Code of Conduct

Default Shopping in Melbourne Australia.

Title says it all really. I have tried a few scents in Myers and a couple of smaller shops. But I haven't found anywhere I can sample any of the less mainstream fragrances. I've done ok with some blind buys of the cheaper variety, (Salvador Dali, Ungaro) But after reading some of the reviews and forum posts on here, I am interested in getting my nose round some scents that don't come from the major designers.

Any Victorians got any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Default Re: Shopping in Melbourne Australia.

Welcome Austere.

Check out:
    - Mecca Cosmetica in Myer CBD
    - Kleins in Fitzroy
    - Peony Haute Parfumerie in Hawthorn

You'll be able to test a pretty big range of niche between these three.

Banned

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/48-Australia

Have a look here. That's where your thread will be moved anyway. :-)

Thanks Laph. That looks exactly what I was looking for.

And thank you, Candide. I pride myself on using the search functions. But it never occurred to me to search for an Aussie forum.

Noice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Austere View Post
    Thanks Laph. That looks exactly what I was looking for.

And thank you, Candide. I pride myself on using the search functions. But it never occurred to me to search for an Aussie forum.

Noice.
    :-) I always find the shopping-guide-section very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    :-) I always find the shopping-guide-section very interesting.
    Cheers, mate. It just keeps getting better.

What a site.

No probs.
    Also, if you're after any splits, you should check out the oz splits group - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...z-scent-splits

Are you sure you have done Myres properly? As well as the afore mentioned Mecca Cosmetica, which is easily overlooked because from a distance all one sees is a wall of lipstick, (Don't get me started on the Myres layout), the so called Fragrance Hall has quite a good range of what I consider niche; Frapin, HdP, Parfum d'Empire etc. The adjacent David Jones is also a veritable hunting ground for high quality fragrances if not exactly 'niche' eg, Annik Goutal. Both these locations have kept me amused fragrance wise for over a year now and I have yet to see the end. Good luck.

As Melvournis said, DJ's is often overlooked and you can find some real surprises there. I'd also check to see if anyone can shop at the duty free stores as well. I'm not too sure, but if they're any reflection of their stores behind the immigration counter at the airport, their ranges are pretty good.

Like the others said, Myer and DJ's are often forgotten. Myer has the entire Guerlain L'Art de la Matiere line and DJ's have Creed, Tom Ford's Private Blend and Amouage. Mecca Cosmetica is excellent for getting started with niche, such as Serge Lutens, Comme des Garcons, Diptyque and Frederic Malle.

I think the Creeds at DJs is a Sydney thing and not available at the Melbourne store, unless I'm terribly mistaken, and I hope I am. But as broxwood says, good for all the other stuff including Armani collection prive and Jo Malone, right at the entrance.

I checked out both those stores on the net and didn't see much outside of the mainstream. And Myers I have been going thru at Highpoint. I sort of figured that a big chain like that would pretty much be the same from store to store. But no, huh?

Guess a trip to the CDB would be the next stop on my journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    I think the Creeds at DJs is a Sydney thing and not available at the Melbourne store, unless I'm terribly mistaken, and I hope I am. But as broxwood says, good for all the other stuff including Armani collection prive and Jo Malone, right at the entrance.
    Oops, assumed that all the CBD stores would be well stocked. Always thought Melbourne would have had a greater variety since it's considered to be the fashion capital of Australia, or am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Austere View Post
    I checked out both those stores on the net and didn't see much outside of the mainstream. And Myers I have been going thru at Highpoint. I sort of figured that a big chain like that would pretty much be the same from store to store. But no, huh?

Guess a trip to the CDB would be the next stop on my journey.
    I see what you mean after browsing through their sites. Since Myer and DJ's are predominantly focused on retail sales, they seem to have only listed the more popular fragrances online. A trip to the CBD would be most appropriate. Since they are yet to invent smell-o-vision, it's also only way you can try out some new scents.

Myer CBD Melb has the niche lines and Mecca inside - the other stores and online doesn't.

DJ's Melb does have Creed.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    DJ's Melb does have Creed.
    The lady I spoke to, the other day, at Melbourne David Jones said that they don't stock Creed. I'll probably double check that sometime soon.
    Last edited by quislor; 27th July 2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: "Myer David Jones"

Melbourne DJ's does have not have creeds. They only have Amouage, Lubin, Costume National, Keiko, Robert Piguet, Tom ford PB, that's the last time I checked which was like a week ago. I live three blocks away from Peony and I can assure you that a huge stock of niche

That's really odd. Someone got me Creed samples from DJs Melb only a few months back.

I'm going to ask what's going on. Seems very strange to get and remove Creed from the store that quickly.

My guess is that the Melbourne Creed came from Harrold's menswear in Collins St.

I was wrong about DJ's Melb getting Creed.

They were supposed to, and even had Aventus samples for a little while, but the pin got pulled.

They were supposed to, and even had Aventus samples for a little while, but the pin got pulled.
    I wonder why? Creed seems to be doing well at DJ's in Sydney.

i wished DJ's Melb had some Creed for me to smell...
    i guess they don't have enough counter space for it.

Apology accepted.

*bump*

Guys do you know if DJ/Myer in Melbourne (CBD) stock Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle or Bond no.9 ?
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    *bump*

Guys do you know if DJ/Myer in Melbourne (CBD) stock Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle or Bond no.9 ?
    Mecca Cosmetics in Myer have Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle but no NO Bonds

DJs used to carry Bond No9; I am less certain about currently (haven't been to Melbourne this year, which is most unusual).

I'll just add to the thread tho; and mention Chadstone for the Chanel boutique where you can try Les Exclusifs.

Went past Mecca cosmetics today, strange I never noticed it through all my visits to Myer in the CBD.
    It was like heaven when I saw Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens, Le Labo.

Smelt all of them for the very first time after reading heaps about them.

The last time I saw Bond for sale in Oz, was in DJ's Sydney CBD store. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

The uninformed SA from DJ's on Elizabeth street told me BONDS have been discontinued. I giggled

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    DJs used to carry Bond No9; I am less certain about currently (haven't been to Melbourne this year, which is most unusual).

I'll just add to the thread tho; and mention Chadstone for the Chanel boutique where you can try Les Exclusifs.
    Don't forget the Chanel boutique in Collins St. also for Les Exclusives. The Chadstone store is good to know as they carry the 75ml, which the city store doesn't.

Hello
    The boutique in Flinders Lane called Christine, which is actually known for carrying ladies luxury accessories carries a good selection of fragrances, among them (I think) Creed. Worth a call?!?

Any men's fragrances ?

I will check it out and come back, Inc0gnito

A little off topic, but with Christmas/Boxing day being not too far away, where do you think would be the best place to shop for a bargain ?

Do Myer/David Jones cut their prices significantly, or not really ?

They tend to have boxed sets on sale, but usually only on the main stream scents. Still expect to pay full whack for the niche products.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabel View Post
    Hello
    The boutique in Flinders Lane called Christine, which is actually known for carrying ladies luxury accessories carries a good selection of fragrances, among them (I think) Creed. Worth a call?!?
    Thanks for that Elizabel. But let's be clear for any unsuspecting male that intends to visit. First anyone intending to visit this store must be Sherlock Holmes. It is very discretely small, down stairs from the footpath and behind and interior door. I suspect that not many if any males would venture beyond this very girly (in a very artful and seductive way of course) exterior. Consequently, any further information regarding the fragrances on offer would be most welcome. My daughter will be visiting at Christmas. And welcome to the forum; a few more Melbournians and we might demand our own portal.

Thanks for that Elizabel. But let's be clear for any unsuspecting male that intends to visit. First anyone intending to visit this store must be Sherlock Holmes. It is very discretely small, down stairs from the footpath and behind and interior door. I suspect that not many if any males would venture beyond this very girly (in a very artful and seductive way of course) exterior. Consequently, any further information regarding the fragrances on offer would be most welcome. My daughter will be visiting at Christmas. And welcome to the forum; a few more Melbournians and we might demand our own portal.
    Thank you, Melvournis!

In the interest of sparing you fellas the trip into this very girly boutique distinctly aimed at women, I well get in there quick smart and report back!

Elizabel

- - - Updated - - -

Any men's fragrances ?
    Hello All,
    So, in the interest of providing correct data, I paid a visit to Christine and can report the following:

YES, YES, YES to Men's Creed!

I took notes to ensure accuracy - at the moment they stock:

Original Santal
    Original Vetiver
    Virgin Island Water
    Neroli Savage
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tabarome Millisime
    Millisime Imperial
    Erolfa
    Bois du Portugal
    Aventus
    Himalaya
    Silver Mountain Water
    Royal Water

The bottles are 75ml, EdP, ranging between $259-279

and if that isn't enough they also stock the 250th Anniversary Edition....250ml bottles...$965 each....

The ladies have assurred me that they would welcome any man with open arms to the store....

I hope this is helpful...and I hope you all get some wonderful fragrances.

I think I was nearly high on Green Irish Tweed and almost bought a new handbag, so I hurried out of there.

Elizabel

Wow! That's news inded. Good work Elizabel. Now to work on the necessary hutzpah.

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! (Excuse the over excitement), but wow. That is like music to my ears.

Now us fellas need to find a way to get in there :P
    Last edited by inc0gnito; 25th October 2012 at 01:11 PM.

Update: Went past a few days ago and tried out nearly all of the Creed's. Very quiet shop, very helpful staff.

Has anyone run into L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme ?
    Last edited by inc0gnito; 3rd November 2012 at 09:14 AM.

Has anyone run into L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme ?
    I had difficulty buying the extreme here in Oz, so I purchased it online from OS.

I prefer the EDT than the extreme, I have both.
    If I can find where to get some small vials, I'd gladly send you some to try.

