Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    OV, I hope you will have a chance to come over and play with B. There's two of us working on it. I do not know what B is, but during a hike I smelled a couple of other notes, and I hope to hear your impressions -- two of us we can get these confirmed.
    Congratulations to Warum, who has now correctly identified B!

Her message made me laugh, because it started like this: "Please tell me this is not ________...."

Warum, what are the other notes you picked up during your hike? Perhaps we can confirm one or two more for OVincze and spectators. It's late evening for OVincze, and I'm really hoping she'll have the time to have some fun with B!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Her message made me laugh, because it started like this: "Please tell me this is not ________...."
    Yes, because it was one of these names that I kept getting and just saying "nope."

Warum, what are the other notes you picked up during your hike? Perhaps we can confirm one or two more for OVincze and spectators. It's late evening for OVincze, and I'm really hoping she'll have the time to have some fun with B!
    I picked up rose among the florals and a hint of vanilla in the base. I know now that not both these are correct

....I picked up rose among the florals and a hint of vanilla in the base. I know now that not both these are correct
    Good job picking up the rose! I believe DD guessed that one earlier, too. Here is the updated confirmed info for Sample B, for OVincze and any spectators who'd like to take a stab at guessing:

• Quality/higher-end designer fragrance
    • Created before 1989, but has a modern vibe
    • Not from Italy, because A was from Italy
    • Has no red berries
    • Has aldehydes
    • Has lemon, violet, iris, sandalwood, rose

For further clues and discussion, take a look at Post #98 and the ones following that.

Let's stay on Sample B until we hear from O.
    Last edited by Haunani; 16th July 2012 at 10:20 PM.

Warum, please answer my question when you have a chance to.

Hi, ladies. I am back from work.:P I survived the commute and all.

I sprayed some C last night before going to bed. When are we going to play with it?

P.S. Twolf, your pricing skills are veeeery impressive. What is even more interesting is that they suggest that perfume pricing is not exactly random and only based on brand name. But this needs to be discussed some more. It gives me ideas for an experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Hi, ladies. I am back from work.:P I survived the commute and all.

I sprayed some C last night before going to bed. When are we going to play with it?

P.S. Twolf, your pricing skills are veeeery impressive. What is even more interesting is that they suggest that perfume pricing is not exactly random and only based on brand name. But this needs to be discussed some more. It gives me ideas for an experiment.
    Hi DD! I'm glad you got to and from work safely. I have some C on today, too.

I join you in admiring Twolf's pricing guess, and I like the idea of an experiment!

We're still hoping that OVincze won't miss out on having a chance to guess B, so let's give her the rest of the day. Sniffers can start posting about C tomorrow (or if you're going to work bright and early, DD, please feel free to write something here tonight).

Scheduled to have a dental appointment tomorrow, taking a scared friend with me too -- people should be sharing the names and services they enjoy, right? LOL

I will try to post when I can, but I do not believe that C is going to be easy at all. LOL again

I hope all is good with OV and I am all for waiting for her to be able to join us.

Twolf, good luck with the dental appointment. I hope it is only a check up.

queen of the universe

C is more up my alley than the previous two.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Warum, please answer my question when you have a chance to.
    Oh, sorry. Will do in a sec. It already been discussed on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    C is more up my alley than the previous two.
    Makes me look forward to it even more!

I thought I had nailed B but nooooooo.

Can sniffers bear in mind spectators want to guess too when posting thoughts. Just by way of elaboration really.

- - - Updated - - -

A watcher question to sniffers or hosts...

Is this B totally clear? All the likely seeming frags are pale or coloured so far...

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I thought I had nailed B but nooooooo.

Can sniffers bear in mind spectators want to guess too when posting thoughts. Just by way of elaboration really.

- - - Updated - - -

A watcher question to sniffers or hosts...

Is this B totally clear? All the likely seeming frags are pale or coloured so far...
    Hi Mumsy! You bring up a good point. I think we've been playing things a little close to the vest because we didn't want it to spoil it for our third sniffer, if she comes back. Sorry!

This fragrance is sort of a pale straw color, in real life.

- - - Updated - - -

Tuesday Morning Update: Our spectator Mumsy has correctly identified Sample B! Congratulations, Mumsy, and thank you for playing along!

I will be in and out today (what's your schedule, J?), but since we haven't heard from O, I think our other sniffers should feel free to start talking about Sample C, if they wish.

