Code of Conduct

Default New Montale: Santal Wood - anyone try yet?

Happened to see a mention of a Montale scent created this year called Santal Wood. Supposedly a combo saltwater/woods fragrance. Curious about this, although sometimes Montale goes through these manias for introducing numerous new scents all at the same time, most of which I have less than zero interest in. Has anyone run into Santal Wood in the flesh?

Default Re: New Montale: Santal Wood - anyone try yet?

I think this was shown at the Expo in Milano earlier this year. Haven't seen it available anywhere yet.

Never seen it either...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

They have it at MiN NY and it's pretty fantastic. It quite unusual though. It's got a slight marine vibe over a sandalwood/ burnt sugar accord. I came very close to buying it, but I'd like to spend some more time with it. It also had an element which reminded me of Kerosene's Santalum Sliver, beyond the obvious sandalwood comparison. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.

If you like Kenzo Homme, you will like this. I do not like Kenzo Homme nor do I like Santal Wood. Santal Wood has a minimum amount of sandalwood and a lot more of that Oceanic/Sea Breeze note. It is incredibly synthetic, much more than your typical Montale and tbh there is nothing Sandalwood in quality about this fragrance. Dark Aoud is a waay better option, it has loads of Mysore Sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    They have it at MiN NY and it's pretty fantastic. It quite unusual though. It's got a slight marine vibe over a sandalwood/ burnt sugar accord. I came very close to buying it, but I'd like to spend some more time with it. It also had an element which reminded me of Kerosene's Santalum Sliver, beyond the obvious sandalwood comparison. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.
    Now a source to get it from. Thanks for the info.

Tried it on skin today. A major let down. Smells like a generic sport fragrance mixed with some Gucci Envy For Men...Just awful.

Edit:-----------------------

Montale does a sport fragrance. They have to be kidding us. A generic opening of fresh woods enriched by the typical sporty-aquatic vibe that we're experiencing in most of the current designer's masculines of the last ten years. Pepper and juniper included...Take the worst part of Gucci Envy for Men and mix it with any sport fragrance available on the market.

Things get definitely better during the drydown where Santal Wood verges towards the transparent woody-spicy territories already seen in Costume National Pour Homme and, say, Ormonde Man. The base is actually nice, not overly synthetic, radiant and well blended but, overall, the fragrance doesn't have the ability to poperly stand out.

Not as bad as I initially thought yet somewhat of little interest.
    Last edited by alfarom; 20th August 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I was sort of excited about this, but the comments above have tempered my excitement.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I was sort of excited about this, but the comments above have tempered my excitement.
    Mike, the base is actually pretty nice if you like transparent (modern) woody stuff a-la Ormonde Man but the opening is hair-rising...