Code of Conduct

Default Ambre Sultan skankiness

Reading reviews, I've noticed that some people get a hint of 'woman's sexual juices' from this frag.

So, my question is, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being Miley Cyrus & 10 being Christina Aguilera), how skanky do you think Ambre Sultan is?

Also, for those who wear it, how many sprays & where?

Default Re: Ambre Sultan skankiness

1 - 3 sprays - neck and chest

skanky? maybe a little. sexual juices? not rly
    it can come off quite sexy on the right person.

i go 4-5 sprays chest, back of head and neck

Yes, there are a few minutes wherein Ambre Sultan channels said "scent of a woman," but in a very positive way IMO...not "skanky."

To me, the opening of Le Labo Oud 27 captures a skankiness.

Must say not sure I understand your sliding scale.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th July 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Not skanky imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Not skanky imo.

+ 1...not skanky at all. One of the best Ambers in the market.
    2 in the chest
    2 wrists
    1 in the back of your head.

I don't get that at all. It's front loaded with herbal notes, and gradually eases into sweet and heavy amber. I react pretty negatively to any skankiness in a scent, and I don't find any with AS.

No skankiness whatsoever. Smells nothing like whatever you aspire it to smell like.

for swap/sale:

I couldn't say. Never smelled those juices.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Ten sprays, and I get a dry herbal opening.
    DONNA

Tulisa/Vanessa Hudgens out of ten.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Woman's sexual juices? Out of this? no way.

Woman's sexual juices? I don't think so. It does however have a rough herbal quality that I personally don't enjoy.

Susan Irvine The Perfume Guide actually did say this about AS.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    No skankiness whatsoever. Smells nothing like whatever you aspire it to smell like.
    I don't aspire it to smell like anything, i'm just repeating what other people have said. I've tried it & like it (esp the dry down), but I don't really get any skank from it.

Banned

I only know the older formulation and I never got the association of female genitalia. I read it on basenotes, too, many years ago.

What makes me wonder is what kind of experience with women's "sexual juices" you might have if you use the term "skanky" in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    I don't aspire it to smell like anything, i'm just repeating what other people have said. I've tried it & like it (esp the dry down), but I don't really get any skank from it.
    I'm not sure what comments you have seen. "Skank" to me implies a foul odor; unpleasant. What I find and have seen from others is that it has a bit of a similarity to female odorata sexualis which is not "skanky," and especially nice and arousing.

There are some men that find that scent unpleasant and would call it "skank." There are others who would call it heavenly. I do not equate the smell of female genatalia with "skank."
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th July 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Ten sprays, and I get a dry herbal opening.
    TEN sprays!?!?! Wow I Love AS but can't imagine going to any confined space smaller than a football field with that much on. I mean *I* would like it, but I think those around me would either molest me or run away in horror (maybe in that order).

I don't get the skankiness you speak of, but I do remember disliking AS the very first time I tried it, but a few hours later I could not stop sniffing my wrist. It is in my top 5 for sure and now I love every aspect of this frag.

One on the chest, One on the back of the neck and one on each arm
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

No really. Both sides of neck, back of neck at hairline. That is 3. Base of neck and a little lower on chest. Now up to 5 Both wrists inner and outer inner elbows. OOPs actually make than 11.

I usually get, "Oh that is nice, what is it?" This is UK/Ireland we are made of stronger stuff.
    DONNA

I don't really associate the word "skanky" in describing the scent.....

You've just made my brain hurt. Congratulations.....

The middle notes of Ambre Sultan is kind of skanky...smells like sexy ladies cootchies... but if you really want fine cootchie smelling fragrance... Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Private Blend... that one is just Royal Cootchie written all over it... I love sniffing the outside bottle of my Amber Absolute 5 ml sample... it's just a gorgeous sexy cootchie smell... awesome!!!!
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I don't think of the word "skanky" as necessarily negative when people are discussing fragrances. I've heard lots of people, including Katie Puckrik, say things like, "a bit of skankiness" as part of a positive review of a fragrance. I think MKK is pretty skanky, which is one of the reasons I love it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I don't think of the word "skanky" as necessarily negative when people are discussing fragrances.
    Absolutely. I just wondered why the word was used in such close context with female genitalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Absolutely. I just wondered why the word was used in such close context with female genitalia.
    I guess it depends on what your definition of skanky is. I'd describe skanky (esp in the context of a fragrance) as sexual bodily aromas. Different from a dirty smell in which I would put civety, fecal, bad breath, non-sexual type of aromas.

Banned

I guess it depends on what your definition of skanky is. I'd describe skanky (esp in the context of a fragrance) as sexual bodily aromas. Different from a dirty smell in which I would put civety, fecal, bad breath, non-sexual type of aromas.
    Yeah, I think my "problem" might be addressed as "lost in translation". :-)

Well indeed depends on translation of "skanky." The word skank in US is generally applied to a woman that is more than a little promiscuous which generally implies some issues with hygiene.

In fragrance terms, perhaps it can generally mean "a little bit of dirty." But having known and loved many strong and intelligent women, I do look out for language usage that is misogynistic.

Sol: I do not believe you meant it in a disparaging way. But there are many men who would equate any notation of a scent evoking the scent of female gentalia as bad, foul or perhaps "skanky."

Skanky rate: 0
    3-4 sprays on the neck.