Code of Conduct

Default Let's try some Amouage...

Yesterday a nice little package arrived with samples of the following Amouage fragrances:

Amouage Lyric Man
    Amouage Ciel Man
    Amouage Silver Man
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Amouage Dia Man
    Amouage Epic Man
    Amouage Gold Man
    Amouage Memoir Man
    Amouage Honour Man

Amouage Opus I
    Amouage Opus II
    Amouage Opus III
    Amouage Opus IV
    Amouage Opus V

It's a nice sight seeing all of the samples lined up together:

Since I've never tried any of the Amouages and considering the praise they get I was really looking forward to try them. So far I've tried two of them, Lyric Man and Jubilation XXV, and I'm wearing the third one right now, Epic Man. Here's my thoughts on them, don't expect any indepth reviews though, just some quick thoughts from the top of my head:

Lyric Man: After reading a lot of reviews on this one I was expecting a really sweet, almost gourmand, feminine, full in your face, no holds barred rose fragrance. However what I got was a pretty tame, soft, creamy, somewhat powdery rose, and only slighty sweet. Not at all what I was expecting. It smelled like some kind of rose scented skin cream a woman would wear. That's what it reminds me of, however the scent itself is not nearly as feminine as I expected and as a lot of people make it out to be. It smelled nice but absolutely not something I would wear, I think it's way too soft and well-behaved and lacked character. Not impressed by this, especially considering the price.

Jubilation XXV: This one I was looking forward to the most. Actually I was kind of afraid to try it for fear I would like it too much and had to get myself a full bottle. On first spray all I got was a really sweet, syrupy, almost sticky fruit. This lasted for quite a while and I really started to wonder if that was all there is to it and when I would finally get some of that incense I was expecting to be a major part of this fragrance. After a while I noticed that I started to get nice little wafts of incense when I was at a distance from my wrist, however when I put my nose to my wrist I still mainly got the fruit notes.

Projection was strange on this one, it felt like it pretty quickly turned into a skin scent but every now and then I suddenly got a big waft of incense like it wanted to remind me "Hey don't worry, I'm still here", and then fades away quickly again. In the drydown it gets a little ambery and woody. I kind of like this fragrance, but wish it projected a lot more. Also to me it it's not nearly the masterpiece lots of people make it out be. Yes, it's nice but unexceptional...

Epic Man: This one reminds me of Montale's Dark Aoud but more smokey. What I mainly get is Oud, Incense and something what I guess is pepper. Projection is good for the first two hours, but starts to get less now. It seems to be quite linear for now but will have to wait for the drydown. It also reminds me of another fragrance, I'm not sure but I'm thinking of Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline or maybe even Sombre Negra by Yosh...

So far, I'm not really impressed actually. Lyric Man didn't move me at all, Jubilation XXV and Epic Man I thought were OK but not impressive either. Yes, you can smell they're high quality but to me they lack character and they don't move me. Also I think projection could be a lot better on all of them. So of these three none is full bottle worthy to me, especially considering the price. I'm definitely willing to pay full price but then I'm expecting something really exceptional, unique and long lasting. But I still have a lot more to sample and I will also definitely get back to these three and give them a second chance...

Default Re: Let's try some Amouage...

Nice set of samples you have there. Have fun sampling, also you may find over time your views may change from your intial off the top of your head take on them.

I almost dislike all Amouages at first, and then with much time and many wearings I grow to highly revere them. They're certainly not "easy" compositions that can really be instantly appreciated upon first wearing but the payoff is very much worth it if you give them time. Amouage is pure quality. Savor going through all those samples!

I sampled two or three Amouages last month, and remember really liking Reflection Man. A possible future purchase. Very expensive though.

What a wonderful set of samples!

Jub XXV, as other Duchaufour creations like Timbuktu, seems quiet to your nose but in fact is radiates extensively and has great longevity. You should probably ask other people whether they smell it or not. Strange about the fruit though. What I get is mostly a clean radiant lemony frankincense. Of course, Amouage has in the past reformulated some of its feminines, so who knows what the current version smells like.

Among the others, I am rather unimpressed with the newer offerings like the Opus - it seems to me they're using Creed as their model, which is a shame. My favorites remain things like Silver (which at times seems a little disturbing, and at times I love) - a light but very persistent alternative eau de cologne with a metallic-rosy heart, and, above all, Gold man, which you should leave for last because it is the most powerful (unless, that is, they have watered down that too).

cacio

Yep, don't understimate Jub potency. As most of the Duchafour's compositions it is LOADED with iso E super and it is tremendously lasting and radiant.

Let's see what's your take on Memoir Man, Dia and Opus IV (definitely among my favorite from this house)
    Last edited by alfarom; 14th July 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Try Ciel Man on a blistering hot day so it can bloom, Its a little dormant otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Try Ciel Man on a blistering hot day so it can bloom, Its a little dormant otherwise.

You're in for a treat! And, as said above, give them all 3+ wearings, they can be quite sophisticated to get just the first time.
    I did a total 180º with Memoir Man, for example.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Well, I have to say the longevity of Epic Man is pretty amazing, it can still be faintly smelled on my wrist. To me the drydown is VERY similar to the drydown of CDG Wonderwood with a very slight hint of something animalistic lurking in the background, which I guess is the castoreum. I like this fragrance but at this point I think I could do with cheaper alternatives like Montale Dark Aoud and CDG Wonderwood which have a similar vibe to me. But I'm looking forward to give this one another shot...

Memoir Man: Wore this one today and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. It's really smokey and ashy and reminded me of Le Labo Patchouli 24 at first, however it's been quite some time I sampled that one so my memory might be off... I usually like dark and smokey fragrances a lot, the smokier the better I would almost say but somehow Memoir Man didn't really grap me like for instance Patchouli 24 did. I don't know, it seems to be a problem with most Amouage fragrances I've tried, somehow they lack 'character', for lack of a better word. They smell good but don't touch me on an emotional level. I did get a compliment on this one though...

However, I still really enjoy sampling these fragrances and finally experiencing them for the first time. Also, I feel there's probably more to get from them with repeated wearings...

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    Epic Man: This one reminds me of Montale's Dark Aoud but more smokey.
    Glad to see you also get this out of Epic Man.
    I recently made a topic about it. It quite surprised me how similar they are.

You got those samples for a great price.
    3,95 for one is very good compared to the sample set.
    The set is €45 for 6, while you have the exact same samples but without the box...

My SOTD is
    Jubilation XXV, wearing it for the first time.
    I love the fruity opening. It reminded me ever so slightly of Pure Malt's fruity topnotes.
    I think they share some of the fruity synthetics.
    I agree that the projection is strange, but like alfarom said, it's probably the iso e super.

Waiting on your thoughts on Honour and Reflection. I find these two addicting

I found Bond No 9 Silver Factory to resemble Jubilation XXV quite a bit. Actually, the first time I smelled Silver Factory, I was convinced I had smelled it before. It took me a while to figure out what exactly, but it's similar enough to warrant consideration if you're seeking a cheaper alternative.
    The Bark Bites Back.

It's kind of like wine... I didn't like it at first...now i love it.... takes time....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Try Lyric Woman, it's better and actually more masculine than Lyric Man!
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I found Bond No 9 Silver Factory to resemble Jubilation XXV quite a bit.
    I have Silver Factory, but don't see much similarity, other than they are both 'incense' frags. I'm not objecting just to be contrarian, but would hate to see someone run out and get S.F. expecting it to be much like JXXV, then be puzzled and disappointed.

If you like JXXV's fruity topnote (I do), Duchaufour also used that same accord in his L'Artisan creation for Aedes.com

VERY SIMILAR, though it lacks the dense curry spice chord(s) of JXXV. I actually prefer this one. A lot.

I haven't tried that first Aedes scent in forever. I remember it being a fairly run-of-the-mill incense but now you've got me sifting through boxes trying to find my sample of it!

Great sample set

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    I have Silver Factory, but don't see much similarity, other than they are both 'incense' frags. I'm not objecting just to be contrarian, but would hate to see someone run out and get S.F. expecting it to be much like JXXV, then be puzzled and disappointed.

If you like JXXV's fruity topnote (I do), Duchaufour also used that same accord in his L'Artisan creation for Aedes.com
    That's why it's best to always sample first - as the OP is doing. I know I'm not alone with the belief that there's similarities between the two, just as I know you're not alone believing there isn't.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Interesting, I've been meaning to try that one for some time. Still have to find out how to get a sample...

This morning I can still smell Memoir Man VERY clearly on the cuff of my shirt and it smells absolutely incredible. I can't remember it smelling like this when I was wearing it yesterday, it smells SO much different and better now, just a little bit 'sweeter' too. If it would smell like this the whole time I would get myself a full bottle in an instant. It's strange that it smells so very different now but definitely a reason to sample this one again...

I think Dia Man will be the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    That's why it's best to always sample first - as the OP is doing. I know I'm not alone with the belief that there's similarities between the two, just as I know you're not alone believing there isn't.
    Interestingly, I found Silver Factory and Jubilation 25 (the women's version) to share similarities, moreso than Jubilation XXV. They both have a grapey-incense accord running through them.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

What a picturesque composition of Amouage samples. The only absent here is Interlude Man. I reviewed it on my blog if anyone is interested ( http://chemistinthebottle.wordpress....interlude-man/ )

I didn't try all existing Amouage perfume, but from those I tried I like Lyric Man the most. The game of bergamot and rose is beautiful on my skin.

Out of JXXV, Epic and Memoir, Memoir was my first purchase from the house and ironically it's also the one I dismissed first time round sampling it. Definitely one which needs to be sampled with multiple wearings, to experience and catch the subtle intricacies and nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Interestingly, I found Silver Factory and Jubilation 25 (the women's version) to share similarities, moreso than Jubilation XXV. They both have a grapey-incense accord running through them.
    I never tried the women's version and never got around to trying Silver Factory until a couple of years ago. Upon the initial blast, I told a friend I was with "Wow, this smells like something else" - and in reality, who hasn't said that about a Bond fragrance? It wasn't until I got home and rummaged through my samples and saw XXV that it hit me.

Sure they're both incense-based fragrances, but there's a couple of common notes that give it that similar vibe: cedar and citrus in the opening (different variations of "orange"). Whereas XXV is more opulent with a thick blackberry note, Silver Factory has that metallic accord which is often associated with grape (it's there in Escada Magnetism, for instance). There's differences between those two accords for sure, but in general they provide a similar feel of "fruit" - enhanced by the orangey-ness.

I would liken it to watching Shawshank Redemption and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. Two very different movies, but when one stops to notice some of the common, thematic underpinnings of existential freedom - the fact that one takes place in an institution, the other in prison; one has an oppressive warden, the other an oppressive head nurse, etc. - you can clearly see how they have similar "tonalities" despite being different stories.
    The Bark Bites Back.

How did you get that set?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulmtAz View Post
    How did you get that set?
    I ordered the samples here, but I don't think they ship internationally...

- - - Updated - - -

Right now I'm wearing Dia Man on one hand and Reflection Man on the other hand, which turned out to be a not so smart decision as the loud Reflection Man really overpowers the subtle (too subtle?) Dia Man.

Reflection Man: Wow, this stuff is loud and screamin' and not in a good way. All I get is a really strong and sharp neroli/orange blossom and it overpowers all other notes in this fragrance to the point I can't smell much else. I've already found out that neroli/orange blossom doesn't work on me at all as my skin really emphasizes these notes to the point it actually gives me headaches and hurts my nose and throat and it's no different with this one. This fragrance reminds me of Gaultier's Fleur du Male and to a lesser extent, Le Male. I don't like this scent and I honestly don't expect it to get better in the drydown...

Dia Man: Like I said, right now this fragrance is being overpowered by its evil stepbrother. But despite that it's still pretty obvious that this is a really subtle fragrance, it has pretty bad projection on my skin and I really have to press my nose to my hand to smell it. It smells a little creamy, I get something vegetable and I think I smell some Iris, but I can't really make out much of the notes because everything is so well blended (too well maybe?) that the whole becomes a little nondescript and, there it is again, 'characterless' to me. Somehow this fragrance reminds me of L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha. Not impressed with this at all and definitely one of my least favorite Amouages so far. However, I think I'll have to sample this one again on its own without its bullying, evil stepbrother begging for attention and ruining my nose...

