Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

I am not sure what makes this and #5 be in common, but both have a floral I am smelling not from my arm but from the paper right now -- LOTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I am not sure what makes this and #5 be in common, but both have a floral I am smelling not from my arm but from the paper right now -- LOTV.
    Excellent on the floral ID! That makes two of you who identified Muguet/LOTV. Here is the updated list of confirmed notes and observations:

Rose
    Jasmine
    Muguet/Lily of the Valley
    Musk
    Sandalwood
    Vanilla

On the inexpensive side.

Listed notes not yet identified: one more floral note, one more wood note, and the aforementioned spice/herb. All three are fairly hard to pick up from sniffing, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Warum has now correctly identified Sample A! Congratulations!!!

OVincze, if you are able to check in again today (tonight for you), please let us know if you want us to reveal A or give you more time with it.

Do you all think we should wait until Monday to continue, as we know OV is unable to be with us this weekend? W, DD, and J: please let me know your availability and your opinion regarding how to proceed!

- - - Updated - - -

(This is so weird – some of my new posts won't become new. They just add to my previous posts. Never had this problem before!)

- - - Updated - - -

Darn it! I can't seem to start a new post. Perhaps the software automatically does an "edit" when the last person posting in a thread posts again??? This happened even after I tried logging out and logging back in!
    Last edited by Haunani; 13th July 2012 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Whew, sample A is conquered.
    I am not sorry that I turned the pretty youth away from my door, but I am looking forward to another visitor

I can do EVERYTHING. Weekend (not all day but some time in the afternoon and evening, times not set, I can be flexible). Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday -- all day. I'm easy!

Good job, Warum!
    I already sprayed B and I like it much more than A, so who knows? Maybe you'll want to open the door this time.
    Tonight, I need to go out to buy some food. I will be available both on Saturday and on Sunday, but most likely not all day. On Monday (And in fact through the entire week), as I mentioned, I will only be available in the evenings.

Well, let's take B leisurely, then, over the weekend AND on Monday. Give it some thought, post your impressions and discussion as you'd like, and we won't rush the confirmations. I like it much better than A, too, DD. :-)

OVincze, if you get a chance, please do let us know how you feel about having us reveal the identity of A.

Blog Entries

So we're not doing B today and I can use another arm to try some samples that just arrived in the mail?

So we're not doing B today and I can use another arm to try some samples that just arrived in the mail?
    Well, since DD is more available now and you've both already spritzed it, I say go ahead and post your impressions this weekend, but we'll also wait for O to catch up some on Monday! You can decide about your second arm. :-)

Blog Entries

I haven't sprayed B yet! I'll wait for OV or tomorrow, whichever comes first

I haven't sprayed B yet! I'll wait for OV or tomorrow, whichever comes first
    OK! That is just fine! I'll check back later. Perhaps DD would like to post some observations about B while she has more time.

queen of the universe

Yep. if you post consecutively, it rolls it into one with the grey "Updated" thingie.

- - - Updated - - -

Like this (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Is this a new thing, J? I don't like it!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Yep. if you post consecutively, it rolls it into one with the grey "Updated" thingie.

- - - Updated - - -

Like this (;

Hi everyone,

Things have gotten really hectic here. Sorry for not being able to check in last night. I will try to guess now but otherwise you can reveal it. I too thought powdery. Yes powdery can be iris and moss agreed, moss is likely to me as well, also I initially thought muguet and not lily... no guess yet. If it is a problem then you can reveal, I am really sorry but over the weekend I am extremely busy with guests and will have no time till Monday, hope you can understand. Have a great weekend everyone.

Hi O! I'm glad you checked in. We'll wait a bit for you to guess, and then reveal Sample A later today. However, let's wait until Monday to officially start Sample B. However, W and DD, please feel free to spend some time with Sample B this weekend, and J and I can respond to your comments! DD starts a new job on Monday (best wishes!), and can't join us until evening.

You are right about the muguet, but there is not moss or iris. The bit of powderiness is caused by something else, I think something not listed among the notes. One hint for you: There is a spice/herb that has not yet been revealed we use the leaves and the seeds of this plant in cooking. In the case of this perfume, I believe the seeds were used.

Quote Originally Posted by OVincze View Post
    Hi everyone,

Things have gotten really hectic here. Sorry for not being able to check in last night. I will try to guess now but otherwise you can reveal it. I too thought powdery. Yes powdery can be iris and moss agreed, moss is likely to me as well, also I initially thought muguet and not lily... no guess yet. If it is a problem then you can reveal, I am really sorry but over the weekend I am extremely busy with guests and will have no time till Monday, hope you can understand. Have a great weekend everyone.

Hi ladies. I am getting ready to try sample B. But I may have sprayed C by mistake. Not sure...

Update! A spectator has correctly guessed the identity of Sample A! Congratulations to RainDropSparkle for her successful sleuthing, and thanks to her for playing along!

- - - Updated - - -

DD, they should be clearly labeled. There will be a B marked at the bottom of the atomizer. Eager to hear your impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Hi ladies. I am getting ready to try sample B. But I may have sprayed C by mistake. Not sure...

They ARE clearly labeled! And I thought I sprayed the correct one. Only now that I re-sprayed a tiny bit...it sort of smells different. Do not worry, I am spraying it on paper again.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Update! A spectator has correctly guessed the identity of Sample A! Congratulations to RainDropSparkle for her successful sleuthing, and thanks to her for playing along!

- - - Updated - - -

DD, they should be clearly labeled. There will be a B marked at the bottom of the atomizer. Eager to hear your impressions!

