioned (Chanel, Dior, Givenchy) and see if there might be something from on of those lines that capture his attention, but to definitely keep looking (personally....Platinum Egoiste would be my choice for one to look at and seriously consider).....

You can give Platinum Egoist a try. My wife looovvves this on me. Also, Givenchy play is one of my favorites gets me compliments all the time or give calvin klein's man a try i havent been a fan of theirs in along time but Man is a really nice masculine fragrance. I'm actually thinking of picking up a bottle. hope this helps

You need something with a WOW factor. Here's some that have done it for me:

Creed Aventus
    Cereus No.7
    He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood or Narcisso Rodriguez for Him (Major violet leaf in both of these)
    A vintage bottle of Fahrenheit
    By Killian Back to Black
    YSL M7
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    MDCI Parfums Invasion Barbare
    Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Frederic MalleMusc Ravageur
    Chanel No.22
    Ralph Lauren Polo (original)
    Chanel No.5
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Hermes Ambre Narguile
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    Amouage Reflection
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

thanks for all the responses guys. I've tried way more than I listed up there but those were less memorable and not ones I wore multiple times (including chanels, hermes etc.) I am looking for a signature, or at least something versatile enough for me to wear on 75% of occasions.

Keep sampling..thats the fun part. After that it gets serious...

You're bound to find one you truly like sooner or later.

I've done my fair share of sampling since I started getting into the fragrance game. I've tried all of the designer fragrances from Sephora, Macys, etc. and I've tried many niche fragrances. At the end of the day, my 5 favorites consist of:

1. Prada Amber Pour Homme
    2. Green Irish Tweed
    3. Fahrenheit
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Designer has failed you. Time to go niche. And don't go timidly; go straight to Knize Ten or Dzing!

Kidding.

Sort of.

...no, I'm really not. Time so step away from 'safe' and from Sephora and Macy's.

I agree with this. Step up in class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    At times like this.... there's only one fragrance that stands alone:

AVENTUS
    Come on now. Give the poor guy a chance.

Congratulations. I too have grown out of Macy's and Sephora. That is a good sign. At this point you should ask yourself what type of fragrances are you going after. Narrow it down by groups or by notes then research the best of each category and order samples. You should also consider raising your budget just a little bit. I will go up to $120 for 100ml. That isn't a lot but there are some quality options out there for that price. It depends on your taste.

Again I see this as a positive. Enjoy your quest.

Easy cure...here is the prescription....get terre, wear for 3 days straight. On 3rd day come back here and thank me.

How old are you and what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by 10dadeo View Post
    thanks for all the responses guys. I've tried way more than I listed up there but those were less memorable and not ones I wore multiple times (including chanels, hermes etc.) I am looking for a signature, or at least something versatile enough for me to wear on 75% of occasions.
    Here's what works for me: I seek out similarities. For example, I love Gucci Pour Homme II and Fahrenheit. When I gave it some thought, I realized there's something in both that I adore: Violet leaf. For me, this means I need to try DSquared Rocky Mountain Wood to see if violet does something for me too, which I kind of suspect it does. As you find things you like or dislike, try to figure out why. Eventually, things will start to click as similarities start popping up. Go through your lists of yesses maybes and nos, and see if there are any patterns. This probably means going back and sniffing those again to seek out specific notes. Doing that has helped me a lot.

Order a bunch of samples from luckyscent.

I also can't find much of interest at local dept stores.

I agree with Andylama, seems like designer may not be your thing. Try something like Geo F Trumper or Castle Forbes , these two are experts in mens .. EVERYTHING they have a shaving line which includes uniquely scented and really nicely packaged colognes.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Here's what works for me: I seek out similarities. For example, I love Gucci Pour Homme II and Fahrenheit. When I gave it some thought, I realized there's something in both that I adore: Violet leaf. For me, this means I need to try DSquared Rocky Mountain Wood to see if violet does something for me too, which I kind of suspect it does. As you find things you like or dislike, try to figure out why. Eventually, things will start to click as similarities start popping up. Go through your lists of yesses maybes and nos, and see if there are any patterns. This probably means going back and sniffing those again to seek out specific notes. Doing that has helped me a lot.
    One of my favorite notes, too. I haven't tried Rocky Mountain Wood yet but do like the other two aforementioned scents. I like the combo of it with pink pepper in l'homme libre as well. Have you tried that?

Chanel Egoiste
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by Winterbourne View Post
    One of my favorite notes, too. I haven't tried Rocky Mountain Wood yet but do like the other two aforementioned scents. I like the combo of it with pink pepper in l'homme libre as well. Have you tried that?
    Guess what just jumped to the top of my Must Try list

UPDATE: Oof. Nope. Tried it over lunch. No can do.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 10th July 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    I agree with this. Step up in class.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on now. Give the poor guy a chance.

:lol:
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Banned
    Blog Entries

chanel egoiste
    dior fahrenheit
    versace dreamer

Banned

Try:

Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley - One is initially treated to an enchanting, herbaceous melange. Violet leaf with its marked greenness, akin to grass clippings, couples with the bittersweetness of bergamot as well as the sweetly floral and faintly woody aroma of mimosa. An illusion of a hay-stacked pasture is consummated. Transitioning to the heart, a nascent, leathery castoreum blooms, while lovely black locust adds its indolic, orange blossom flavor and hawthorne imparts its slightly honey and almond aspect to the exquisite opening blend. Immersed in the augmented mixture, the resplendent leather takes on a refined, suede-like aura. An undercurrent of aubepine, with its slightly rose-like odor and anise-like facet, as well as the wintergreen of birch carries the luxurious, leather concoction to the waiting base. The sumptuous leather is lifted by the woody birch, which comes into its own, with its somewhat medicinal and spearmint facets marrying with the earthy grassiness of vetiver as well as the pencil shavings of Virginia cedar. An elegant drydown ensues. A majestic scent for all seasons, this polished, masculine composition has average projection and good longevity, 8-10 hours.