Oh, and I know my experience with Amouage is more miss than hit so far but in no way I want to slate Amouage or (the quality of) its fragrances, I'm just being honest. And I'm well aware that my opinion might change after repeated wearings...

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it 'update' my previous posts when I make a new one? Can't remember it doing this before, really irritating...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, one thing I have to give Reflection Man is its incredible longevity (unfortunately). This monster just won't leave and I had to scrub manically to get it off me the next day...

Wearing Honour Man and Gold Man right now:

Honour Man: I think this is a safe, unoffensive, but also little boring scent. I mainly smell vetiver and not much else and it reminds me of Sycomore and Encre Noire. Not much more to say about this, I think it's OK but nothing special at all and definitely not worth the price...

Gold Man: Don't like this one AT ALL, was very close to scrubbing this off right away and that's something I've never done before. Smells like a mixture of some cheap, very old school 80's men's cologne and the baby shampoo I used as a child. Sorry, but I just can't imagine someone paying that amount of money for something that smells like this.

Last ones to sample (excluding the Opus series) will be Silver Man and Ciel Man...

- - - Updated - - -

In the drydown Honour Man gets a little softer and creamier which is nice, and Gold Man starts to smell like piss... Great...

- - - Updated - - -

Silver Man: Starts off with a very, very sharp and tart citrus/orange which to me is unpleasant but luckily not so headache-inducing as my experience with Reflection Man. After a few minutes the sharpness settles a little but it stays very citrusy with some subtle floral notes in the background. I expected the floral notes to be much more prominent after seeing the note list but that's not the case so far. This fragance smells better when smelled from a distance, when smelled too close to the skin it's too sour and rather unpleasant. I think this is really nothing special and smells too much like a cleaning product...

Ciel Man: I couldn't really make sense of the opening, to me it was a bit weird and messy, but after a few minutes it started to get a little better and I'm kinda liking it now. I get a creamy note which I guess is the sandalwood, something mildy sweet and fruity which could be the peach and something peppery (nutmeg?). I also seem to get little whiffs of incense every now and then that appear to come out at random and are not detectable when I look for it. Strangely enough I hardly get any lavendar which is supposed to be a prominent note in this fragrance according to other reviews. Projection is pretty bad with this one, I have to really put my nose close to my skin to smell it. Besides that I think this is a pretty nice fragrance, however nothing groundbreaking and not purchase worthy for me...

Well, I have tested all my Amouage samples now (except the Opus series) and to be honest I expected much more from a prestigious fragrance house like Amouage. The ingredients are clearly of high quality but the end result was mostly dissapointing to me. I felt most of the fragrances lacked character/personality and came across as rather bland to me. Maybe my expectations were too high but I expected something really unique and groundbreaking, something very exclusive smelling, something I had never smelled before, but that was not really the case. However, I'm very glad I had the opportunity to smell these fragrances and finally put a face (smell) to their names. I will also definitely try all of these fragrances again because I think a lot of them will need more wearings to fully 'get' them. I'm afraid that I will never be friends with Reflection Man and Gold Men though...

If I had to put them in order from best to worst at this point I guess it would be:

1. Amouage Epic Man
    2. Amouage Memoir Man
    3. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    4. Amouage Lyric Man
    5. Amouage Honour Man
    6. Amouage Ciel Man
    7. Amouage Dia Man
    8. Amouage Silver Man
    9. Amouage Reflection Man
    10. Amouage Gold Man

Now, on to The Library Collection: Opus I - V...
    Last edited by Daze; 18th July 2012 at 08:21 PM.

Oh that's a nice picture! Gold Men is one of my favorites!

Daze thanks for your quick impressions. I was also considering getting samples but right now I think that you just saved me 50 euros. At that price point I'd also expect something ground breaking but it seems to me that Amouages are just nice with high quality materials. And nice is not enough when small bottle costs more than 150 euros.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I haven't tried that first Aedes scent in forever. I remember it being a fairly run-of-the-mill incense but now you've got me sifting through boxes trying to find my sample of it!
    Until I find the Holy Grail incense, AdV is the closest I've come. Duchaufour composed both (AdV and JXXV), roughly around the same time. I think he basically took JXXV, left out the curry spices, added a splash of coffee and called it a day. I find AdV a lot more 'concise' than JXXV, which is too dense for my taste (I hate curry spice notes in perfume)

Do give it another sniff. Tell us what you think.

My favorite Gold Man.... I think we can assume you don't like civet!
    cacio

Of those I've smelled, my favs are memoir man and JXXV. I want to sample interlude
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I think the scents from Amouage has exceptional high quality. Among the scents in my collection, I always get the best sillage and longevity from the scents from Amouage (except Dia). I can smell the scent on my skin the day after, even after a shower! I only need to use max 2 sprays, and I can`t say that about any of the other fragrance house in my collection (except Musc Ravageur ;-). I own several from this company. I like them a lot because IMO they reminds me of Arabian/Middle East sophistication and luxury. I will rank my Amouage collection like this:

1. Dia
    2. Honour
    3. Memoir
    4. Lyric
    5. Jub. XXV

-I actualy like Gold very much, But I have (yet) not the courage to wear it. Maby some day..;-) It`s probably the most rich, sophisticated and luxurious scent I have smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Daze thanks for your quick impressions. I was also considering getting samples but right now I think that you just saved me 50 euros. At that price point I'd also expect something ground breaking but it seems to me that Amouages are just nice with high quality materials. And nice is not enough when small bottle costs more than 150 euros.
    My thoughts exactly, however please don't let my opinion discourage you to try these fragrances. Obviously there are lots of people who love these fragrances and there's only one way to find out if you like them...

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    My favorite Gold Man.... I think we can assume you don't like civet!
    cacio
    Yes, I 'm afraid we can assume that...

Until I find the Holy Grail incense, AdV is the closest I've come. Duchaufour composed both (AdV and JXXV), roughly around the same time. I think he basically took JXXV, left out the curry spices, added a splash of coffee and called it a day. I find AdV a lot more 'concise' than JXXV, which is too dense for my taste (I hate curry spice notes in perfume)

Do give it another sniff. Tell us what you think.
    I concur, my favourite part of JubXXV is the topnotes, so I really liked AdV. Unfortunately, I found the longevity VERY weak.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Opus II: Starts off with a very subtle lavender and something woody/peppery. I don't get as much lavender as other people seem to, just very slightly. After a while it gets a bit sweeter and slightly floral, it smells better from a distance, when I put my nose too close to my skin the scent becomes a little musty/dusty. Somehow this reminds me a bit of CDG Kyoto, but more woody and less 'fruity'. Projection is not too good on this one. I think it smells OK but really nothing special at all...

Opus IV: Very, very spicy and sweet opening. To be honest I don't know exactly what spices I'm smelling, the note list mentions caraway, coriander and cumin, but it's really strong and pungent and a little off-putting. The sweetness is a warm, almost syrupy and fruity sweetness that reminds me of the fruit notes in Jubilation XXV. Luckily the spiciness tones down after a while and the scent becomes a bit more balanced and easier to the nose. Don't really know what to think of this one though, it constantly changes from nice to annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I concur, my favourite part of JubXXV is the topnotes, so I really liked AdV. Unfortunately, I found the longevity VERY weak.
    Really? Hmm, I find the longevity fairly 'average' myself (though it is NOT a projection monster, and thank goodness). I'm wearing it today in fact. It does seem to fade to a 'skin scent' after about 3 hours, but I can still smell it on myself after 6 hours, which by my reckoning, is pretty respectable. Plus the drydown is still good and recognizable--it doesn't go skeletal.

By contrast, JXXV seemed to have better projection (louder) and longevity, but on my skin, became kind of funky and sour by the end of the day. AdV never goes sour or funky on me.

Opus I: White floral overdose! Starts off very 'feminine', I get very strong, sweet and powdery white flowers and not much more. It does get a little softer and less harsh later on. I also get a similar lipstick/makeup smell I get in Dior Homme, which I think is strange cause there's no Iris in this one. Interesting, but not for me...

Opus III: This one is pretty weird. Don't know exactly what I'm smelling, it smells really strange and comforting at the same time. It also reminds me of something from my youth, but I can't remember what. There's also a kind of rubbery/plasticy/tarry note in it that I think is strangely addictive. Somehow this reminds me of CDG Tar and CDG Tea, at least it gives off a similar 'vibe' to me. It gets more sweet and powdery after a while...

