Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Green Irish Tweed vs. Cool Water (Similar?, Is GIT worth the price?, Cool Water inferior?)

I searched the forum history. I know this discussion has happened a few times before on this forums. However, there is some new blood on this forum so I want to give them their chance to comment on this long-debated topic.

For those who don't know, here are the basics.
    1. Creed released Green Irish Tweed in 1985. Highly popular in the fragrance community, though it is expensive ($200-300 per bottle).
    2. Davidoff releases Cool Water in 1995. It sold well, and at only $20-30. Many people see it as an attempted clone of Green Irish Tweed.
    3. Some say that GIT is overpriced and not worth it when Cool Water is nearly the same. Others say that GIT is well worth it and Cool Water is a cheap synthetic imitation that doesn't even compare.

(Personal background: Cool Water was my first fragrance I ever owned. 5 years later, I began collecting fragrances. I tried hundreds of designers, though Cool Water still remains one of my favorites.)

I sprayed Green Irish Tweed on my left hand and Cool Water on my right hand. Here are the results

First Spray
    If we are going by the first impression. The first spray. The first ten seconds. The fragrances are much different. Cool Water is dominated by a heavy lavendar opening. Green Irish Tweed starts out with a very strong lemon scent. In all fairness, it was probably the most high quality lemon note that I know of. Eventually Cool Water organizes itself and settles down, in about 15-30 minutes. The lemon scent in GIT is more subtle and it really helps the scent overall. At first impression, they don't smell much alike. In a half hour, they start smelling more similar.

Are they similar?
    As they dry down, they are both very similar (like 80% similar), even though at opening they are almost nothing alike. Green Irish Tweed, up-close, is certainly of much higher quality than Cool Water. The ingredients are clean, crisp and much more easily detectable. Cool Water definitely seems to be the cheaper and more synthetic one in comparison. Green Irish Tweed easily wins, but both are very good fragrances. To me, I would give Cool Water an 8 or 9 and Green Irish Tweed a ten. Keep in mind that a ten is a rating that I very rarely give.

Is Green Irish Tweed worth the price?
    It depends. How serious of a fragrance collector are you? How much disposable income do you have? If you have no problem with investing a lot of money into a cologne collection because it is something you are really passionate about, I would easily recommend it. If you aren't too serious about cologne collecting and just want to smell good, then go with Cool Water. GIT is ten times the price. It is much better, but not ten times better. Cool Water gets the job done. Green Irish Tweed doesn't just get the job done. It gets it done masterfully.

After experiencing GIT, is Cool Water still a respectable fragrance?
    Much respect to the promethean Davidoff for taking a $300 fragrance and taking the essential of it and making it accessible to everyone. After experiencing GIT, I can easily go back to wearing Cool Water. The difference is big, but not that big. Cool Water may not be as good as GIT, but still in itself is a versatile compliment getter.

Bottom Line
    Cool Water, as it passes through the air smells very good though up-close it may seem synthetic and cheap. The ingredients are harder to identify, but it creates an overall aroma and mood that most designers can't. Cool Water is not something to be examined closely, but rather taken in as a whole. Green Irish Tweed is the opposite. From a distance, GIT could easily be mistaken as Cool Water by the untrained nose, however, when you examine closely, GIT is unmistakably high quality and a real pleasure to smell. Cool Water gets the job done, but GIT will have you smelling your wrists all day.

Any comments, questions or opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed vs. Cool Water (Similar?, Is GIT worth the price?, Cool Water inferior?)

It's a long debated topic with no answer - you like what you like and if this conversation has gone on for this long, it's not going to go much further unless they drastically get reformulated.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/174...-or-Cool-Water
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297...-to-Cool-Water
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...Head-challenge

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed vs. Cool Water (Similar?, Is GIT worth the price?, Cool Water inferior?)