&

L'Essence de Cerruti by Cerruti - One is initially treated to an invigorating bergamot, with its orangey bittersweetness and peppery facets. The freshness of the bergamot commingles with the compost-like and ever-so-slight barnyard aspects of white pepper. Segueing to the middle, the mintiness of birch encases the fresh opening, and infuses its wintergreen sweetness. A raw and somewhat phenolic leather wafts lightly in the background along with the hay-like character of saffron. Transitioning to the comforting base, a creamy cedar infuses its resinous and camphoraceous woodiness, along with the sweetly vanillic and faintly earthy quality of amber. A sensual, fur/skin-like and warm musk also presents. An alluring drydown ensues. This masculine composition is well blended, and has good longevity, 8+ hours, and average projection, being light enough for an office scent. Given its very reasonable, price point, this versatile and somewhat elegant composition is worthy of purchase.

I agree with Dorje123: try some samples from luckyscent.com. They carry a wide array of niche house offerings, do a nice job of describing the fragrance and have affordable samples. Research their site, sample, and I bet you will find one or more that you really like.

Email Ormonde and ask them for a sample of Ormonde Man. You can thank me later.

Without knowing where you live or what you currently own, it's tough to make specific suggestions. What are your five favorite fragrances that you own? This might give some clue as to what you might like out there.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The only useful words in here, listen to this man.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

On a more serious note than before...

I don't know where you are located, but if you are within reasonable driving distance of Los Angeles, Phoenix, or NYC, you are close to some really excellent stand-alone perfume boutiques (Scent Bar, The Perfume Shoppe, and Aedes de Venustas, respectively), so GO THERE. (There are others, but these are the ones I've personally been to and can vouch for) Spend an afternoon with the salesperson. Ask questions, smell everything. It's easy when hundreds of testers are laid out in front of you...think Sephora x 5.

Broaden your horizons...and do it in person. It's worth making a special trip.

On a more serious note than before...

I don't know where you are located, but if you are within reasonable driving distance of Los Angeles, Phoenix, or NYC, you are close to some really excellent stand-alone perfume boutiques (Scent Bar, The Perfume Shoppe, and Aedes de Venustas, respectively), so GO THERE. (There are others, but these are the ones I've personally been to and can vouch for) Spend an afternoon with the salesperson. Ask questions, smell everything. It's easy when hundreds of testers are laid out in front of you...think Sephora x 5.

Broaden your horizons...and do it in person. It's worth making a special trip.
    I like your suggestion. I think I will do that. I always feel goofy trying out testers at stores but its frustrating when you can't find anything you like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Without knowing where you live or what you currently own, it's tough to make specific suggestions. What are your five favorite fragrances that you own? This might give some clue as to what you might like out there.
    I live in NJ so we get all four seasons and it does get pretty hot and humid as well as freezing cold here. I don't have five favorites unfortunately lol... its hard to become a favorite I guess but of all the ones I've owned.. Bvlgari PH soir. And not because I liked the smell of it so much, though it was good, not invasive and light enough, but that It was so versatile. I ended up deciding It was a bit mature for me. (i'm 22)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Try:

Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley - One is initially treated to an enchanting, herbaceous melange. Violet leaf with its marked greenness, akin to grass clippings, couples with the bittersweetness of bergamot as well as the sweetly floral and faintly woody aroma of mimosa. An illusion of a hay-stacked pasture is consummated. Transitioning to the heart, a nascent, leathery castoreum blooms, while lovely black locust adds its indolic, orange blossom flavor and hawthorne imparts its slightly honey and almond aspect to the exquisite opening blend. Immersed in the augmented mixture, the resplendent leather takes on a refined, suede-like aura. An undercurrent of aubepine, with its slightly rose-like odor and anise-like facet, as well as the wintergreen of birch carries the luxurious, leather concoction to the waiting base. The sumptuous leather is lifted by the woody birch, which comes into its own, with its somewhat medicinal and spearmint facets marrying with the earthy grassiness of vetiver as well as the pencil shavings of Virginia cedar. An elegant drydown ensues. A majestic scent for all seasons, this polished, masculine composition has average projection and good longevity, 8-10 hours.

&

L'Essence de Cerruti by Cerruti - One is initially treated to an invigorating bergamot, with its orangey bittersweetness and peppery facets. The freshness of the bergamot commingles with the compost-like and ever-so-slight barnyard aspects of white pepper. Segueing to the middle, the mintiness of birch encases the fresh opening, and infuses its wintergreen sweetness. A raw and somewhat phenolic leather wafts lightly in the background along with the hay-like character of saffron. Transitioning to the comforting base, a creamy cedar infuses its resinous and camphoraceous woodiness, along with the sweetly vanillic and faintly earthy quality of amber. A sensual, fur/skin-like and warm musk also presents. An alluring drydown ensues. This masculine composition is well blended, and has good longevity, 8+ hours, and average projection, being light enough for an office scent. Given its very reasonable, price point, this versatile and somewhat elegant composition is worthy of purchase.
    Wow, you write so well. Thank you for those great descriptions. I like the sound of Essence de cerruti since I seem to enjoy fresh openings with earthy notes and vanilla in the basenotes. Definitely will sample that.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, i know some notes that i like based on what i've smelled

mint, bergamont, or floral citrus in the top, lavender in the middle, and in the base sandalwood or other woods and vanilla, amber or musk. seems like a lot of scents are like this but few really smell how i expect
    Last edited by 10dadeo; 11th July 2012 at 03:43 AM.