• nuetral

7 21.21%
  • dislike

3 9.09%
  • haven't tried it

4 12.12%
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default M7 Fresh - a worthy successor to M7?

M7 Fresh is a more modern adaptation of M7. Most of the cherry syrup notes are gone, and the opening is mostly grapefruit. Though you can still smell M7 in the background. The drydown is good, but doesn't match M7's drydown at all.

I really came in here with high expectations, but honestly, M7 Fresh is good, but not much better than the hundreds of ho-hum colognes sold at malls.

Default Re: M7 Fresh - a worthy successor to M7?

Have both in my collection and like both.

I don't know about it being a successor to M7, but as a flanker that has the "fresh" label it stands out from the crowd. I personally think it's a great fragrance, love wearing it (anyone want to sell me a bottle?), and have gotten positive reactions from people who have smelled it on me. The only thing that I think could be better would be the projection and longevity. It's not awful, but if it was a tad stronger it would be fantastic.

It's a good one, especially if you love M7, but worry about wearing it in warm weather. I think it works well as a lighter, more wearable version for summer. Took a few wearings before I really "got it," and now I'm very glad it's in my collection.

Should say, though: the original is far, far better.

Be careful - this one was one of the worst reformulation that I have smelled. The first pressing I love. The most recent - yuk.

Banned

I just traded away my bottle of vintage M7, but kept my M7 Fresh. I really like it, especially in the summertime. I think it has that je ne sais quoi the original lacks.

This one has been on my "potential blind buy" list for a few weeks now. I've sworn off new purchases for a while, but M7 is one of my favorites, and I have been sorely tempted by this. Hmmm.....

I've both in my collection and I love 'em...

The original vintage M7 is one of the best fragrance ever made.... end of story...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I blind bought M7 Fresh first, then traded it for original M7. While M7 Fresh is ok fragrance (and unique in its genre of fresh summer scents) its in different league than M7 which I strongly prefer.
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I don't know about it being a successor to M7, but as a flanker that has the "fresh" label it stands out from the crowd. I personally think it's a great fragrance, love wearing it (anyone want to sell me a bottle?), and have gotten positive reactions from people who have smelled it on me. The only thing that I think could be better would be the projection and longevity. It's not awful, but if it was a tad stronger it would be fantastic.
    well said.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Banned
    Blog Entries

yeah, it lacks in projection.

Banned

I like M7 Fresh (vintage) quite a bit but have never worn it much. The original genius is M7.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah Candide. This doesn't stand up to the original M7, the king, at all.

I reviewed this one on BN just now. Had to give it a nuetral - 6/10.

[IMG]http://***********************/instances/400x/23303102.jpg[/IMG]

More seriously though, it is a flanker (and a "Fresh" sumer/spring one at that) and was sold side-by-side while the original M7 was sold.

I bought it blind after a blind buy of Vintage M7 (found it in a fragrance boutique while in Palm Desert and figured I would be stupid not to buy it). I love the original M7 for all it's mystery and brashness - dry, incense, medicinal oud and strange "cherry-esque' sweetness (i't actually not really cherry per se as it comes from the medicinal aspect of the oud, but I have yet to find a better way to describe it). I loved wearing it in the dry night heat of the desert... waves of arid woody saccharine would seem to waft up my collar. It worked pretty well in the daytime dry heat as well. In a more humid climate I find that it does better in the cool... enter M7 Fresh.

After returning from my vacation in the desert I was back at home by the coast. With summer coming and the greater humidity on the coast I was looking for something that work well. I came across M7 Fresh through the reviews and given that it is discontinued, had to blind buy it if I wanted it. After reading the reviews, somehow I got it in my head that it was just M7 with grapefruit/mandarin added to it and the medicinal oud toned down... I bought. I waited eagerly, knowing that if it were even 80% as good as the original M7, I would love it.

I got it and I have to admit, at first blush I thought... "eh... what is this?" It wasn't my beloved M7, bold and brash; it didn't project like M7. Where was the monster longevity? Where was my oud? ...then I wore it for a week.

Each time I sprayed it, I started to realize the medicinal oud was there... I just had missed it. It was there in the background the whole time, less prominent but still playing a role. Carrying the bitter grapefruit and the dark mandarin notes and blending with them... this is where the fruity pebbles analogy comes in. I think people say they smell fruity pebbles rather than more common citrus notes as there is something more to it than a lot of other citrus based scents. I think of it like the difference between tangerine and orange juice. Tangerine is just it's more lush and mouthwatering than orange juice and this is the case with M7 fresh, it's citrus is just so much more than normal citrus notes... I think it is the oud somehow enhancing the mix.

Yep, the incense is pretty much gone, completing the transformation of this fragrance into a warm weather scent. I get a great longevity, but mostly as a skin scent in doors. Out doors in the coastal heat it projects a lot more.

So in an sense, yeah, the original M7 is there, but only in that it has a family resemblance. It's like seeing a sister and brother and saying "yeah, I see the prominent family features, in both, but clearly they are different people... different sexes even!" M7 Fresh belongs in the family but it is the sparkling friendly sister to the dark, brooding, and mysterious brother.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have both in my collection and like both.
    This.

Me too. They are very different, and the commonality is SUBTLE, but both worth having. I can't wear M7 in the Phoenix summer, but the Fresh flanker is perfect. Projection and longevity are just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post

... waves of arid woody saccharine would seem to waft up my collar
    M7 as a flanker is an absolute hit. So true to its name. Swap grapefruit for cherry and you get the same great DNA as M7. El Guapo's description above really encapsulates the essence of this fragrance. If you are fortunate come across a bottle of it ... Grab it

Good, if one likes lighter flankers of M7.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It smells good. Obviously has the DNA of the Mighty, Vintage M7. However, it fades away so quickly. I guess it is good for hot, humid days.