OK, I won't worry, dear DD! :-)

They ARE clearly labeled! And I thought I sprayed the correct one. Only now that I re-sprayed a tiny bit...it sort of smells different. Do not worry, I am spraying it on paper again.

queen of the universe

I am remiss not to take note of Haunani's elegant presentation, with a beautiful note and the darling floral zip pouch. Just lovely!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Thanks, J! I'm glad you like the floral pouch. It's always nice to have things like that for makeup, jewelry, and the like! I got them from an Etsy vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    I am remiss not to take note of Haunani's elegant presentation, with a beautiful note and the darling floral zip pouch. Just lovely!

Some first impressions about B. It is again clear. It seems fairly strong, so it could even be edp.
    I believe it is a higher end designer, the kind that might be sold in a department store. The flowers are much more evident than in B. It does not seem terribly original or ground breaking, but good nonetheless. It strongly reminds me of something I have smelled before but I can;t remember it at all. I am sure it is feminine.
    I cannot say I necessarily smell any specific citrus but there is something. The first flowers I would like to suggest are violet and rose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    let's wait until Monday to officially start Sample B. However, W and DD, please feel free to spend some time with Sample B this weekend, and J and I can respond to your comments! DD starts a new job on Monday (best wishes!), and can't join us until evening.
    Rock on, sounds perfect to me. I will smell the sample B over the weekend and will post my impressions, and we'll get to wait for OV to add to our impressions. Her Monday will be our Sunday night/veeeeeery early Monday morning anyways. Awesome!

Glad it works for you. Looks like DD has made a good start, too! Let's see what you two agree on....
    --

Rock on, sounds perfect to me. I will smell the sample B over the weekend and will post my impressions, and we'll get to wait for OV to add to our impressions. Her Monday will be our Sunday night/veeeeeery early Monday morning anyways. Awesome!

I think I would add jasmine. Maybe it is an edt after all. It disappeared almost completely by now.

Basenotes Institution

Hi ladies. Nice to be with you all, just got our Internet hooked up last night, some of you know that we have moved, same town, two streets down.

B is very very nice, I want tons of it right now, no matter what the price is (I agree with DD about the higher end and will add that it might be over $65 for 50ml). Long lasting.

Now that Twolf is here, she is gonna whip us into shape in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Hi ladies. Nice to be with you all, just got our Internet hooked up last night, some of you know that we have moved, same town, two streets down.

B is very very nice, I want tons of it right now, no matter what the price is (I agree with DD about the higher end and will add that it might be over $65 for 50ml). Long lasting.
    Twolf, it's good to see you! I wondered where you were. I'm glad that you like B. I really like it, too!

Now that Twolf is here, she is gonna whip us into shape in no time!
    Oh no! You are right, DD​! Still, I'm glad she's here. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some of DD's guesses about Sample B, in list form. What do others think?

Higher end designer
    Feminine
    EdP or EdT
    Violet
    Rose
    Jasmine

Twolf, you are really one of the sniffers, too, as you have a set of samples. Please feel free to play along. As you see, we're taking this one slowly so that OVincze will have a chance to participate on Monday.

I will add lemon (?), bergamote, musk and an yet unidentified wood.

Blog Entries

God, dear God, please please please damn the blind dates. Forever.
    ...my friends set up that one for me. They did not know what will happen. And everything started out so nicely...

So he knocked on my door and I opened and looked outside. A perfumista and a guy who's wearing a lovely cologne! What a good start! A young man with a winning smile, smelling like some grass, verbena and lemon rind. His green eyes are shining and I almost fell and drown in this gaze. Trying to stop staring, I look aside -- and see a bouquet of flowers he is holding behind. Oh... should I not have looked? Did I spoil a surprise? His eyes give me a long stare, not green, grey, all of a sudden. He pulled out a bouquet -- what a strange bouquet. Violets, irises and one calla lily. Dark purple and bright white. Elegant, extremely elegant. Cold. Why did his stare get so cold?..

"Wouldn't you like to go to the Opera," he says. No matter what I do, even if I put on my best dress, I will not be able to match that bouquet. Help me God! I will stay the whole night at the Opera, suffocating both by the feeling of inadequacy and by the smell of powder and amber. Every one of these women is more elegant than I. All of them know what to do, what to say, how to smile.

God damn the blind dates. I know he will not call again.

- - - Updated - - -

Aha, DD and I both landed on a violet. And I daresay if Wolfie likes it, that confirms my iris guess (congrats on moving, surviving and getting online! Russians say that moving equals one fire and one flood).

Higher end designer, yes. Very refined, as you probably had gotten from my story. Very very refined and elegant. Somewhat subdued. Drydown lasts forever on me. DD, it may have disappeared from you, or it may have become a skin scent. I find the drydown very much of a skin scent -- but it is a skin perfumed with ambery powder.

It does have a pyramidal structure -- green/lemon verbena/lemon top, floral, mainly irisy heart and ambery powdery drydown.
    I would also say modern, sheer, can be Prada style and aesthetics.
    Last edited by Warum; 14th July 2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: duplicate

Ah, more guesses from DD and a smile-inducing short story from W. I'm loving this! As we said, we will take this one slowly, but I will confirm two notes, lemon and violet, because two sniffers have guessed them correctly. We'll wait for more agreement before confirming other guesses, though three of you suggested that this is a quality designer fragrance, and I agree with that assessment.

Very impressive, all of you!

What a cute little story!

I agree with Warum on the iris.