16 12.80%
  • Haven't Tried It

12 9.60%

Thread: Body Kouros

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Body Kouros

What is your opinion on Body Kouros?

Yves Saint Laurent's original Kouros that came out in 1981 is a very controversial scent on here. It is powerful, distinguished, unique and unlike anything else out there. However, despite its popularity amongst many people in the fragrance community, many people did not like this one as well, claiming that it smelled similar to a public restroom.

Body Kouros, released in 2000, shares the same name, but not much else. If you are a fan of Kouros, there is no guarantee you will like Body Kouros. If you didn't like or absolutely hated Kouros, you still may like this one so you should give it a chance. This easily could have been named anything else.

The scent of Body Kouros is a very simple one. Its opening notes are sugar cane and eucalyptus. They are the two strongest and most notable notes. I would have appreciated more ingredients, but this one is for people who want a simpler scent. I don't think the sugar cane note is too sweet at all. If you can handle Le Male or Egoiste, you can handle the sweetness of this one surely. The make-or-break of this scent is whether you like eucalyptus or not.

To me, I liked this scent, but I didn't love it. It is pleasant, though it didn't amaze me in any way. I am not sure if this is something I would personally buy, though it could be at some point.

This scent is appropriate for any age, whether you are in your 20's, 40's or 60's. As for seasons, I think this is perfect for spring and fall, or any day when it is not extremely cold or extremely hot. The strength and projection of this scent are medium, which is ideal. It is unique enough to get you noticed, but not controversial enough to draw negative attention. You could wear this casually, at the office, in a club or anywhere.

Another good thing about this fragrance is the price point. Sure, it's not groundbreaking, but it is dirt cheap. You can buy a 100ml/3.4 oz of this fragrance for $30. This is an excellent deal and there aren't a lot of fragrances out there in that price line that could compete with the quality of this one.

Rating: 7/10

Verdict: Try if you like Eucalyptus (or want to see if you like Eucalyptus). Pass otherwise.

What is your opinion on Body Kouros?
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 10th July 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Body Kouros

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent - This fragrance bears no resemblance whatsoever to its namesake Kouros. Initally, one is treated to a duet of fresh, pepperminty eucalyptus and spicy incense. This enticing fusion leads to a strong licorice accord, which is carried to the waiting middle. The pleasing anisette of the opening is subsumed by the strong and camphoraceous, clary sage as well as the sharp and fresh, chinese cedar wood, morphing it into a distinctly cool and fresh menthol. The sweet benzoin from the inviting base kidnaps the hearty heart and infuses it with its candied vanilla prominence, tempered by camphor wood with its inherent, cineole facet, and flows to its saccharine and vanilla drydown. This well-balanced and unique composition has average projection and longevity.

I was neither enthralled nor bedeviled by this scent, and gave it a neutral rating.

I voted Neutral as I used to love it, but I find it pretty boring these days. Hardly wear it now.

Somewhere between neutral and dislike. Probably my most disappointing blind buy to date.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it is cheap, but I'm probably not going to buy this one.

If I can avoid buying this, and avoid buying another cheap fragrance that is average, I can save up for a really good fragrance.

One of the only fragrances I have ever taken back to the store because it made me physically ill.

Have it and like it.

Love the hell out of it - awesome stuff !!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I have it & voted "like". It's definitely unique & one that I find I have to be in the mood for. And yeah, I think the eucalyptus note (and the bit of incense are the notes that make this one so unusual. Honestly to me, if i was describing it, I would say "it's Le Male with eucalyptus & incense added". I remember someone else describing Body Kouros as Le Male's younger, moody, gothic little brother. To me, that kinda nails it.

Blog Entries

Love it. It's not Kouros, and not even close, but it's weird and fun. It smells like I'm wearing some kind of olfactory neoprene wetsuit. Strange synthetic bogus gourmand. Just odd as hell. Can't wear it often - same as Kouros - but it's enjoyable when I do.

I just tried BK recently and it immediately made my wish list, it is by far one of the sexiest things I have ever smelled. Yesterday I did a side by side test with Lolita Lempicka, and asked some girls I was with which they preferred, everyone of them said BK. Abig hit with me, and the women around me, can't complain.

This was actually one of my biggest disappointments for a blind buy.
    Last edited by MJM_77; 11th July 2012 at 04:22 AM.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    Somewhere between neutral and dislike. Probably my most disappointing blind buy to date.
    yup, +1

I just like it right now and probably would not rebuy (small decant is enough for life time). Unique, longlasting and sexy ... but I hardly wear it. It can be great signature for folks that love it.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I am in the "Like" camp. Its pretty comforting in the cold winter. But I don't wear it often. I also feel it is a dated fragrance, but who am I to rag on someone for wearing old man cologne.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I like it but find it a tad too youthful.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It's good for the clubbing set I think. It kinda clashes with my pipe and slippers though. I've got a bottle in the Cupboard of Shame awaiting transportation to nephewdom.

I bought a 50ml bottle but got tired of it very quickly. Decanted myself 25ml and sold the rest. Not worn it for months.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I like it but find it a tad too youthful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    It's good for the clubbing set I think. It kinda clashes with my pipe and slippers though. I've got a bottle in the Cupboard of Shame awaiting transportation to nephewdom.

