Code of Conduct

Default 'Vanilla' Perfume for my Wife?

Can anyone recommend a perfume for my wife that has a 'vanilla' smell to it?

We saw several today that were called "Vanilla" (such as Vanilla Coconut, Vanilla Blackberry, etc), but I would like to find her a good quality perfume that has a vanilla scent to it.

Thank you for any and all help.

TripleB
    1. Chanel Allure Homme Sport; 2. Acqua di Gio; 3. Versace Pour Homme; 4. Polo Black; 5. Calvin Klein Crave; 6. Kenneth Cole Reaction; 7. Chanel Allure Homme; 8. Liz Claiborne Curve; 9. Carlos Santana; 10. Kenneth Cole Black

Blog Entries

Default Re: 'Vanilla' Perfume for my Wife?

The new Alien Essence Absolue has one of the smokiest, most gorgeous vanilla drydowns ever, IMO.

You may also like to try Dior Addict.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

There are so many! Does she want a foody/desserty vanilla, or is she interested in a more natural vanilla? I like La Maison de la Vanille...they make several vanilla fragrances. I think you can order a set of small sizes of them all. Here is their website. http://www.maison-de-la-vanille.com/ You can try them for a start. I know you can buy them on Lucky Scent, and there may be other places here in the USA that also sell them online. ALSO, there are the 500 incarnations of Guerlain's Shalimar to play with. I like most of them. Vanille Galante by Hermès is very nice. Body Shop has a vanilla perfume oil that used to be nice (I haven't smelled it in a while). Just giving you two suggestions on different ends of the price spectrum. Perhaps you could tell us more about your price range and where you can shop, whether an online purchase is an option. I imagine you will get some more recommendations.

Basenotes Institution

+1 Dior Addict.
    Also Hypnotic Poison also by Dior.

I also can recommend Vanilla by Jalaine- it's a vanilla perfume oil - one of the best vanillas I have smelt.It's available from www.luckyscent.com - I' m not affiliated at all . In fact if you do a search for the word vanilla at Luckyscent- it will recommend a range of really good vanillas as well .

****Oh I just did my own search on luckyscent and remembered that I also adored Regina Harris' Amber Vanilla Perfume Oil and Vanille Absolu by Montale - this one is lovely too . Good stuff.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

♥ Lucky Scent. (Also not affiliated).

Gosh, there are so many to choose from. Depends what you're looking for. If you want a straight forward vanilla that is good for layering as well, I love Molinard Vanille - a little cotton candyish when first sprayed, it settles into a light fruity, caramely vanilla that manages not to be foody in a cookie-ish way. For a wonderful vanilla with a touch of spice, Givenchy Organza Indecence is the best - it's a bit like vanilla custard with a dusting of cinnamon on top, just a tiny bit woody, gourmand in the best way possible. Mauboussin from Mauboussin is another great vanilla, it's a bit boozy at first in the way a fruity brandy is, then comes this vanilla tobacco and it all settles into something unusual and delicious, but not foody.

I would recommend L by Lolita Lempicka or, if you have more cash to spend, Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

Shalimar is the classic reference for vanilla (though there are other notes beyond vanilla).

Also, Caron pour un homme is a great lavender-vanilla combo, marketed to men, but which works well for women too. Or perhaps you can wear it yourself to make your wife happy.

cacio

Thanks for all of the replies.

Anything under $75 for 3.7 ounces is not a problem. Local stores are Belk/JCPennys/Dillards/Kohls and online purchases are a options (however I know she would want to smell it before I ordered anything).

I think she would like a more natural vanilla; nothing like cotton candy. Nothing with a smoky or boozy scent.

Again, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply and offer your opinions. She's always been a 'I'm not going to spend much on perfume' type of lady but I would really like for her to get some high quality perfume.

TripleB
    Last edited by TripleB; 17th July 2012 at 05:58 PM.
    1. Chanel Allure Homme Sport; 2. Acqua di Gio; 3. Versace Pour Homme; 4. Polo Black; 5. Calvin Klein Crave; 6. Kenneth Cole Reaction; 7. Chanel Allure Homme; 8. Liz Claiborne Curve; 9. Carlos Santana; 10. Kenneth Cole Black

Lili Bermuda Paradise is a nice Vanilla/sandalwood frag, somewhat similar to Shalimar, but a bit more modern. Gave it to my wife for our anniversary and she loves it. The EDT is a very good deal IMO at around $65 for 100ml. You can always get the sample too for $10 shipped.

There are so many wonderful vanillas -- simple to complex, inexpensive to very costly. It is possible to own many different fragrances that are predominately vanilla and have them smell very different.
    Some of my favorites:
    Yves Rocher Vanilla Noir $
    L'Aromaine (Outremer) Vanille $ (fabulous even though not very expensive)
    Molinard Vanille $ (fabulous even though not very expensive)
    Jessica Simpson Fancy $
    La Maison de la Vanille (several vanilla combinations available) $$
    Les Senteurs de Gourmande (various vanilla combinations available -- ) $$
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique (various vanilla combinations available -- I adore Vanille Abricot) $$
    Chopard Casmir $$
    Fragonard Fleur de Vanille $$
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille $$$$
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille $$$
    Montale Vanille Absolue $$$
    Dyptique Eau Duelle $$$
    Parfums de Nicolaii Vanille Tonka, or Vanille Intense $$$
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille $$$
    i Profumi di Firenze Vaniglia del Madagascar $$$
    Creed Sublime Vanille $$$$

You can order samples from Luckyscent or from The Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance.
    Good Luck! Let us know what you decide.

If she likes straight forward vanillas, there's nothing like the Molinard.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thanks for everyone's advice and help...it is greatly appreciated!!

TripleB
    Last edited by TripleB; 17th July 2012 at 11:48 PM.

I've seen Kenzo Amour for about $70ish. n doing research for my wife, that was told to me to be vanilla-ish. The Lily Bermuda I refererred to above is a nice vanilla for $60 for a 3.4oz bottle.

Frangrantica lists Christina Aguilla By Night as being similar to Hypnotic Poison and that seems to be about $35 for 3.4oz. I can't vouch for that though.

Quote Originally Posted by mcurtiss View Post
    I've seen Kenzo Amour for about $70ish. n doing research for my wife, that was told to me to be vanilla-ish. The Lily Bermuda I refererred to above is a nice vanilla for $60 for a 3.4oz bottle.

Frangrantica lists Christina Aguilla By Night as being similar to Hypnotic Poison and that seems to be about $35 for 3.4oz. I can't vouch for that though.
    Thanks for the input. I removed the info I put here about he Hypnotic Poison I had here and started a new post since the concern was about one specific perfume.

I appreciate your input.

TripleB

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    +1 Dior Addict.
    Also Hypnotic Poison also by Dior.

I also can recommend Vanilla by Jalaine- it's a vanilla perfume oil - one of the best vanillas I have smelt.It's available from www.luckyscent.com - I' m not affiliated at all . In fact if you do a search for the word vanilla at Luckyscent- it will recommend a range of really good vanillas as well .

****Oh I just did my own search on luckyscent and remembered that I also adored Regina Harris' Amber Vanilla Perfume Oil and Vanille Absolu by Montale - this one is lovely too . Good stuff.
    +1 for Hypnotic Poison and Dior Addict.

I would also recommend the Vanille de Molinard.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hi there. I LOVE Vanilla and this is the one I would go for:
    http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/L...ille-4271.html
    It is long lasting, subtle and totally gorgeous.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

My favorite vanilla is Profumum Vanitas. It has notes of vanilla, myrrh, orange flowers and sandalwood.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 20th July 2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Had the wrong company.

I forgot one of my favorites: Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise. It isn't extremely vanillic or extremely anisic. It's very, very nice. A light oriental, subtly spicy and sweet.

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille.

On some it is pure vanilla, on me it is vanilla with a slight licorice/wood in the background. It is gorgeous and probably one of my top 5.

As with all SLs - try before you buy, perhaps at PerfumedCourt? I have had many compliments on this from non-perfumistas, on how soft and classy it is, yet the sillage is enough to give me wafts of it every so often.
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

I can safely conclude, then, that PERFUME IS ART in its purest form.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

http://www.sheblogsitall.com

I think Micallef's Vanille Aoud is an amazing vanilla fragrance.

The scents suggested are all wonderful. Another to consider is Carla Fracci's Giselle.

Vanilla + Quality = Guerlain! Look no further!
    You should start with the more easily accessible ones like l'instant de guerlain EdP and Shalimar parfum initial. Maybe l'Heure Bleue EdT (don't let you put off by the initial blast of neroli)
    If you have a lot of money to spend go for cuir beluga!

Felanilla.

There's Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture that has a great note of vanilla in it. If she really isn't into tacky bottles though, you might want to try something different, LOL! I love Viva La Juicy! This really doesn't have any vanilla in it, but Marc Jacobs Daisy is a good one, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JeninDC View Post
    I would recommend L by Lolita Lempicka or, if you have more cash to spend, Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.
    +1 on SDV.

Just remember that perfumes smell differently on different people - so it is always best to try the perfume on her own skin first, prior to purchasing (through samples or at an actual store).

I used to love the older version of CSP, smelt really yummy and lasted well on my skin.

Regarding Amour by Kenzo - I do like it, but it does not smell vanilla as such to me.