The longer I'm wearing these two, the more I'm seeing similarities between them. In Opus I I'm starting to get a little bit of the rubbery/plasticy/tarry note from Opus III and in Opus III I get a little bit of the makeup smell from Opus I...
    Last edited by Daze; 20th July 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Opus III to my nose, is primarily a sweetish violet, with some added semi-fruity notes like ylang ylang. It makes sense that it smells familiar because violets are much used even outside perfumery (Chowder mints) but often unacknowledged. Opus III is my favorite among the Opuses I have smelled, but still, not bottle worthy. Opus I is the least favorite, a bright white floral thing that doesn't have much reason to be in the Amouage range (but then, as you know, the reference Amouage for me is Gold man).

cacio

Don't overlook Opus IV. If you're into incense-centered fragrances, Opus IV delivers what he promises: an humongous oriental incense. It may need a few wearings to be fully appreciated though...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Last one:

Opus V: I smell lots of iris, of which I'm not really a fan, and oud. I don't smell the rum note to be honest or maybe it's overpowered by the heavy iris note. I don't really like to put gender labels on fragrances but this one comes off as really feminine to me. It's sweet and powdery and the iris note gives it the same kind of lipstick/make up vibe that I get from Dior Homme, a fragrance that's also not a favorite of mine. The oud note disappears pretty quick on me and in the drydown it gets more woody and very dry and I also detect a slight hint of civet which I don't like either. Not a success...

End score:

1. Opus III
    2. Opus IV
    3. Opus II
    4. Opus I
    5. Opus V
    Last edited by Daze; 24th July 2012 at 09:24 AM.

It seems that Amouage is NOT the company for you.. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Waiting on your thoughts on Honour and Reflection. I find these two addicting
    I agree with Honour. But it might take a longer time to get to it. I have a sample for about a year, and although I always considered it to be of really high quality, yet it happened just about two weeks ago, that it 'clicked' in me the feeling how really great it actually is. I'm afraid it's near to becoming a signature scent. Afraid - because of the family-related costs waiting for me If you know what I mean, given the hefty price-tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I agree with Honour. But it might take a longer time to get to it. I have a sample for about a year, and although I always considered it to be of really high quality, yet it happened just about two weeks ago, that it 'clicked' in me the feeling how really great it actually is. I'm afraid it's near to becoming a signature scent. Afraid - because of the family-related costs waiting for me If you know what I mean, given the hefty price-tag...
    +1. Honour has become one of my favorits from Amouage. IMO it`s a much more versatile "Epic Light", though the sillage and longevity is not light, but excellent. I think it`s quite underrated, and it deserves more attention than it gets.

Sounds like you just saved yourself a boatload of cash! I own jubilation and Reflection. I definitely had a similar experience in terms of JXXV's fruit accord, I didn't like it at first, but now on chilly winter / fall days I find myself craving it. I love the dry down, ad I think my brain knows that the overly sweet fruit is leading to good things! I bought Reflection for a wedding on the beach in Mexico, with some of the most beautiful young women I've ever met, it just seemed perfect for the occasion. every time I wear it, I enjoy it more. People definitely have differing reactions to that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I almost dislike all Amouages at first, and then with much time and many wearings I grow to highly revere them. They're certainly not "easy" compositions that can really be instantly appreciated upon first wearing but the payoff is very much worth it if you give them time. Amouage is pure quality. Savor going through all those samples!
    Well Said - Its not a house, you can just sample and throw off within a day and move on, it just creeps on to you and hold you right down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It seems that Amouage is NOT the company for you.. ;-)
    LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

+1. Honour has become one of my favorits from Amouage. IMO it`s a much more versatile "Epic Light", though the sillage and longevity is not light, but excellent. I think it`s quite underrated, and it deserves more attention than it gets.
    Yes, me,myself and i - we pulled the trigger on honor last week, got to love it.

My favorits are:

Fate
    Dia
    Memoir
    Silver
    Honour

I find it interesting how Gold Man is so divisive. It's my favourite from Amouage but for a lot of people it's their worst.

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    I find it interesting how Gold Man is so divisive. It's my favourite from Amouage but for a lot of people it's their worst.
    It's nice but not very versatile..