And to think I thought of you two as allies !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

There is only one fragrance from YSL men's range I do not like at all-Body Kouros.

Love this frag.. great for night time / dates

haven't had a chance to wear it in winter yet

I'm surprised this doesn't get more love....I personally find it more interesting than some of the other most-talked-about fragrances here. And the price tag is a bonus.

Love it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

yeah, this one is hit or miss. you can blind buy this if you want, but you may not like it.

One conclusion I've come to is that price has more to do with marketing than it has to do with the quality of the fragrance. Body Kouros is actually a good example of this - the l'Homme series from YSL sells at 50% more - it's not because these fragrances are more exclusive, it's because it's what YSL is pushing and, therefore, what people demand right now.

As for the fragrance, I voted neutral. I think the eucalyptus-incense thing is brilliant, but it's just way too sweet. If they made it more dry and woody and reduced the sugar content, it would be a complete winner for me!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    One conclusion I've come to is that price has more to do with marketing than it has to do with the quality of the fragrance. Body Kouros is actually a good example of this - the l'Homme series from YSL sells at 50% more - it's not because these fragrances are more exclusive, it's because it's what YSL is pushing and, therefore, what people demand right now.
    Agreed. BK was, probably, double the price at launch. In 10 years, we may see L'Homme at $30.

This is one that I like!!!
    Gary

I like it ... a lot.

I like it, but I have to be in a very particular mood to wear it. When the mood is right, it is very fine stuff. Otherwise, it can strike me as a little harsh and screechy. Still, very glad it's in my collection. Good price, too.

I got sick of it very quickly and never liked it too much to begin with.

Love it, awesome juice!

Very underrated. Wish I knew about it when I was younger.

Neutral, I do acknowledge it as a good scent, but strictly subjectively, I do like other YSL scents far more.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Its opening notes are sugar cane and eucalyptus. They are the two strongest and most notable notes. I would have appreciated more ingredients, but this one is for people who want a simpler scent.
    I don't think you have really gotten a handle on this scent. The last way I would ever have described it is as a sugar cane and eucalyptus scent.

From Fragrantica,
    "Top notes are eucalyptus and incense; middle notes are chinese cedar and clary sage; base note is benzoin."

From OsMoz,
    "The brisk nutmeg and eucalyptus scent contrasts with the smoky, spiritual smell of incense, then gives way to the warmth of leather, produced by benzoin, camphor wood and musk"

I didn't like it much at all when it first came out, but it really grew on me. Now I think of it as something very special, not as something run of the mill.

I voted "like", because while there are a few scents I may really like (almost love) wearing an awful lot at times, I don't love any scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

Love after it settles down

Body Kouros is one of the few male fragrances that I love to wear, being a woman. I think it's a wonderful scent, it makes me feel sexy, in a powerful, joyful, full of life and energy way. It draws me back in the '80, when everybody wanted to be healthy and athletic, in an optimistic state of mind Love it!
    "Start the Day with Love;
    Spend the Day with Love;
    Fill the Day with Love;
    End the Day with Love;
    This is the way to God."

This is one that I almost love. Unfortunately, lurking beneath the sweet woody incense lies (to my nose) an annoying note that I can't get past. I can't clearly identify what it is, but it strikes me as one of those would-be "fresh" notes found in so many aquatics. It's very subtle in Body Kouros, but enough for me to notice and to make BK a lot less enjoyable than it is otherwise. When I test BK on my wrist, I always think, "Damn, that's good. Why don't I wear this more?" Then I give it a full wearing and remember why.

I get the same type of note in Escada Magnetism, another sweet woody fragrance that I would otherwise love.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I just like it right now and probably would not rebuy (small decant is enough for life time). Unique, longlasting and sexy ... but I hardly wear it. It can be great signature for folks that love it.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Love the hell out of it - awesome stuff !!
    This. One of my favourite scents.

A really nice scent but unfortunately it lacks something to my nose. Something to make it that little bit more masculine.

BK is one of the best smells ever. I took quite a risk when I blind bought it but I'm glad I did. BK is really a unique scent with a good longevity. If you really want to stand out BK is a right choice for you! I've also heard women love this juice. Just remember not to overspray it since it's pretty strong. Just 1-2 sprays to neck/chest and youre set. I can definitely see me wearing BK all year round. Thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
    A really nice scent but unfortunately it lacks something to my nose. Something to make it that little bit more masculine.
    totally agree!
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

Like wearing with leather jacket.

I'm late to respond, but I love BK.
    I've never received a single compliment on this one, though, and I use 5-6 sprays (in the summer fragrances can disappear if you sweat), that's strange. It's really underrated. I don't think this has bad projection, as I smell it all day, so the absence of compliments is unexplainable.

Love!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Actually prefer the original Kouros to Body Kouros. Don't like the spearmint eucalyptus notes. Do like the incensy vibe.

Like it, but there are better options with extra interesting notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Like it, but there are better options with extra interesting notes.

Horrible stuff. Too sweet, too flowery. Seems like it should be a women's fragrance to me. Also a blind buy based on some of the comments I first saw here. Won't be doing THAT again. It's very interesting how some people can love a fragrance and others can't stand it. A totally subjective thing.

I didnt think Body Kouros was pleasant at all. To me, it was just a smell, and one that I didnt think anyone would find pleasing. I blind bought the bottle, and sold it quite quickly.