Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Michael Jordan Legend of New Harlem: A Review

So let's get the elephant out of the room, does Michael Jordan Legend smell like New Haarlem, yes, yes it does. New Haarlem is denser, as one would expect from an EDP, but Legend has the vanillic coffee note down pat. I imagine New Haarlem owners will feel about this the same way GIT owners feel about Cool Water, a cheaper version which takes the essence of the original diminishing its eliteness and inaccessibility causing no small measure of resentment for the guy or girl that just dropped 200 on a bottle of the Bond #9 original. People also compare Legend to Rochas Man, that comparison is a tad more problematic. While there are similarities, the lavender and floral overload in Rochas ruins it for me and makes it dissimilar to both New Haarlem and Legend in appreciable ways especially on the drydown.

Now let's talk about Legend on its own terms, this thing smells heavenly, I love the coffee note that is tempered by a leather note that keeps it from becoming overly sweet and cloying. It allegedly has green tea, anise and patchoulli, but I can't smell any of those, I get coffee, vanilla, leather and lavender. It is linear, but that's not necessarily a bad thing when the smell is this good. How about longevity? Like most gourmands, great; considering this is an EDC, the fact that it gave me 8-10 hours on multiple wearings was quite the pleasant surprise. If I had one critique, and his is for the bottle/sprayer fetishist, the bottle is atrociously cheap looking and the sprayer is complete rubbish, but given the cost, it's understandable.

Considering the cost, this thing is a no-brainer purchase for fans of coffee scents or New Haarlem fans without means. It can be had for 1/10th the cost in many places and it's just a lovely fragrance all around. While marketed to men this can be unisex and lady fans of New Haarlem could pull this off without a problem.

Default Re: Michael Jordan Legend of New Harlem: A Review

I've got a few coffee frags and enjoy them. I don't like New Haarlem because of the searing lavender, so for me it's important to know how strong the lavender is in Legend, and if it's not strong, then what else is there besides a strong coffee note? Thanks.

It's basically a stronger version of Rochas Man. If you like both of these, and want something even stronger, check out Bod Man Body Heat.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have MJ Legend. Purchased it a couple of months back. It is very good for a cheaper end cologne. The vanilla coffee notes are excellent and do well in this heat. I am with the other basenoters, I do not particularly care for the stronger lavender notes. MJ Legend is worth a try. Most younger guys will like it a lot.

MJ Legend smells way cheaper than New Haarlem does. Unfortunate fact. And that has nothing to do with "elitism."

Same with CW/GIT. Again, fact.

I'm elitist, I guess. I'm gonna go outside and wax my Rolls Royce now, if you'll excuse me. Oh wait, I drive a Hyundai. Shit.

I can handle a lot of fragrances that people say are cloying, but New Haarlem is one that just is in a cloying league of it's own. I know it's popular, but I simply can't wear it. I've smelled Legend and it's definately easier to wear. Personally I prefer Givenchy Play Intense over all of the fragrances mentioned. I like the citrus and strong coffee note in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    MJ Legend smells way cheaper than New Haarlem does. Unfortunate fact. And that has nothing to do with "elitism."
    I get that you have an experienced nose and know the difference. Most of us in the forum could probably spot the difference. But I wonder if 99.99999% of the rest of the population can. We're talking about a niche bottle that sells for $160 for 50ml. I saw MJ Legend at Ross for $12. Nearly $150 price difference. I probably should have bought it just out of curiosity.

If I were to buy one for the following...
    For a niche frag convention, I'd probably go with New Haarlem (of these two, Bond/MJ, I mean)
    For a date in November? I'd think Legend.

I'd say the same for Git/Cool Water. I'd buy GIT if I wanted it specifically for myself. I'd buy Cool Water if I wanted that sort of scent to wear to a wedding - again, going with Git or Cool Water as the only choices. I own Gucci Pour Homme II, and I'd wear THAT to a wedding

I'm of the opinion that niche is something you buy for yourself. I shelled out nearly $200 for a niche frag for myself, in fact, because I loved it.

I'm of the opinion that you need not go niche if you want something to wear for others, like on dates or to most events.

The fact that people compare a $30 full bottle frag to a $230 full bottle frag speaks more highly of the cheapie, quite frankly.

Geez. For $12, I should have bought the darn thing. The only reason I didn't is because I own Givenchy Play Intense.

Yeah, the sprayer on Legend is doodoo, but that's my only gripe with it. For $12, you can't beat that with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    For $12, you can't beat that with a bat.
    Where I'm from, the saying is "...can't beat that with a stick." But a bat makes so much more sense, plus it sounds better. I'm upgrading. No more sticks for me.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Where I'm from, the saying is "...can't beat that with a stick." But a bat makes so much more sense, plus it sounds better. I'm upgrading. No more sticks for me.
    lolz, yeah, bats>sticks. You can haz upgrade!

For those who don't know but who don't like gourmands with strong lavender, there is Jacomo for Men ("Silver") if you want a "masculine" coffee frag that is cheap but at least reasonably good.

If I could justify spending $200 on a cool flask of New Haarlem, I would do it - except that I am perfectly happy with both Legend and Rochas Man. Legend is a bit more masculine and lasts longer for me. Rochas is a little more flowery and sexy. I think New Haarlem is on it's own when it comes to bunching the three together. I'm not elitist...but I would certainly have New Haarlem if not for the fear of buyer's remorse. I like all three for different reasons.

Bigsly: I find the lavender in this far more tolerable, that said, if you don't like New Haarlem, you won't like this, it's very very similar, especially on the drydown. I actually find this less lavender laden than either Rochas or New Haarlem, but is the lavender detectable? yup, absolutely. The base of this, however, depends as much on leather and vanilla.

Thanks!

Legend paints a somewhat similar picture, yes. But I just dont agree with calling someone elitist because he/she prefers a better quality fragrance.

I rank niche and designer frags as equals, and buy on a case-by-case basis.Even though Bond No. 9 annoys me at times, they really hit a homerun with NH

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Legend paints a somewhat similar picture, yes. But I just dont agree with calling someone elitist because he/she prefers a better quality fragrance.

I rank niche and designer frags as equals, and buy on a case-by-case basis.Even though Bond No. 9 annoys me at times, they really hit a homerun with NH
    Fair point, but there are those who simply buy status symbols rather than fragrances. I'm merely suggesting that Legend provides a very similar fragrance for a fraction of the cost and that's bound to upset those who've just spent some large amount on the scent from the niche house. A lot of aspersions cast on Cool Water for example stem from this phenomenon. As mentioned, outside of connoisseurs, very few people could discern a difference between New Haarlem and Legend.

BigTruck: Agree and actually it's $230

http://www.bondno9.com/shop/eau-de-p...ew/new-haarlem

Finally got this one. I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't looking forward to it. I owned Rochas man at one time and it was a good scent, but just didn't last on my skin. I do find that Legend lasts a bit better but what I like about it is that while Rochas was a bit "cotton candy" sweet, this more of a smooth vanilla/caramel.

I personally never cared for New Harlem, far far too syrupy sweet to my nose.

What a bargain at $24 for a 100ml bottle.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    For those who don't know but who don't like gourmands with strong lavender, there is Jacomo for Men ("Silver") if you want a "masculine" coffee frag that is cheap but at least reasonably good.
    I didn't care for New Haarlem because of the lavender and the waffles and syrup effect. Didn't care for Legend because it was too sharp and synthetic. To be honest I didn't get the coffee note in either one. How much does the coffee note stand out in this Bigsly?