Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 201
  1. #61

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    What a cute little story!

    I agree with Warum on the iris.
    OK then, ladies. You now have the following:

    Lemon
    Violet
    Iris

  2. #62

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    My first guess was wrong. Warum, let's see if we can agree on one more note. Sandalwood? Musk?

  3. #63
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    2,599

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Hi, TWolf, hope the move was uneventful and that you are settled in enough to have unpacked your fragrances yet. (;
    Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Hi ladies. Nice to be with you all, just got our Internet hooked up last night, some of you know that we have moved, same town, two streets down.

    B is very very nice, I want tons of it right now, no matter what the price is (I agree with DD about the higher end and will add that it might be over $65 for 50ml). Long lasting.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

  4. #64
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    My first guess was wrong. Warum, let's see if we can agree on one more note. Sandalwood? Musk?
    I have reapplied right before I wrote a review, so I have a hard time right now since I am smelling the heart notes from both paper and me. From the memory -- how about amber or opopnax?

    From your two I'd say sandalwood.

  5. #65

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I have reapplied right before I wrote a review, so I have a hard time right now since I am smelling the heart notes from both paper and me. From the memory -- how about amber or opopnax?

    From your two I'd say sandalwood.
    OK, at the risk of being too hasty, we will confirm sandalwood!

  6. #66

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    So we have four confirmed notes.
    Warum, I would need to respray because I cannot feel much anymore.
    I was wondering if maybe there is also violet leaf. It has a green feeling to it.

  7. #67
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    DD, OV and other sniffers (Wolfie, are you playing?) -- I search the notes and keep getting Insolence. I haven't smelled it, but from the descriptions I doubt very seriously that this is it. Can any of you who knows Insolence confirm that B is not it?

    B reminds me of Bas de Soie with no hyacinth

  8. #68
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    2,599

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Hello, again, I'm off to
    "where one relaxes on the axis of the wheel of life, and gets the feel of life, from jazz and cocktails"—Billy Strayhorn, Lush Life
    Will check in later.

    Now I'm wondering, has a perfume ever been named Lush Life?
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

  9. #69
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I was wondering if maybe there is also violet leaf. It has a green feeling to it.
    It does. When I search and see "floral green", I perk up. I wouldn't be too surprised if it is classified as a floral green or floral. Although sometimes F. puts a floral oriental on some fragrances I'd never thought of as orientals.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Now I'm wondering, has a perfume ever been named Lush Life?
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/261887743/Lush_Life_Creme_Parfum_1_0z_.html

    Now, that makes me want to go and turn on some John Coltrane

    - - - Updated - - -

    And let me know about Insolence, y'all.

  10. #70

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Warum, I am sure I smelled Insolence at some point. I don't think B is it, although I am known to be mistaken. In the previous sniff I did not recognize Youth Dew although I used to own it.
    I think Insolence is less elegant and not as subtle. Although I think I liked it.

  11. #71

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    More interesting observations! I am jealous of the jazz and cocktails, though I'm leaving for a nice dinner with friends in an hour or so. I'll check back later, and also post the reveal for Sample A!

    Edit: This has nothing to do with the Sniff, but I just applied some Atelier Vanille Insensée after my shower. Have any of you tried it? I find it swoon-worthy, and it has one of the best drydowns I've ever experienced! So glad to have a fairly generous decant.

  12. #72

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Warum, I looked up Insolence. It has red berries and raspberries listed. I don;t think I smell anything like this in B.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Have a lovely dinner, Haunani!

  13. #73

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Have a lovely dinner, Haunani!
    Thanks, DD!

  14. #74
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Warum, I am sure I smelled Insolence at some point. I don't think B is it.
    I think Insolence is less elegant and not as subtle. Although I think I liked it.
    That's what I think too, but I just did not smell it before, wanted to be sure. I don't smell any serious red berries either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    More interesting observations! I am jealous of the jazz and cocktails, though I'm leaving for a nice dinner with friends in an hour or so. I'll check back later, and also post the reveal for Sample A!

    Edit: This has nothing to do with the Sniff, but I just applied some Atelier Vanille Insensée after my shower. Have any of you tried it? I find it swoon-worthy, and it has one of the best drydowns I've ever experienced! So glad to have a fairly generous decant.
    Have a great dinner, Heidi!
    I haven't tried Vanille Insensee yet, but your rec means that I will!

  15. #75
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    2,599

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Of all things, todays NYT has this column, Our Newly Lush Life, by Frank Bruni.


    Must be in the air!


    Heard Brasilian jazz and despite going out solo, ended up sitting with some pleasant people. Good scented night, all!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

  16. #76
    Basenotes Institution

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Stylistically, B is not a Guerlain, it is more of Chanel type. I also thought of Calandre and Rive Gauche. Anyone getting any aldehydes at all? (green--> grey eyes in W's interpretation).

    H., you will laugh all you want -- type in the revealed notes for B in the BN Directory with Advanced Search option. Getting Mariella Burani again? I am! In case you wanted to know -- B is not Mariella Burani, not the one with the four plastic orange roses as a cap.
    Last edited by Twolf; 15th July 2012 at 04:41 AM.

  17. #77

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    ...I haven't tried Vanille Insensee yet, but your rec means that I will!
    I'm glad you feel that way. It's pretty special! Now, can I interest you in a bottle of Carlos Santana? ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    ...Heard Brasilian jazz and despite going out solo, ended up sitting with some pleasant people. Good scented night, all!
    I'm glad you had a good time. I would love that! We enjoyed our dinner. Beautiful wild salmon from the Northwest, good wine, and Swedish Princess Cake for dessert. The stuff is covered in marzipan. Not low-cal at all, but worth the indulgence. :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Stylistically, B is not a Guerlain, it is more of Chanel type. I also thought of Calandre and Rive Gauche. Anyone getting any aldehydes at all? (green--> grey eyes in W's interpretation).

    H., you will laugh all you want -- type in the revealed notes for B in the BN Directory with Advanced Search option. Getting Mariella Burani again? I am! In case you wanted to know -- B is not Mariella Burani, not the one with the four plastic orange roses as a cap.
    Interesting observations, T! I have never tried Mariella Burani, but I also saw that search result and had a good laugh! Is that a good fragrance? I've never tried it!

    See you all tomorrow. I will be gone in the morning, but should be home early to mid-afternoon.

  18. #78

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Hello, ladies. Are you awake?

  19. #79
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Stylistically, B is not a Guerlain, it is more of Chanel type. I also thought of Calandre and Rive Gauche. Anyone getting any aldehydes at all? (green--> grey eyes in W's interpretation).

    H., you will laugh all you want -- type in the revealed notes for B in the BN Directory with Advanced Search option. Getting Mariella Burani again? I am! In case you wanted to know -- B is not Mariella Burani, not the one with the four plastic orange roses as a cap.
    LOL, yes, I am getting Mariella Burani as well. And Insolence, which I think cannot be it. People talk about Insolence as quite a scream, and a loud scream this one is not. Plus, as DD mentioned, red berries are a large part of Insolence profile, and I don't smell it.

    I won't say aldehydes for two reasons that may count and one that may not. The one that may not -- I don't smell them. But that doesn't mean anything since I do not smell them, for instance, in Eau Premierre either. But I know they're there. The other two that count -- 1) I don't connect B with any known aldehydic floral, including Rive Gauche (haven't smelled Calandre), and 2) because this sniff is 3*3*3 (I don't want to say more right now, but you will know what I mean when you reread the call).

    The grey eyes were meant to describe the coldness of the heart after the herbal/citrusy top. I am one of those people who registers cold from iris and violet florals, with only a couple of notable exceptions. So I'd say I felt a similar cold from Iris Poudre, I smelled a similar live Iris from Bas de Soie (I think I mentioned that one) and had a similar cold/poison feel from Naiviris. We're not scent twins, Wolfie but that helps a lot in a Blind Sniff!

