Code of Conduct

Default Starting from how many sprays will make people get offended?

I know there are a lot of conservative sprayers here with only 2-3 as their maximum. That sure won't offend anyone.
    Imagine you are in class room or meeting room and there will be someone sitting close to you. Your perfume is already like 2-3hours on your skin, no heavy topnotes, it is already at the drydown stage. How many sprays does one need to overapply to make them having the urge to change their seat or look at you furiously? I mean it sure is nice to get noticed, but only in a positive way lol =)
    Of course you have to keep in mind how strong the perfume is and adjust with the number of sprays

Default Re: Starting from how many sprays will make people get offended?

I guess that would depend on the person who is sitting next to you and the perceived strength of the scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Depends on what you spray.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

+ Depends on where you spray it.

Ex. 10 sprays of Jvxxv will have everyone choking in the conference room
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

One spray of a strong perfume like Angel EDP can offend sensible people easily.

I'm a definite conservative sprayer. The folks that are on this site tend to be the kind of folks I'd avoid - 10+ sprays of stuff that honestly would singe my nose hairs past 3 sprays.

It truly matters on the strength of the scent, where you spray and how much the sprayer puts out.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

Basenotes Member

Can we use BdC as an example?
    How many sprays should I use to get noticed, rather than smell good at an intimate distance?

Just for my own curiosity, what's BdC? Bleu de Chanel or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Just for my own curiosity, what's BdC? Bleu de Chanel or something else?
    Bleu de Chanel
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Do you want to smell nice, or be cologne guy? Do you want to smell good when people are close, or do you want to scream for attention to everyone within 30 feet?

As others have mentioned, it completely depends on what you are spraying. But it also depends on where you are spraying. If it's a projection beast, I would recommend spraying under your shirt. The smell with come through, but it will calm it down a bit. One spray under your shirt is quite different than one spray to your neck. And you will find that some scents that you didn't think lasted very long actually last longer than you thought that way.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. Xerjoff - Fars
    5. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Creed - Green Valley
    7. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Creed - Royal Scottish Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by Jake94 View Post
    Can we use BdC as an example?
    How many sprays should I use to get noticed, rather than smell good at an intimate distance?
    My personal opinion? I'll assume that you're wearing a shirt and a blazer. In that case, two sprays to the chest, one to each forearm. I'm personally not a fan of sprays to the neck, in that case (if you are), I'd say one to the neck (base of the neck), one spray to the chest. I tend to avoid having any sprays below my forearms - I wash my hands a lot so anything from the wrist down will be gone by 10am.

4 sprays of Bleu de Chanel is good enough to get noticed, but not kill the person next to you. Since I'm a conservative sprayer, I rarely go over two sprays with BdC, but I like my scents to be more for me and of course, my wife. Not the entire room.

Read what dougczar states. I like his take - like many have said before. It's up to the scent, where you spray and what you want to do. To get noticed, try the above. If it's too conservative, up the ante to where you feel. I can only give you my opinion. I've seen up to 8 sprays mentioned for BdC. It's not a strong scent, but it rarely offends.

I would say 10 sprays of anything and you will be good to go. Maybe 15 or 20 if you are outside. At work, church, or classroom 10 would be a good number and then adjust upward. Remember everything has been reformulated, is a skin scent, and is a shell of its former self...
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    D&G The One (Pre-Launch Super Batch Edition)

'Tis better to buy a great fragrance at a cheap price, than a cheap fragrance at a great price...

There is no definitive, universally valid answer.

There are so many variables influencing this, including (but not limited to): the concentration and projection of the fragrance, the output quantities applied by different sprayers of different capacities, the storage conditions of the fragrance- making it lose at least some of its strength over time, if stored improperly, the application point and so much more. Therefore, where a very strong fragrance (even more so if coupled with a sprayer/splash bottle that makes limiting the application quantity difficult) might already offend after 2 sprays, while a much lighter, less concentrated fragrance (again, particularly if coupled with very scarce quantities applied with every spray/splash) may remain fairly imperceptible even after 10 sprays.

And while 10 is nowhere near a "magic number" regarding the social acceptability of a fragrance while still being perceived as well smelling without becoming to affected by olfactory fatigue either, 10 sprays (or other applications) is, in my opinion and with few exceptions, a fairly accurate benchmark for the maximum number of sprays to be acceptably used, especially in the case of lighter fragrances, without worrying about becoming offensive to others.