Weird, I just bought CW today after owning GIT for a while. Truth be told, I got it because it was on offer, but actually had a conversation with the SA about the similarity to the Creed. Does the Creed offering smell better? Yes. It's more natural, obviously better ingredients. Do they smell similar? Yes. CW will be a casual, doing odd jobs around the house scent for me; if I want to go out (though I'd have no problem wearing the Davidoff) I'd probably reach for GIT. I suspect that Cool Water may actually perform better in the longevity department, but without a full wearing, I'm just speculating.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to test Green Irish Tweed myself to see what the fuss is all about, though I would never buy it since I already have Cool Water and would rather spend money on something radically different. Thanks for the analysis though. It's very interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

CW is a good fragrance for the $.

GIT is miles better though. Quite noticeably different.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Weird, I just bought CW today after owning GIT for a while. Truth be told, I got it because it was on offer, but actually had a conversation with the SA about the similarity to the Creed. Does the Creed offering smell better? Yes. It's more natural, obviously better ingredients. Do they smell similar? Yes. CW will be a casual, doing odd jobs around the house scent for me; if I want to go out (though I'd have no problem wearing the Davidoff) I'd probably reach for GIT. I suspect that Cool Water may actually perform better in the longevity department, but without a full wearing, I'm just speculating.
    I agree with your assessment. Cool Water does have better longevity, but GIT's longevity is not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by automorphism View Post
    I would love to test Green Irish Tweed myself to see what the fuss is all about, though I would never buy it since I already have Cool Water and would rather spend money on something radically different. Thanks for the analysis though. It's very interesting!
    Yeah, that's my logic here. I'm not adverse to buying GIT at all, but I have a whole list of fragrances I would like to buy that would add to my collection something completely different from what I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post

Noticably different in close-range. If you were to stand two feet away, it would be harder to tell.

Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Noticably different in close-range. If you were to stand two feet away, it would be harder to tell.
    Bottom line is that they do smell similar, but the differences are probably only going to be noticed by the wearer. The same thing can be said about a ton of fragrances. Also if your going to take into account other people's opinions besides the wearers then your talking about all kinds of possibilities and odd responses. I can make a point that from 2 feet away Le Male smells like Amouage Reflection or Invasion Barbare.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Bottom line is that they do smell similar, but the differences are probably only going to be noticed by the wearer. The same thing can be said about a ton of fragrances. Also if your going to take into account other people's opinions besides the wearers then your talking about all kinds of possibilities and odd responses. I can make a point that from 2 feet away Le Male smells like Amouage Reflection or Invasion Barbare.
    Agreed entirely.

Cool Water is good for wearing for other people.
    GIT is good to wear for yourself.

I'd disagree, Modern Cool Water is extremely synthetic and Tweed has that unmistakable Violet note. For me the difference between the two is really quite large.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I'd disagree, Modern Cool Water is extremely synthetic and Tweed has that unmistakable Violet note. For me the difference between the two is really quite large.
    This. Never really understood the comparisons
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

maybe you have a different batch of GIT than i do, because they do smell VERY similar at dry down

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of agree that the violet note makes a big difference to my nose. I immediately get that green violet leaf at the top of GIT. I like both & do see the comparison in that they share a similar kind of vibe or feeling (especially from a distance). But there are differences in the notes. To me, GIT is violet leaf and lemon verbena up top that dries into a sandalwood and ambergris base, while CW is lavender & peppermint on top with a base of moss, musk, & sandalwood & tobacco. I think GIT is brighter & more green on top, while CW is sweeter & mintier. In the drydown, GIT gets a tad sour with that ambergris note that I'm not too fond of, while CW stays sweeter and more mossy/musky (and I would say cleaner than GIT's ambergris note).

As I said, I own & like both (I'm actually wearing CW today). But honestly my favorite scent in this genre that hasn't been mentioned is the often compared Chez Bond from Bond No 9. It's closer to CW in smell than to GIT, but it ramps up the sweetness a bit more by drying to a really nice herbal tea & vanilla note. If you like GIT & CW, I highly recommend giving Chez Bond a sample.

