Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Millesime Imperial =????

Chez Bond is the equivalent to GIT... so what the equivalent to MI?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Millesime Imperial =????

Sean John Unforgivable shares a similar vibe. Also Love & Luck (on it's way to me as we speak) is supposed to be similar. My wife sometimes wears DKNY Gold which I think smells a lot like MI.

Bois 1920 Ultramare is quite close to Millesime Imperial but it never hits its highs and feels a little 'muddy' and doesn't have the clarity of the Creed either.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sean John's Unforgivable and Ed Hardy's Love and Luck are similar. They are both good fragrances in their own right, so don't dismiss them simply because the celebrity name is marketed toward a younger audience.

I tried both to compare. 1 on my left wrist. The other on my right wrist.

Unforgivable is a bit darker, mysterious, a little seductive-like, and a little heavier. MI had a lightness about it. To me, Unforgivable isn't a clone of MI, but it is somewhat similar (maybe 60% similar).

Love and Luck copies MI much better. The first 5 minutes, it is a blast of citrus, but eventually it calms down and smells a lot like MI (probably 75% similar). It's also less expensive than Unforgivable.

Overall, not just compared to MI, but in general, Love and Luck is a little better in my opinion.

Unf and L&L lack in the longevity department, but MI kind of does as well.

I can see the relation to Unforgivable and L&L but for me there is no worthy substitute for MI.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, none of them match MI completely, but those 2 come kind of close. But from a few feet away, most people (who aren't frag junkies like us) won't be able to tell that much of a difference.

Search is your friend. I know this topic has been addressed in several threads in the past six months, once because I asked it.

After extensive testing, I can say, quite assuredly, that there is simply no fragrance that approaches MI at its best. I've tried about twenty fragrances recommended as being close to MI, and none was, with one exception.

The closest is Sean John Unforgivable Multi Platinum (NOT the original unforgivable), which is, at least to my nose, about 75% similar to MI. My recollection is that UMP was consciously designed to be an MI clone. It's really not a bad scent in its own right,and I wear it occasionally. Unfortunately, it's discontinued, and the prices it usually fetches are out of proportion to its worth. Sometimes it can be had for a reasonable amount on Ebay.

I would guess that very, very few people could tell the difference between a whiff of MI and a whiff of UMP, especially from a few feet away.

Love and Luck is not a bad scent, but it's farther from MI than UMP is. Its great advantage is that it is available nearly everywhere, and is relatively inexpensive. It does have a melony vibe, but there's a lot of other things going on that separates it from MI. It's also more synthetic smelling than either UMP or MI.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I can see the relation to Unforgivable and L&L but for me there is no worthy substitute for MI.
    +1 Agree

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    .... there is no worthy substitute for MI.
    This ^^^^.

I have had both Love & Luck and Unforgiveable. Of the two I much prefer L&L. However after you wear it a couple of times it becomes annoyingly boring and bland.

I don't like Unforgiveable. It smells childish and cheap to me and except the slight melon note I can't really smell any similarities to MI.

NOTE Please be aware that I don't like MI itself. It is not to my nose something I would want to smell like.

Post Thanks / Like

i love MI. I gotta check out unforgiveable and see how close it is.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Comparing anything to Millesime Imperial is blasphemy. Millesime Imperial is perfection and shouldn't be compared to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by mt219 View Post
    i love MI. I gotta check out unforgiveable and see how close it is.
    Again, the ORIGINAL Unforgivable is NOT like Millesime Imperial, and that's what you'll find if you buy it. Unforgivable MULTI PLATINUM is closer but it is a discontinued scent, available only on Ebay or through private sources. I didn't mean to say this again, but I'd hate for you to buy something so different and think that's the version we were talking about.

And I totally agree that even Multi Platinum is no substitute for MI, which I regard as the best smelling cologne ever. UMP is Millesime Imperial's Cool Water.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With the price Unforgivable Multiplatinum is, you can just spend a little more to get the real thing. But at best, it's better than MI's worst batch.