Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 201
  1. #91

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Do you think there is some fruit in this one?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Warum, enjoy the hike.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I will ask about another note. Pepper? Not because I smell it necessarily, but because it would help narrow down the search.

  2. #92

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    H., I think contemporary, after 1989.
    Definitely some green notes in the top -- I was thinking about mint, "green notes", grass.
    Do any of our other sniffers want to comment on these suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Warum, you are doing all the great work by yourself. Well, Haunani is there, of course.
    I agree that there is some green in this one. What was the answer to violet leaves?
    How about the aldehydes? Musk?

    I agree that this one smells very contemporary. Maybe even post 2000. I may over simplify things, but I would say it is for women.
    I haven't had two or more people agreeing on aldehydes, musk, or violet leaves (or several others that have been mentioned) so no comment yet. Any second votes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Alrighty, y'all. Our lovely wonderful brilliant evil host Haunani squeezed me dry. I said everything that I had to say about the fragrance, and now I am off for a hike with my husband. He will not forgive me if I skip it. So I am taking B for a hike and my experience tells me that wearing a perfume for a hike exacerbates the notes in it. So... as I am climbing up toward Alsea falls, I will be thinking of y'all, Sniff, and B. Will check in toward the evening. I hope there will be some action here by the time I get back online!
    Have a good hike, Warum! Sounds like fun. One thing that I will comment on, since two of you have chimed in, is that this fragrance was not created after 1989. Surprised? Also, two of you do not smell red berries, and you are correct in that.

  3. #93

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    I am truly surprised that this perfume is older than 1989!

  4. #94

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    ...I will ask about another note. Pepper? Not because I smell it necessarily, but because it would help narrow down the search.
    Let's see what others say about the presence or absence of pepper and also other fruit!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I am truly surprised that this perfume is older than 1989!
    So was I!

  5. #95
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    2,595

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Hi, I'm back. Haunani, I have Carlos Santana for Women, find it to be a summery oriental with a unisex feel, possibly influenced by the 2-and-a-half bucks "Florida water" colognes in the Latin grocery aisle.

    Warum, good observations so far.

    Re: the age of frag B, I, too am surprised.

    Not sure of my evening plans yet, but I'm around for the next 2 hours at least.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

  6. #96

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Hi, I'm back. Haunani, I have Carlos Santana for Women, find it to be a summery oriental with a unisex feel, possibly influenced by the 2-and-a-half bucks "Florida water" colognes in the Latin grocery aisle.

    Warum, good observations so far.

    Re: the age of frag B, I, too am surprised.

    Not sure of my evening plans yet, but I'm around for the next 2 hours at least.
    Hi J! W and I were actually talking about Carlos Santana for Men. It was one of the fragrances in our "Paint the Town Red" sniff (found here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/269...t-the-Town-Red!), and she hated it with a passion!

    Our sniffers are doing a great job, aren't they? There have been some incorrect guesses for B, too. I'll post them here for benefit of all:

    Flirt by Prescriptives
    Guy Laroche Fidji
    Creed Green Irish Tweed

  7. #97
    Basenotes Institution

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    First launched -- 1969/ 1970 (same as Rive Gauche/Calandre) -- it was the style that year. Or around it.

    Aldehydes and some people do not smell them -- check Calandre on the F-site, not a sight of aldehydes in their pyramid. In fact, they are there.

    Dwell on more florals, please?
    Dwell on the drydown, long-lasting and with pedigree, if you wish.

  8. #98

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Hi Twolf! Now that two of you have mentioned aldehydes, I will confirm their presence in this fragrance. Here's a summary of what we've confirmed, so far:

    • Quality/higher-end designer fragrance
    • Created before 1989, but has a modern vibe
    • Not from Italy, because A was from Italy
    • Has no red berries
    • Has aldehydes
    • Has lemon, violet, iris, sandalwood

    Individuals have suspected the following possible notes, but they haven't been corroborated by any other sniffers: grass, green notes?, bergamot, jasmine, rose, musk, amber, violet leaf, opoponax, lily, verbena, other fruit? There are four or five additional listed notes that haven't been mentioned at all yet.

    And, by the way, I think we've talked a little about EdT vs. EdP. What do you think now?

    A couple of things to remember:

    • Some designer fragrances may be more "niche-like" (harder to find in a department store).
    • Some notes may be listed in different ways in online directories.

    I wonder if it's morning yet for OVincze? How do you like your new quarters, Twolf? Warum, how was the hike? Jujy54, are you enjoying this fragrance? And Darkdreams, are you excited about starting your new job?

  9. #99
    Basenotes Institution

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Not morning yet, will be 6 am around my 10-11 pm -- I do not know if they have summer savings.

    Excellent moderation of the thread.

    From Warum: I won't say aldehydes for two reasons that may count and one that may not. The one that may not -- I don't smell them. Aldehydes were in B from second one, therefore Calandre/Rive Gauche references, on this skin/in this purse/on this piece of napkin. And personally, I DO connect B with several aldehydic-florals, like Madame Rochas for example, in addition to the ones I have already brought to your kind attention. Please explain Reason 2 to me in a PM (3*3*3whachemacallit).

    To answer your question, H: it is a lot of work, I am still trying to locate everything, it is here but in which box? and besides, it was very hot last week.
    Last edited by Twolf; 15th July 2012 at 11:02 PM.

  10. #100

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Our Twolf is the first to identify Mystery Sample B! Congratulations, T! I hope you'll continue to take part in the discussion of this one.

  11. #101

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Haunani, I did not give up searching for B. But I am a little nervous about tomorrow. I am trying to prepare. Not sure how.For now, I was out to drive a little. Yeah, I am a terrible driver, with little experience. And I will have to commute to work about 1hour each way now. That scares me sooo much!

  12. #102
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    2,595

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Hi, fragrance A barely registered on me. I get the citrus/green of B, much like the huge sampler from Hillaire, very pleasant and refreshing, but, truth be told, refreshing is not my cup of tea. I like my animalics, especially as a counter to citrus—without some leather or civet the citrus is just too weightless for me. (Note: I don't experience modern musks as animalic so much as powdery)
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

  13. #103

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    I actually thought TWolf guessed it a long time ago!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Was it ever confirmed that B is marketed towards women?

  14. #104
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    2,595

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    DD, good luck at your new job and with the commute. Just relax and have music, recorded book, or NPR on the stereo and you'll be fine.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

  15. #105

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I actually thought TWolf guessed it a long time ago!
    Oh! Perhaps she did, but she just told me. :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Was it ever confirmed that B is marketed towards women?
    No, that wasn't confirmed.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Haunani, I did not give up searching for B. But I am a little nervous about tomorrow. I am trying to prepare. Not sure how.For now, I was out to drive a little. Yeah, I am a terrible driver, with little experience. And I will have to commute to work about 1hour each way now. That scares me sooo much!
    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    DD, good luck at your new job and with the commute. Just relax and have music, recorded book, or NPR on the stereo and you'll be fine.
    I agree with J! I don't like to drive, either, but I had to drive a lot on my last job. You'll get more comfortable it. I found that alone time in my car could be useful for thinking, doing the things J recommends, or even practicing a new language! Wishing you a safe commute and a successful first day!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Hi, fragrance A barely registered on me. I get the citrus/green of B, much like the huge sampler from Hillaire, very pleasant and refreshing, but, truth be told, refreshing is not my cup of tea. I like my animalics, especially as a counter to citrus—without some leather or civet the citrus is just too weightless for me. (Note: I don't experience modern musks as animalic so much as powdery)
    Ah, an animalic fan! I'm learning to appreciate certain animalics, but refreshing IS more my cup of tea. :-)

  16. #106

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Thank you for the wishes ladies. At this point I would not be able to listen to a book or learn a new language. I really hope I will in time, because 3 hours a day is a huge amount of time. Maybe I will finally learn Spanish. As it is, I hold on to the steering wheel and say prayers every time I need to change the lane or merge.

    Maybe I have another guess for B then....

  17. #107

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    ...Maybe I have another guess for B then....
    And Darkdreams has guessed the identity of Mystery Sample B! Congratulations!!!

    We'll give Warum and OVincze some time to return, continue sniffing, and review the latest conversations...

  18. #108
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    2,595

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    darkdreams has identified B! Good work! Care to tell us how you figured it out? Without giving away too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Thank you for the wishes ladies. At this point I would not be able to listen to a book or learn a new language. I really hope I will in time, because 3 hours a day is a huge amount of time. Maybe I will finally learn Spanish. As it is, I hold on to the steering wheel and say prayers every time I need to change the lane or merge.

    Maybe I have another guess for B then....
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

  19. #109

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    jujy, it was easy, once I ignored my own ideas.

  20. #110

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    darkdreams has identified B! Good work! Care to tell us how you figured it out? Without giving away too much?
    Aren't they good?! Yes, I hope both DD and T will help us guide the others to the light. :-)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    jujy, it was easy, once I ignored my own ideas.
    Interesting! :-)

  21. #111

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    It will be easy, if they remember one thing: this is one surprising perfume!

