Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Blog Entries

Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Among other things, we have four flowers that need identification/confirmation.
    Thank you, H.! I thought no one cared about my poor little flowers, sniff sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Is it a powerful perfume or a gentle one?
    Do you mean projection? It definitely has presence. It is not a skin scent. Yesterday I gave it a full wearing and my husband said, "Whoa, what are you wearing?" right from the door. But it ain't Poison either. I'd say it is pretty powerful, 8.5 out of 10 powerful. You can overdo it. In fact, I ODed on it yesterday and had a little bit of a headache.

But if you mean the scent itself, I'd say it is elegant and gentle. A drop in my journal lingers and makes me think about the nice dresses, piano playing, pearls... but it is not cold, like B.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    ....but it is not cold, like B.
    Speaking of B, it's time to reveal its identity to all, now that the available sniffers have guessed it correctly. I am loving B, by the way. I found it and bought it blind (!!!) for the Sniff, because I wanted a masculine floral in the lineup, and because it sounded so lovely. It IS lovely, in my opinion, a keeper for my collection.

MYSTERY FRAGRANCE B

Knize Two EdT (“Toilet Water”) by Knize (1978) Country of Origin: Austria
    Fragrantica Classification: Chypre Floral (I would call it a green floral, if I were labeling it)
    Listed Notes: Galbanum, green notes, bergamot, lemon, petitgrain, violet, jasmin, carnation, orris, rose, aldehyde, sandalwood, cedarwood, musk, tonka, moss, amber

Knize is a Viennese tailor/menswear company established in 1858. Their first and best-known fragrance is Knize Ten which launched in 1924.

I found an excellent review of this fragrance here: http://ismellthereforeiam.blogspot.c...and-dandy.html

As I read through this review again, I marveled at how on target our sniffers' impressions were. Outstanding job, ladies!

Blog Entries

I practiced what I did not preach and reread the thread. Yes, I did say jasmine and orange blossom (but I'll add neroli, too, now). What other florals are lurking at heart? LOTV maybe. Top notes have something slightly sweet, too -- but if it is some kind of fruit, it is not a frooty(=in your face, like in mass market shampoo) fruit.

I'll say yes to vetiver and amber. The base is not simple nor it is light. I really don't know enough about castoreum -- fellow sniffers will have to forgive my lack of experience here.

I practiced what I did not preach and reread the thread. Yes, I did say jasmine and orange blossom (but I'll add neroli, too, now). What other florals are lurking at heart? LOTV maybe. Top notes have something slightly sweet, too -- but if it is some kind of fruit, it is not a frooty(=in your face, like in mass market shampoo) fruit.

I'll say yes to vetiver and amber. The base is not simple nor it is light. I really don't know enough about castoreum -- fellow sniffers will have to forgive my lack of experience here.
    You and DD have both guessed vetiver and amber, so I will confirm those. We need to remember that amber-like notes go by many names. You are also correct that the base is complex. There's one more significant base note, and it is not castoreum. I'll get an updated summary together in a moment... here you go...

Country of Origin: France
    Target Market: Feminine
    Notes Listed: Rose, Iris/Orris, Sandalwood, Oak Moss, Vetiver, Labdanum

Guessed Notes NOT on the List: Aldehydes, Galbanum, Honey, Musk, Castoreum

The following notes have been mentioned in discussion, but have not been confirmed one way or the other: Orange Blossom, Jasmine, Vanilla, Neroli, LOTV/Muguet

I hesitate to label the price range until we've defined it, but it is not cheap nor is it extravagantly expensive.
    Last edited by Haunani; 18th July 2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Trying to "unbold" the last part!

Blog Entries

Yep. Isn't it listed as labdanum by any chance?

Yep. Isn't it listed as labdanum by any chance?
    Labdanum IS on the list (I will update). Good thinking! And – this just in – Warum has guessed the identity of Sample C! Congratulations!!!

Hello ladies. I JUST got back. I had to drive in the rain!
    I will make some dinner quickly and get back to guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Hello ladies. I JUST got back. I had to drive in the rain!
    I will make some dinner quickly and get back to guessing.
    I'm glad to hear you got home safely. Driving in the rain is no fun! It looks like you don't need to do any guessing after dinner, though, because the guess you just sent is correct! Congratulations, Darkdreams!!!

Let's wait a little more before we reveal this one. Twolf? Mumsy? Do you want a shot at it? (Mumsy has sent in some excellent guesses for this one, by the way!)

Blog Entries

Thank you very much for a perfect Blind Sniff, Haunani, this sniff was so thoughtful and wonderful.
    Darkdreams, you are always so much fun to play with! Glad your commute was OK. Driving in the rain gets to the nerves.

TWolf and Mumsy, thanks for the questions!
    I hope you're OK, OVincze!

Yay, I am very happy I finally got it.
    I need to sniff it some more and look carefully at the notes.
    I will come back to this thread but a very quick "thank you" to the hosts! These last two perfumes were very good and the sniff was wonderful as expected. Warum's stories were one of the best parts!
    I hope OV is well and will get to do the sniff eventually. It is not as much fun by yourself...I am worried about her, because we usually communicate often and I haven't heard from her in days.

OK, I'll reveal C later this evening, and then we can do any wrap-up conversation and let Shades "un-sticky" the thread!

This has been a lot of fun! I do share your concern about OVincze, and wish that she'd been able to participate, as I know she was looking forward to it!

queen of the universe

Congratulations, sniffers! I missed out on the fun, but with good reason; my daughter came over for dinner, and we don't often get "just the two of us time". Homemade corn chowder made with local produce and a ballgame on the radio.

I hope OV is OK, too.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Congratulations, sniffers! I missed out on the fun, but with good reason; my daughter came over for dinner, and we don't often get "just the two of us time". Homemade corn chowder made with local produce and a ballgame on the radio.

I hope OV is OK, too.
    Hi J! Homemade corn chowder sounds delicious!

By the way, our Twolf just PMed me with the correct answer! Congrats to you, T, I'm glad you were here to play along with us!

I guess we'll go ahead and wrap up...

Basenotes Institution

With your help, H. Like in W's case the name for C kept popping up in my searches, but I kept dismissing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    With your help, H. Like in W's case the name for C kept popping up in my searches, but I kept dismissing it.
    I'm glad to have fooled you for a while!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm glad to have fooled you for a while!
    And that's not an easy task, so you should be proud, H!

Well, our sniff is over and I'm going to miss it! Though we had some very real scheduling challenges, we got the job done and had fun along the way. Thank you to our truly amazing sniffers, Darkdreams and Warum; our supporting cast and creator of this game, Twolf; our helpful and friendly co-host, Jujy54; and spectators RainDropSparkle and Mumsy, who each made a correct guess without benefit of the samples! OVincze, we've missed you and really hope that all is well with you. Keep on sniffing, everyone!

Here is the information on our final sample:

MYSTERY FRAGRANCE C

Name: Lubin Nuit de Longchamp EdP
    Origin: France, 2008 (re-release; originally produced in 1934)
    Fragrantica Classification: Oriental Floral
    Listed Notes: Bergamot, orange blossom, nutmeg, cardamom, ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, iris, sandalwood, broom, patchouli, vetiver, Tolu and Peru balsams, labdanum, oak moss

The House of Lubin was established in 1798 by Pierre François Lubin. The House grew out of a small Parisian venue that sold perfumed ribbons, ball masks and rice powders to the renowned establishment that perfumed the Imperial Court.

Good grief. I kept seeing that but wouldn't have got there. It wasn't being thrown up by the BN directory just now.

I was at Parfum Rare by Jacomo and I now see there was no rose just rosewood.

Thanks peeps. That was a good one. I can now get all the things done that I should have been doing.....lol

- - - Updated - - -

PS I have been dying to smell C. Would anyone like to do a swap for a sniff?

Peaking at this from work. For just one sec!
    Mumsy I will send you the rest of the very generous sample I received. Just PM me your address when you have a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    ...PS I have been dying to smell C. Would anyone like to do a swap for a sniff?
    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    ...Mumsy I will send you the rest of the very generous sample I received. Just PM me your address when you have a moment.
    Oh good! Thanks, DD!

Thank you DD.