Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Parfumerie Generale - No. 25 Indochine

From nstperfume.com:

French niche line Parfumerie Generale will launch No. 25 Indochine this month. The new fragrance was inspired by a mythical cruise on the Mekong river, circa 1920.

Indochine is a spicy powdery woods and centers on benzoin resin. Additional notes include pepper, thanaka wood and honey.

Parfumerie Generale No. 25 Indochine will be available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Parfumerie Generale - No. 25 Indochine

Wow sounds amazing. Hope the honey not isn't too prominent.

for swap/sale:

I agree, this sounds great! And from a House that I am always paying attention to.

thanks JC!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Very interesting.

Mmmm, any benzoin orientated fragrance gets my attention :-)

Thanx for the heads up. PG is one of my favorite houses, so naturally I'm keen to sample their new creations.

Bump.
    Any impressions ? I'm intrigued (especially by the 'thanaka wood'), but haven't had the time to sniff it yet.

"Thanaka wood" could be a new variant of the 'musky woods' note or our dear friend 'Iso-E-Super'
    -

I had a chance to smell this today and try it on my skin. I actually like it a lot and PG is in general a difficult house for me. Whilst I can appreciate accords PG creates, I hardly ever fall for a whole composition. I would definitely advise to sample it in connection with the Kurkdjian's Cologne and Absolue pour le Soir. These three are to my perception too much related to justify more than one for my own wardrobe (I already own Absolue). This is good stuff and definitely worth checking out. The honey is clearly there, but the sweetness is sort of pulled back by a "fresh vibe". Wonderfully balanced! Maybe Kurkdjian is a touch naughtier if your intentions go in this direction...

^ Great, thanks for the report, Larimar. I'm hoping to try this one on Sunday. Very interested to hear you found it comparable to MFK's cologne / absolue pour le soir. That wasn't quite what I was expecting. Was there a sort of sandalwood-esque vibe there that you could attribute to the thanaka wood ? I'm familiar with the paste made from thanaka from my travels in Burma, hence my particular interest in this release.

You will tell us, gandhajala! I haven't had an encounter with thanaka, in fact I had never heard of it before. Burma you say? I think it could fit the pictures you have in mind. It is a very clever, sophisticated and balanced blend that has, which I am able to state now, good longevity. Now I want a sample and will work on it cost-efficiently on my next downtown stroll...

Thanks, Larimar. I'm even more intrigued now

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Thanks, Larimar. I'm even more intrigued now

Ditto! Thanks Larimar.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Bump. Any more impressions? Is there another thread on this one? If so I can't find it. It's getting some great reviews on the blogs that have mentioned it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Got the bottle today! Could not wait and sprayed it on my wrists! I never as a rule blind buy but the notes were just too good not to take a punt!
    Had it on now for a few hours! First 10 seconds and its all over the place - it settles down and I am thinking "Portrait of a Lady". Larimar - I have both Kurkdjian's Cologne and Absolute Pour Le Soir but could not identify with them directly with this. It starting to settle and stay rather close (unlike Portrait of a Lady) and quite enjoying it as I do not have anything similar in my wardrobe! To my nose its a more solid composition that sits tight on your skin in comparison to POL> So far no regrets! Will give this a couple of days of full wearing before getting into the nitty gritty!

Still waiting for this to arrive in London

Default Indochine - anyone try yet?

New Parfumerie Generale scent, Indochine. Sounds good but a bit sweet. Anyone smelt it in the flesh yet? I've been known to knee-jerk blind-buy PG new releases (Papyrus de Ciane was a winning entry) but I don't think I'll be doing that again soon. Do tell what you know.

Default Re: Indochine - anyone try yet?

Also interested.

for swap/sale:

Another interested Basenoter.

It's amazing.

In my brain's nose

Count me in as interested...

There was a recent thread about it. You can find it by using the search function.

Err Yes, I have it. Well actually got two bottles of it (embarassed). The last bottle was handed over to me as a freebie by Pierre Guillaume himself (Now I do really sound like a pretentious P---k).

I have worn it a few times as my SOTD.

As I am absolute rubbish with words I search a few reviews and chose one that I could assimulate with my own personal thoughts of this scent.

"As I have been wearing Indochine over that last few days it felt like a fragrance which has its own unique patina. M Guillaume chose ingredients from throughout the region as his notes for Indochine. He chose Honey from Laos, Pepper from the city of Kampot in Cambodia, Ceylonese Cardamom; and two very unique ingredients. The first is a traditional wood paste use widely in cosmetics in Burma called Tanakha. The second is an opulent Benzoin from Siam which is the central core of Indochine. It is this Benzoin which creates the foundation of Indochine and it is another tour de force from M. Guillaume". Quoted from http://www.cafleurebon.com

I found the projection to be not the best and the dry down staying close to the skin. Longevity is not bad 7-8 hrs. The combination of the materials and structure is well done. Yes, its an oriental but not in your face one type. Although I have nothing in my collection I can call similar. If anything it has an YSL Opium EDP vibe to it but a much more complex base with an oriental wood, honey and a strange incense style streak.