Just got Jubilation XXV last week and the first time I wore it I wondered why it got all the fuss. But I trudged on with now two more wearing's and now I am really hooked. I suppose I just wasn't fine tuned in at first and really didn't know what to expect, But I knew it was a Duchafour's offering and perhaps I have willed myself to like it. It is a busy fragrance but for me lasts and last with three spritzes.

Found this older thread really interesting as I recently treated myself to the official Amouage sample set (comes in a lovely box) and have sampled them all a couple of times now - all new to me except for Lyric & Jub which I've samped before. I won't go into a long diatribe just now but I agree with the need to give anything a few tries.

My own favourites so far have been Jub, Epic, Dia, Honour and Interlude. After a first blast of Interlude I thought 'No way, far too strong' but after a full wear I really liked it lot and so did my partner...any boy, does it last!! I thought Epic was nice but not exceptional on a first wear but I have it on again now (third wear) and I really love it. Dia is really beautiful but it IS very delicate and easily lost - you have to seek it out.

Have to say that my least favourites (so far) are Memoir (I think I'm really not fond of wormwood/artmesia) and Gold (glorious opening but very stinky ending - guess I'm not a fan of civet either). Who knows though - my opinion of even these may change yet!

I own Gold, Reflection and Dia but I don't find Gold to be very versatile though I love it.

i had a similar experience to the OP, as i purchased a bundle of amouage samples. the only 3 i liked were epic, jxxv and memoir. epic and jubilation are a bit "strong", but i absolutely love memoir. the longevity for all their fragrances is excellent.

I encourage you to try them all again, one at a time, and then again. My first impression of these was ick and now I am deeply in love. They take growing into.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll attempt to get some guidance in here.

What Amouage fragrances do you think I should try based on my tastes? I enjoy dry, woody, smoky scents (Tam Dao, 2 Man, Hinoki, Sequoia, Oud Wood, Avignon). I prefer to avoid sweetness. I've tried Jubilation XXV, and while I quite enjoyed it, I found the fruit notes to be a bit too sweet.
    I'm not averse to medicinal scents such as SMN's Patchouli and Pot Pourri and Montale's Dark Oud. I prefer to avoid powdery scents, but don't mind dustiness, if that makes sense.
    Not big on animalics. I find Leather Oud to be a little more than I'm normally comfortable with, although do enjoy Songe d'un Bois d'Eté.
    At the moment I'm thinking Epic Man is probably the front runner for me to sample.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Darjeeling: I'd recommend looking into Interlude (fits the dry, woody, smoky, dusty part) but does eventually veer a little sweet in the dry down. As for the OP, I wonder if he ever got around to Interlude in order to compare it to the rest (I've only tried XXV, Gold, and Silver). Like IainCD said, Interlude is pretty nuclear though, and lasts forever.
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Dia man is a fragrance that grew on me. The first few times I sampled Dia it reminded me of air freshener I've smelled in the bathrooms of commercial establishments. This ruined it for me. I gave the sample away. But the friend I gave it to thought is was special. So eventually I bought a new sample. Now I like it. Problem is, the most I've ever spent for a fragrance is $100 (Creed travel size). I can't see spending Amouage prices, so I should not be testing it in the first place. Not to mention that I also have six other Amouage samples that I should not have bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, I'll attempt to get some guidance in here.

What Amouage fragrances do you think I should try based on my tastes? I enjoy dry, woody, smoky scents (Tam Dao, 2 Man, Hinoki, Sequoia, Oud Wood, Avignon). I prefer to avoid sweetness. I've tried Jubilation XXV, and while I quite enjoyed it, I found the fruit notes to be a bit too sweet.
    I'm not averse to medicinal scents such as SMN's Patchouli and Pot Pourri and Montale's Dark Oud. I prefer to avoid powdery scents, but don't mind dustiness, if that makes sense.
    Not big on animalics. I find Leather Oud to be a little more than I'm normally comfortable with, although do enjoy Songe d'un Bois d'Eté.
    At the moment I'm thinking Epic Man is probably the front runner for me to sample.

Thanks!
    I think you will like Honour and Memoir.

I think you will like Honour and Memoir.
    Honour is on my list. What does it closely resemble and can it be a work day scent?