Code of Conduct

Default My Wife just broke her deceased moms perfume bottle..

My wife is devastated. She just broke the only possession her deceased mom passed on to her.

Here are some pictures of what remains http://imgur.com/a/e9hBf#0

Id love to find one just like it as a surprise. Any help identifying & finding a replacement would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Bob.

Blog Entries

Default Re: My Wife just broke her deceased moms perfume bottle..

Bob,

Here is one that looks identical to me. It's Waterford crystal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATERFORD-CU...e#ht_500wt_944

And another:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterford-Cr...#ht_500wt_1178

And another:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WATE...#ht_500wt_1178

And another:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wate...#ht_944wt_1163

Just search eBay using the terms "Waterford Crystal Perfume bottle" and others come up like these.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 14th July 2012 at 01:31 AM.

Geeez, I love the internet!!!!

Thanks, I think that is it! Life saver. Thank you

Now all I have to do is try to identify the perfume! Not sure how to do that aver the internet!!!

My wife doesn't know what it is.

Blog Entries

short_bob,

Since the perfume belonged to her mother, it may be a vintage formulation of a perfume that has since been discontinued or reformulated. (Many of these can still be found on eBay.) Do you have any idea when she bought it? How old was your mother in law? Did she buy "nicer" clothing, shoes, bags or was she more budget-minded? If she splurged a bit on accessories she may have on perfumes as well.

There are some folks on here who are very good at blind sniffs-- figuring out what a perfume is from smelling it. You could swab some of the remaining perfume from the broken bottle carefully with a clean swap, seal the swab in a ziplock bag and mail it to one of these excellent sniffers who may give you an idea of what it is. I won't volunteer for this, I'm not so good at that, but someone else here may.

You could also take it to a perfume counter, preferably at a store like Saks or Neiman Marcus, and sniff fine perfumes, trying to identify it that way. Visit Guerlain and Chanel counters and ask the sales associate to sniff the swab too. But it may be difficult to do this if the perfume has changed over time, and it may have done so if it is quite old.

Still, it would make for an interesting project for us here-- smell the swab and identify the perfume.

You might want to surprise your wife with the bottle but then enlist her cooperation in the scent identification project. Did your wife wear the scent at all? Can she compare it to any other perfume she has smelled? Flowery, sweet, powdery, spicy, any descriptors would help.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 14th July 2012 at 06:55 PM.

We love blind sniffs....

What we need are as many clues as possible. 30 roses has given you a start point. Just brainstorm every single thing that comes to mind and put it here. The oddest thing may give us a clue.

Basenotes Plus

My sympathies to your wife, short-bob. What a fine fellow you are to undertake this project.

Excellent detective work Sherlock 30Roses.

Would I be correct in supposing that the perfume was decanted into the Waterford holder? I did that 1 or 2 times 30 plus ears ago and then forgot what was in the bottle.

Good luck Bob
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Hi Guys & Girls,

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I'd be more than happy to swab something and mail in a zip lock bag. Can you send personal messages on this site?

My wife is so upset that she doesnt even want to talk about it (long story)!! So Im doing this in secret.

Yep, you are correct. It was decanted into the Waterford Crystal bottle.

What can I tell you? Well, not a lot. Her mum was American, died young in San Francisco about 4 years ago. I reckon approximately 45 50 years old. There is family in Hawaii where my wife has a sister. That could be a clue? Average income. Nothing too flashy.

Im hopeless at this kind of thing but I think it does smell florally. Kind of rich / heavy. Not over powering. I guess it has lost some of its power due to how it has evaporated.

Could I use a liquid to move it from the bottle to perhaps another? Alcohol perhaps?

My wife never wore it. She just sniffed the bottle to remind her of her mom from time to time

If you think there is enough for you to be able to help let me know and Ill figure out a way to get a sample to you.

Thanks again everyone! I wasn't expecting such a positive response.

In other news my replacement Waterford Crystal replacement bottle is on its way

Blog Entries

Yay for the new bottle heading your way!

Sound like your MIL was around my age-- I'm 56 now.

