Don't forget Dior Homme Sport with your Dior line!
For those starting out, I made a list of 45 designer colognes (for men) to try. I'm not including niche. Nearly all of these can be found for under $100, most of them under 75, half of them under 50. Most of these can be found somewhere in your local mall. Most of these have been well received or highly talked about on Basenotes. I didn't include discontinued colognes (sorry, M7). I even included ones that I didn't like at all, but respected as a work of art. This is not written in any particular order.
1. Acqua Di Gio - best seller, very popular, citrus/berry/fresh scent
2. Le Male - sweet, vanilla/lavendar/mint, great longevity/projection, women like it
3. Cool Water - green aquatic, great projection and longevity, inexpensive
4. The Dreamer - unique, tobacco/lilies/vanilla, controversial opening but dries down well
5. Polo (green, original) - A classic, spicy, heavy, masculine, probably for older men
6. Polo Blue - A melon-based aquatic, with some subtle undercurrents of the original Polo.
7. Fahrenheit - honeysuckle/violet/bergamot, somewhat similar to gasoline and fresh-cut grass
8. Kouros - controversial and not for everybody, but it's a strong, very unique, smoky floral
9. Rive Gauche - lavendar/patchouli, subtle and distinct, very versatile, almost everyone here likes it
10. Drakkar Noir - lemon/lavendar/patchouli, a loud woodsy scent, with some fresh ingredients
11. Versace Eau Fraiche - lemon with some spicy/woody undercurrents, great for summer
12. Love and Luck - blast of citrus that settles into a sweet/spicy/floral/woody drydown
13. Unforgivable - Sean John's take on Millesime Imperial; darker and heavier
14. Aramis - Strong, loud, boldly masculine, a pure woodsy fragrance
15. Bulgari Aqua - versatile, oceanic/salty aquatic with a darker interesting drydown
16. Hanae Mori - a fresh citrus scent, with some sweet gourmand vanilla/chocolate undercurrents
17. Angel Men - a vanilla/chocolate gourmand, with tar and tobacco in the drydown
18. Azzaro Chrome - some may think it's too synthetic, but it is sweet metallic and fresh
19. 1 Million - sweet, fruity, like cotton candy or bubble gum, a popular clubbing scent
20. Eternity - a green floral spicy lavender scent
21. Leau D'Issey - a fresh citrus scent with a woody drydown
22. Obsession - a heavy sweet mandarin woodsy scent
23. Armani Code - a sweet fresh scent that younger people will like
24. Terre D'Hermes - an earthy, spicy, sparkling fresh masterpeice, versatile and professional
25. Antaeus - unapologetically loud and strong, pure woodsy, very masculine
26. Egoiste - woodsy and sweet with vanilla
27. Platinum Egoiste - a more modern and versatile version of Egoiste
28. Allure Homme Sport - great for a hot summer day, a real quality frag, through and through
29. Gucci Guilty - a sweet floral scent, consider it like Gucci Flora for men.
30. Light Blue - a fresh citrus scent with a spicy/woody drydown
31. Dior Homme/Intense - iris/lipstick, distinct, regular Homme is more bitter, Intense is more sweet
32. Burberry London - a well acclaimed winter fragrance
33. Armani Diamonds - a sweet almond woodsy scent, unique
34. Usher - a decent fruity/pineapple opening
35. Bulgari Black - rubber/asphalt and tea
36. L'Homme - a sweet fresh safe and agreeable scent
37. La Nuit - like L'Homme but with daring hot spicy notes
38. 212 Men - a green/leafy fresh fragrance, tea and grass
39. Body Kouros - sweet, eucalyptus/licorice/vanilla/sugar cane, great price
40. Curve - you can get this fresh soapy green fragrance nearly anywhere, dirt cheap
41. Live Jazz - mint/grapefruit/cilantro , a bright invigorating fresh scent, great price
42. Hot Water - Davidoff's hot spicier antithesis to Cool Water
43. Fierce - Abercrombie's fresh, subtly woodsy scent, good for a younger crowd
44. Joop - sweet, spicy/floral, cherry scent
45. Spicebomb - sweet cinnamon gourmand, like pumpkin pie, sold at Nordstrom
Don't forget Dior Homme Sport with your Dior line!
Hey, cool! Congrats!
M7 isn't discontinued!
M7 isnt discontinued? What accounts for the huge price increase on the internet? Moreover what brick and mortar stores sell them?
Like many of your recommendations.
I just want to say, not only is this list nice and appreciated, but I love that you've made a few mentions of the general notes. This helps newbies like me immediately know what I'm smelling or what I may gravitate towards trying out. Love it!
I like this list as well, but does Usher really belong? Your descriptions of the others make most of them sound compelling, but if someone told me you must try this, it has "a decent fruity/pineapple opening" I probably wouldn't elevate it to the top of my list...
^ Unless it were Aventus Hahahah!
Seriously though, Usher does have one of the better openings of a celebrity scent that I smelled. If the drydown were as interesting, it would be a must-have in my opinion. But it is only $30.
I would add to your list:
Versace pour Homme - (fresh/versatile/citrusy)
Hugo Boss Bottled - (versatile day/night perfect of office or date night)
Givenchy Play Intense - (get noticed mocha coffee effect similar to dark temptations from axe with better composition)
He Wood Ocean Wet Wood - (fresh woody aquatic)
Cartier Roadster Sport - (fresh/versatile/citrus/floral/modern/sweet/soft)
^ nice additions!
great list my friend. You've covered a bit. But as always, people with be naysayers
Thanks noirdrakkar, wish this was available sooner
Pure Malt is another great one that I'm sure all the newer members would love
Great list!! I've been putting together a "wish list" of scents that I'd like to sample, and many are here...so maybe I'm doing something right
"We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown
"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie
Selling samples, I'd say the most mentioned are Kouros, Body Kouros, Rive Gauche PH, Habanita, Fierce, Yatagan, Chanel PM original, GIT, M7 (original), and The Dreamer, but I don't offer all the ones you listed.
Visit my huge swap page: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/211...-ml-Gotham-etc
Or visit my Sales page: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/211...o-make-offers!
Samples, etc. for Sale at my Crystal Flacon page: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=282
My fragrance blog: http://bigslyfragrance.wordpress.com/
Bleu de chanel is a worth mention IMO as it is versatile easy to use and the average joe seems fond of it