Code of Conduct

Default A*men Vs Cuba Prestige : Alternative to higher price fragrance

I wanted to let my fellow basenoter's know and be aware that there are really good alternatives to the higher price department fragrance line. Cuba Prestige is one of them. Note: I am not a big fan of Angel men but I did receive a sample when I bought my last fragrance at sephora and after testing it out Cuba prestige smells exactley like Angel men I mean verbratum and Prestige has the same longevity and projection as angel man. Angel man cost to or up too the 100's you can buy Cuba Prestige for like 10 bucks at most discount retailers. So if you like Angel man and don't want to pay the hefty price tag reach for Cuba Prestige for it is a safe alternative to Angel.

Default Re: A*men Vs Cuba Prestige : Alternative to higher price fragrance

Don't think I've smelled the one you're talking about but I've smelled a few of these Cuba frags and IMO they do not compare at all to their counterparts. Truly horrendous stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Don't think I've smelled the one you're talking about but, I've smelled a few of these Cuba frags, and IMO they do not compare at all to their counterparts. Truly horrendous stuff.
    Totally agree with you but I think prestige is an exception to the rule. I was trully schocked to be honest with you. I have smelled other cuba line and was not a fan but this one took me by surprise after sniffing this one and A*men and seeing how close they were.

No, I've smelled red and gold and probably a few others...that was enough for me lol. Is the prestige packaged in a cigar bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    No, I've smelled red and gold and probably a few others...that was enough for me lol. Is the prestige packaged in a cigar bottle?
    yea but not a single cigar. It looks like three cigars joined together with a frosted looking bottle. I'm hoping other basenoters will not be embarressed to say they have tried this and comment lol

I own Prestige. It is close to A*Men but not exact. Some similarities and a great alternative if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Actually got Cuba Prestige for $7.99 @ TJ Maxx.

That being said... A*Men is still superior.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I'll stick with the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    yea but not a single cigar. It looks like three cigars joined together with a frosted looking bottle. I'm hoping other basenoters will not be embarressed to say they have tried this and comment lol
    Had to look that bottle up. Easily beats the single cigar ones.

Only have tried Gold which I didn't like, reluctant to try another Cuba.

As a fan of Thierry Muglar's work I have to say when I bought this I was hoping the hype was real...it is. It smells so close to A*Men as it can get without getting sued. Very nice opening and very nice ending. Don't be scared to buy it, for 7.99 it's worth it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liambambiggy View Post
    As a fan of Thierry Muglar's work I have to say when I bought this I was hoping the hype was real...it is. It smells so close to A*Men as it can get without getting sued. Very nice opening and very nice ending. Don't be scared to buy it, for 7.99 it's worth it!!
    I say Animale Animale is the closest scent to Amen as you can get

Quote Originally Posted by Darealvelle View Post
    I say Animale Animale is the closest scent to Amen as you can get

I get more of a Pure Malt vibe from Animale Animale myself....either way, awesome cheapie!
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
    -Hebrews 11:1
    Currently wearing: Joop! Splash by Joop!

A*Men without the tar is like the Mona Lisa with tape over her mouth !

Basenotes Plus

I dont agree. I dont think they smell alike. I also dont think Cuba makes good frags (based on the 7 or so I have smelled and owned) and when they do make something that smells similar to another frag I think they fall short in terms of quality. Just my opinion. And if someone is paying ANYTHING over $50 for a 100ml bottle of A*men they need a lesson in how to shop around. Hell, I got my Gold metal limited edition flask for $35 shipped.
    Last edited by Tmoran; 24th October 2014 at 01:15 PM.

I can't tell the difference to be honest, neither can probably 99% of the general population - if you can easily afford the "good stuff" go for it - especially if it will make you feel better, but for those who can't easily afford the "real things" some of the imitators of them such as some Cubas and Michael Jordan Legend in particular for New Haarlem, are a godsend. As to the original post, yes, Prestige is a VERY VERY close imitation of A*Men and thus a quite viable low cost alternative.

I own this and I think it is pretty good ... especially since it is rock bottom cheap.

It reminds me not much of "cigars" but rather leather, wood, nutmeg, vanilla, and pipe tobacco.