Code of Conduct

Question The Official "IS IT BEING DISCONTINED ?" Thread

I was recently very grateful to those basenotes members who brought up the issue of the possible discontinuation of Gucci Pour Homme and Gucci Pour Homme II.
    I am hoping that future rumours of fragrances being discontinued will use this thread as a discussion point.
    It helps us all to have a little advanced warning if something´s about to be axed......!

If you are suspicious that a fragrance, or for that matter an extrait version of a fragrance is being discontinued please post here. Thanks.
    I´ve learned so much from my mistakes that I´m thinking of making some more.....

Default Re: The Official "IS IT BEING DISCONTINED ?" Thread

Spicebomb? lol jk
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Kenzo Power is officially discontinued. So sayeth KenzoUSA.

I wish Kenzo would discontinue their house.

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Thanks for sharing !
    I´ve learned so much from my mistakes that I´m thinking of making some more.....

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    I wish Kenzo would discontinue their house.
    HA! WELL Said Sir.

I've been hearing on Basenotes that Tom Ford Amber Absolute and l'Artisan Tea for Two are discontinued. However, I still see them both being sold online on their official retail websites.

Amber Absolute is still available on Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom's website. Tea for Two is available on the l'Artisan's website (when you select GBP as the currency).

Other than SA sources, anyone hear further details about the discontinuation? I own bottles of both, but I'm just curious.

CK One Shock is another that has been rumoured to be in the firing line.

I heard the Tom Ford Amber Absolute was only being discontinued in the 250ml/8.4fl oz flacon but that the 50ml and 100ml versions would continue on as usual (it's one of the more popular TF Private Blends so discontinuation wouldn't make much sense). I believe Amber Absolute contains a fair amount of expensive naturals and thus the 8.4oz flacon is probably not very cost effective given the value one receives with those larger quantity purchases. If someone has more info please share.

Also being discontinued: every Montale ever. All I'm saying is: stock up! Stormy weather ahead. ;p

Montale is shipping as per usual, according to my sources...

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    Montale is shipping as per usual, according to my sources...
    Really? That's great news if so...Any news on their website orders?

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I heard the Tom Ford Amber Absolute was only being discontinued in the 250ml/8.4fl oz flacon but that the 50ml and 100ml versions would continue on as usual (it's one of the more popular TF Private Blends so discontinuation wouldn't make much sense). I believe Amber Absolute contains a fair amount of expensive naturals and thus the 8.4oz flacon is probably not very cost effective given the value one receives with those larger quantity purchases. If someone has more info please share.
    Also being discontinued: every Montale ever. All I'm saying is: stock up! Stormy weather ahead. ;p

You answered my question before I even posted it! Is Amber Absolute considered a good seller? Also I hope the great Tobacco Vanille is never discontinued.

I have read that Creed's Green Valley is discontinued. I have the opportunity to buy a small bottle (1 oz) at my local Nordstrom for $140. How rare is it? I'd rather buy a larger bottle online if it is still available. Should I be jumping on this? Or are larger bottles still available online?
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Isn't Montale just changing the name to Talini or whatever that name is? Lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    This is one version of what was supposed to happen. I also heard the name would only change in certain countries and would remain Montale in other countries (that alone seems like a horrible business decision). I also heard it was merely a physical location move. Montale's communication has been awful and they said they'd start shipping beginning this month but not only has that not happened but there hasn't been nary a word on operations resuming. Not an email or web update or anything, everyone is being kept in the dark and that's not a good sign.

Whatever the case, it's clear that something amiss with Montale and there are legal issues/problems behind the scenes. I suppose one could simply cross their fingers and hope for the best but at this point I don't think it's the worst idea to stock up on your fav Montales right now.. better to be safe than sorry and end up having to get them on eBay for double/triple price. This situation has all the signs of the demise of a partnership.

This situation has all the signs of the demise of a partnership.
    I fear you might be right about this.

Honestly...if they are gone for good or soon to be, then the reason would have to be some kind of shady business practices...I don't need to support that, so I can live without them. If they do come back, I'll probably make a purchase though.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I heard it was Tachini! J/K :P

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I've been hearing on Basenotes that Tom Ford Amber Absolute and l'Artisan Tea for Two are discontinued. However, I still see them both being sold online on their official retail websites.

Amber Absolute is still available on Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom's website. Tea for Two is available on the l'Artisan's website (when you select GBP as the currency).

Other than SA sources, anyone hear further details about the discontinuation? I own bottles of both, but I'm just curious.

As far as Tea for Two is concerned, I had the intentions to purchase a bottle on my most recent trip to Chicago at Barney's. They carry the whole L'Artisan line and previously had Tea for Two, but on this recent visit they no longer had any in stock like before and also claimed it was discontinued.

Who knows, maybe this is just a US discontinuation and is being sold elsewhere. Beyond this, I don't have any further "proof."
    "The most beautiful sea hasn’t been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasn’t grown up yet. The most beautiful days we haven’t seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I haven’t said yet…"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

I hear that the ingredient cashmeran is next on the ifra hit list so stock up now if that's the case ?

ck one shock
    I just saw recently they have out a mini pocket spray - feel this is not discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I hear that the ingredient cashmeran is next on the ifra hit list so stock up now if that's the case ?
    That'd be surprising. I know cashmeran is used in all sorts of things from shampoo to soap to laundry sheets to you name it, I think it's one of the staples of the industry. Not sure if IFRA governs all these industries though.

Bang....Bang Bang

Both bite the dust.

Wait till they come out with BOOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I have read that Creed's Green Valley is discontinued. I have the opportunity to buy a small bottle (1 oz) at my local Nordstrom for $140. How rare is it? I'd rather buy a larger bottle online if it is still available. Should I be jumping on this? Or are larger bottles still available online?
    Jump on it immediately. Buy a larger size, if at all possible. Someday you will thank me for this great advice.

Please change the name of this to- The Official "HUGE LIST OF RUMORS" Thread.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

This is one version of what was supposed to happen. I also heard the name would only change in certain countries and would remain Montale in other countries (that alone seems like a horrible business decision). I also heard it was merely a physical location move. Montale's communication has been awful and they said they'd start shipping beginning this month but not only has that not happened but there hasn't been nary a word on operations resuming. Not an email or web update or anything, everyone is being kept in the dark and that's not a good sign.

Whatever the case, it's clear that something amiss with Montale and there are legal issues/problems behind the scenes. I suppose one could simply cross their fingers and hope for the best but at this point I don't think it's the worst idea to stock up on your fav Montales right now.. better to be safe than sorry and end up having to get them on eBay for double/triple price. This situation has all the signs of the demise of a partnership.
    In another thread a few days ago, there was some news of the reopening being pushed back until later in June, despite other reports that Montales weren't shipping to retailers. Whatever the case is, I already grabbed a couple of bottles that interested me.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    + 1

An official reformulation thread should help clear some of the inane clutter on the mens board

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Really? That's great news if so...Any news on their website orders?
    Info was from a wholesale distributor. I gather shipping "per usual" for Montale means fairly slowly. Last I heard the website was totally out of commission but they never had a real on-line store anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    An official reformulation thread should help clear some of the inane clutter on the mens board
    I do wonder why there is so much useless speculation about reformulations. Someone can just run the stuff through a gas chromatograph and settle the question scientifically. Then we would not only know IF the formula had changed we would know exactly HOW. The constant guesses are getting a bit tired...

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Is there anything on this tread besides rumors? It seems you never really know whether something has been discontinued until years after the fact and by then it is just about to be reissued again anyway. Meanwhile, the price has gone up to $600 on eBay but immediately crashes if you order because of the reissue. Then it turns out the reissue is a reformulation and the whole nonsense starts all over again...
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 8th June 2012 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Bang....Bang Bang

Both bite the dust.
    Interesting. I don't think Bang Bang ever even hit retail here in the US; I saw it at some online discounters but that's it. And Bang seems to be a brisk seller at TJ Maxx, so it would seem it can remain a profitable product if they allowed it to slip into a life as a discount bin staple, much like Azzaro, Giorgio, and the Halston scents. But perhaps they are discontinuing it in an effort to protect the brand's prestige.

Off-Topic:

IMO, Being discontined is far better than BADLY reformulated.
    " In a world of 1s and 0s...are you a zero, or The One? "

Quote Originally Posted by WAKASHIZUMA View Post
    Off-Topic:

IMO, Being discontined is far better than BADLY reformulated.
    Yes 100%

The drivel that is served up as Fahrenheit and M7 now wouldnt get a 2 star rating in my drobe.

Caron's Coup de Fouet
    Caron's Poivre
    Juicy Couture Dirty English
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Vetiver Pour Elle (Guerlain)
    Iris Ganache (Guerlain)

Both still available in some Guerlain outlets but production has ceased.

Bumping this thread with my own to scents: CK One Shock seems to be sold uninterruptedly and without further complication by online retailers, which means either nos discontinuation or, however, that important stockpiling was carried out

There's quite a few bottles of Gucci PH II at my local Nordstrom, but no Gucci PH I.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I bought a new 100ml bottle of Gucci PH II this morning. Its got a manufacture date of April 2012 but the whole sprayer mechanism is VERY different to the one on my year old GPH1.

I am immensely grateful for everyone´s input on this topic.
    ....and even if some of you think it´s no more than rumours, at least it gives us all the chance to get off our butts and make a few enquiries at the HQ of the said firms in our respective countries......and hopefully report back !

I'm curious about Mugler cologne. I've read contradicting posts about whether or not it is discontinued. I was at two stores yesterday and both told me it had been discontinued. However there are posts that say it isn't, and it is still on the official website for sale.

AA has never been a good seller for the PB line and was never offered in a 100 ML size. It from my understanding has been retired completely and the stock that is out right now is all that's left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    GV is vaulted and no longer in production. If you can find it buy it up.

Is Edition Blanche gone?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan D' Great View Post
    Is Edition Blanche gone?
    no,they just pulled it off retail shelves (macys, ect.) and is still being sold on chanel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    AA has never been a good seller for the PB line and was never offered in a 100 ML size. It from my understanding has been retired completely and the stock that is out right now is all that's left.
    That's good to know. I ignorantly assumed they all came in 100ml size.. I wonder why they only have 3 sizes for some and not all though. I also figured it was a good seller just on how popular it seems, at least in comparison to most of the other blends. Personally I never really enjoyed AA all that much.. a rather textbook amber imo.

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    I tried this yesterday and was quite impressed with it, so I will be getting a bottle for my collection.

Also, I heard from a friend that Penhaligon´s Lily and Spice has definitely been discontinued.

Just been informed that the classic Dolce&Cabana women´s fragrance, (with the red cap) is being discontinued.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

It appears Canali Men is discontinued. Sorry to see it go.

Basenotes Junkie

Heard that Pradas Infusion D'Homme is getting discontinued. I've noted that I've seen a lot less of them shelved, something that leads me to believe its true. Bummer for me. I really like it.

Kenzo Power