Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Every Scent I Love gets discontinued and I'm DESPERATE

I am in need of some serious help. First of all, I am pretty sure I do not even like perfume. It also seems that the only scents I LOVE...get discontinued. I am MORTIFIED to even tell you what the scents I so love are, as they are so Dime Store it is pathetic. However I need and am begging for help. I am AWARE of Ebay...and have kept myself in supply of my favorites for years, but the pot is empty and I need some help. So..Fragrance 1#(sadly) is Almay. Yes, like the Cosemetics, they made a fragrance and it was disontinued (probably in the 90's) it is very Powdery, and very clean, almost soapy smelling. Fragrance #2 was Botanical by Naturistics(and my absolute favorite) again, very clean smelling. I HATE MUSK, FLOWERS, and most traditional Perfume. I have InnisFree (purchased that in Dublin) it is nice, but just not exactly what I'm looking for, also Tressor is Ok. But I want to LOVE my fragrance. They also disscontinued my husbands Fragrance Gucci Nobile...But we found an extremely good copy...it doesn't last as long, but it smells almost exactly the same. If anyone has any idea what these fragrances were like, and can suggest something I would be forever greatful. I prefer the smell of Finese Hairspray to all the fragrances I have sampled over the years...That would get terribly sticky. I know someone on this forum can help me!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Every Scent I Love gets discontinued and I'm DESPERATE

Hello and welcome.

First off, a quick ebay search turns up quite a lot of Almay hypoallergenic cologne. Is that the one you meant? I searched for "Almay perfume." You can find it pretty cheap.

Second, I don't know what Almay smelled like, so it's hard to know what to suggest. But I'm tempted to say you might like to try some iris fragrances, as they tend to be powdery, clean, and almost cosmetic-y if that makes any sense.

Top suggestion would be Infusion d'Iris by Prada. The Eau de Toilette is very light, translucent, pretty, and not at all flowery. Would also suggest Chanel 19 Poudre, which is very green with a big iris note. And this may sound odd, but also try Dior Homme (just the regular, not the Sport or the Intense).

Good luck!

Take this opportunity to explore new pastures. If you come across a bottle of Almay or Botanical, great. Buy it. But in the meantime, you need to start dating again.

For non-perfume perfumes, I would suggest trying something like "Gendarme" or Mugler's "Cologne", both of which are usually found in the men's section. Both are unisex and smell freshly pressed and dry cleaned. You can't go wrong with either if you need an immediate place holder until you find something you are in love with. "Jennifer Aniston" and "Bond No. 9 Fire Island" are both very clean. I love Heeley "Cardinal" because it is very clean, sort of like beams of sunlight through stained glass.

But whatever you do, start sniffing. This industry launches about 1,000 new fragrances each year. There is definitely something for you out there. Just don't compare everything to your long , lost love. Nothing can compete with the memory. Let each new scent be an opportunity to find something new and different to love.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you might like Estee Lauder's White Linen, it's very clean smelling.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Summer Nights, sorry to hear that everything you like fades away. However, it has been said: You need to smell new things, and this community can be a terrific guide - if you give more or less "precise" information on what you like, people will start making even better suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Nights View Post
    They also disscontinued my husbands Fragrance Gucci Nobile...But we found an extremely good copy...it doesn't last as long, but it smells almost exactly the same.
    I'm very curious what your husband uses as substitute for Nobile. Would you please have a quick look at the bottle and tell me? Thanks in advance.

Welcome! Perhaps En Passant by Frederic Malle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Hello and welcome.

First off, a quick ebay search turns up quite a lot of Almay hypoallergenic cologne. Is that the one you meant? I searched for "Almay perfume." You can find it pretty cheap.

Second, I don't know what Almay smelled like, so it's hard to know what to suggest. But I'm tempted to say you might like to try some iris fragrances, as they tend to be powdery, clean, and almost cosmetic-y if that makes any sense.

Top suggestion would be Infusion d'Iris by Prada. The Eau de Toilette is very light, translucent, pretty, and not at all flowery. Would also suggest Chanel 19 Poudre, which is very green with a big iris note. And this may sound odd, but also try Dior Homme (just the regular, not the Sport or the Intense).

Good luck!
    Prada was the first thought that came into my head to replace Almay.

I agree with all of the comments above. Its true there's always a new light airy fragrance begin launched.

Here are some of the light fragrances that may do the trick.

As mentioned, Gendarme is a light crisp slightly citrus fragrance that smells like you just stepped out of the shower and used a really great soap.

D&G Light Blue - Its so light you'll have to re-apply a few times a day but no heavy florals or musks.

Bvlgari Pour Femme Eau de Parfum - This is light floral mostly an iris/violet/orchid accord, again very light and breezy

Fresh - CITRON DE VIGNE EAU DE PARFUM - This is a very light citus breezy, sparkly, champagne inspired fragrance.

Lastly, you might want to try some of the CLEAN offerings. Their whole line is based on that freshly washed out of the shower soapy appraoch.

Hope that helps, sorry you lost your favorite.
    Roberta Andrade-Gringorten
    Perfumer/Founder - Elemental Scents LLC
    Phone: 617-431-4459
    Email: perfumer@elementalscents.com
    Web: www.elementalscents.com