Code of Conduct

Thread: Man Candles!

Default Man Candles!

Perfumed candles are just for girls, right? And men who burn candles are sissies, right? LOL!

Here are some new "Man Candles" with appropriate manly themes:

Riding Mower: "Hot sun. Cool breeze. And the intensely summery scent of freshly cut grass."
    http://www.yankeecandle.com/detail/riding-mower/1239215

First Down: (football theme) Game on! This combination of orange, patchouli, vetiver and leather is as exciting as game day. (I like the notes in this one!)
    http://www.yankeecandle.com/detail/first-down/1234559

2 X 4 : The warm, unmistakable scent of freshly planed wood and sawdust evokes a sense of confidence and quality. (I hope this has the scent of cedar.)
    http://www.yankeecandle.com/detail/2-x-4/1239214

Man Town: Escape to the man cave with this masculine blend of spices, woods and musk.
    http://www.yankeecandle.com/detail/man-town/1237174

Actually, I think the Cire Trudon Ernesto candle is a manly candle:

Top: rum, grapefruit, bergamot
    Middle: clove, oak wood, patchouli, labdanum
    Base: tobacco harmony, moss, leather, amber

http://www.beautyhabit.com/product10110.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 17th July 2012 at 04:24 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Man Candles!

Food for thought. Are these mancandles? I would assume they'd be of interest.
    http://etatlibredorange.com/boutique...ENTRECUISSE.41
    http://etatlibredorange.com/boutique.../MESSE-ROSE.40

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Food for thought. Are these mancandles? I would assume they'd be of interest.
    http://etatlibredorange.com/boutique...ENTRECUISSE.41
    http://etatlibredorange.com/boutique.../MESSE-ROSE.40

cacio
    Cacio! Great post. These are only for the truly manly!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I stopped by my local yankee candle today to check these out, especially the First Down one as I have a bit of an obsession with leather. My impressions were not great .

The Man Town candle was like a generic cologne, the 2X4 was just offensive to me, just bluh, and the First Down did have leather, but it was faint for my taste. They didn't have the Riding Mower, but given the way my allergies act up when I mow, I don't see that one going over well for me.

If you are looking for some more "masculine" candles, I find that Bed Bath and Beyond has some pretty decent ones. The Maison line has several, including Grove, Amber, and Blossom (orange blossom and sandalwood). They also have a sandalwood and oak in the Colonial Candle line, and one called Desert Sun in the same line that my SO seems to think smells like one of my frags.

As a heads up, the Desert Sun fragrance is marked down or possibly being discontinued the 22oz is $15 right now, and the smaller ones are on sale as well. Also, the Maison Blossom fragrance is being discontinued, and the entire line of products from candles to scented oil was marked down at my local Bed Bath & Beyond. YMMV, hope you find the new Yankee Candle scents more to your liking than I did.

So, now sexism has reached air fresheners ('cos let's face it, that's all sented candles are). I think that is quite sad. Wouldn't it be nice if we could enjoy what we like without having to worry if it is manly enough? It takes a great deal of courage to stand up and say "This is me, and if you don't like it; tough!!". Wear what you like, burn what you like; smell how you like, and don't fall prey to marketing BS.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 27th August 2012 at 08:49 AM.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could enjoy what we like without having to worry if it is manly enough? It takes a great deal of courage to stand up and say "This is me, and if you don't like it; tough!!".
    That's exactly what I do. I love frags that are traditionally thought of as masculine. Many of the other home frags are really sweet, or too floral for my taste. I regularly get comments from many who come to my home that it "smells like my dad/grandpa" in here usually accompanied by a diatribe of how weird that is for a house. I don't care and I don't listen to them. It gets frustrating for me, as I have a cupboard of home scents from well meaning people that are floral or really sweet. So, I suppose you could say I was "buying in to marketing" but, if that's what I like then I'm doing exactly what all these posts I've seen here on BN say to do. Thanks for your input though, really appreciated.

I'll use any candle that will remove a bad odor from a room.

"woodwick evening bonfire" fits this bill.

And to think, this whole time I thought candles were unisex!

All smell is unisex; fragrance doesn't have a gender.

i keep on replying in different discussions about Japanese incense - but when i'm going for the sophisticated swanky bachelor pad feel when i have people over, i'll burn a few Japanese incense. i used to work in an interior design firm, and we always made sure our downtown high-rise bachelor type clients had a box of Shoyeido "Great Origin" or "White Cloud" incense to burn.

i find any of the attempts to make "masculine" smelling candles just come off as smelling like the cheap "mall variety" colognes that a lot of us frown upon on basenotes. even the mid-range priced stuff like Voluspa, tends to smell too "cheap cologney" smelling. Diptyque and CDG are the only candle brands i've smelled so far that i'd actually purchase, but those are stupid expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    And to think, this whole time I thought candles were unisex!
    LOL! Didn't you know there are men's candles and women's candles?

Actually, I like the Cire Trudon line and Byredo.

And, yes, scents (including personal fragance and candles) are unisex. It's the marketing, sometimes hilarious, that genderfies fragrance.

Malin & Goetz make hella nice candles, but they expensive and I can't seem to find them anywhere but Barneys and every once in a blue moon on ebay.

Smelled the man candles today. Very nice!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Malin & Goetz make hella nice candles, but they expensive and I can't seem to find them anywhere but Barneys and every once in a blue moon on ebay.

try groominglounge.com for the malin &goetz candles
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

I didn't realise By Kilian made candles. I was put Xmas shopping and there they were - one for each scent. Just sniffed a few "MANLY" samples on the counter, not burning, and Back to Black, Straight to Heaven & Taste of Heaven seemed great. The SA says he uses the Straight to Heaven candle cos he also wears the Fragrance and it works great. Just under USD 100 each.

I've been burning Amouage Silk Road this last week - can a road be manly? Also the Diptyque Xmas Edition 'spiced pine' one in the green glass - manly in a coniferous kinda way, I guess. I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay

Malles Cafe Society is also great for this time of year but with a name like that it would have to be more metrosexual, really, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    So, now sexism has reached air fresheners ('cos let's face it, that's all sented candles are). I think that is quite sad.
    That's funny. Actually I was kind of thinking the same thing when I saw the title "man candles." I'm a scent guy. I love a lot of different scents from the smell of garbage to the most delicious niche fragrance imaginable. I just love to smell things. I think if God took away my sense of smell today I would be way more lost and saddened than if I lost one of my other senses.

Having said that, I comfortable and confident enough in my manhood that I will use any darn scent in my house that I want to whether other people think it is feminine or not!!!

Interesting posts though.

Guys, Many people rely on candles during power failures. We use them to give our houses a nice fragrance, celebrate life, and represent our faith. Probably it is something deep rooted in our being that make man candles so important to us.
    Find your favourite fragrance from "harveyprince" without a second thought!

I love the oud by acqua di parma candle. very masculine.

Archipelago Havana candles