Cool Water was released in '88

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    Cool Water was released in '88
    LOL. My mistake.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm somewhat new to this and don't pretend to have a sophisticated nose. All I have is my own experience and GIT puts a big smile on my face. I love smelling that fresh green scent all day. The one time I tested CW I experienced what smelled like a chemical factory explosion.

One other point, if you are spending 200 to 300 for GIT you are getting seriously screwed.

I agree!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Aspen, released just after Cool Water, is actually closer to GIT, especially at first. Coty makes both Aspen and Cool Water and Cool Water and GIT were both designed by Pierre Bourdon. So a close relationship.

I find all three are distinctly different takes on a similar theme and all are, in their price ranges, good fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Bottom line is that they do smell similar, but the differences are probably only going to be noticed by the wearer. The same thing can be said about a ton of fragrances.
    Yup. This. 100%.

In the end, you've got to ask "Do I wear this for me or do I wear it for others?" If you wear it for others, I'd say get Cool Water. If you wear it for yourself and you like it enough to find the price worth it, then get GIT.

And, by the way, I think it's A-OK to wear a scent for others. I have stuff I specifically own because I know women like it on me. What you have to do is figure out how much you wear a scent specifically for yourself, and then ask if it's worth the price to YOU. That's not just true of GIT. It's true of any scent, I think. It's only worth the price if you think it's worth the price. I think GIT isn't worth it, but I think Aventus IS worth it. But that's just my nose for my wallet. I know some here think the opposite, and they're right.

The only wrong answer is thinking GIT is worth it because it's expensive or because it's by Creed. That's wrong. But if you smell it and think it's worth it, then that's the right answer.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Vintage Cool Water when it first came out was an outstanding fragrance that I truly enjoyed wearing and have very fond memories of. I honestly can say I might have picked vintage CW instead of, or at least as equal to GIT back then. The current version of CW is not as good as it once was, IMO, and GIT is superior nowadays... That said, like some have mentioned even in its current "inferior" guise, Cool Water remains a good value.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

so I want to give them their chance to comment on this long-debated topic.
    Why lord why????
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when I used to be in the "CW smells exactly like GIT" camp and ardently thought that GIT wasn't worth the price. Well, I have since done a full 180. After about a year of not wearing CW, I decided to try it on again. To my astonishment, I realized it was unwearable. I think because my nose matured. As others have mentioned, it was terribly synthetic, which kind of made it even cloying.

I then tried on GIT and realized the two are miles apart. I ended up doing something I never thought I'd do, bought a full 4 oz bottle of GIT and never looked back. GIT truly smells like fresh cut grass and, to me, very natural smelling. CW has become just too synthetic for my taste, wouldn't consider ever wearing it again.

For the fragrance newbies out there, I doubt they'd notice a difference. However, once they try many fragrances (especially high quality niche ones), they will soon realize there is truly a noticeable difference between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Yep, this. Quite large sums it up.

Comparing GIT to CW is like comparing Jessica Alba to Oprah Winfrey... take your pick....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

i never really thought they were that similar. I really like GIT, if you get a good batch. I think it's worth it, if you can find it at a discount. Full retail, I would say no

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

They are almost the same but Cool Water is much better.

It must be, Luca Turin says so.

Not that this hasn't been said before, but . . .

1. GIT is not ten times the price of Cool Water. I buy GIT at a typical 4 oz. price of about $140.00. Last time Walgreens had a sale, it was even less. Granted, GIT is many times more expensive, just not ten times so.

2. At its best, GIT is so different from Cool Water they smell very different; my favorite bottle of Green Irish Tweed (from maybe 2008) had an incredibly lush violet note that was utterly absent from CW. But at its worst, GIT is only marginally better. Cool Water, due to its synthetic makeup, smells the same bottle to bottle. I personally think that consistent smell is pleasant enough, but nothing special. If I'm wearing a cologne at that price point, it's going to be Live Jazz.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

GIT is not worth retail although I do own a decant of it. the Opening & heart is lovely, too bad it doesnt last long on my skin.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Not that this hasn't been said before, but . . .

1. GIT is not ten times the price of Cool Water. I buy GIT at a typical 4 oz. price of about $140.00. Last time Walgreens had a sale, it was even less. Granted, GIT is many times more expensive, just not ten times so.

2. At its best, GIT is so different from Cool Water they smell very different; my favorite bottle of Green Irish Tweed (from maybe 2008) had an incredibly lush violet note that was utterly absent from CW. But at its worst, GIT is only marginally better. Cool Water, due to its synthetic makeup, smells the same bottle to bottle. I personally think that consistent smell is pleasant enough, but nothing special. If I'm wearing a cologne at that price point, it's going to be Live Jazz.
    I'm talking about retail. Both have excellent sales, but I'm talking about a typical case. And I heard WalGreens upped their prices now.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

G.I.T. was my initial niche fragrance. It is so refreshing and a fantastic opening. I dies on the skin fairly quickly so that top note is short lived. Cool Water is very simililar to G.I.T., mid way and dry down. It is a lot more synthetic though. But for hanging out on the weekends, back yard, playing some ball, etc. I believe cool water is the better deal of the two. Most persons I know cannot tell the difference between the two.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first smelled Cool Water in the 90s I never thought I'd ever have to mourn about it, but now that the old formulation is gone I pretty much regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

After experiencing GIT, Cool Water shouldn't even be mentioned...It is miles better in my opinion.

Is there a way to block any posts that mention Creeds? I'm getting sick of that brand being mentioned(like everyday a dozen times).

BTT Cool Water will be sufficient enough.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    After experiencing GIT, Cool Water shouldn't even be mentioned...It is miles better in my opinion.
    Absolutely agreed. I also found that the differences were much more obvious the more I wore GIT.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others I find GIT and CW very similar in the dry down. GIT has that greener, fresher vibe and CW is sweeter and more powdery. Out of all the Creeds I've tried GIT has the best longevity.

Is this really another GIT vs Cool Water thread or am I dreaming?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I remember when I used to be in the "CW smells exactly like GIT" camp and ardently thought that GIT wasn't worth the price. Well, I have since done a full 180. After about a year of not wearing CW, I decided to try it on again. To my astonishment, I realized it was unwearable. I think because my nose matured. As others have mentioned, it was terribly synthetic, which kind of made it even cloying.
    I once wrote a piece here about how when one starts in the fragrance hobby, it's like being in High School - especially when "Cool Water smells the same as GIT". And how one has finally graduated, when one does the U-turn, and they smell absolutely nothing alike.

I have an embarrassing post from about 10 or 11 years ago saying the GIT is good, but it smells too much like Cool Water.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I'm talking about retail. Both have excellent sales, but I'm talking about a typical case. And I heard WalGreens upped their prices now.
    Still $139 and if you can find a 20% coupon it can be had for less.

GIT is worth every penny at that price and isnt really comparable to CW (which is a decent scent in its own right). Its just like MI and Sean Jean unforgivable i dont see the similarity others do.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Water is a cheap synthetic
    This
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    Is there a way to block any posts that mention Creeds? I'm getting sick of that brand being mentioned(like everyday a dozen times).

BTT Cool Water will be sufficient enough.
    Er, just ignore them?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I once wrote a piece here about how when one starts in the fragrance hobby, it's like being in High School - especially when "Cool Water smells the same as GIT". And how one has finally graduated, when one does the U-turn, and they smell absolutely nothing alike.

I have an embarrassing post from about 10 or 11 years ago saying the GIT is good, but it smells too much like Cool Water.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    If it takes 10 years to graduate then that's not a problem.

