Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Identifying note in Bvlgari pour Homme

A friend gave me his bottle of Bvlgari pour Homme, and it is a scent I just cannot handle. I absolutely hate it, had to scrub my hand for 10 minutes just to get it off. HOWEVER, I thought I would use this as a learning experience, and was wondering if someone knows what note it is that gives it that sort of smoky vibe?

Is it the pepper? The tea?

I have a feeling it's the pepper I can't stand, but I don't have a particularly trained nose. I enjoy almost all other Bvlgari fragrances that I've tried and as far as I know most of them have a tea note.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Identifying note in Bvlgari pour Homme

One of the most synthetic teas out there. Try Tea for Two for a really nice teacent, tea scent ;')

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar problem with Bulgari Pour Homme. There's a note in it that I cannot abide, and I think it's the musk-type ingredient. I think it might be Ambrox or Ambroxan, but I haven't yet been able to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought Bvlgari PH was so tame and mild and subtle, that it would be impossible for anyone to find something nasty in it.
    Regards,
    Renato

^ agreed.

On a sidenote, instead of scrubbing for 10 minutes you could have just waited out the 15 minutes that the scent lasts for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    ^ agreed.

On a sidenote, instead of scrubbing for 10 minutes you could have just waited out the 15 minutes that the scent lasts for.
    Oh SNAP :P

I either have some weird ass skin or my nose is just too sensitive because even after some intense scrubbing I could smell it for hours. And to me there's just some note in it that is wildly unpleasant. I honestly can't for the life of me understand why anyone would like it.

^ Lol it's probably my skin that's the problem, nothing holds on me. I sampled PH and got bad longevity, ended up going for PH Extreme which actually does last. My guess is the note you're having a problem with is some form of cheap musk.

Btw welcome to Basenotes!!!

Im shocked anyone can hate this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The long-lasting smoky note may be guaiac wood (sometimes spelled gaiac). It's very persistent. Some people can smell it easily, others have a very hard time sniffing it at all.

Even though it's a common base note, it typically projects well from the very beginning. I happen to like it, but I do understand that it can seem either boring or bothersome.

If you want to make certain, try Tokyo by Kenzo. That is a light scent with a stronger and clearer guaiac wood note than almost anything on the market. The drydown is almost pure guaiac to my nose. The Armani Codes also have guaiac in the base, though it's covered up with a lot of sweet, powdery stuff.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

You're probably hypersensitive to certain notes. Yes, Bulgari pour Homme may be subtle but believe you me (or ask the people around you), this stuff has legs and projects when you least expects it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've always thought Bvlgari PH was so tame and mild and subtle, that it would be impossible for anyone to find something nasty in it.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I have a friend who wears it, and at least on him, it's anything but tame, mild, or subtle. I can smell him at 10 yards, have spent entire days with him with the stuff still going strong into the evening, and because we greet each other with the normal hug-kiss-to-the-cheek, I can always still smell it on myself hours after I go home. He's lucky he's such a good friend because I find the stuff appalling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    ^ Lol it's probably my skin that's the problem, nothing holds on me. I sampled PH and got bad longevity, ended up going for PH Extreme which actually does last. My guess is the note you're having a problem with is some form of cheap musk.

Btw welcome to Basenotes!!!
    Thank you!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it's the tea.

It's a really nasty synthetic musk, IMO, and with musks, some people don't even seem to perceive them let alone have issues with them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Candide; 18th July 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    If I was a woman I wouldn't be so eager to expect a man's fragrance - that even has "pour Homme" in its name - to work like a miracle on my skin.

It's like opening a thread in the Female Discussion and start complaining about how bad Tommy Girl feels on male skin, isn't it?
    Nope, it isn't at all. Because (as has been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads) smells aren't objectively male or female. And whether or not we agree with that, I would seriously question whether there's some material difference between "male skin" and "female skin" that perfumers take into account when creating perfumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Nope, it isn't at all. Because (as has been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads) smells aren't objectively male or female. And whether or not we agree with that, I would seriously question whether there's some material difference between "male skin" and "female skin" that perfumers take into account when creating perfumes.
    ^ This. And it's not even just on me. I've smelled it on guy friends, I've smelled it on paper - same smoky note that I just can't stand.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Candide; 18th July 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Yeah, gender-debates nowadays are fruitless, and not only in real life.
    Not to mention somewhat irrelevant considering the topic at hand.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Candide; 18th July 2012 at 10:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, lets get back on track please, I think it's the musk too. I took a tour of my local perfume counter today and several other musk scents I had similar issues with. It's probably a combination of too smoky tea and musk in Bvlgari pour Homme that makes me so anti, though.

Thanks for helping out, those of you who did!

Post Thanks / Like

Off the top there is a pronounced peppery note that really swings. If you are getting turned off in the topnotes then I think this may be it. However if what you dislike appears further on then I think it is the cheap musk in the drydown..its kinda sour.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT]