Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Histoires de Parfums Petroleum: Has Anyone Tried It?

Hi all,

I was at Aedes the other day and was trying a number of fragrances. This one, as well as its companion Rosam, intrigued me, but I was unable to judge them fairly because of olfactory fatigue. Has anyone tried Petroleum? What do you think? What about Rosam? They both have rose notes, and I'm wondering what the experts think and whether it is worth investigating either or both of them further.

Thanks .

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums Petroleum: Has Anyone Tried It?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Petroleum is unique. This creative masterpiece deserves all the hypes that just a fragrance destined to become a cult one is worthy to receive. I needed to wait a long time before finally testing a juice that intrigued me since when i've heard about its inception. This fragrance is conceptually futuristic but arcane in the olfactory effects, extremely modern and deeply retro at once. I would talk about a gasolinic and ozonic aoud-amber-patchouli concoction. At the first sniff i'm in a while teleported back in to an obscure ambience of my childhood, probably my old aunt's bedroom, a shadowy, stuffy, musty, vaguely polluted and claustrophobic place full of wallpapers, old wardrobes, stored furs, leatherwears, smell of naphthalene and fuggy air. I smell on my wrist a potpourri of leather, mothballs, floral deodorants, detergent, moquettes, old velvets, boot polish (i detect indeed in this phase a vague reminiscence about by Kilian Pure Oud) and aldehydic grandma colognes. The first part of the development is medicinal, citric (mostly orangy) and vaguely spicy/earthy with its well calibrated dose of petrol, gasoline and high quality aoud while in a second phase the stark aroma tames down becoming an absolutely velvety, mysterious and vintage rosey/ambery wake with musky accents. In this phase you can effectively detect some airy/ozonic/mineral presence in the blend, the touch of genius which, while enhancing utterly the mystery of amber with its salty aftertsmell, introduces a lighter salty/sweet vibe that pushes up in the air the rosey/velvety ( spelaean and metallurgical at once) trail. Arcane and modern i write and indeed the final aroma reminds me at once an old stuffy ambience of my past or my latest visit to the dentist (with the typical waiting room medicinal smell jumping to mind). All can i say is that as a lover of weird and experimental alchemies, this evocative and futuristic aroma climbed in a while the highest peaks of my olfactory liking.

Never tried it.

Bought it blind, sprayed it like three times and decided it's not for me. Thinking about selling it. Wish I would've bought 1725 instead. Que lastima.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Petroleum is unique. This creative masterpiece deserves all the hypes that just a fragrance destined to become a cult one is worthy to receive. I needed to wait a long time before finally testing a juice that intrigued me since when i've heard about its inception. This fragrance is conceptually futuristic but arcane in the olfactory effects, extremely modern and deeply retro at once. I would talk about a gasolinic and ozonic aoud-amber-patchouli concoction. At the first sniff i'm in a while teleported back in to an obscure ambience of my childhood, probably my old aunt's bedroom, a shadowy, stuffy, musty, vaguely polluted and claustrophobic place full of wallpapers, old wardrobes, stored furs, leatherwears, smell of naphthalene and fuggy air. I smell on my wrist a potpourri of leather, mothballs, floral deodorants, detergent, moquettes, old velvets, boot polish (i detect indeed in this phase a vague reminiscence about by Kilian Pure Oud) and aldehydic grandma colognes. The first part of the development is medicinal, citric (mostly orangy) and vaguely spicy/earthy with its well calibrated dose of petrol, gasoline and high quality aoud while in a second phase the stark aroma tames down becoming an absolutely velvety, mysterious and vintage rosey/ambery wake with musky accents. In this phase you can effectively detect some airy/ozonic/mineral presence in the blend, the touch of genius which, while enhancing utterly the mystery of amber with its salty aftertsmell, introduces a lighter salty/sweet vibe that pushes up in the air the rosey/velvety ( spelaean and metallurgical at once) trail. Arcane and modern i write and indeed the final aroma reminds me at once an old stuffy ambience of my past or my latest visit to the dentist (with the typical waiting room medicinal smell jumping to mind). All can i say is that as a lover of weird and experimental alchemies, this evocative and futuristic aroma climbed in a while the highest peaks of my olfactory liking.
    It actually sounds like a disaster to me. But given the good reviews I'll have to try it when I get a chance. It does sound intriguing.

To my nose it smells like the depths of a mineral excavation site. Very unique in terms of being a personal fragrance, but unfortunately it is not something that I find wearable. Similar to me as CdG Perfume (the packing tape and robot one). But I will say the smell is not unpleasant, and is quite a bit better than Ambrarem.

It's weird, but not in a bad way. I quite like it, but wouldn't know how often I'd be in the mood to smell like it.

I actually like all three from this trilogy, though I think the other two share more similarities with each other than with Petroleum.

I got a little bag of oud scent samples from Lucky Scent a few months back. It contained all three: Petroleum, Rosam, and Ambrarem. I thought Petroleum was the star by far. I like the new iteration of Farenheit and could not help but wonder that current Farenheit on steroids might take the form of Petroleum. Maybe a bit of a novelty, I will probably pursue this one and layer it with Farenheit occasionally.

I loved Petroleum ,with its persistent oud note. I didn't get much in the way of a hydrocarbon, petrol smell at all. I felt that it was very over-priced for what it was.

Vintage or even reformulation M7 is far better overall, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I loved Petroleum ,with its persistent oud note. I didn't get much in the way of a hydrocarbon, petrol smell at all. I felt that it was very over-priced for what it was.

Vintage or even reformulation M7 is far better overall, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Bought it blind, sprayed it like three times and decided it's not for me. Thinking about selling it. Wish I would've bought 1725 instead. Que lastima.
    Sell it to me, please!

OP, I've sampled and loved Petroleum. I've worked on ships for a time in my life, and this scent actually brings me back into the engine room of those boats. Other reviewers mentioned "bilge notes", I cannot agree more. A the bottom of the engine rooms in these ships, a mix of the saltwater, gasoline and engine oil sloshes around. These were also wooden ships I worked on, so the oud note wasn't far off the mark, either. Another thing I like about Petroleum is that it transforms dramatically from start to finish. The salt/ozone note seamlessly transitions into the oud, which itself seems to maintain its glow until the frag finally dies out.

All that said, it's still an odd one; I understand if others finding it unwearable. Not everyone wants to smell like an engine room!