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm glad you feel that way. It's pretty special! Now, can I interest you in a bottle of Carlos Santana? ;-)
    LOL, LOL, LOL -- nope, so far I can weed by hand, thanks though!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm glad you had a good time. I would love that! We enjoyed our dinner. Beautiful wild salmon from the Northwest, good wine, and Swedish Princess Cake for dessert. The stuff is covered in marzipan. Not low-cal at all, but worth the indulgence. :-)
    Sounds delish! I would've had another piece of the Spring Chinook instead of a desert given a 1/2 a chance!


    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Hello, ladies. Are you awake?
    I am now, despite the fact that it seems like we don't have a Newport Bay on which we stand any more if one looks out of the window (fog). I will finish my coffee and spray B again. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I need to ID a couple more top notes. Will try that in a min.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Wow, I just smelled the drydown of B again.
    Am I the only one who describes is as ambery and powdery (and pretty quiet, but definitive)?
    I better go and respray it.

  20. #80

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Hello, ladies. Are you awake?
    Good morning! I'm going to be home all day. My shoulder hurts (old injury), so I'm skipping Sunday hula practice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I won't say aldehydes for two reasons that may count and one that may not. The one that may not -- I don't smell them. But that doesn't mean anything since I do not smell them, for instance, in Eau Premierre either. But I know they're there. The other two that count -- 1) I don't connect B with any known aldehydic floral, including Rive Gauche (haven't smelled Calandre), and 2) because this sniff is 3*3*3 (I don't want to say more right now, but you will know what I mean when you reread the call).
    But do remember that labels can deceive, and overlap happens. You haven't smelled Calandre? I must send you a sample! It's a favorite of mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    The grey eyes were meant to describe the coldness of the heart after the herbal/citrusy top. I am one of those people who registers cold from iris and violet florals, with only a couple of notable exceptions. So I'd say I felt a similar cold from Iris Poudre, I smelled a similar live Iris from Bas de Soie (I think I mentioned that one) and had a similar cold/poison feel from Naiviris. We're not scent twins, Wolfie but that helps a lot in a Blind Sniff!
    This is an interesting observation, and one to which I can relate! I have trouble with many iris-featuring fragrances because of that cold quality. Violets not as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    LOL, LOL, LOL -- nope, so far I can weed by hand, thanks though!!
    Sigh, maybe I'll just go pour the rest of that bottle on the berry vines that keep popping up in our garden.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I am now, despite the fact that it seems like we don't have a Newport Bay on which we stand any more if one looks out of the window (fog). I will finish my coffee and spray B again. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I need to ID a couple more top notes. Will try that in a min.
    Yes, let's look at top notes!

  21. #81

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Good morning, Warum.
    I am starting to suspect that B is not on Basenotes or F-site, with notes that is.
    There is L'Instant Magique, but I don't think it can be that either. And there is Escada Loving Bouquet. Based on the notes and description, I cannot exclude this one. But the perfume looks pink, and B is clear.

  22. #82
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I am starting to suspect that B is not on Basenotes or F-site, with notes that is.
    There is L'Instant Magique, but I don't think it can be that either. And there is Escada Loving Bouquet. Based on the notes and description, I cannot exclude this one. But the perfume looks pink, and B is clear.
    Yep, makes sense. Didn't H say that they are all on F and BN though? It is completely possible that B is listed on BN without notes. And it is completely possible that the notes H uses are not the same ones that are listed on the F. Makes it harder for us, I should say.

    Same here re L'Instant Magique -- hard to believe that B can have honey listed. And same re Escada -- I am not familiar with the earlier fragrances of the brand, they may have been much more refined then they are these days, but still, it would be hard to believe Escada and yet I cannot exclude that one either.

  23. #83

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Let's go ahead and do the reveal for Sample A, since we're now focusing on B...

    MYSTERY FRAGRANCE A

    Naj-Oleari EdT by Naj-Oleari (1999)

    Fragrantica classifies it as an Aldehydic Floral; listed notes include muguet, coriander, rose, white freesia, clear jasmine, white musk, sandalwood, cedarwood, and vanilla.

    Naj-Oleari is an Italian fashion house that became famous in the 70's and 80's. It is well known for its cheerful colors, fabrics and patterns, fashion accessories like hair ribbons, handbags and wallets. It was founded in 1916 by Riccardo Naj-Oleari.

    This bottle was given to me as a gift. My take on it is that its target market was younger women on a budget. The bottle is rather pretty, isn't it?
    Last edited by Haunani; 15th July 2012 at 06:36 PM.

  24. #84
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    I resprayed. Still stand by lemon verbena/lemon balm, but since we've IDed lemon it can be lemon + green notes, for instance

    - - - Updated - - -

    Yes, and now since H. revealed A, I can say outloud that two things this means are that B is NOT a floral aldehyde and that B is NOT Italian, there goes my Prada reference. H., please have mercy to correct me if I did not understand the 3*3*3 conditions correctly.

  25. #85

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I resprayed. Still stand by lemon verbena/lemon balm, but since we've IDed lemon it can be lemon + green notes, for instance
    Don't be sad! Your reasoning is impeccable, W!

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Yes, and now since H. revealed A, I can say outloud that two things this means are that B is NOT a floral aldehyde and that B is NOT Italian, there goes my Prada reference. H., please have mercy to correct me if I did not understand the 3*3*3 conditions correctly.
    True on both counts! However, I think aldhehydes are probably found in a lot of floral fragrances that aren't technically classified as "Floral Aldehydic."

    Questions: What country do you think B is from? To whom do you think it's marketed?

  26. #86
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Argh what if I'm wrong?
    I'll guess France or the US for the country.

    As to who that's marketed for... if it was a niche, I'd say unisex, easy. Like Odin Petrana (a violet in the desert), for instance. But designers are marking fragrances unisex less often than the niche lines. However, it is still pretty femme to me. A niche line would have guts to market this one for men, a designer -- don't think so (although I have just found out that Dior Homme is supposed to be a lovely fragrance suited for women and men alike). But I keep getting men's fragrances from the list of notes. I refuse to answer this question! I am stumped! My senses tell me femme. When I start thinking, I think myself into a hole. I am going to stay neither here nor there and say unisex.

  27. #87

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Good discussion, W! And when do you think the fragrance might have been created? Another thing to focus on is those opening notes. We have confirmed lemon, but what else might be in there?

  28. #88
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    H., I think contemporary, after 1989.
    Definitely some green notes in the top -- I was thinking about mint, "green notes", grass.

  29. #89

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Warum, you are doing all the great work by yourself. Well, Haunani is there, of course.
    I agree that there is some green in this one. What was the answer to violet leaves?
    How about the aldehydes? Musk?

    I agree that this one smells very contemporary. Maybe even post 2000. I may over simplify things, but I would say it is for women.

  30. #90
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Alrighty, y'all. Our lovely wonderful brilliant evil host Haunani squeezed me dry. I said everything that I had to say about the fragrance, and now I am off for a hike with my husband. He will not forgive me if I skip it. So I am taking B for a hike and my experience tells me that wearing a perfume for a hike exacerbates the notes in it. So... as I am climbing up toward Alsea falls, I will be thinking of y'all, Sniff, and B. Will check in toward the evening. I hope there will be some action here by the time I get back online!

Similar Threads

  1. All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 7, 2012 *** GREEN
    By Quarry in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 8th July 2012, 07:42 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27th June 2012, 11:53 PM
  3. San Francisco Artisan Fragrance Salon and SF Sniff, July 7 and 8, 2012
    By Tama in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st May 2012, 07:22 PM
  4. All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 2, 2011 *** GREEN
    By Quarry in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 8th July 2011, 07:15 PM
  5. A Few Mysteries
    By SiameseCat in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th July 2008, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000