EDIT: Which makes me wonder if it would have maybe been one the 1980s powerhouse fragrances: Opium, Poison, Paris or maybe Halston even, from the mid-1970s. You may also want to try Joy and Chanel No. 5, iconic fragrances worn my so many women.

Don't use regular isopropyl/rubbing alcohol, it has a scent of its own! Is the only perfume remaining that bit we see in the photos?

If the perfume can be dabbed or picked up with a swab without being diluted, maybe it would be best to keep it that way (it would be stronger). If not, then it could be diluted with unflavored, ordinary vodka (what do the rest of you think? Would vodka work or does it need to be Everclear or Graves/ higher proof than vodka?)

Yes, you can send private messages. Click on the username and select from the drop-down menu "private message".

Who is well-versed in lots of ladies scents and is willing to give it a try? What about Haunani? I'm thinking of the Hawaii connection. Or maybe Twolf? Knit?

Another thought: Is it possible the perfume was given to your MIL by her husband? Is he still living and can he be asked?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 17th July 2012 at 02:40 AM.

I think I'll leave the diluting project for last resort!

Hmmm, it could be one of those 1980's perfumes. Ha, that's taking be back a bit

Sadly, her Father is no longer with us. I never actually met the in-laws. There is just one person I know I could ask... an uncle. Don't know him very well so I might sleep on that. I have no idea how close they were.

Correct, unfortunately what you see in the pictures is all that's left. What do you reckon? Should I use a cotton wool ear bud for the smell test?

I'm in San Diego. How awesome would it be if I was local to one of the blind sniffers! I could bring the bottle remains.

Basenotes Plus

I've been following this thread but seeing as you were already in such good hands, I did not have anything further to add until now.
    A blind sniff would be a very good idea. We're actually quite good at those.
    Would you be able to visit a shop in San Francisco? There's a place there called Josephines. The owner can be quite cantankerous but he knows his stuff. He has quite a collection of older, as well as recent fragrances. I'd see if you could talk with him first and present your case. He may tell you to forget about it or he may say "come see me."
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Great idea, RHM!

Two other ideas:

1. There is a group for BNers in the LA area; San Diego isn't too far from there, right? Maybe someone from the area will be able to help you ID the fragrance?
    http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=17

2. I see there is a thread about perfume shopping in San Diego-- maybe taking the fragrant remains to a fine perfume counter and sniffing around may help you find it?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/177433-San-Diego

OK, I'm getting excited about this now!!

We have loads of friends in San Francisco and I know just the girl who might be willing to help me.

She owns a fabulous boutique selling antique / vintage clothes, shoes and fun stuff like that.

LA isn't too far away but I need a good reason to disappear for the 6 hours or so it would take me... I'll have to come up with something.

This project has gone from a nightmare to something that I'm enjoying. Who would have thought I would get into bottles and perfume? DON'T TELL ANY OF MY FRIENDS!!!!

Thanks 30 roses... plenty of names in that second link. Can you help me choose a likely sounding place to go... I'm looking for an experienced nose rather than a place with huge stock, right?

If that doesn't work I'll try the San Francisco contact....

.... and as an aside I love the idea of a blind sniff so if I have any takers for that I'd still like to do it.

Edit: to say thanks to RHM for the suggestion.

Last edited by short_bob; 17th July 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Thanks RHM!

Oh, my! I just saw this! Did anyone identify it yet?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Blog Entries

Not to my knowledge, Aiona.

I hope short_bob will come back and update us on his quest.

Hi All,

Update: I found a bottle but I still need to put the foot work into visiting perfume places in the hope of identifying the perfume!

Thanks,

Bob.
    Accidental bottle dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by short_bob View Post
    Hi All,

Update: I found a bottle but I still need to put the foot work into visiting perfume places in the hope of identifying the perfume!

Thanks,

Bob.
    Good luck, Bob. I guess the idea of a "Blind Sniff" by Basenoters fell through, huh? Well, no matter! There are a TON of perfume shops in San Diego.

There's even a thread about perfume shop locations in San Diego. I am posting a link to the URL below:

San Diego

I hope that helps! May the fumes be with you! Who knows, you may find something that your wife enjoys so much that she can bequeath it to her own daughter.

Aiona
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    short_bob,

Since the perfume belonged to her mother, it may be a vintage formulation of a perfume that has since been discontinued or reformulated. (Many of these can still be found on eBay.) Do you have any idea when she bought it? How old was your mother in law? Did she buy "nicer" clothing, shoes, bags or was she more budget-minded? If she splurged a bit on accessories she may have on perfumes as well.

There are some folks on here who are very good at blind sniffs-- figuring out what a perfume is from smelling it. You could swab some of the remaining perfume from the broken bottle carefully with a clean swap, seal the swab in a ziplock bag and mail it to one of these excellent sniffers who may give you an idea of what it is. I won't volunteer for this, I'm not so good at that, but someone else here may.

You could also take it to a perfume counter, preferably at a store like Saks or Neiman Marcus, and sniff fine perfumes, trying to identify it that way. Visit Guerlain and Chanel counters and ask the sales associate to sniff the swab too. But it may be difficult to do this if the perfume has changed over time, and it may have done so if it is quite old.

Still, it would make for an interesting project for us here-- smell the swab and identify the perfume.

You might want to surprise your wife with the bottle but then enlist her cooperation in the scent identification project. Did your wife wear the scent at all? Can she compare it to any other perfume she has smelled? Flowery, sweet, powdery, spicy, any descriptors would help.
    Detective 30, is on the case!

I'm really looking forward to hearing a happy ending to this story - please keep us updated short_bob!

It's my lovely wife's birthday next week so time for an update!!

I totally nailed the perfume today with the help of Tinamarie Torres at Neiman Marcus, San Diego. Awesome woman.

What a saga though. I accidentally went to mission valley. I got up early and arrived at 9am. I didn't realise the shops don't open until 10!! Couldn't even get coffee. So I lurked and paced up and down like a caged animal. I hate shopping unless I'm sat at my computer!

Anyway I could not find any of the good places everyone was talking about on the SD perfume link above. Went to one shop and I couldn't even get the guy to smell the bottle. He was just your average box shifter. Didn't care for me and I didn't care for him very much. Found some girls in Mace's and it was then I realised I wasn't in Fashion Valley!! By this time it was 1030!!

So I hit the road but my phone absolutely REFUSED to tell me where I was so I couldn't navigate. I was rubbish. Ended up in a Chevy dealership asking a greasy looking towing dude how to get to fashion valley.

Picture the scene: Dude (me) in truck asks another dude in a bigger truck who delivers trucks where the perfume shops are in fashion valley. We talked about stuff for like 5 minutes. Surreal. Ha ha. Took his gloves off and we shook hands to say good bye. Great guy.

When I finally found the right mall I ended up parked on the roof right next to Neiman Marcus. I found the perfume counter and delivered my now fairly polished introduction. I must have looked and sounded strange... speaking fast and brandishing a ziplock bag full of broken glass.

So anyway I asked if anyone had a great nose for perfume like a wine taster. Enter Tinamarie who looked at me sideways and said slightly hesitantly "I do... sometimes". I handed her the bag and she sniffed and sniffed. It took her 30 seconds and she said I think it is XXXX and took me to another part of the store and gave me a sample to smell.

OMG. I almost meed my pants!! She nailed it. We checked with a couple of other noses in the store and everyone agreed... yes this was indeed the right perfume.

So Basenoters... quiz time! From the website of the perfume in question:

...lush white floral fragrance... Seductive tuberose mingles with jasmine, jonquil, gardenia, Bulgarian rose and orange flower in a profusion of fragile white flowers before revealing a base of sandalwood, vetiver and musk.

What do you reckon?
    Last edited by short_bob; 10th November 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Has to be Fracas!

Promise me you didn't use Google ))

You deserve a flippin medal...... What a fabulous husband you are. Three cheers for you.

Happy endings and we want to know how she receives it too.

