Code of Conduct

Default Comme des garcons - 2 different versions? Advice needed

COMME DES GARCONS
    Ive got 2 bottles of the original CDG scent. 1 says it was made in Spain and is smooth and smells great. The other says product of France on it and although it is actually stronger with greater longevity it is a lot harsher and not as nice.

I was wondering if they did 2 versions or whether one is a fake (they were both purchased from Ebay and one from Kuwait). I must admit if it is a fake its a very good one and I probably wouldnt have noticed without the other to compare it to.

Can anyone help? Thanks Gez

Default Re: Comme des garcons - 2 different versions? Advice needed

There are two versions, one is an EdT and the other EdP. I have no idea how they differ or which respective country either is manufactured in.

Basenotes Institution

Is the juice the same color in both bottles?

Do you mean two different bottles of CdG, the very first one, or do you mean CdG 2, a different scent?

I ask because I think Ruggles is right in his above post about separate edt and edp versions, but only if referring to CdG 2. I've got the first one, CdG, and it's edp only. Heck, maybe it was made in an edt as well, but I strongly believe it's only an edp. My bottle of CdG is edp and product of France. I haven't experienced any other bottles of it so I regret I can't really help.

What I've got is great great stuff though.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Perhaps I'm wrong, I was referring to the original in my post, DustB. But I swear I've seen both Edt and a EdP versions of it for sale. Here's an image of the bottle for sale on Luckscent, it's an EdP, and it has Made in Spain printed on it.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th January 2010 at 12:40 AM.

They are both EDPs and both the same colour (also both the original CDG fragrance) however they do smell quite different. They have the same spicy cardoman smell but as with the one photographed above in a much more pleasant way. The other is harsher, but bottle wise the only difference is no mention of Spain and the lid is slightly flimsier.
    I was wondering because my Spanish one is running out and I was looking to replace it but dont want to end up with another like the French version, as while it is pleasant as an eveyday scent, Id put the other in my top ten.

This is intriguing. Mine is made in France, bought second-hand off a woman in Switzerland.

Is the Spanish manufacture the older or the younger, I wonder...?

Basenotes Institution

This is the first time I've heard of batch variations on the CdG EdP. Perhaps your bottle, with the 'From France' label has turned a bit, due to improper storage (not blaming you...maybe this was done prior to you purchasing it?)

CdG one of my favorites. i remember when i bought mine they had an offer for two bottles one light brown with a big letter 2 on it and the other opaque white perl color bottle. both were fabulous but different scents. i bought the encense brown one but wishe i got the other one two the white opaque. it's smell is mezmerizing! that was 10 years ago and is not found anymore. i am afraid that when a fragrance is discontinued fake ones begin to appear. i would only trust an approved dealer to buy fragrances.

Having had a look at most authorised dealers, they all seem to have the 'Made in Spain' version, which makes me wonder about the other. However It did come sealed in an authentic box so shouldn't have gone off and does smell good if it is a fake. You wonder why anyone would bother faking such a niche product and obviously putting a lot of effort into it, but you never know

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    Having had a look at most authorised dealers, they all seem to have the 'Made in Spain' version, which makes me wonder about the other. However It did come sealed in an authentic box so shouldn't have gone off and does smell good if it is a fake. You wonder why anyone would bother faking such a niche product and obviously putting a lot of effort into it, but you never know
    Well, even sealed boxes can be subjected to heat (ie: storing on a shelf right under a hot light above, storing on a shelf in direct sunlight, etc), which might affect a fragrance. Happens all of the time.

counto: The ones you are describing are entirely different fragrances than Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum. There are:

Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum (clear glass, amber liquid)
    Comme des Garcons Eau de Toilette (clear glass, greenish liquid)
    Comme des Garcons 2 (silver bottle, with a 2 across it)
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man (amber bottle, with a 2 MAN across it)
    Comme des Garcons White (white bottle, with WHITE across it)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th January 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The ones you are describing are entirely different fragrances than Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum. There are:
    Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum (clear glass, amber liquid)
    Comme des Garcons Eau de Toilette (clear glass, greenish liquid)
    I always thought that these were the same fragrance in two different strengths. This is what I was referring to in my earlier response to this thread.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I always thought that these were the same fragrance in two different strengths. This is what I was referring to in my earlier response to this thread.
    Ah, I see what you mean.