I've had luck with moderate niche discounts at Mecca in Boxing Day sales (some of the CdGs are a bit whack to move units in Melbs I guess, but I don't expect this to happen with any of the Malles or Le Labos), and have seen both Peony and Kleins reduce prices considerably when they cease stocking scents from a house.

the Myer perfume hall in the middle of the ground floor is about to offer L'Artisan gift sets of I think 3 and 4 x 15ml size scents. nice selections too

I'm hoping there's going to be some crazy reductions when Christmas and Boxing day comes around.

Blog Entries

As a Melbournian, and a niche enthusiast, I second a majority of the suggestions here.

Myer in the CBD, in the beauty hall, stocks Keiko Mecheri, Histoires de Parfums, Atelier Cologne, Caron, L'Artisan, Frapin, Parfum d'Empire, Carthusia etc.

DJs in the CBD carry Amouage, Robert Piguet, Acqua di Parma, Annick Goutal, Costume National, Tom Ford, Juliette Has A Gun, Lubin etc.

Mecca in both the Myer CBD and elsewhere usually stocks Serge Lutens, Le Labo, Tocca, Comme des Garcons etc.

Peony Melbourne in Auburn has a wide range of niche including Brecourt, Creed, Fragonard, James Heeley, Miller Harris, Pure Distance and The Different Company.

Klein's Perfumery in Fitzroy carries Penhaligon's, Tokyo Milk, Nasomatto, Acca Kappa, Carthusia, Demeter, Miller et Bertaux.

Paint n Powder in Bourke Street Mall carries some vintage and rare fragrances including Molinard, Caron and Guerlain.

Paint n Powder on High in Malvern is also worth a look. The woman that owns this store is friendly and helpful with a wide range including Creed, Guerlain and Chanel.

The Lab Perfumery in Carlton has a small but lovely range of Fragonard, Ineke and Miller Harris.

In Clayton, there is a duty-free store that carries many discontinued and hard-to-find fragrances like Alexander McQueen, Clinique Simply, Burberry Brit Red and Brit Gold.

Also JR's Duty Free in Swanston Street is a good place to test fragrances, and the last time I was there they had the limited edition, Eau de Fleurs range from Chloe.

Thanks for that great overview of the significant Melbourne perfume outlets Blood-orange.

Does Peony in Melbourne have a tester of Puredistance M that you can spray? I'd rather wear a fragrance for a few hours rather than just smell it on a card.

I'm heading down to Melbourne this afternoon for the weekend and I'm planning on going to Peony tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Timdoeswell,

She'd most certainly have a tester. She'll totally understand the need to test on your skin first.

Well I made it to Peony on Saturday (only just arrived back in Canberra an hour ago).

I didn't spot Puredistance to test, but didn't ask for it as there was so much to test that I'd never smelled before.
    Naomi Goodsir, Olfactive Studio and Arquiste were three ranges from which I'd not smelled a single fragrance, and Jill was extremely patient and accommodating when I wanted to test so many of them.
    She is genuinely passionate (and very knowledgable) about fragrances, and her range is terrific. We chatted for a good while about fragrances, and I loved every minute of it.

I came away with a bottle of the very smooth and floral Cuir Velours by Naomi Goodsir, although Anima Dulcis by Arqusite, Chambre Noire by Olfactive and Frapin's Caravelle Epicee were all under strong consideration. Jill knew I was tossing up primarily between CV and CN, and she gave me a tester set of all 4 Olfactive Studio fragrances to take away.

I missed testing any of The Different Company and Fragonard ranges, too - they slipped my mind, as there are loads of fragrances to try.

I'll be visiting Peony each time I'm in Melbourne - it's the best fragrance store I've seen in Australia.

As an aside, when I went to the city to test the new Sugar and Spice Jo Malones, I ducked across to Myer's Mecca and smelled the EDP version of L'Ombre dans L'eau. Really very good - the leafy opening lasts even longer than in the EDT. I didn't test on my skin, though.

I was also very tempted to buy Byredo's Mink....damn that's a delightfully skanky fragrance. One for the MKK lovers, I feel.

You 'do well Tim', to visit Peony from Canberra. I'm here and I keep putting it off. I must visit soon. Thanks for sharing the experience.

- - - Updated - - -

You 'do well Tim', to visit Peony from Canberra. I'm here and I keep putting it off. I must visit soon. Thanks for sharing the experience.
    Hehe I was down for another reason, but I wasn't gonna miss a chance to visit.
    I'm just annoyed I can't be there on the evening of the 11th - they've got Carlos Huber, of Arquiste (though he worked with parfumieres for the fragrance) visiting the store.
    A signed bottle of Anima Dulcis or Boutonniere would be pretty sweet

I called in to Peony today, as I hadn't been there for a while.
    I ended up buying some Creed Aventus. I nearly bought the Agarwoud by Heeley.......that was very nice too.

Nice going John E.! Reminds me to pay Peony a visit - so lovely :-)

Hope to see you in a couple of weeks for the sniff together, or was it this one you're out of town for?

R

I will be away for the next one, sorry. Have a great time.