As others have said, it depends on the perfume. Not sure if its true, but i've heard people in US generally speakin are more liberal sprayers than in EU for example. So it might be as well a cultural issue.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    As others have said, it depends on the perfume. Not sure if its true, but i've heard people in US generally speakin are more liberal sprayers than in EU for example. So it might be as well a cultural issue.
    This ^

I picked up a lot from my time in Japan where scents are more muted as not to offend. I still tend to be a conservative sprayer. And in the US, it differs from region to region actually. So there's that aspect to consider as well.

I personally do not spray more than 3 times. Anything past 5 is really pushing it IMO. To my nose and most probably to others' as well, the sillage smells much better when application has been moderate. Too much and it smells synthetic and overbearing, too light and you hardly experience all the notes, layers and stages of the perfume. But how much is too much? Trying to find a definitive answer would be a fool's errand, I think.

I also think its worth mentioning that I'm lucky enough to not suffer from olfactory fatigue, which if you do have a case of, can force you to apply more just to be able to smell what you're wearing without having to dig your nose into your shirt. Olfactory fatigue is the usual reason people apply a lot of perfume.

I think one possible remedy for olfactory fatigue is to wear perfume as far from the proximity of your nose as possible. I normally spray on my chest, stomach, biceps or ankles and avoid spraying on my neck, behind ears, wrists and hair. Maybe this is why I'm not affected by this problem and therefore don't have to apply as much?
    Last edited by Gerard_Butler; 19th January 2015 at 06:25 PM.

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thaikick View Post
    I know there are a lot of conservative sprayers here with only 2-3 as their maximum. That sure won't offend anyone.
    Imagine you are in class room or meeting room and there will be someone sitting close to you. Your perfume is already like 2-3hours on your skin, no heavy topnotes, it is already at the drydown stage. How many sprays does one need to overapply to make them having the urge to change their seat or look at you furiously? I mean it sure is nice to get noticed, but only in a positive way lol =)
    Of course you have to keep in mind how strong the perfume is and adjust with the number of sprays
    You would have to take it case by case for each fragrance. Some things to consider would be the longevity and silage as well the versatility and occasions of the scent. Some are easier to wear than others while others come out to be more potent. The setting and time of place are also important factors as well. For instance you could more likely get away with spraying Creed Millesime Imperial say like 10 sprays without offending people. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather for instance, if you apply 10 sprays you would very likely offend people.

Nothing that I can add that hasn't been said. However, this is highly subjective. Depends on what fragrance you're using, how many sprays, and who is around you.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

This place severely needs barriers to entry.
    for swap/sale:

There's no way to answer your question with a specific number.

- Which scent? 3 sprays of Interlude Man is different than 3 sprays of Gendarme.
    - Where did you spray it? 3 sprays to the neck is different than 2 o the chest and 1 to the back.
    - Where are you? Sitting in a crowd indoors is different than being outdoors on a cool day.
    - What's the weather like? 3 sprays of A*Men in January is different than 3 sprays of A*Men in August.

In the end, it's the wearer's job to figure out how to appropriately wear fragrance.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I am glad people are with me on this that it is impossible to generalise it. A lot of reviewers, gurus whatever advise to not overspray and that 2-3 sprays is the magic number which can influence newbies. =) Well I won't feel like the cologne guy anymore when I spray like 6 sprays my gucci ph2 or any other weaker fragrance.

I wore 2 sprays under my shirt of Eau Sauvage parfum recently on a crowded and VERY hot train. Due to the temperature and enclosed space the fragrance went NUCLEAR. I love the smell normally but it was completely overwhelming and I felt quite sick.

Whereas if I was wearing Clinique Happy I estimate that I would need to have been wearing between 25 to 50 sprays to achieve the same effect (and no I'm not exaggerating).

Quote Originally Posted by Thaikick View Post
    Well I won't feel like the cologne guy anymore when I spray like 6 sprays my gucci ph2 or any other weaker fragrance.
    Add a few more for good measure!

People are to easily offended so even if you don't use any cologne it's possibly going to happen at some point.

I go with 3 to 4 sprays on most fragrances. Light ones I'll go 5 which is usually clothing. If it's really heavy or strong I go 3 max with one on my chest under clothing. If your at work or in close quarters then error on less sprays. Once you offend it's hard to wear that fragrance again around the same people.

Scent is so very subjective. Much depends on one's skins, one's personal sense of smell, temperature and humidity.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

I rarely use more than 3 sprays of anything (yes, thats including Gucci PH II or Millesime Imperial). More than that and with majority of my scents, its overkill (for working indoors). Its enough for me to still smell my scent and usually not too much to offend anyone (ok stuff like A*Men, Black Aoud, etc. can be offending with just 1 spray).
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Thierry Mugler Pure Energy

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme