Code of Conduct

Question La myrrhe, serge lutens , your opinion about this fragance.is it a must have or not..?

I read different opinions and reviews covering this issue.
    Some pros.Some cons.
    I tried once, sampled it at Palais Royal but I had the smell of many other fragances in my nose and could not distinguish La Myrrhe
    as it should really be.
    Please, give me your opinion if La Myrrhe is a must buy.
    tks
    al

Default Re: La myrrhe, serge lutens , your opinion about this fragance.is it a must have or not..?

Only you can decide if it's a must buy. IMO it's a very nice fragrance.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: La myrrhe, serge lutens , your opinion about this fragance.is it a must have or not..?

+1 for what Hednic said. I think it would be a good idea to re test La Myrrhe .It's very confusing when you are testing multiple perfumes , I understand .

IHMO ,La Myrrhe is a beautiful long lasting scent - that has aldehydes on top , shiny , a smooth scent with some almond and orange in the beginning .Reminds me of a deeper ,better Chanel No .5 EDP and then something along the parallel lines of YSL Opium extrait in the dry down .
    Although I love the top notes and middle of La Myrrhe , I do find the dry down challenging ( something sickly sweet happening on my skin ) but that's just me. In all ,La Myrrhe is a fantastic scent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorites. The bitter and sweet resinous smell of myrrh, accompanied on the top by a big blast of aldehydes. Extremely powerful. Beware though, you need to like sweet fragrances, because the drydown is a little sweetish. But if you do, a definite yes.

cacio

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got a full bell jar, so I guess it has to be "yes" for me...Caution: this is a VERY polarizing fragrance

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I am definitely in the minority, but it was the least liked of the Serge Lutens scents I have tried to date. The sweetness and the aldehydes were just too much for me.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of aldehydes, too much for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much for me too.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I love it, but I don't reach for it very often. It is a bit of a challenge to wear sometimes.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

See...polarizing

One of the best of the Lutens, imo. Similar to Chanel No. 5 with all the aldehydes, but much, much better. I hope they add it to the export line at some point.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Post Thanks / Like

The aldehydes die a very quick death on my skin, and the rest is sublime. As soon as my samples are gone I will be looking for a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a must buy but it's surely worth ordering a decant to test it thoroughly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope this helps:

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens - Initially, one is treated to a rather bizarre opening. A mandarin aldehyde, wherein the sweetness of mandarin is despoiled by a harsh, fizzy aura, interplays with a sharply astringent myrrh. This off-kilter blend percolates a bit and transition to the awaiting heart. Here, in the transformational middle, a sweetish jasmine, a nutty almond, and a delightsome honey intermingle with the paradoxical opening and yield a delightful, root beer-ish myrrh. A sambuca-like, licorice fennel duets with the metamorphosed myrrh, and segues to the waiting base. A vivacious pepper faintly flashes here and there. And, a sweet vanillic amber commingles with the creamy smoothness of sandalwood and the perfumy soapiness of musk, providing a cloud upon which a more earthy, sweetly woody and resinous myrrh is carried to an alluring drydown. This beguiling composition is a skin scent, with very good longevity.

can live without it……BUT would love to own it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL @ Alfarom. Good one & congrats on the bell jar!

If you enjoy aldehydic scents, then La Myrrhe is a 'must try'. I find it's fantastic - like a Chanel No.5 for Men!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Adore La Myrrhe! Don't own but a wee sample but I do love it.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Post Thanks / Like

Love it and have a bottle myself. It's only a must-have if you must have it, though.

Post Thanks / Like

If you enjoy aldehydic scents, then La Myrrhe is a 'must try'. I find it's fantastic - like a Chanel No.5 for Men![/QUOTE]

Hmmm did not make the must have"" Lutens on my original list - I had previously bought 16 lutens and still it did not make the radar! Must go back and resniff Lutens No5 for men!

Post Thanks / Like

I love it, cannot wait for it to arrive in the export range this year. I do have a decant. Now it is a shock in the opening, you just do not expect the aldehydes!!!! It does settle into a myrrh fragrance, I love myrrh and opoponax fragrances.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

I love it, but it's a bit polarizing.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a brilliant scent. Sometimes I find it a bit too sweet and musky in the drydown, but the topnotes are fantastic. To me, those opening aldehydes are not anywhere near as offputting as those found in something like Vol de Nuit or Bandit - they feel more natural, with fresh, spicy oriental nuances. As it says on the SL site, it is the freshness of the night!

And I did enjoy going out walking in the dark (and the rain) last winter while wearing this and thinking of this song.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it. Borne in the peak era of Serge Lutens.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

@Mimi...thanks! I wore vintage no. 5 EDP to bed last night & it reminded me of La Myrrhe, thought I was loopy. Searched it & here you commented on the similarity just the other day. XOXOX

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bookhouseshell View Post
    @Mimi...thanks! I wore vintage no. 5 EDP to bed last night & it reminded me of La Myrrhe, thought I was loopy. Searched it & here you commented on the similarity just the other day. XOXOX
    Oh that's great Bookhouseshell !
    I'm glad we both see the similarity .

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    The aldehydes die a very quick death on my skin, and the rest is sublime.
    This is how it is on my skin too.

Love it!
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what outlets I can purchase La Myrrhe through online in the U.S.? I've been searching however, I haven't come up with any places that sell this particular Exclusive in the United States...Please help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Does anyone know what outlets I can purchase La Myrrhe through online in the U.S.? I've been searching however, I haven't come up with any places that sell this particular Exclusive in the United States...Please help!
    As far as I know, no place in the US sells the bell jars. It's pretty much importing at your own risk or getting decants.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aldo milani View Post
    I read different opinions and reviews covering this issue.
    Some pros.Some cons.
    I tried once, sampled it at Palais Royal but I had the smell of many other fragances in my nose and could not distinguish La Myrrhe
    as it should really be.
    Please, give me your opinion if La Myrrhe is a must buy.
    tks
    al

I love this fragrance, but to my nose, it is almost the definition of "difficult" perfume. Some days it's majestic - all brilliant fizzy orientalism, like watching a sunset on mars. Some days I just get soap, and something bitter.

