Code of Conduct

Thread: Amouage Opus V

Default Amouage Opus V

should have hit the flagship stores today..................just itching to have a smell of this, might even be a blind buy, when I find it online.....

Default Re: Amouage Opus V

It'd be nice if any of the members in Dubai/Oman could try it and give us a quick review

Post Thanks / Like

Ok will try to pass by the Dubai Mall boutique tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to test this today and this is definitely worthy of my wardrobe to being the first Library collection that I think I will own.

My $0.02 of this fragrance is that it is a combination of Jubilation 25 (Womens) and Epic Man in a 1:2 ratio. The top notes are a little cloging initially, however, it turns dry in the Middle and drydown notes.

hmmm, very interesting.....

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to get samples to distribute on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfumesraffy has samples you can buy online.

Quote Originally Posted by RSharma314 View Post
    I got to test this today and this is definitely worthy of my wardrobe to being the first Library collection that I think I will own.

My $0.02 of this fragrance is that it is a combination of Jubilation 25 (Womens) and Epic Man in a 1:2 ratio. The top notes are a little cloging initially, however, it turns dry in the Middle and drydown notes.
    That sounds truly heavenly. I was thinking a more masculine version of Jubilation 25 could be my holy grail.

So, is there actually a (lemony?) frankincense present in Opus V? Myrrh? The notes list is rather vague - I was expecting a woody and dirty iris with a dark rose/jasmine backdrop moreso than what you've described. Any more details would be much appreciated!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

I did a whole wearing today of Opus V with three sprays. And today, I wasn't able to see any associations to Epic until the last drydown after 10+ hours - so what I said above is not correct. Today I don't see much of Epic Man in Opus V.

The first thing that came to my mind after spraying Opus V was Jubilation 25 (Womens), even though I realize the listed notes are not even close between the two fragrances. I have a vial of pure Orris root CO2, and was able to pick that up easily in the middle notes, however, the Jasmine/Rose was more prominent than the Orris root in that phase. The drydown, on the other hand, (unfortunately, for me) is very similar to Jubilation XXV with their use of ISO Super, which remains throught the life of Opus V. The Frankincense is defn there, and gives an illusion of a bright fruity Frankincense.

My nose is not as developed as many of you guys here, however, for me Opus V is very (VERY!) similar to Jubilation 25/XXV. I think this fragrance leans more towards the feminine side rather than being unisex, and I'm thinking this would evolve better on my wife instead. Sorry guys, eventhough the notes sound great, I am not too overly impressed. Maybe I need to give Opus V another chance perhaps, as Amouage fragrances tends to grow on you.

Ok these are my initial impressions and I'm sorry to say...they are not good...whatsoever. Thanks to my dear friend hedonist222 for sending me samples! The first words that I uttered as the jus hit my skin was...ewwww!! It's extremely sharp, generic in a fruity, woody-amber, Drakar Noir-ish way and comes off really, really masculine. I'm sorry but I have to say this is the worst Amouage to date! If I really concentrate, I sometimes get an civet-orris vibe (it's only redeeming factor), but that's all muddled under all the spicy, fruity genericness. Call me crazy, but I see a big resemblance to my arch nemesis-Lacoste Challenge. Yup, I said. God, it's so bad.
    Obviously, I have to give this a second and third testing to verify my observations, but I doubt that they're going to change...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts scent. I know your taste in perfumes and what you've been exposed to in terms of environment and culture, so i easily relate to your observations.

ok, this needs a test....on the one hand we have it leaning to the feminine side, and on the other we have really masculine and fruity.........hmmm......very interesting!!

I smelt this today and while it's not necessarily the worst Opus release so far (that award goes to Opus II) it's a little better than Opus IV (although the opening isn't as amazing).

The iris is there from the very beginning but it soon burns off to reveal the agarwood and a tart fruity accord. Based on my sketchy testing of it, for the majority of its duration, I get a jammy-oud combination a la Montale's Aoud Queen Roses, Aoud Flowers or something of that ilk (but better quality, of course).

From time to time, I could also detect an Epic Woman vibe. Sillage is moderate but it's too soon to say anything about its longevity.
    Last edited by Trebor; 22nd March 2011 at 07:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just applied Opus V on my left arm. This is absolutely gorgeous! The most prominent note I can detect is iris. Opus V and III are without a doubt my favorites from the Opus Library Collection!

Edit: Going to the development of V, despite the fact that this is really good, I'm afraid that it wouldn't mix very well with my skin. I could already see where this is going. Have to test this again more thoroughly. The III blends with my skin very well!
    Last edited by volley2; 19th September 2011 at 08:46 AM.

The synthetic woods in the base of this smell cheap to me. Cheap and horrifically strong. I hated the rum note, too, which just seemed out of place. A boozy and suggestive opening that then fades into a soft iris, and eventually that fades away to reveal a bitter and raspy synthetic woodiness? What a mess.

Also, the scent smells clinical in the worst way to my nose. Truly mechanical, as if the formula was composed entirely by a computer - a computer that was trying to do some kind of olfactory self-portrait.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Sculpture. The best part of V is only in the opening. From there, it just goes downhill.

