Code of Conduct

Default Vintages of Caron Pour un Homme

I'd like to start a discussion about the evolution and vintages of Caron's famous 'Pour Un Homme'. Clearly, I'm a fan but I'm wondering what other knowledge is out there. I just got a big bottle (maybe 300ml) of pre-1960 vintage PuH juice on Ebay. It's in a splash/shaker bottle and has a crown on the label. As far as I know, this is the earliest vintage. I also have magazine ads dating from that period that show the bottle I have. The label has "Pour un Homme" and "Les Plus Belles Lavandes". This also appears in the ads from the 50s. The color is NOT the bright green of the current formulation, but neither is it the greenish brown color of some other formulations. It is in between. I'll try to describe the smell later.

Then I also have an 'intermediate' vintage in tester bottles from the 80s and 90s. Again the label is different from the current batches available. It just says "Pour un Homme" and NOT "Pour Un Homme de Caron" which is the way label works on the current bottles. This intermediate vintage has more civet, and I think, tobacco (though neither of these notes are listed). It is darker and dirtier than the most recent bright green formulation.

So my current state of knowledge here is that there are three formulations (I could be wrong of course!)

* Pre-1960 with "Les Plus Belles Lavandes" on the bottle
    * 80s-90s with "Pour un Homme" and a darker/dirtier juice
    * The most recent formulation with "Pour un Homme de Caron" and bright green, cleaner smelling juice

Anybody interested in pursuing this line of questions with me?

Default Re: Vintages of Caron Pour un Homme

I like puh, but I have never smelled vintage. I tend to like a little civet, so, given your analysis, the 80s juice is something I should look for. I agree that then current is clean smelling (and pleasantly so). Curious also that right now Caron has a perfume called le plus belle lavandes de Caron.

cacio

I do like tobbacco, but dislike so much civet albeit there are few civet fragrances I like.
    These vintages may be masterpieces.

Pour Un Homme was created in 1934 and I have seen the wording "Les plus belles lavandes" written on the bottles on advertising posters dated from 1938 up to 1961 (these posters are for sale on french ebay). I think that Caron is also currently selling a fragrance called "Les plus belles lavandes" which is an Eau de Cologne version of Pour Un Homme .
    I don't know about the different formulations but I have purchased recently on ebay ( 15€ !) a 100ml natural spray of Pour Un Homme EdT that comes in a tall bottle with a black plastic cap ; I don't know what is the formulation of this one but it's amazingly good !

I thing, that Caron Pour un Homme Les Plus Belles Lavandes is concentrated version.
    There is advertisement:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960-Pour-...#ht_1606wt_962

The eau de cologne Les Plus Belles Lavandes is marketed as feminine and it is new. Caron also offers "Impact pour Un Homme de Caron" concentrated version.

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    I don't know about the different formulations but I have purchased recently on ebay ( 15€ !) a 100ml natural spray of Pour Un Homme EdT that comes in a tall bottle with a black plastic cap ; I don't know what is the formulation of this one but it's amazingly good !
    I thing, that 100ml bottle is vintage. New one is in 30ml, 75ml, 125ml or bigger bottles. Can you smell any tobacco in your CPUH?
    Last edited by noodles; 1st August 2012 at 05:50 PM.

Interesting. I've never come across vintage stuff but would love to sniff.

I buy a bottle of Pour un Homme every year and this year's bottle doesn't have the biting lavender or luscious vanilla as the one I bought last year... which is a bit worrying. I did a side by side test with the juice from the old bottle. I'm hoping it's just a dud bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Hello fellow Basenoters -

I was very lucky recently and actually purchased an Original Vintage Caron Pour Un Homme Les Plus Belles Lavandes - New In Box with the certificate of authenticity and marketing brochure. The splash bottle size is 170ml (5.75oz) - very rare, indeed!

It is perfect in every way - the scent is remarkable, stunning. I adore Caron Pour Un Homme and while Current formulation is still better than almost anything one can buy, I can only wear it a specific way - close-in, layered heavily...thus "stacking" the scent. Otherwise, it is too much vanilla and it has a doughy-vibe. But, 1" off the skin and then relayer - this works. I also like to splash on Puig's Agua Lavanda during a wearing. I have posted a lot about this in several places.

But, once I tried this old bottle (just a few dabs of the precious juice), I understand just how special it once was. Incredible stuff.

I have not tried, nor will I, the new version that came out. This is a magical elixir...and I plan on enjoying it.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 17th October 2012 at 06:39 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I have what I guess in my collection is the intermediate release as I think it was purchased in late 80s. Very good stuff.