Yes, same scent, the EdT is a bit easier to wear. I've always wanted to buy it, but it's so hard to find these days. The only place I've ever seen a bottle for sale is at Barney's. Even the Dover Street Market store in London doesn't have it on their site. Maybe it's officially discontinued? Nonetheless, I'm happy with my EdP bottle (and the Bath Oil that I bought this past Fall). One of Buxton's finest achievements, IMO.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th January 2010 at 04:56 AM.

My apologies. I have always thought that these were two different scents rather than strengths of the same scent. Sorry about my confusion on that Ruggles.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Wow, I thought that I was loosing my mind. I've never smelled the EdT version, but always wanted to. I'll have to pop into Barneys sometime soon and, if they have it, give it a try.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th January 2010 at 05:51 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Wow, I thought that I was loosing my mind. I've never smelled the EdT version, but always wanted to. I'll have to pop into Barneys sometime soon and, if they have it, give it a try.
    I think you'd like it R, as I remember you selling your bottle of the EdP because you found it a bit too much.

I saw it at Barney's LA, not sure if the NY one has it, but it's worth checking out.

I'm very tempted to blind buy it, being the CdG completist I am. Especially if it's officially discontinued.

Just wondering: I've got a bottle of the original CDG EDP, but it does not have a spray-mechanism. so only dab-on...
    Is this a fake, or have there been different releases/fake?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 王家名 View Post
    Just wondering: I've got a bottle of the original CDG EDP, but it does not have a spray-mechanism. so only dab-on...
    Is this a fake, or have there been different releases/fake?
    I remember seeing the EdP in a splash bottle once.

Are you sure your bottle is not the bath oil - which also does not have an atomizer? Is the juice very thick and viscous?

no its just the 50ml bottle, of which the juice is just like any other edt/edp I own...

The original CDG 2 come out in (what is to me) a more striking, long lasting EDT version.
    It had more distinction and was less forgiving and round.
    The EDP came out later... was more middle-ground in terms of having a safer balance and more grounded, muted notes.
    I love both... but prefer the EDT... don't be afraid of the seeming edges it has... it is a striking modern reprise in black and silver of some old turn of last century perfumes but updated so that it's personality becomes you after a few wearings.
    STILL if you prefer the smoother EDP which I think is phasing out the edgier original... then go with the flow!

it's the same perfume!

COMME des GARÇONS Eau de Parfum (1994) first it was produced in France then after 1999 the production in CdG EDP, WHITE, CdG 2, CdG 2 MAN and 888 started in Spain... when you see one the above made in France means they are very old!

there was never a CdG Eau de Toilette with green liquid the name was COMME des GARÇONS Eau de Cologne it was almost the same perfume as CdG EDP, but lighter for summer. It is discontinued 10 years ago!

It seems the CDG EdT is still available online in a few places.

Thought I'd chime in on this one, since I've just purchased the original CDG EDP today. Monday when I went into the boutique and sampled the EDP, the tester which was on display was according to the sales assistant "3 years old" and clearly said "Made in France". I was ready to purchase the scent there and then, but unfortunately it was out of stock and I was told to come back today. Upon arrival there was a box waiting for me which I purchased and headed off, without opening it. Once home I opened up the box and immediately noticed that this bottle said "Made in Spain", spritzing a liberal spray on the back of my hand I noticed a distinct difference between what I sampled on Monday. This one is considerably smoother, lighter (both in smell and juice colour) and to mirror the original posters opinion, "less harsh".
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 12th July 2012 at 07:48 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting.. I didn't know that. I don't have the CDG EDP but just got 2 bottles of CDG2 EDP last week. One is a regular and the other is the limited edition Happy Pillow. I am going to check where they were made once I get home. I noticed that they were both quite similar though the limited edition seemed to project a bit better on my skin. Thanks for the info.

Got home and checked. Both were made in Spain.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 12th July 2012 at 05:32 AM.

that perfume was originally created in 1994 and the Spanish brand PUIG acquired the french Comme des Garçons in 2002, so .. perhaps you purchased a CdG perfume manufactured by Puig and perhaps It has been reformulated by Puig due to changes in licensing and manufacturing processes.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2