When I go out to a social event, they will only be smelling me for under an hour. Not enough to develop that distinction.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BrianH1016;2622882]I kind of agree that the violet note makes a big difference to my nose. I immediately get that green violet leaf at the top of GIT. I like both & do see the comparison in that they share a similar kind of vibe or feeling (especially from a distance). But there are differences in the notes. To me, GIT is violet leaf and lemon verbena up top that dries into a sandalwood and ambergris base, while CW is lavender & peppermint on top with a base of moss, musk, & sandalwood & tobacco. I think GIT is brighter & more green on top, while CW is sweeter & mintier. In the drydown, GIT gets a tad sour with that ambergris note that I'm not too fond of, while CW stays sweeter and more mossy/musky (and I would say cleaner than GIT's ambergris note).

[QUOTE]
    This and I prefer CW

Post Thanks / Like

I wore Cool Water all through college. Thought it was the greatest thing then. However, everything has it's time and place. Now smelling it, I couldn't imagine wearing it. It just doesn't seem to fit anymore.

When I tried Green Irish Tweed recently (blind bought a bottle through Walgreens at a great price) I ended up selling it after a few weeks. Although one can pick out difference between the two, GIT felt the same to me. It is a great fragrance, it just there are so many experiences and memories attached to that type of scent for me. I feel dated wearing it; for me, it had it's time and place.

Along the same lines, there are many powerhouse fragrances from the 80's that I couldn't imagine wearing because they remind me of my father. Love the guy and can appreciate the fragrances, just don't want to smell like that.

The "bottom line" is that Molto Smalto is better than both of them, at least for me, though GIT is quite good. CW, by contrast, tries to do way too much right at the outset and never lets up. I find it irritating, with notes clashing in a major way. I like this general idea, and I've tried over and over again with CW, but the note clash never fails to irritate.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th July 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mind you, I have only owned 2 bottles of GIT, a 2 ml tester bottle and a 120 ml full new sealed bottle.

I've owned 5-6 bottles of Cool Water, the first I bought in 1989, the second probably in 1991, third in 1993 and so on up until the last one which I bought in 2011 - a 200 ml version of the new formulation.

I find the new formulation very similar to the old one - not that much of a difference to my memory.

Both the GIT batches I own and the one I tested - all have a similar top note to Cool Water, I spray GIT and IMMEDIATELY think one thing, and one thing ONLY: COOL WATER

After maybe 30 minutes to an hour, they still have a very similar vibe to my nose - but then after 1 hour I start to smell the difference. GIT continues out on a more natural violet scented way, where as Cool Water continues on the more synthetic smelling road.

I love both frags to be honest - and if I wasn't a collector, I would never ever get GIT, but stay with a 200 ml bottle of Cool Water for $45-$50

Pierre Bourdon is a good friend of Creed, and you notice that in these frags:

Original Santal by Creed - Individuel by Mont Blanc, perfumer Bourdon
    Orange Spice by Creed - Kouros by YSL, perfumer Bourdon
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed - Cool Water by Davidoff, perfumer Bourdon
    ENOUGH SAID !!!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with CHSifert right above. Everytime I've compared I get the same opening, etc and the difference is noticebale only later on. I enjoy both but don't wear CW anymore and only sprung for a small GIT once and then sold it.

But I'll tell you what, in my history of wearing scents from a young kid until now I NEVER got as many compliments or got snuggled up to and sniffed more than when I wore CW in law school from 1993-1996.(I was 23-26) It was a daily thing of hugs and nose in the neck.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

If it takes 10 years to graduate then that's not a problem.

When I go out to a social event, they will only be smelling me for under an hour. Not enough to develop that distinction.
    Women have much better noses than men do, so they'll know the difference.

Most prefer Cool Water, but recognize GIT as being something much classier.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Women have much better noses than men do, so they'll know the difference.

Most prefer Cool Water, but recognize GIT as being something much classier.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Most women do......I'll bet you one thing though, the average base noter with more than 1000 posts or so in here have equal to better noses than the average woman out there - I'll bet you that !

I sense smells my GF doesn't. I also sense smells my brother and father haven't got a clue is there.....

Sometimes I can sit with a couple of my friends and then I ask one of them: Are you wearing Bleu de Chanel today, and he will respond....uhmmmm not sure....yeahh...you're right - I have that on, but sprayed it on 10 hours ago, nice catch !

(He probably was lying - he just like to be complimented on how he smells, but on the other hand I don't think so )
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed entirely.

Cool Water is good for wearing for other people.
    GIT is good to wear for yourself.
    I also tend to agree about this.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wear Cool Water and always thought it was more on the sweet side. GIT to me has a lovely green scent which kinda makes me think of Irish moors, fresh cut grass with some mist in the air. If I got a bottle of CW for gift I would wear it, but GIT is probably my top favorite and it does last on me a good 8-10 hours easily. If I was to buy one of the two, I would definitely spend the extra money and get the GIT.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion GIT now is what Cool Water used to be. Someone mentioned Luca Turin and his rating and praise of Cool Water over GIT. In a way I agree with him because Cool Water let the masses smell Boudon's second version of GIT. If your really a fan of GIT, do yourself a favor and see if you can find a vintage version of Cool Water.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Most women do......I'll bet you one thing though, the average base noter with more than 1000 posts or so in here have equal to better noses than the average woman out there - I'll bet you that !
    I think you'd lose your bet. Some things are innate.
    If I were on a Forum about how to find things in a refrigerator, I could have 20,000 posts but just about any woman will still come along and out do me.
    And same thing here - in general, women would out-smell me any time.

I'm sure that there are some males who are better at it than most females, but that would be the exception rather than the rule. And since you are easily outperforming your father and brother, I'd suggest that as evidence that you are more likely the exception.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Again, I can only confirm what I said on other previous threads, I'll take GIT anyday.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am a little disappointed. While the quality of GIT is superior, after the first 20 minutes, they are much more identical than I thought they would be.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are similar, but GIT has something more unique to it. Is it worth the price difference? Yes, that black bottle is sweet! haha

For an interesting twist on this vibe, try Ineke Derring Do. The price is really good and a similar scent, but with a lot of uniqueness.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a little disappointed. While the quality of GIT is superior, after the first 20 minutes, they are much more identical than I thought they would be.
    Cough, cough - choke - uhhmm - perhaps you should spray some of each on different pieces of paper, place them far away, and visit them every hour or so.

Interesting how our perceptions vary so much.

I will be very interested to see if you post the same thing in a week's time.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting and original thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting and original thread.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no mistaking the two. GIT smells like a wet, rainy day in a green field. CW smells like cleaning supplies. I had a girl smell both and she said they didn't smell very much alike and she much preferred the GIT. CW may have smelled more like GIT back in 1988 when it came out, but the modern day CW does not.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I'm sure that there are some males who are better at it than most females, but that would be the exception rather than the rule...
    My thought is that they may be better at detecting what I call "naturalness," but that note detection is 100% "nurture," or close to it. I'd like to see an experiment where perfumers put together what they consider some really "synthetic" smelling frags and some very natural smelling ones, and then men and women with similar frag backgrounds would be asked what they think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My thought is that they may be better at detecting what I call "naturalness," but that note detection is 100% "nurture," or close to it. I'd like to see an experiment where perfumers put together what they consider some really "synthetic" smelling frags and some very natural smelling ones, and then men and women with similar frag backgrounds would be asked what they think.
    You can try nurture me by any method, including electric shock treatment - I will always be hopeless at note detection.

But I'm pretty darn good at telling differences between scents. I've noticed that people who are very good at identifying notes seem to get totally confused by focusing on a couple of notes and come up with numerous Scent X is Exactly the same as Scent Y type comments, when to me (and numerous others) they are nothing alike.
    Cheers,
    Renato