I too have just obtained some of what ericrico is discussing. It's great in every way. Though the notes are simple the quality of the ingredients keeps it smelling rich and dynamic. The new formulation was always unwearable to me (I kept going back and sampling it over the last 4 years or so). Now I don't need to ever consider it again. Here is a pic of the bottle I have (and I think enricio has the same one, except in a smaller size).

I only have the new one and it´s one scent i will never be without. I apply many sprays deliberately and i do enjoy it sweetness. Now i am interested by this one. It´s so amazing scent.

I was really interested in this fragrance until I read a review saying it smelled like a vanilla candle. If there is one thing I hate, it's vanilla scented candles. They make me feel car sick.

Anyway, do you get a vanilla candle vibe? Is the vanilla sweet and gourmand? Would it be silly of me to blind buy given that I'm not a huge fan of vanilla?

Also, has anyone tried Caron's - L'Impact de Pour Un Homme? Does it differ, or is it just stronger?

This vintage one I have does not smell like a candle.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I too have just obtained some of what ericrico is discussing. It's great in every way. Though the notes are simple the quality of the ingredients keeps it smelling rich and dynamic. The new formulation was always unwearable to me (I kept going back and sampling it over the last 4 years or so). Now I don't need to ever consider it again. Here is a pic of the bottle I have (and I think enricio has the same one, except in a smaller size).

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hello fellow Basenoters -

I was very lucky recently and actually purchased an Original Vintage Caron Pour Un Homme Les Belles Plus Lavandes - New In Box with the certificate of authenticity and marketing brochure. The splash bottle size is 170ml (5.75oz) - very rare, indeed!

It is perfect in every way - the scent is remarkable, stunning. I adore Caron Pour Un Homme and while Current formulation is still better than almost anything one can buy, I can only wear it a specific way - close-in, layered heavily...thus "stacking" the scent. Otherwise, it is too much vanilla and it has a doughy-vibe. But, 1" off the skin and then relayer - this works. I also like to splash on Puig's Agua Lavanda during a wearing. I have posted a lot about this in several places.

But, once I tried this old bottle (just a few dabs of the precious juice), I understand just how special it once was. Incredible stuff.

I have not tried, nor will I, the new version that came out. This is a magical elixir...and I plan on enjoying it.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Wow, I am a big fan of 'new' CPUH and I also happen to own a bottle of the new Les Plus Belles de Lavandes which is okay but not nearly as engaging and satisfying as the CPUH...now these comments above have me green with envy. I am such a big fan of lavender and IMO Caron does it wonderfully.

Would either of you guys who own the original / vintage compare it at all to Jicky by Guerlain?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Yes, my friend, Bigsly!

This is indeed what I was so lucky to find - just in a 170ml size! My bottle is in pristine condition and the scent is simply divine! As Bigsly states - "the quality of the ingredients keeps it smelling rich and dynamic". But, I have to say, that the full scent pyramid of Caron Pour Un Homme is in this bottle - with the lavender, musk and vanilla asserting themselves as the prominent notes (and all of the highest, pure, and very natural quality).

That scent pyramid is:
    Top notes: Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary

Middle/Heart: Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood

Base: Oakmoss, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla

I will continue to do more wearings, as I just received the bottle and shared the news with Bigsly, who recently wrote about his findings in this lost masterpiece on Fragrantica! I felt Blessed to have a perfect bottle. I believe the listed notes are in here, but I have not been able to pull them all out, yet - I've only done a couple test wearings. Sparkling citrus is definitely present as is rosemary in the top. In the heart - I do find light hints of wood. The musk is wonderfully done and brilliant here. The Tonka Bean and Vanilla warm the base...but this is truly a very fresh and wonderfully green scent with Oakmoss shining through as a note and fixative! How brilliant!

I find the lavender in this to be so pure, that one might as well be in the fields of majestic and aromatic beauty in Valensole, Provence - on a warm June day right before harvest. Poetry in a bottle for those of us who succumb to this passion of olfactory art, but this is something that anyone who appreciates scent can adore.

Something to mention as our friend, hednic, pointed out. I also have Vintage Caron Pour Un Homme - both Spray and Splash bottles, which are absolutely beautiful & superior to current formulation. I find them to have less ingredients than what is here, but the quality is still fantastic and one will find various accords, undertones and nuances that bring one back to some of the listed notes here. One thing that I have mentioned before is that I find the musk to be more prevalent, and while the vanilla is still present...amber is a key note in Vintage formulation's base. It is warm and endearing - and also less vanillic than current formulation. Incredible balance and depth as well.

And, I am actually someone who enjoys and appreciates current formulation of Caron Pour Un Homme as well. So, my perspective is not quite the same, but after finding and experiencing Vintage, like hednic mentions, and realizing how great it is - this beauty found its way to me in this world. Amazing.

I hope more of you can find this...it is out there! Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, voidvader -

I, too, enjoy the current formulation of Caron Pour Un Homme. I apply liberally and spray very close to "stack" the scent. It keeps the vanilla under the lavender and allows the musk to breathe and radiate through. If you spray from distance, it is too vanillic and smells a bit "doughy". It doesn't take the 'form' or 'structure' that I like. I actually even like applying by spraying current formulation into the cupped palm of my hand at very close distance and applying it as a "splash". I simply have not purchased a large flacon of the current formulation in splash format, but I have the after shave and it is actually very well proportioned and applies wonderfully.

I profess my love for Caron Pour Un Homme because it focuses on both the herbal (sharp green leaf accord) of lavender as well as the fragrant floral bloom that is smooth - in essence, a soliflore of lavender within a three-note composition. The musk connects to the herbal nuance and brings both focus as well as a light animalic quality. It is brilliant in Vintage formulation and wonderfully composed. In current, the musk is lighter, so the vanilla can become dominant. The smooth, delicate floral (yet masculine) aspect of lavender is what connects to the vanilla. It is charming and not cloying to me, but I like the harmony and balance when applied as I suggested. Please note, I also layer by reapplying within 15-30 minutes of wearing - I spray right on the same spots where I initially applied. Another part of this olfactory ritual that I have added is splashing on Puig's Agua Lavanda Eau de Cologne (which I have in a glass bud vase, covered with a towelette). It is a pure lavender scent from Spain that has been in existence since 1940 - while it has a few other light notes in the blend, this is known as a purist's lavender! About an hour into the wearing, since I love the lavender so much, I splash on Agua Lavanda and it refreshes the top notes wonderfully. Puig's Agua Lavanda is sold in large, plastic bottles (750ml) that look like dish soap. Just cut the small nib and pour some into glass - it will lose the plastic smell within just a few minutes. It is important that fragrance touches glass (or crystal). I love to refresh with a few shots of Caron Pour Un Homme as well, but Agua Lavanda offers something unique. Great harmony and the base of Caron Pour Un Homme (Musk & Vanilla, with Amber in Vintage) continues to radiate as a skin scent. By no means do you lose what Caron Pour Un Homme offers...this is just a fun way to awake your senses. Aromatherapy - pure and simple.

But, yes, enjoy the current juice...it is different from Vintage, but still wonderful in its own right. Try applying as I suggested and see if you get a different 'structure' from the scent.

This is one of the most important bottles of scent of the last millennium and will continue to be for generations ahead...cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    I only have the new one and it´s one scent i will never be without. I apply many sprays deliberately and i do enjoy it sweetness. Now i am interested by this one. It´s so amazing scent.
    Last edited by ericrico; 17th October 2012 at 07:03 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post

But, yes, enjoy the current juice...it is different from Vintage, but still wonderful in its own right.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Yes, is just what you said Ericrico. When you "stack" you get more lavender. It also fine that when the body warms you may feel some breeze of the lavender coming again from the background of the vanilla.

Basenotes Plus

Hi mikeperez23 -

I have not tried the new bottle that was recently released. I heard it was nice, but more of a spritzer (very short longevity). I already adore Puig's Agua Lavanda and find wonderful enjoyment in that - and it blends wonderfully with current CPUH!

I cannot agree more - the lavender in Caron Pour Un Homme (any formulation) is exquisite...but, it just happens to be of better quality and richer in Vintage formulation and the timeless Les Plus Belles Lavandes! Now comparing CPUH Les Plus Belles Lavandes to Jicky. Well, I don't mind civet as a note - I actually have a fondness for scents with it, when well-integrated. But, the question is...does it fit well into a lavender/vanilla composition for me? I would have to say that although Jicky by Guerlain, undoubtedly a classic, is not my preference. Caron Pour Un Homme connects with me on every level - even finding a way for current formulation to work very well - but Vintage formulation and the Les Plus Belles Lavandes, even more wonderful. Yes, there is a slightly animalic quality in the musk - but it is beautifully integrated and of very high quality in Vintage formulations (it is lighter in current, but still present). It makes the composition very natural on human skin...and allows the lavender and vanilla to expand and breathe. That is my humble opinion...nothing against the magnificent house of Guerlain.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, I am a big fan of 'new' CPUH and I also happen to own a bottle of the new Les Plus Belles de Lavandes which is okay but not nearly as engaging and satisfying as the CPUH...now these comments above have me green with envy. I am such a big fan of lavender and IMO Caron does it wonderfully.

Would either of you guys who own the original / vintage compare it at all to Jicky by Guerlain?

For me, ingredient quality has become increasingly important, though 5 years ago I couldn't really tell the difference. What I find with decent quality, recent designer frags is that they tend to lack depth, even if they don't smell "un-natural." This is a major reason for my "vintage hunting" ways of the last 2 years or so.