For my first Pierre Guillaume I do like it. Yes it stays in my collection as a impulse mood wear!

If your a collector of orientals then this is a must try. If your hesitating then why not go for the 30ml bottle, first?

Quote Originally Posted by galwaygirl001 View Post
    Mmmm, any benzoin orientated fragrance gets my attention :-)
    This frag is all about benzoin to me. If you like benzoin, you'll like #25 - good stuff to my nose.

If your looking for an outstanding Pierre Guillaume scent, look no further than

Myrrhiad by Huitieme Art. A sensational new frag that is simply intoxicating and addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    If your looking for an outstanding Pierre Guillaume scent, look no further than Myrrhiad by Huitieme Art. A sensational new frag that is simply intoxicating and addicting.
    So, this one gets your vote? I received a sample of this with the Huitieme Art sample pack and have to say that most of them have this weird accord running through them (including Myrrhiad) - a kind of body cream accord. Do you get this?

Update: Just testing Myrrhiad again and I'm getting that waxy benzoin aroma I used to smell in Givenchy's Pi EDP...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    So, this one gets your vote? I received a sample of this with the Huitieme Art sample pack and have to say that most of them have this weird accord running through them (including Myrrhiad) - a kind of body cream accord. Do you get this?

Update: Just testing Myrrhiad again and I'm getting that waxy benzoin aroma I used to smell in Givenchy's Pi EDP...
    Yes Myrrhiad gets my vote. It's one of a very few fragrances that has a natural, unartificialness about it.

The body cream accord you refer to probably is the milky almond accord that I so enjoy. Much better than the almond in Sharif, which is pretty good. No almond listed in the notes, I think it's a result of vanilla and licorice.

I'm loving my sample of it, but my perception is it is more of a gourmand than oriental. Very compelling, keep sniffing my wrist, making me sad it is losing its initial gorgeous punch more quickly than I had hoped it would. I keep thinking it has to have a tiny bit of coconut in it though 'officially' there is none.

Yes, I got that gourmandish milky accord when I finally spritzed more generously from my sample. It is exactly what disappointed me immediately when I picked it up.

I received a bottle from kccparis blind and I'm loving it. Like one would expect from Pierre Guillaume, this is benzoin done right. It's amazing how this can be so warm, full bodied and intoxicating without ever turning too sweet. It's particularly impressive how the structure of this fragrance stays together, it's solid and focused and never turns into a nondescript mess. I have hard time distinguishing the notes but overall feel is that of benzoin and honeyed woods with a very slight peppery accord. Highly recommended. This is probably my new favourite oriental along with Eau Lente. And I'm very picky with orientals. Also, unlike with the Diptyque juice, here you don't have to wait 30 minutes before you can really enjoy the scent - or leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    This is probably my new favourite oriental along with Eau Lente.
    You just got me very interested

Similarities between this and Eau Lente are superficial, but there are certain things in common. Both are deep and resinous orientals without too much sweetness. Both are also masterfully blended with a very focused feel - lack of evolution after the initial thirty minutes in both cases is an accomplishment, not a flaw. These two aspects - restrained sweetness and solid structure - are very important for me in orientals and heavier fragrances in general.

Due to the amazing and thoroughly unique melange of spices, Eau Lente's drydown is probably more remarkable, but Indochine is much more wearable and simply smells very good (uh, what an analysis). Anyway, I could imagine that a fan of Eau Lente would like this one.

EDIT: Just sprayed again, and cardamom is very noticeable in the beginning, I have no idea how I could have missed it the first time around. It then fades quite fast but stays noticeable. Along with pepper and woods it nicely keeps the honey and benzoin in check.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 8th November 2011 at 10:44 AM.

Yeah, but Eau Lente's illustration on the box and label has a picture of "me" lounging on a divan, being fanned in the heat, being guarded by hunky warrior dude, etc.

O.k., seriously, the references to one of my favorite Diptyques has got me going now. Eau Lente was a winner - and not shy about it. Just using the soap in the shower made the house fragrant for hours.

I like it. It's all about benzoin to my nose. If you like benzoin, you'll like Indochine

What I like much more is Myyriad - from Pierre Guillaume's Huitieme Art line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I had a chance to smell this today and try it on my skin. I actually like it a lot and PG is in general a difficult house for me. Whilst I can appreciate accords PG creates, I hardly ever fall for a whole composition. I would definitely advise to sample it in connection with the Kurkdjian's Cologne and Absolue pour le Soir. These three are to my perception too much related to justify more than one for my own wardrobe (I already own Absolue). This is good stuff and definitely worth checking out. The honey is clearly there, but the sweetness is sort of pulled back by a "fresh vibe". Wonderfully balanced! Maybe Kurkdjian is a touch naughtier if your intentions go in this direction...
    I'm trying this one tonight...I going to compare it to APLS as suggested. Does this remind anyone of Bois Farine? Tis is a nice fragrance.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Basenotes Plus

where can you get this juice??
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg