Code of Conduct

Default A simple FAST, CHEAP, and EFFECTIVE way to protect your precious old perfumes (pictures)

HOW TO PROTECT AND PRESERVE OLD PERFUMES in "SPLASH" BOTTLES (tutorial with pictures)

Okay my friends, I'd want to share with you a secret. Well, not a secret since it's well-known by many people, but seldom used!

A small secret for "preserving" perfumes for years and years...
    I use it since 1997 , and this trick (or a similar one) *should* be used, now and in the immediate future....

(a foreword: I'm a Biologist with chemical background, and I worked many years in scientific labs. So I think to have a little experience in chemical stuff....
    ...and it could be useful when applied to perfumes, huh ? )

You have two methods:
    1- the small caps
    2- the "Parafilm":
    it's a very cheap "paraffin tape", we used in our labs to *PERFECTLY* isolate any substance.

Let's go with some explanation!

Here we have tre great perfumes from the past, all splash bottles.
    - An extraordinary KOUROS by Yves Saint Laurent, year 1981 (one of the first bottles ever produced). It needs no further explanations....
    - An invaluable "TIFFANY for Men", vintage 1st edition, the Jacques Polge's masterpiece, reported as "...a Chanel better than Chanel", year 1989, maybe one of the last ones to -reportedly only for vintage bottles- contain real "amber gris" from whales.
    - A bottle of rare "Vivara" pour femme by Emilio Pucci, in poor conditions, mid Seventies.

THE SMALL CAPS:
    basically you have to buy small caps of different diameter, and use it to "close" bottles.

Firstly, you must check if the perfume cap is "flat" inside, as in this case. (Vivara by Pucci)

Now, you can "insert" gently the cap with its appropriate diameter.

And here's the bottle with the small cap finally inserted

It's perfect! There is no leaking!

Now you can put the classic cap over the small one

That's all! Splash bottle is protected, and you should only store in an a dark, cool place.
    PLEASE NOTE: in this way we basically put a double cap on the bottle: it will slow the evaporation, but NOT avoid it completely.

But what happen when the cap is NOT flat? (TIFFANY)

There are lot of problems for using small caps! and unfortunately, these classical perfume caps don't preserve from evaporation.

Now you have to use the "PARAFILM", a common laboratory tool used for preserve and isolate any substance.

Basically it's a VERY extensible and adhesive paraffin film

with lot of other properties, it's very useful.

To prepare a "sheet", simply separe from protective paper and use scissors

Here you can see its incredible extensive properties

You can extense it quite a lot without breaking it

an example with a cup full with water.

Since PARAFILM is very ADHESIVE it's easy to cover the entire cup.

Et voila! no leaking!

Seen from bottom

not a single drop of water (or gas, vapor etc.) is missing

So, cut a small sheet of PARAFILM....

and completely isolate the UPPER part your precious bottle of TIFFANY for MEN

REMEMBER to leave the film edge non-aderhent: it will be more easy remove the film in the future.

Similarly you will do with your priceless bottle of KOUROS. since there is a flat cap you should use the small caps; otherwise you can use the PARAFILM if you don't find a cap with identical diameter.

ET VOILA !!

But...Hurry up! last splash bottles were produced in 1999-2000, and so many perfumes from the past are still evaporating and losting some marvelous note!
    And remember to store perfumes in a dark, cool place.

But now, your precious splash bottles are preserved for decades to come.
    You will be able to open these bottles in front of your sons, daughter, nephews...
    ...and you will be able to tell them: smell it, my darling, these are the ancient perfumes from our past days..."
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 25th April 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Default Re: A simple FAST, CHEAP, and EFFECTIVE way to protect your precious old perfumes (pictures)

Interesting - thank you.
    My old Hermes bottles always had those small push-in caps as standard.

Default Re: A simple FAST, CHEAP, and EFFECTIVE way to protect your precious old perfumes (pictures)

I admire your resolve. I would not have the patience to use the parafilm.

unfortunately, in our western world we will have to become more and more patient each day

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Hednic - Good judgement as always - if not u'll end up buying a truck load of para-film for your collection

Great post!

Great info! Thank you.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I'm sure it will help many in the years to come.

Anyone know where to find different sizes of the small caps?
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Thank you again Mr. Moreau! You always have interesting and useful info regarding these type of matters. I always enjoy reading your threads!