  22. #112
    Basenotes Institution

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    DD, bon chance! I will be thinking of you all morning long. Spanish is easy as compared to some other languages.

    Tips on how to guess it:
    1) no matter what we say (and, especially, me, blabber) read what H. has to say;
    2) sniff more for notes, prim and detached floral heart, nice and long-lasting dryout;
    3) trust me on Rive Gauche, Calandre and Madame Rochas -- although some/all of them can't be figured out by notes in the BN Directory (non-existing pyramids, right?) -- write down the notes for all three from elsewhere and sort them out one by one in terms of their occurrence in Sample B. You should get a fairly decent pyramid of your own. That's actually my most favoritest part of the guessing process: comparing and eliminating, I always ask you all: give me 2-3 fragrances you compare Fragrance Y with?

  23. #113

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    DD, bon chance! I will be thinking of you all morning long. Spanish is easy as compared to some other languages.

    Tips on how to guess it:
    1) no matter what we say (and, especially, me, blabber) read what H. has to say;
    2) sniff more for notes, prim and detached floral heart, nice and long-lasting dryout;
    3) trust me on Rive Gauche, Calandre and Madame Rochas -- although some/all of them can't be figured out by notes in the BN Directory (non-existing pyramids, right?) -- write down the notes for all three from elsewhere and sort them out one by one in terms of their occurrence in Sample B. You should get a fairly decent pyramid of your own. That's actually my most favoritest part of the guessing process: comparing and eliminating, I always ask you all: give me 2-3 fragrances you compare Fragrance Y with?
    Good advice! Later, I will tell you another that B reminds me of....

  24. #114
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Back from a hike, it took longer -- quite an adventure, I enjoyed that!
    I searched with and without aldehydes before I went, so it was nice to have that confirmed, but I have already covered that trail the best I could.
    Surprise about the date! Is TWolf's assessment of 1969-70 confirmed, H.?
    I will eat.
    I might have to sleep on this one, either. In case this is so -- good night! If I make it back here today -- then see y'all later!

  25. #115

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Back from a hike, it took longer -- quite an adventure, I enjoyed that!
    I searched with and without aldehydes before I went, so it was nice to have that confirmed, but I have already covered that trail the best I could.
    Surprise about the date! Is TWolf's assessment of 1969-70 confirmed, H.?
    I will eat.
    I might have to sleep on this one, either. In case this is so -- good night! If I make it back here today -- then see y'all later!
    Glad your hike was fun, W! Actually, T's time frame was just a little early. That narrows things down, doesn't it? :-)

  26. #116
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    2,595

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Just checking in to say, goodnight, all. I'll be around tomorrow morning and evening (EDT) just not afternoon.
    Scented dreams!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

  27. #117

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Just checking in to say, goodnight, all. I'll be around tomorrow morning and evening (EDT) just not afternoon.
    Scented dreams!
    Good night, J! I will be gone from about 9:30-12:30, California time. Will be here the rest of the day and evening!

  28. #118
    Basenotes Institution

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    DD, remember my guess of $12.99 for a 50ml bottle of Heaven Scent? In the case with B, the price estimate of about $65 for 50ml is very close to the price listed in the source where it is available from.

    I will be here in and out -- still have to go to the hardware store to buy some paint, paint the clothing line poles, tie the ropes up, and do 4 loads of laundry. All that after work in the AM. Beauties of moving! I am also doing a mini-micro Blind Sniff for another BNer and it is fascinating.

    BTW, I love B. It is a serious discovery of 2012 for me and the best fragrance I have smelled this year, bar none, this far. I sort of liked another fragrance (the newest Omnia Coral) but it is an entirely different story.

  29. #119

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    Good morning, all! We have a spectator who just made a very good guess for B!

    Twolf
    , would love to hear more about the mini-sniff sometime.

    OVincze, have you had a chance to catch up on B?

  30. #120
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: May Sniff in July: A Bouquet of Mysteries

    OV, I hope you will have a chance to come over and play with B. There's two of us working on it. I do not know what B is, but during a hike I smelled a couple of other notes, and I hope to hear your impressions -- two of us we can get these confirmed.

Similar Threads

  1. All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 7, 2012 *** GREEN
    By Quarry in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 8th July 2012, 07:42 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27th June 2012, 11:53 PM
  3. San Francisco Artisan Fragrance Salon and SF Sniff, July 7 and 8, 2012
    By Tama in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st May 2012, 07:22 PM
  4. All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 2, 2011 *** GREEN
    By Quarry in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 8th July 2011, 07:15 PM
  5. A Few Mysteries
    By SiameseCat in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th July 2008, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000