Code of Conduct

Question O.K. - So What constitues a "cheap perfume" (like in Detective Stories)....

I'm curious to know what you knowledgeable people think cuz this locution has showed up onscreen recently - usually to characterize a slutty sort of person who is usually the girlfriend of the perp.

And also cuz I picked up the bottle of Tesco's Red Rose and Jasmine (another Jo Malone knock-off) sent me by Kewart and which I've been sort of using as a room spray in the downstairs guest bathroom.

And ackshully it's kinda pretty on me. Top note is pure alcohol. Which quickly yields to a non intrusive jasmine-y rose and then settles into my fave skanky cumin-y thang. Saucy - yeah. Piquant - yeah. Slutty - no.

You got some candidates?
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: O.K. - So What constitues a "cheap perfume" (like in Detective Stories)....

I have a couple of plastic bottles of White Gardenia by Bodycology ,from Target which I was crazy for ,for a very little while....
    I now use them as a room spray and as a linen closet spray ! *LOL*
    It actually is a great Michael Kors dupe .

I don't know if it's slutty as such - though it always reminds me of that line from 'Don't stop believin' by Journey
    "A singer in a smokey room
    A smell of wine and cheap perfume......"
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: O.K. - So What constitues a "cheap perfume" (like in Detective Stories)....

Oh Mimi yes! but what would be that cheap perfume? Same as what would be the cheap, slutty perfume in a pulpy detective story? I want to think on this one - great subject!

Maybe it would be Tabu. I like La Nuit by Paco Rabanne as a contender too, but it seems that in this context it should be something that was around in the 30s or 40s.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking Tabu too, Carles creating it for a prostitute and all, but even more fitting, Tabu is bewitching, so it works with that hard-boiled detective man sort of being excited by this "cheap" lady situation. Or all of the drugstore-ruined versions of once-excellent perfumes: the Cotys and such.

Ha, Mimi, with the Journey song... hmm, when I hear it I always think of Victoria's Secret Love Spell, which my entire middle school wore at once and all the boys hated. The smell of fruit punch and growing up fast.

Oh, and if like Inga, I try to think what actual perfume the Journey song was referring to--around back then and all, maybe Charlie? Woman by Jovan?
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 20th July 2012 at 06:38 AM.

Basenotes Institution

+1 Tabu .
    Yes, I also think of Giorgio Beverly Hills now as well which is a bit of shame even though I don't like it much . It used to be so popular .
    I know one really classy lady in her 80s who wears it and has probably worn it from the time it first came out. She wears it very well but on the whole...it's become like 'cheap perfume ' .
    I'm sorry I can't think of more Detective story " noire " type cheap perfumes though.

Probably from the era of the pulpy detective fiction, "cheap perfume" would connote some of the unsophisticated, original synthetic scents and knockoffs of pricier brands as opposed to the fine, natural French perfumes of the day. I'm thinking killer nitromusks and drums of aldehydes, freaky coal-tar derivatives, loads of alcohol. Now almost everything produced would meet that description.

Broke Ass Stuart on Cheap Drugstore Perfumes:
    http://brokeassstuart.com/blog/2010/...tore-perfumes/

What FUN you guys are!!

And if you haven't already - head straightaway for Unregistered's suggested blog by BrokeAss Stuart!!

Have to giggle at Tabu's presence here. (Go to the Directory and plow through MdeM's review for some fun gossip.) In my early twenties (don't ask) the way T smelled on me would have qualified it for the title. Now that I am "une femme d'un certain âge" it settles into the glorious floriental that lands it at the top of BN faves year after year.

A&I's candidates made me think of White Shoulders and even Emeraude.

Sigh.

...oh geeze yes, Mimi - Giorgio, fer sure. Maybe eve (gasp) Red Door and Ciara. Dare I say Blue Waltz?
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

TaoLady, I was sitting here having coffee getting my eyes open, and was thinking of this thread even before I signed in. Honestly, this subject is fun! You know I thought of Ciara too, and maybe Jontue. Potent stuff. Potent !! I had not thought of Tabu, and why not, it's perfect!
    I'm off right away to check out the blog by BrokeAss Stuart. I'll be back..

Max Factor Blaze. In the 70s it was so strong it took the lining from your nose

Basenotes Institution

+1 Charlie and Ciara ! Wow- those do bring back memories.

Checked out the blog that Unregistered linked ! Heehee !

(** The other thing - though not 'noir' ... - cheap vanilla perfume ,sprays . I've smelt a lot of that on women of all ages at my gym . The first thing that comes to my head is 'cheap' - it completely fills the area in a weird synthetic sweet smell . )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 20th July 2012 at 04:14 PM.

Dependent

Tried Bal a Versailles the other day and it definitely gave me that old school cheap feel similar to Tabu. Both of those are crude, but not nearly so crude as the synthetic fruity monsters of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Max Factor Blaze. In the 70s it was so strong it took the lining from your nose

Miss Tao, remember what you told me? "Musks will smell better on you with age, we will all get there." I am still hopeful, however only a few of them DO smell all right on me, but I keep trying and trying. (Mimi's Royal Musca by M.Micallef is glorious on this skin, BTW, I gotta get my stuff sorted out here and get you some, not cheap by any means.)

I am so glad you came back, with your "akshully" and "ayem" and other Tao-isms!

Brut is cheap as chips over here

I'm thinkin' most drug store brands, "Evening in Paris" for one, any knock off whose label says "if you like Georgio, you'll like
    our version". The original drug store brands, Corday's Fame and Tourjours Moi, Coty's L'Aimant, Emeraude, Evyan's White Shoulders and Most Precious, Faberge's Tigress, Aphrodisia, Woodhue and Flambeau, they were all wonderfull. If only the old formulas were still around. Oh, add Dana's 20 Carats (my fave), Emir, Platine, Ambush. Dorothy Grey had some cool cologne splashes for summertime, too.

Toujours Moi is Miss Tao's favorite, I remember!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Miss Tao, remember what you told me? "Musks will smell better on you with age, we will all get there." I am still hopeful, however only a few of them DO smell all right on me, but I keep trying and trying.... (
    FUNNY you should say that cuz I just got through saying -somewhere else - that musks were not among my faves. Guess it's the heat. And of course there are musks and then there are musks. (Can't wait to try the one you mentioned.)eah - I did love TM. It's not around any more - not the original anyway.

And you got a loooong way to go to - um - age!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 23rd July 2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Grooming

+1 on Tabu, but now just about every celebuscent.

Yes, the Journey lyrics, Mimi!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.