I loved it to begin with, loved the boozyness and rosiness of it. It has mega longevity and its projection is humongous, this lead to me getting absolutely sick of it after 4 hours on my arm. I do disagree with you, SculptureOfSoul, I don't find it overly synthetic or a mess, but I do understand the "horrifically strong" description. I think if this were more subtle with the woods and perhaps the booze and maybe ampted up the softer rose notes it may be a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I loved it to begin with, loved the boozyness and rosiness of it. It has mega longevity and its projection is humongous, this lead to me getting absolutely sick of it after 4 hours on my arm. I do disagree with you, SculptureOfSoul, I don't find it overly synthetic or a mess, but I do understand the "horrifically strong" description. I think if this were more subtle with the woods and perhaps the booze and maybe ampted up the softer rose notes it may be a little better.
    I should have stated that I believe I am hyperosmic to one of the chemicals in the base and that's why I'm reading it as a synthetic mess. A particular chemical REALLY stands out to my nose and is just grating.

While talking w/ Christopher Chong he mentioned that he intended this scent to be more synthetic, especially in the base, as it ties into the theme (fusing the old and traditional with the new and contemporary), and his burgeoning interest in truly synthetic and avant-garde scents.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

double post
    Last edited by Roc_Xel; 14th November 2011 at 05:44 AM.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Mostly agree.

Went to NYC for the week end and one of my close friend gave me a HUGE decant of it as she works in the industry.
    Honnestly this has to be the strongest perfume I ever came across. Black Aoud sillage or longevity is not even half of what Opus V ones are.

I love it on my skin, love the iris and the rose. For some reason my skin always "pushes" the rose notes a lot (which happen to be probably my favorite note and definitely in my top 3), but can't spray more than 1 or 2 sprays. I put it yesterday after a night out at like 3.30 am before going to a restaurant open all night . Went to bed then woke up this morning and I could smell it perfectly on my arm, and I mean perfectly. Also, only did one spray when getting out of the club, and it was overwhelming in the cabs and restaurant. Simply so powerful I ve never seen that.

Flew back from NYC to Miami today. Sprayed twice today at 11 am after showering the one of yesterday, one chest/neck and one on the wirsts, and at 1.30 am right now, 15 hours later, I still smell it a lot and had waves of it while wating for my luggage in Miami 2 hours ago.

I am very impressed, and love the rose. And it is probably the first time in my life that longevity or sillage is an issue because it s just too much. But I m sure I can deal with that.

This will be the only Opus I am going to buy, had not been impressed at all by any of them so far (whereas I love Amouage). But this one does impress me A LOT
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Giving Opus V my second wearing and yes, it is STRONGLY synthetic. The fragrance, while being pretty enjoyable throught, suffers from a thick note of woody amber that shows up during the middle phase and takes definitely over in the drydown. Overall I'm still quite liking the stuff but I'll need another couple of wearings before I come with a more precise virdict. Woody amber is very hit or miss with me. It's initially quite appealing for its incensey-dry-woody quality but it can easily turn into a suffocating bomb in no time...Right now I'm leaning towards a positive review but I want to spend more time with the stuff...

Any fresher opinions anyone?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I cracked open my spanking new bottle of Opus V and wore it today. I agree it is very, very synthetic but what's weird is that's what I hated about it in the first place and now that's what I love about it. The fruity, cold iris in the top-middle notes are amazing but the transition into the synthetic drydown is fascinating actually. It turns into a no holds barred, menacing, synthetic, sharp, woody drydown in the blink of an eye. I've come to love the schizophrenic nature of this scent. I detect the same woody amber is a few Montales as well, Moon Aoud and Roses Musk in particular. I predict Opus V would smell amazing in the coldest of temperatures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I cracked open my spanking new bottle of Opus V and wore it today. I agree it is very, very synthetic but what's weird is that's what I hated about it in the first place and now that's what I love about it. The fruity, cold iris in the top-middle notes are amazing but the transition into the synthetic drydown is fascinating actually. It turns into a no holds barred, menacing, synthetic, sharp, woody drydown in the blink of an eye. I've come to love the schizophrenic nature of this scent. I detect the same woody amber is a few Montales as well, Moon Aoud and Roses Musk in particular. I predict Opus V would smell amazing in the coldest of temperatures.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I've come to love the schizophrenic nature of this scent. I detect the same woody amber is a few Montales as well, Moon Aoud and Roses Musk in particular.
    Exactly Scent and, believe it or not, not only in the two Montale you mentioned...Kokorico, Duro (the Nasomatto) and Potion have the same synthetic woody base (yes), as well as Jubilation XXV (but way much less overdone). Opus V opening it's just grand, the iris-rose-jasmine accord is absolutely stunning. I still kinda love the drydown but my concern is that it will become boring after a couple of wearings...let's see.
    Last edited by alfarom; 13th August 2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: typos

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

The iris and orris opening is very nice indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

I get all my samples from Luckyscent when I order a bottle. Maybe you can't order from luckyscent in your country. My notes on this one were: "green leaves, lipstick, and that burn-my-nose dry-down thing that I don't like about most Amouages." Even though I gave it highest marks in both categories of fragrance and longevity, the burn-my-nose thing is a deal-breaker. It's like someone shoved a whole handful of rosemary into my nostrils. But I find that it most Amouages, so I am not saying to really factor that in for Opus V. I am a real dummy about being able to notice "notes," so I have to rely on what things smell like to me, instead of what they actually may be.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Love it conceptually, hate it in reality. That synthetic note in the drydown... please let me chew on some broken glass or something instead.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!