Code of Conduct

Question Father - looking for fragrance for teenage girl (birthday)

Well my teenage daughter is turning 17 next weekend and I have already made my mind up that I am going to get her a brand new perfume. I am not sure if I can explain what she likes because I am not 100% sure what she likes, apparently I bought her some perfume from the mall a few years ago that came in a tall bottle and my daughter absolutely loved it but neither of us have any idea what it might have been nor what it really smelled like .

Anyways I have been looking around and I think I will be getting her the True Religion Hippie Chic gift set for 78$ at either Macy's or Dillards, from what I have read about this scent and from the reviews I think it would be fine. My question would be do you think this is fine for a teenage girl? Especially one that likes to spritz a couple of times on her heck, couple of times on her shirt and a good spritz in her hair .

Just incase Hippie Chic is not a good teen scent then here is a little info -----
    I am not sure if this info will be of any help but I gave her my bottle of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour homme since I thought it was a little to light for me and she thought it smelled manly at first but is warming up to it.
    Also after smelling my bottle of Versace pour homme she covered her self in it (this is how I found out how much she sprays on herself ). Plus she also took my bottle of Cerruti Image.... not that I cared because it smelled a little soapy to me.

Blah I am long winded but I hope this helps.

PS. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Default Re: Father - looking for fragrance for teenage girl (birthday)

D&G Light Blue for women is a classic. Many young girls wear it.

Hard choice - but good that your daughter seems to follow your advice and taste. Back at my age, whatever came from parents (apart from money, that is) was, by definition, tasteless, old style, uncool etc.

I am not a fan of the scents you mentioned, but, of course, tastes differ. One thing that can be sprayed with abandon and I like is Kenzo Flower. The best thing I can think of at Macy's are things like Estee Lauder Azuree and Private collection, or Chanel Cristalle, but these are older style perfumes I doubt your daughter would like.

Incidentally, Light blue too light for you? To my nose, Light blue for men is one of the most intense, long lasting, sharp scents. But then, I am hypersensitive to marine notes.

cacio

I agree with D&G Light Blue, the female version. It is a common fragrance among young women, at least around here.

Banned

Tommy Girl. Use it while you're young.

Bvlgari Omnia Amethyste or Green Jade.
    Last edited by Candide; 10th July 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Go to Lush and get her some Breath of God.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'm going to suggest Love by Chloé. Soft, powdery floral that is grown-up without being too formal.
    Should be widely available.

Tommy Girl is actually a very underrated classic, that's an excellent call. Alternatively you could go for something along the lines of Mugler Angel EDP, which come in nice gift box sets.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Go to Lush and get her some Breath of God.
    Lol, I think I have read to many bad things about this one to even let her try it , I am not protecting her but rather those around her.

As for the rest of you, thanks for the suggestions. This time around I may want to stay clear of the floral (well heavy floral) scents until I get a good idea of what she enjoys. I would like to just get her something kind of fruity and uplifting.

As for the D&G light blue for women... since I just gave her my bottle of D&G light blue I do not want to duplicate (in name anyways). I will take her shopping in the future and let her smell D&G light blue for women and if she likes it better I will get her some and she can give the D&G light blue for men to my son.

Edit..

Another Fragrance I was thinking of was Katy Perry Purr, from what I have read this has a really nice fruity scent and it has a really cute bottle as well . However I still may be leaning more towards the Hippie Chic because it is sold in a gift set as well. Hmm... maybe I will just get her both.
    Last edited by Hammy01; 10th July 2012 at 02:02 PM.

Basenotes Plus

How about DKNY "Be Delicious". I think the latest is Golden.

Basenotes Institution

Why don't you take her shopping with you and she can choose a scent she likes ? It would be a fun day out and a birthday treat ! You know, us women love to go shopping .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Many houses have coffrets/mini sets. Sometimes these come in a box of like four or five that have minis..she can try them all and see what she likes the most. DKNY has some, here's one I found just off the bat but maybe you could find more:

http://www.amazon.com/Dkny-Mini-4pc-.../dp/B0087PMB8E

Burberry usually has a mini set as well.

Here's one by Escada, a fruity line:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/e...xx.esn_results

Macy's is a good place to go for perfume sets/mini sets/coffrets. Here, it's all about the Vera Wang Princess for the younger ones, at least I think that's still popular. Also try Sephora to test stuff out if you have one near by. There's also rollerball gift sets. I would maybe have her test some out, maybe go shopping with dad to pick one out, make it a dad/daughter day. Good luck!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Thierry Mugler 4 piece coffret set, includes Angel, Angel Innocent, Alien and Womanity. It's $50.00 and very cute.
    http://www.muglerstoreusa.com/TM-Cof...omen&start=112

Hi Hammy01!