We'll wait to post the reveal of Sample B for a few more hours, just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

no sorrys needed as it was just an ask... but thank you anyway.

Blog Entries

Mumsy, will you be able to give me an example by how to do it? An example of a thought that is helpful for a spectator? I used to play along in all sniffs until this year, so I always care about spectators but it is good to know how to care well so please, if you feel like you can, help me by showing what works! Thanks!

I had to admit, I sprayed C in my journal last night, and I was very surprised. I fell asleep before I experienced its full development though and right now I still smell like my Bluebell body lotion (from last night!) so I will shower, then shower myself with C, give my journal another dose of it and will post. Wait for me, I will come! Whoo-hooo!

- - - Updated - - -

Haunani, may I ask a quick question? When we do 3*3*3, do you use F's family classifications?
    Or some other ones?

....Haunani, may I ask a quick question? When we do 3*3*3, do you use F's family classifications?
    Or some other ones?
    Hi! For the purposes of planning for this sniff, I did use the Fragrantica classifications. However, I don't necessarily agree with all their classifications, including the one for B.

will you be able to give me an example by how to do it? An example of a thought that is helpful for a spectator? I used to play along in all sniffs until this year, so I always care about spectators but it is good to know how to care well so please, if you feel like you can, help me by showing what works! Thanks!
    I'll try..... but I'm only doing it to be helpful long term and not just for this sniff, so please don't anyone take me wrong.
    It's up to us spectators to ask questions too. I'm not having a go at anyone, any quotes are just for examples and not personal.

Maybe try to imagine having written your description that in each post there is a book to be written and your reader only has the written word to go on. What colour do you think these frags are?

'Almost perfectly clear...' 'Clear, almost white liquid....' 'It is again clear....' '..and B is clear'

They were actually straw coloured. That may just be happening because the sample vials are thin or maybe the photos online are incorrect and the descriptions are accurate. It would be interesting to put the vials over a piece of paper to check.

To imagine you are the character in the story and telling one of the other characters in words that convey imagery and smell. The post 13 does this very well. The words are descriptive, suggestive and evocative. The lovely stories in post 24 and 58. They do that well too.

I'll try an example all about a cheap old fashioned frag (an imaginary one)
    Sample x is :- nasty/stinks/disgusting = hopeless
    Sample x is :- I wouldn't wear this it's something my granny would wear = not much help unless descriptively supported
    Sample x is :- powdery in a floral way with a sharp urinous note which isn't citrus, but more animalic = good

Just stuff like that really..... the former aren't actually doing anything wrong but need descriptive support.

I've got a silly question... Can someone enlighten me as to what a 3*3*3 means?

Blog Entries

perfume pricing is not exactly random and only based on brand name. But this needs to be discussed some more. It gives me ideas for an experiment.
    Would love to know about the experiment, Darkdreams!

Hi! For the purposes of planning for this sniff, I did use the Fragrantica classifications. However, I don't necessarily agree with all their classifications, including the one for B.
    I seem to seriously disagree with a one for C!

I will post a review when I decide whether I open the door for the last messenger with a bouquet

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try..... but I'm only doing it to be helpful long term and not just for this sniff, so please don't anyone take me wrong.
    It's up to us spectators to ask questions too. I'm not having a go at anyone, any quotes are just for examples and not personal.

Maybe try to imagine having written your description that in each post there is a book to be written and your reader only has the written word to go on. What colour do you think these frags are?

'Almost perfectly clear...' 'Clear, almost white liquid....' 'It is again clear....' '..and B is clear'

They were actually straw coloured. That may just be happening because the sample vials are thin or maybe the photos online are incorrect and the descriptions are accurate. It would be interesting to put the vials over a piece of paper to check.

To imagine you are the character in the story and telling one of the other characters in words that convey imagery and smell. The post 13 does this very well. The words are descriptive, suggestive and evocative. The lovely stories in post 24 and 58. They do that well too.

I'll try an example all about a cheap old fashioned frag (an imaginary one)
    Sample x is :- nasty/stinks/disgusting = hopeless
    Sample x is :- I wouldn't wear this it's something my granny would wear = not much help unless descriptively supported
    Sample x is :- powdery in a floral way with a sharp urinous note which isn't citrus, but more animalic = good

Just stuff like that really..... the former aren't actually doing anything wrong but need descriptive support.