Promise me you didn't use Google ))
    I didn't use Google but I did have to dig around for tuberose perfumes because I'm not familiar with Fracas! Having found it I have to try it of course LOL!

Mumsy is right - you DO deserve a medal!!

Wow Bob! You deserve a Husband of the Millenium award for sure!!!!! That's an amazing thing you managed to do, and I'm so glad you could track down the perfume again!

- - - Updated - - -

Just think, now your wife will have TWO stories behind that perfume. One of how her mother bequeathed her lovely bottle of perfume to her, and one of how her wonderful husband went to the ends of the earth to replace it when it was broken!

I have a dilemma. Opinions would be appreciated.

I already gave her the bottle as part of our anniversary present this year. She was blown away especially as I kept my cards close to my chest.

Do I:

A. Give her the new perfume in the box as purchased from the store?

B. Hide the Waterford bottle and decant into it... but I would have to destroy the store vaporiser to get the perfume out (Tinamarie told me what I need to do to get the perfume out). Wife's birthday is Friday so she might not miss it.. also we are in the middle of packing to move house, so I reckon could totally get away with it.

C. Give it to her (as A.) and later on ask if she wants me to decant to the bottle?

Has to be C. Right?

B or C. Honestly, I can't see too much difference between the two options. If you can do B quickly (I.E snag the bottle while she's at work and give it to her that night) all the better.

ETA: Unless you think she might actually want to WEAR the Fracas, then I'd give it to her as-is and ask her if she wants it decanted.

I would say C. Not because of anything but sheer practicality. B would be much more fun but you're moving, so it's safer kept in the spray rather than a decanter. You'll have to fess up to planning B.

OK. C. it is. Soooo excited

Blog Entries

You don't have to destroy the atomizer to decant the perfume. You can get it out using a syringe with a needle. See this thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...hout-Atomizing

I'm thrilled right along with you for finding the fragrance!! And I agree with plan C.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty48 View Post
    Has to be Fracas!
    My guess, too.

- - - Updated - - -

I have truly enjoyed reading this perfume mini-mystery! You have to be the husband of the century for tracking down the bottle AND the perfume. Your wife is one very fortunate woman.

Great video 30Roses, thanks. Might give that a go. I can split it 50/50 (or what ever) then.

Well it is definitely going to be C as I suspect my wife has already packed the bottle. Can't find it right now.

Yes, I have enjoyed this process as well. Having stepped into this female world briefly, I'm impressed at how well you look after your own! This is a much nicer place to be than some of the truck and power tool forums I frequent

So I guess I should thank you all profusely and say my good byes

You all rock. THANK YOU!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitty48 View Post
    Has to be Fracas!
    Oh, short_bob! What a wonderful end to the story! I love happy endings, and I'm glad the people at Fashion Valley were able to help you. Seriously, what an awesome nose that woman has! Bless her heart for working where people need her!

And bless yours for searching so hard.

Great video 30Roses, thanks. Might give that a go. I can split it 50/50 (or what ever) then.

Well it is definitely going to be C as I suspect my wife has already packed the bottle. Can't find it right now.

Yes, I have enjoyed this process as well. Having stepped into this female world briefly, I'm impressed at how well you look after your own! This is a much nicer place to be than some of the truck and power tool forums I frequent

I am so glad, Bob, that our friendly forum came to your aid!

Best wishes,

Prim
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Awe don't go! You're welcome here always!

Blog Entries

At least come back and tell us her reaction when she receives the bottle on her birthday!

treeman5823

Such a great story....

What a fantastic story! Sounds like it could have been a sign from dear Mom, to not hold onto the past and make new memories, laugh more and let go of the old and embrace the new

P.S. Mom had GREAT taste and you sir, deserve husband of the year award!

That was a fun story. Glad everything turned out exactly as you had hoped!

*sigh* What a wonderful story! That was so nice of you to do that for your wife! And you kept on the scent trail to find it! ; )
    Yes, please update and let everyone know how your gift giving went!

I have pms at the moment so am definitely a little more emotional than normal but reading this thread actually made me cry. so sweet.