That True Religion Hippie Chic gift set sounds perfect for her, and it's definitely right for a seventeen yr. old. ...actually, I'd guess that she's their intended audience. And it has some interesting notes - pomegranate and hibiscus aren't found in just every fruity-floral out there, so it sounds like it'll be more distinctive than lots of the mainstream fragrances currently aimed at teens (actually, I love a good fruity-floral - I'd be interested in having a sniff of it myself! ) You've obviously done your research and put some thought into it, so I'd say you can't go wrong if you go with your gut - I think the fact that you personally chose it will make it extra special.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

@Palmbeach - DKNY "Be Delicious" may work out great because green is her absolute favorite color and I think she likes the smell of apples as well.

@Kiliwia - are the Thierry Mugler scents you listed a little to strong for a teenage girl (one that may over apply)? If not then one other thing that caught my eye was an Thierry Mugler Alien Loyalty set at Dillards (I love the carry case that comes with the set. http://www.dillards.com/product/Thie...df=03717715_zi
    However for the price of this I may just end up getting her two of something else.

As for taking her shopping, that will not work out because she has plans with her girlfriends all weekend..... shopping with dad does not compete with a fun filled weekend with the girlfriends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Hi Hammy01!

That True Religion Hippie Chic gift set sounds perfect for her, and it's definitely right for a seventeen yr. old. ...actually, I'd guess that she's their intended audience. And it has some interesting notes - pomegranate and hibiscus aren't found in just every fruity-floral out there, so it sounds like it'll be more distinctive than lots of the mainstream fragrances currently aimed at teens (actually, I love a good fruity-floral - I'd be interested in having a sniff of it myself! ) You've obviously done your research and put some thought into it, so I'd say you can't go wrong if you go with your gut - I think the fact that you personally chose it will make it extra special.
    This is kind of what I was thinking but wanted a little feed back on it. My daughter has the kind of Hippie free spirit / loving heart, in fact she may be a closet hippie minus the hippie clothes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post

As for taking her shopping, that will not work out because she has plans with her girlfriends all weekend..... shopping with dad does not compete with a fun filled weekend with the girlfriends.
    LOL! Isn't that the truth.

This is kind of what I was thinking but wanted a little feed back on it. My daughter has the kind of Hippie free spirit / loving heart, in fact she may be a closet hippie minus the hippie clothes.
    She sounds great, and it sounds like you know her pretty well ...she's a lucky girl! Go with the Hippie Chic, it really seems perfect for her. And if you do, I'd love to know how she likes it, and I'd love to hear your impressions of it, too! (I take it you haven't smelled it yet ...?) But whatever you choose, have fun with it and good luck, and let us know how everything goes!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

@Kiliwia - are the Thierry Mugler scents you listed a little to strong for a teenage girl (one that may over apply)?
    I know plenty of girls that age that like Alien and Angel, but you could be right that she'd think they are too old and/or strong for her. I actually liked Hippie Chic when I tried samples of it and it sounds like it would suit her personality. Prada Candy is another one that you can spray alot of and it's hard to over do, my daughter loves it, but she's 26 so that's quite a bit older.

I think it's great you want to give her a special gift and really want to make it just right. She's a lucky girl to have a dad like you!!

How about Coco Madmoiselle. Great for a younger woman but very classy.

***UPDATE***

Ok so after work tonight I stopped by Macy's with the intention of picking up the Hippie Chic gift set and maybe a t-shirt for my Daughter but I wanted to smell the Hippie Chic just to make sure. First off this stuff smells great and in my opinion it is a perfect teen scent, I am pretty sure I can smell pomegranate / berries with a light floral back ground. This one went into the shopping cart, plus they gave me a free Hippie chic tote bag and a Ed Hardy beach towel.

Now I was going to go and look for a t-shirt for my daughter but the sales lady got me to sniffing a few more frags and one of those she had me try was D&G Light blue for WOMEN (lol), I had originally written this off because I had just given her my D&G light blue for MEN. Well I made a mistake because the womens version is citrus heaven and in my opinion may be better than the mens version. Long story short the D&G gift set made it into my cart as well (thanks to all who suggested this one).

After the shopping was done I headed to my ex's house to give my daughter her gifts and drum rolls *tat* *tat* *tat* *tat*.... she absolutely loved them. She sprayed the Hippie chic on her wrist and spent a good 10 minutes just sniffing and smiling. She then sprayed the D&G light blue on its box and kept smelling it as well. She was also very thrilled about the free tote bag and towel .

PS. because I bought two gift sets they gave me nice personal sprayer filled with what ever I wanted so I had them fill it with I think Flora by Gucci Eau Fraiche Gucci for women (gave this one to my mother), I know it was one of the Flora scents and I am pretty sure it was this one because it had a wonderful citrus / floral / green smell to it. This fragrance is wonderful stuff and I would recommend it to all the ladies.

I am sorry for being so long winded but I would like to say thanks for the feedback and suggestions from my fellow BN sisters and brothers! You all made a 17 year old girl very happy

Basenotes Plus

Glad to hear you were a big hit with your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Tommy Girl is actually a very underrated classic, that's an excellent call. Alternatively you could go for something along the lines of Mugler Angel EDP, which come in nice gift box sets.
    Tommy is an excellent choice IMHO.
    Estee Lauder White Linen is still lovely and young.
    If she likes big scents Coco Mademoiselle in an EDT is a good choice.