I've got a silly question... Can someone enlighten me as to what a 3*3*3 means?
    Yep, thanks! Color is a toughie. It really is clear in the vials, and H knows what color the liquid is in the bottle. And it would be different. I sometimes use wine/other drink reference. B was clear as water to me. C could even be a Chardonnay. It is pale yellow and there's more of shades of pale yellow that I can possibly distinguish.

And 3*3*3 = 3 samples, each has at least 3 floral notes, each comes from a different country (3 countries total) and each is from a different floral family according to Fragrantica (3 families total).

So we can now eliminate 1 country (Italy) and 1 floral family (floral aldehyde) since we all here know the identity of sample A (revealed). Those of us who guessed sample B can add one more country and one more family.

...I seem to seriously disagree with a one for C!
    I will post a review when I decide whether I open the door for the last messenger with a bouquet
    Ha! So you think it fits one of our previous classifications, W?

Everyone please go ahead and post impressions for Sample C. I haven't heard from O yet. :-(
    I hope all is OK with her!

DD, how was your second day of commute and job?

I will be at a class for part of the evening. Will plan on posting the reveal for Sample B late this evening, my time.
    Last edited by Haunani; 17th July 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Ha! So you think it fits one of our previous classifications, W?

Everyone please go ahead and post impressions for Sample C. I haven't heard from O yet. :-(
    I hope all is OK with her!

DD, how was your second day of commute and job?

I will be at a class for part of the evening. Will plan on posting the reveal for Sample B late this evening, my time.
    Yes I do! As a matter of fact, it reminds me of many fragrances (NOT including Mariella Burani and Chanel #5 Eau Premierre) which are members of the same family as the one of the sample A!

Did you PM OV? is she not responding?

Yes I do! As a matter of fact, it reminds me of many fragrances (NOT including Mariella Burani and Chanel #5 Eau Premierre) which are members of the same family as the one of the sample A!

Did you PM OV? is she not responding?
    I don't quite agree with the classification of B on Fragrantica, either, by the way!

I did PM OV, and have not heard back. As I said, I hope all is well with her.

Blog Entries

I don't quite agree with the classification of B on Fragrantica, either, by the way!

I did PM OV, and have not heard back. As I said, I hope all is well with her.
    Neither do I. But that one does not bug we as bad as the C since C is current
    Yes, I hope so too. And with her guests that she had over the weekend....

Hello ladies. I just got home minutes ago. It was a looong day.
    I too emailed OV and haven;t heard back. I know she was going through some personal things lately (not bad, just issues). I hope she will join us eventually. I need to make a salad for dinner but I will spray C and try to post something later.

Good to hear from both of you! I'm eager to hear your first impressions of C! I will be out for three hours this evening, but perhaps J will be around! Will check in later...

Just sprayed C. If mumsy or anyone else is following: this one looks a pale yellow color, darker than B.

My first impression is that it must be an older one. It seems very green to me.

Blog Entries

Well, here I am with my impressions of C. One last story.

A doorbell rings. I do not see the man's face because he turned his back on me -- so I cannot see him and recognize him. Over his head, he throws at me a bouquet wrapped in a clear light veil*. Roses, something white -- I do not notice, because my eyes get fixed on a tiny envelope pinned to the veil. I tear into it. It is a note with no signature and only one line: Check out your garden.

So I do. Good gracious! In the middle of the Summer there's a first snow falling, there's running waters of March that still smell of snow, but have the sun added to them, a mermaid is sitting near the pond and spraying something that smells like #5 newest EDT. I break away from the garden. The flowers are still wrapped in the veil, but I can see that they are covered with a light coat of baby powder, and the note is sealed again. My legs fail me and I sit down and fan myself with my sandalwood fan. I open the note. It says, "Everyone you loved but none of them."

What is your name, stranger? Are you Sent to me from Heaven? Is Divination or Sortilege required to know your name? I am afraid it is.

* the first bouquet covered in a veil I have ever experienced in my life was Arpege. It is my code term for a floral aldehyde with a strong floral heart. Other lyrical references may be familiar to you, maybe not, I heard them from some members here - ask me if you don't know.

Ah, first impressions! Loving them! DD, what do you think is making it green for you? W, I see you're guessing rose and sandalwood as possible notes. What other floral and other elements are you detecting in the top and heart notes?

From what country might this fragrance hail? And what is the target market? Is the fragrance cheap, medium-priced, or expensive? Do you like it?

So, another floral aldehyde? Does it dry down to baby powder on your skin, W.? (orris+musk+sandalwood in no particular order?)

What do you think the price for 50ml of C is?

And, my favorite one: sort of reminds W. of Heaven Scent, Sortilege, Arpege and Divine de Divine. Right?

Warum, a beautiful introduction, as usual.

Well...if I had to guess a country of origin, I would say the US.

It smells very interesting, if it were modern (although I am not saying it is), it could even be niche. Maybe midpriced?

In addition to that rose and sandalwood could there be galbanum in C?

Blog Entries

W, I see you're guessing rose and sandalwood as possible notes. What other floral and other elements are you detecting in the top and heart notes?
    From what country might this fragrance hail? And what is the target market? Is the fragrance cheap, medium-priced, or expensive? Do you like it?
    Hey, I'm also smelling aldehydes, white flowers (jasmine, I think), orange blossom (that's a less personal reference for veil, bridal veil).
    Shoot, country. I have a hard time with country. US, I guess, so I'll join DD.

So, another floral aldehyde? Does it dry down to baby powder on your skin, W.? (orris+musk+sandalwood in no particular order?)

What do you think the price for 50ml of C is?

And, my favorite one: sort of reminds W. of Heaven Scent, Sortilege, Arpege and Divine de Divine. Right?
    Definitely floral aldehyde on this skin and in this journal
    The drydown AGAIN reminds me of #5 drydown, and the most baby powder was at the time when the heart was fading into the drydown. That powder was a bit rough, which makes this fragrance not perfect for me.
    I would agree with your orris+musk+sandalwood combo, there's also some vanilla in there.
    Price point, whew, Wolfie, I am afraid you're on your own, I am clueless about the prices. I'd say mid-range.
    And right, except Divine de Divine which I did not smell -- Heaven Scent, Sortilege, Arpege, Caleche (the first snow I've heard from you), Chant d'Aromes only in the top/transition to heart (again, mermaid, I heard from some people, incl. you).

Warum, a beautiful introduction, as usual.

In addition to that rose and sandalwood could there be galbanum in C?
    Yes, I think so -- and many many thanks!

Yeap, Chant d'Aromes is dead mermaids washed ashore by the overnight tide.

Blog Entries

Mine aren't dead. But mine are new, so who knows what they were like before?.. mine a very gentle ones.

What are your impressions of C, other than it would be hard to guess it?

There is something about C that sort of rubs me the wrong way. I have no idea what it might be but the best i could describe it is a petroleum smell. How about vetiver? Although I agree with the orris+musk+sandalwood I can't say that the powdery quality of C could be described as baby powder.

A few confirmations of things that two of you mentioned, and then I must leave for a bit. Perhaps J will check in, though!

YES on rose, sandalwood, and orris
    NO on galbanum and musk
    NO on U.S. as country of origin

Question for all of you: How shall we define price ranges, for the sake of Blind Sniffs?

(Just edited, because I found agreements on a couple of other things.)

- - - Updated - - -

Laughing hard trying to imagine dead (or undead) mermaids washing ashore. And now I must try Chant d'Aromes!
    Last edited by Haunani; 18th July 2012 at 02:19 AM.

Blog Entries

France then?

How about the aldehydes? There or not?

Moss/oakmoss? Honey? Ambergris (sometimes listed as amber)?

Blog Entries

Yes to aldehydes, yes to moss, I think. Not sure about amber.
    I'd say no to honey -- do you smell honey?

queen of the universe

The most unusual description I've yet to read on BN, if morbid.

Hmm, not so sure anymore about the honey.
    How about vetiver?

queen of the universe

I just realized I had sampled C on a pass-around. My impressions were quite different then. One thing I clearly notice is that smelling on paper is very different than on skin, for this one more than the other two.
    I'll be up for about 2 more hours, should there be more guessing.

Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

Laughing hard trying to imagine dead (or undead) mermaids washing ashore. And now I must try Chant d'Aromes!
    I will gladly share! Mine aren't dead though mine are very languid, tender and seductive in a very non-seductive way.

J can you confirm aldehydes moss/oakmoss? We seem to agree on that.

Blog Entries

J can you confirm aldehydes moss/oakmoss? We seem to agree on that.
    Yes, please!

DD, and will you take another stab at the country since it's not US? My second choice was France, so I went with it.

Yes, the country...I thought it had a bit of the aggressive, in your face vibe of Estee Lauder perfumes.

I guess France could be true as well. Or, Germany!))

queen of the universe

No to aldehydes, yes to oakmoss. Are you agreeing on France?

Blog Entries

Older Lauder, perhaps, like White Linen? White Linen is a good one to think about, too, but I don't remember it having the powder... sigh, not US anyway.
    Definitely not a new Lauder base though, just for a reference.

Is it French?

Yes, not Estee Lauder...

Blog Entries

France was my second choice. DD, are you with me on it?

I want to ask about one more note before I fall asleep. How about castoreum?

- - - Updated - - -

Warum, I cannot say I get any particular national characteristics (other than American). Let's agree on France. It is as good a guess as any if not even more probable.

- - - Updated - - -

I am gonna go to sleep now. I slept less than 5 hours for the past 2 nights and I am exhausted.
    See you tomorrow.

Blog Entries

I am not sure about the animalics, but maybe!

I'll go get a bite to eat, too. Are you off to bed?

queen of the universe

France it is.

Without two sniffers I can't confirm any new guesses. Warum, for my own edification, how would you describe castoreum?

- - - Updated - - -

France it is.

Without two sniffers I can't confirm any new guesses. Warum, for my own edification, how would you describe castoreum?

- - - Updated - - -

———and good night!

It appears that our sniffers and co-host have made some good progress on Sample C tonight! Here's a recap (please let me know if I've missed anything!):

Country of Origin: France
    Pricing: Mid-Range (depending on how you define that – help, Twolf!)
    Notes Listed: Rose, Iris/Orris, Sandalwood, Oak Moss

Guessed Notes NOT on the List: Aldehydes, Galbanum, Honey, Musk

The following notes have been mentioned in discussion, but have not been confirmed one way or the other: Orange Blossom, Jasmine, Vanilla, Vetiver, Ambers, Castoreum

Questions: What else are you noticing in the top notes? What other florals might be lurking in the heart? When do you think this fragrance was created?
    Last edited by Haunani; 18th July 2012 at 06:28 AM.

Being over here means morning playtime whilst you are all asleep..... shhhhhh

I never get a stitch done when there is a blind sniff....

Morning ladies. I just woke up. I must have been too tired last night. I thought aldehydes were confirmed. Then I have another guess to submit before I leave to work.

Good morning, all!

Being over here means morning playtime whilst you are all asleep..... shhhhhh

I never get a stitch done when there is a blind sniff....
    We're glad you're playing along! Keep up the good work!

Morning ladies. I just woke up. I must have been too tired last night. I thought aldehydes were confirmed. Then I have another guess to submit before I leave to work.
    Well, as we've learned, aldehydes might be present but not included on notes lists. I don't see it on the lists from either of my sources!

We have had three good but incorrect guesses for C, one from a player and two from a spectator. Good progress!

queen of the universe

Good afternoon, mumsy!

dd guessed. A good guess, but not our sample C.

off to ceramics class back after 5:30 EDT.

Blog Entries

I would like to have the gender confirmed -- pretty sure C is a femme. I think DD mentioned it too

Not a sniffer here, but just a passer by. I have never agreed with you gals on aldehydes in C. This nostril tickling can be caused by:
    1) generic description "green notes",
    2) citrus tree parts and derivatives, or even specific herbs in the pyramid, think masculine colognes.

That rockrose=castoreum question is an excellent one, we need to elaborate more on that. If it is castoreum, we are looking at the classical chypre in C.

Any of you getting any animalic dirtiness?

Please specify the florals you are all smelling, besides "roses and something white". Daffodils? Jasmine? Gardenias? Tuberose? Hyacinth?

Price-wise, it smells like it used to be around $35-40 for 100ml bottle, but with the new(est) editions and reformulations it can cost whatever (look at Givenchy III, for example).

I agree about the French feminine fragrance done in either in the 70s or in the 70s style.

I would like to have the gender confirmed -- pretty sure C is a femme. I think DD mentioned it too
    It is a feminine!

Great questions from T, too! Among other things, we have four flowers that need identification/confirmation.

More discussion, please!
    Last edited by Haunani; 18th July 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Is it a powerful perfume or a gentle one?

Is it a powerful perfume or a gentle one?
    It will be interesting to hear what the sniffers say, but for me it's right in the middle. It has presence, but it isn't a heavy hitter.