I love it, respect it, but only occasionally enjoy it, so I find a small decant lasts me well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Barneys apparently.

http://thewindow.barneys.com/barneys...loche-bottles/
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    This is EXCELLENT news.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

the best aldehydic scent to me!!..its a must have for me!, i would now swap my chanel no 22 for the bottle of this one!

what i dont like in no 22 i have here- aldehyds come from natural stuff: resinous myhrre, its sweet just enough to be sensual but not overpowering, and not that powdery from iris , and what i miss in no 5 i have here, thats the richness, and sweetness!

i thank Cacio for showing me 2 best Serge Lutens scents there are! This one and Sarrasins, i am overexcited! they are beyond my expectations .

Post Thanks / Like

iivanita, coincidentally I wore it yesterday as my SotD.

What a great perfume. So complex yet elegant in execution.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I was so sad when it did not get released into the export range this year.

We got the travel set of either Ambre Sultan or Feminite du Bois
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I was so sad when it did not get released into the export range this year.

We got the travel set of either Ambre Sultan or Feminite du Bois
    ???????????????????????

what! have they announced with one is released this year?
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be picking up a jar of La Myrrhe in Paris in December - it's been on my wish list for a while. The first review I wrote on it, I couldn't figure the fragrance out at all, I revisited it a few months back where I fell in love with it after I broke it down much more.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I'll be picking up a jar of La Myrrhe in Paris in December.
    How I envy you. But do let us know if it is safe from the much-dreaded 'reformulation'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    How I envy you. But do let us know if it is safe from the much-dreaded 'reformulation'.

Will do - I'll take my samples with me to compare :P I hope none of the others I want have gone through the change D:

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Will do - I'll take my samples with me to compare :P I hope none of the others I want have gone through the change D:
    Are you planning to do a side-by-side test inside the Palais Royal boutique? I'd love to see the Lutens's infamous zombie SAs' faces!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting....the people who like this fragrance LOVE it!
    I have to get my hands on this, but how...
    Perhaps I really have to make a trip to Paris.
    * Current Favourites *
    Amouage: Lyric Man & Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma
    Serge Lutens: Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Are you planning to do a side-by-side test inside the Palais Royal boutique? I'd love to see the Lutens's infamous zombie SAs' faces!
    LOL! No not a chance, I'll be terrified enough in there as it is. I'll be sure to have a smidge on my hand when I enter, as if it's the same, it'll be my first choice. ISM the next - and if I can afford it may pick up another whilst I'm there, we'll see :P

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

omg...this creamy and sweet drydown is like perfect sandalwood scent to me. i so much want to try real sandalwood to compare it...but now i know why i like it so much becasue i love sandalwood....
    the opening is aldehydic but not in a way Chanel 22 is, i like it to compare to Chanel 22 rather then no5, becasue its more sweet....but this aldehydic opening doesnt last too long on me , only 30 mins or so..then it goes into beautiful bitter sweet harmony, and all smells very natural, dense and not loud like chanel 22 and then this sandalwood drydown goes on for ever its very feminine scent and i think one of the best from SL, very wearable and longlasting...

this one should be characterized more as sandalwood then aldehyidic scent...becasue to my nose thats the most prominent note most of the time

perfect, but i can understand why men maybe can not appreciate it enough

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 5ml from overseas at a decent price (under $40.) I did not like it at all, I love Cergui and Filles and even some myrrhe fragrances (Slumberhouse Rume.) This one is just way too much for me, too many aldehydes, too much myrrhe and too feminine. I'm very glad to have tested this first, I will not even be giving this one a second wear.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    See...polarizing

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought this one was awful. Thirty minutes and I was scrubbing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sniffed it again today, from the bottle thankfully...It actually smells just like the color, a urinal cake (obviously without the urine.) Not sure if anyone else experienced that as well, I just can't get over it. So glad I didn't invest more than I already did. Wish I could throw it on eBay but they don't allow you to sell decanted juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I thought this one was awful. Thirty minutes and I was scrubbing.

Got a 10-15 ML decant a few months ago...pass. The same things go for Iris Silver Mist overwhelming/sharp scents. Both smells similar to old ladies perfume, stinky/can't breathe perfume.

I would recommend getting a sample and trying it.

I am one of the people who like this fragrance but don't love it. The aldehydes are beautiful, but the dry-down is so-so on me. It is sweeter than I expected it to be, and it is also a very calm scent. The beginning, because of the aldehydes, seems similar to Chanel 5, but in La Myrrhe, that very specific myrrh note colors everything in dark-golden nuances. It has a vaguely soapy, sweet dry-down on me. I agree it is a smooth scent.

If you are interested in myrrh, check also Guerlain Myrhhe et Delires while you are sampling. It is more vibrant to my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

If interested, I have a 5ml decant...it's collecting dust in a cool dry place

Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    I would recommend getting a sample and trying it.

I am one of the people who like this fragrance but don't love it. The aldehydes are beautiful, but the dry-down is so-so on me. It is sweeter than I expected it to be, and it is also a very calm scent. The beginning, because of the aldehydes, seems similar to Chanel 5, but in La Myrrhe, that very specific myrrh note colors everything in dark-golden nuances. It has a vaguely soapy, sweet dry-down on me. I agree it is a smooth scent.

If you are interested in myrrh, check also Guerlain Myrhhe et Delires while you are sampling. It is more vibrant to my nose.