Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Banned

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed vs. Cool Water (Similar?, Is GIT worth the price?, Cool Water inferior?)

When I first smelled Cool Water in the 90s I never thought I'd ever have to mourn about it, but now that the old formulation is gone I pretty much regret it.

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed vs. Cool Water (Similar?, Is GIT worth the price?, Cool Water inferior?)

After experiencing GIT, Cool Water shouldn't even be mentioned...It is miles better in my opinion.

Is there a way to block any posts that mention Creeds? I'm getting sick of that brand being mentioned(like everyday a dozen times).

BTT Cool Water will be sufficient enough.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    After experiencing GIT, Cool Water shouldn't even be mentioned...It is miles better in my opinion.
    Absolutely agreed. I also found that the differences were much more obvious the more I wore GIT.

Like others I find GIT and CW very similar in the dry down. GIT has that greener, fresher vibe and CW is sweeter and more powdery. Out of all the Creeds I've tried GIT has the best longevity.

Is this really another GIT vs Cool Water thread or am I dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I remember when I used to be in the "CW smells exactly like GIT" camp and ardently thought that GIT wasn't worth the price. Well, I have since done a full 180. After about a year of not wearing CW, I decided to try it on again. To my astonishment, I realized it was unwearable. I think because my nose matured. As others have mentioned, it was terribly synthetic, which kind of made it even cloying.
    I once wrote a piece here about how when one starts in the fragrance hobby, it's like being in High School - especially when "Cool Water smells the same as GIT". And how one has finally graduated, when one does the U-turn, and they smell absolutely nothing alike.

I have an embarrassing post from about 10 or 11 years ago saying the GIT is good, but it smells too much like Cool Water.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I'm talking about retail. Both have excellent sales, but I'm talking about a typical case. And I heard WalGreens upped their prices now.
    Still $139 and if you can find a 20% coupon it can be had for less.

GIT is worth every penny at that price and isnt really comparable to CW (which is a decent scent in its own right). Its just like MI and Sean Jean unforgivable i dont see the similarity others do.

Cool Water is a cheap synthetic
    This

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    Is there a way to block any posts that mention Creeds? I'm getting sick of that brand being mentioned(like everyday a dozen times).

BTT Cool Water will be sufficient enough.
    Er, just ignore them?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I once wrote a piece here about how when one starts in the fragrance hobby, it's like being in High School - especially when "Cool Water smells the same as GIT". And how one has finally graduated, when one does the U-turn, and they smell absolutely nothing alike.

I have an embarrassing post from about 10 or 11 years ago saying the GIT is good, but it smells too much like Cool Water.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    If it takes 10 years to graduate then that's not a problem.

When I go out to a social event, they will only be smelling me for under an hour. Not enough to develop that distinction.

[QUOTE=BrianH1016;2622882]I kind of agree that the violet note makes a big difference to my nose. I immediately get that green violet leaf at the top of GIT. I like both & do see the comparison in that they share a similar kind of vibe or feeling (especially from a distance). But there are differences in the notes. To me, GIT is violet leaf and lemon verbena up top that dries into a sandalwood and ambergris base, while CW is lavender & peppermint on top with a base of moss, musk, & sandalwood & tobacco. I think GIT is brighter & more green on top, while CW is sweeter & mintier. In the drydown, GIT gets a tad sour with that ambergris note that I'm not too fond of, while CW stays sweeter and more mossy/musky (and I would say cleaner than GIT's ambergris note).

[QUOTE]
    This and I prefer CW

I wore Cool Water all through college. Thought it was the greatest thing then. However, everything has it's time and place. Now smelling it, I couldn't imagine wearing it. It just doesn't seem to fit anymore.

When I tried Green Irish Tweed recently (blind bought a bottle through Walgreens at a great price) I ended up selling it after a few weeks. Although one can pick out difference between the two, GIT felt the same to me. It is a great fragrance, it just there are so many experiences and memories attached to that type of scent for me. I feel dated wearing it; for me, it had it's time and place.

Along the same lines, there are many powerhouse fragrances from the 80's that I couldn't imagine wearing because they remind me of my father. Love the guy and can appreciate the fragrances, just don't want to smell like that.

The "bottom line" is that Molto Smalto is better than both of them, at least for me, though GIT is quite good. CW, by contrast, tries to do way too much right at the outset and never lets up. I find it irritating, with notes clashing in a major way. I like this general idea, and I've tried over and over again with CW, but the note clash never fails to irritate.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th July 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Mind you, I have only owned 2 bottles of GIT, a 2 ml tester bottle and a 120 ml full new sealed bottle.

I've owned 5-6 bottles of Cool Water, the first I bought in 1989, the second probably in 1991, third in 1993 and so on up until the last one which I bought in 2011 - a 200 ml version of the new formulation.

I find the new formulation very similar to the old one - not that much of a difference to my memory.

Both the GIT batches I own and the one I tested - all have a similar top note to Cool Water, I spray GIT and IMMEDIATELY think one thing, and one thing ONLY: COOL WATER

After maybe 30 minutes to an hour, they still have a very similar vibe to my nose - but then after 1 hour I start to smell the difference. GIT continues out on a more natural violet scented way, where as Cool Water continues on the more synthetic smelling road.

I love both frags to be honest - and if I wasn't a collector, I would never ever get GIT, but stay with a 200 ml bottle of Cool Water for $45-$50

Pierre Bourdon is a good friend of Creed, and you notice that in these frags:

Original Santal by Creed - Individuel by Mont Blanc, perfumer Bourdon
    Orange Spice by Creed - Kouros by YSL, perfumer Bourdon
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed - Cool Water by Davidoff, perfumer Bourdon
    ENOUGH SAID !!!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Agree with CHSifert right above. Everytime I've compared I get the same opening, etc and the difference is noticebale only later on. I enjoy both but don't wear CW anymore and only sprung for a small GIT once and then sold it.

But I'll tell you what, in my history of wearing scents from a young kid until now I NEVER got as many compliments or got snuggled up to and sniffed more than when I wore CW in law school from 1993-1996.(I was 23-26) It was a daily thing of hugs and nose in the neck.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

If it takes 10 years to graduate then that's not a problem.

When I go out to a social event, they will only be smelling me for under an hour. Not enough to develop that distinction.
    Women have much better noses than men do, so they'll know the difference.

Most prefer Cool Water, but recognize GIT as being something much classier.
    Regards,
    Renato

Women have much better noses than men do, so they'll know the difference.

Most prefer Cool Water, but recognize GIT as being something much classier.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Most women do......I'll bet you one thing though, the average base noter with more than 1000 posts or so in here have equal to better noses than the average woman out there - I'll bet you that !

I sense smells my GF doesn't. I also sense smells my brother and father haven't got a clue is there.....

Sometimes I can sit with a couple of my friends and then I ask one of them: Are you wearing Bleu de Chanel today, and he will respond....uhmmmm not sure....yeahh...you're right - I have that on, but sprayed it on 10 hours ago, nice catch !

(He probably was lying - he just like to be complimented on how he smells, but on the other hand I don't think so )
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Agreed entirely.

Cool Water is good for wearing for other people.
    GIT is good to wear for yourself.
    I also tend to agree about this.

I used to wear Cool Water and always thought it was more on the sweet side. GIT to me has a lovely green scent which kinda makes me think of Irish moors, fresh cut grass with some mist in the air. If I got a bottle of CW for gift I would wear it, but GIT is probably my top favorite and it does last on me a good 8-10 hours easily. If I was to buy one of the two, I would definitely spend the extra money and get the GIT.

In my opinion GIT now is what Cool Water used to be. Someone mentioned Luca Turin and his rating and praise of Cool Water over GIT. In a way I agree with him because Cool Water let the masses smell Boudon's second version of GIT. If your really a fan of GIT, do yourself a favor and see if you can find a vintage version of Cool Water.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Most women do......I'll bet you one thing though, the average base noter with more than 1000 posts or so in here have equal to better noses than the average woman out there - I'll bet you that !
    I think you'd lose your bet. Some things are innate.
    If I were on a Forum about how to find things in a refrigerator, I could have 20,000 posts but just about any woman will still come along and out do me.
    And same thing here - in general, women would out-smell me any time.

I'm sure that there are some males who are better at it than most females, but that would be the exception rather than the rule. And since you are easily outperforming your father and brother, I'd suggest that as evidence that you are more likely the exception.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Again, I can only confirm what I said on other previous threads, I'll take GIT anyday.
    Currently wearing: Lancetti Uomo by Lancetti

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am a little disappointed. While the quality of GIT is superior, after the first 20 minutes, they are much more identical than I thought they would be.

I think they are similar, but GIT has something more unique to it. Is it worth the price difference? Yes, that black bottle is sweet! haha

For an interesting twist on this vibe, try Ineke Derring Do. The price is really good and a similar scent, but with a lot of uniqueness.

I am a little disappointed. While the quality of GIT is superior, after the first 20 minutes, they are much more identical than I thought they would be.
    Cough, cough - choke - uhhmm - perhaps you should spray some of each on different pieces of paper, place them far away, and visit them every hour or so.

Interesting how our perceptions vary so much.

I will be very interested to see if you post the same thing in a week's time.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

Very interesting and original thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting and original thread.

There's no mistaking the two. GIT smells like a wet, rainy day in a green field. CW smells like cleaning supplies. I had a girl smell both and she said they didn't smell very much alike and she much preferred the GIT. CW may have smelled more like GIT back in 1988 when it came out, but the modern day CW does not.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I'm sure that there are some males who are better at it than most females, but that would be the exception rather than the rule...
    My thought is that they may be better at detecting what I call "naturalness," but that note detection is 100% "nurture," or close to it. I'd like to see an experiment where perfumers put together what they consider some really "synthetic" smelling frags and some very natural smelling ones, and then men and women with similar frag backgrounds would be asked what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My thought is that they may be better at detecting what I call "naturalness," but that note detection is 100% "nurture," or close to it. I'd like to see an experiment where perfumers put together what they consider some really "synthetic" smelling frags and some very natural smelling ones, and then men and women with similar frag backgrounds would be asked what they think.
    You can try nurture me by any method, including electric shock treatment - I will always be hopeless at note detection.

But I'm pretty darn good at telling differences between scents. I've noticed that people who are very good at identifying notes seem to get totally confused by focusing on a couple of notes and come up with numerous Scent X is Exactly the same as Scent Y type comments, when to me (and numerous others) they are nothing alike.
    Cheers,
    Renato