Code of Conduct

Default A question on top 5 colognes for current preferences and my age

Dear Basenoters,

After reading through this forum many times, combing through articles directed at what chicks like / what gets the most compliments from chicks (With the provided stickies of course) and attempting to summarise the most agreed upon fragrance in each of those threads, only to realise that they were far too long, and mainly aimed at people quite a bit older than myself (Meaning, not many people my age are interested in the subtleties of fragrances afaik), so I decided I'd just ask the question and get an appropriate response. I'm fairly new to the fragrance scene, so all I can tell you is that I'm looking for a scent that would appeal to people in their late teens (Like me). As far as what I like, I've always liked the scent of rosemary, although I don't know how often it is used in colognes and how good it smells in one. I like natural scents a lot, moss, trees, woody scents, fresh air (If that's a scent), petrichor, citruses and leather (Not sure if that fits into the whole natural thing :P ). I think in fragrance terminology those would fit into aquatic-fresh and woods...? Although I wouldn't really know :P I thought that rather than asking everyone what cologne fits best with these, a top 5 would provide better comparison and freedom of choice for those who respond. And while I would be very happy for absolutely any responses posted on this thread, I was wondering if there was any basenoters in particular in their early 20's or late teens? Thanks in advance for reading this

EDIT: After thinking about it a little more, I realised I hadn't really based my above preferences on the scents I like, but rather the scents I had smelled in cologne on the people around me and liked, which significantly narrowed my viewpoint, as not many people around me wear cologne :P I'm really open to anything at the moment, as I develop my own preference...

~ Odeur
    Last edited by Odeur; 20th July 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A question on top 5 colognes for current preferences and my age

Ya I'm currently in my late teens, people find it strange that me being in my late teens I have a passion for fragrances and know a lot. I know most teens don't own niche and have any clue about fragrances in general but I love this hobby and love sharing what I know to others. Anywa although your description isn't quite my favourite, I think this would do.

Hermes-Un Jardin Sur le Nil

Chanel-Bleu de Chanel

Hermes- Voyage d'Hermes

Dior- Eau Savage

Creed- Green Irish Tweed (I know it's niche but I think you'd thoroughly enjoy it if you tried it)

Definitely not in my 20s but agree with Bleu de Chanel mentioned above.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, since i'm not that old(25), i'll tell you what has got me the most compliments over the past few years.

givenchy-play
    ysl- la nuit
    creed- green irish tweed
    abercrombie fierce was always a winner for younger girls
    and as of more recently creed-aventus

i've mainly stuck to designer fragrances up until about 6 months ago

Thanks for the responses guys Green Irish Tweed seems to be a winner among other basenoters so I'll definitely test that out... What say you of River Gauche and Terre d'Hermes... Or are they too mature for my use?

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odeur View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys Green Irish Tweed seems to be a winner among other basenoters so I'll definitely test that out... What say you of River Gauche and Terre d'Hermes... Or are they too mature for my use?
    Both are good choices with Terre d'Hermes in particular being a superb fragrance. I would not worry about "age appropriate." There are no age ranges for fragrances as far as I am concerned... A fragrance either smells good or it doesn't and TdH smells very, very good.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Your nose and your immediate reaction to the scent will tell you both, whether you like the scent, and if you can comfortably wear it.

If you shave, Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent could be worn.

And, do try:

Play by Givenchy
    Beyond Paradise for Men by Estee Lauder
    Play Intense by Givenchy
    Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent
    cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein
    Oxygene Homme by Lanvin
    1 Million by Paco Rabanne
    Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

&

Post Thanks / Like

Green Irish Tweed is always a winner, and for good reason.

I personally believe Terre D'Hermes is a touch too old for someone in his late teens, just my opinion.

And I'd definitely throw He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood into this conversation. Read about that one, I think it'd be up your alley - and you can find it for cheap at an online discounter like fragrancenet

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Bleu de Chanel and 1 Million. Note also the latter is being pushed quite heavily right now so chances are you'll bump into someone wearing it, especially if you're into the clubbing scene.

Also try the Chanel Allure Homme flankers, Sport and Edition Blanche. Although GIT is considered wearable by all ages, it's a sort of fragrance feels out of place if it is mismatched with your personality or maturity level. Plus, don't forget Cool Water is a good, better priced alternative (and girls and women adore it). If you must get a Creed though, I'd recommend Erolfa over GIT for a younger guy.

Rochas Man
    YSL L'Homme
    Midnight in Paris

Top 3 compliment getters in my wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more than a decade past my 20's but Green Irish Tweed snagged me quite a compliment just today from a young lady in her mid 20's. Just an all-around excellent fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

For me I'd have to say Aqua di Gio, Boss Bottled, Versace Pour Homme and D&G Light Blue Pour Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

Acqua Di Gio for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Acqua Di Gio for sure. It smells great and girls love it.

Do you think there are any CDG scents that would be appropriate? And any opinion here on L'eau D'Issey pour Home... That seemed to be quite popular on th site except for a few who hated it... Thanks a tonne for the responses guys Btw, Broxwood, I noticed you're listed as Australian... Know of any online stores that ship here?

Green Irish Tweed and Aventus by Creed are definitely expensive, but very much worth testing out, as it's hard to find too many people who don't like them.
    Bleu de Chanel seems pretty popular in your age range, although test it on your skin, as the incense note came off VERY strong on mine and put me off.
    I agree with the above poster about the Chanel Allure & Flanker line. Most of them are very fresh, clean, simple fragrances that seem to get compliments from the "younger" crowd. In particular, I prefer Allure Homme Sport Extreme most out of the line.
    There are many, but the best thing you can do is got to some department stores, or a Sephora (if you have one by you) and test a bunch out. Narrow down by the opening, but my advice is to ALWAYS skin test any you're considering first. There are plenty that I like early on, but then as they dry-down they become pretty terrible on me. Best of Luck man!!!