Code of Conduct

Default Orange lovers: Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs / Cartier Essence d' Orange

Neiman's had a tester bottle of the new Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs on the counter last week. Stock is expected to arrive soon. I gave it one quick spritz to the wrist - much to my surprise, it has some serious depth and is long lasting - but it also seems quite linear. I'd say it might be less potent and exotic than Serge Lutens FdO, but not by much. If you like Serge's Fleur d' Oranger, or if you'd like to wear it but find yourself a little uncomfortable with it's expansive presence, you might want to give this one a try. It felt much richer than L'Artisan's special edition from years past, which I always thought was extremely fragile and fleeting. I didn't have the Serge and Houbigant on side by side, but might go in today to do the comparison and will post back with findings.

Also, just a quick plug for Eau de Cartier's Essence d' Orange. Love this stuff. The regular Eau d' Cartier strongly reminds me of D&G's Light Blue, which isn't my thing (the cedar smells "sour" to me / on me). The Essence d' Orange has just the right amount of zing, but also the fresh feel - highly recommend if you like orange.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Orange lovers: Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs / Cartier Essence d' Orange

Thanks for the report. Who doesn't love orange?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Orange lovers: Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs / Cartier Essence d' Orange

Seattlelight, they both sound really nice, I'll have to try them out. Another really good one is Garner James Orange Cologne, made by our very own Wooznib here on Basenotes. I just can't say enough about it, it's definitely one I hope people try.

Hi Quarry - orange is wonderful and it seems to have been making a comeback of sorts the past few years. It has replaced bergamot as my favorite citrus this summer.

Kiliwia - thank you for the Garner James recommendation - I will definitely look it up!

Also, there is the Roger and Gallet Bois d' Orange: sweeter than the Eau d'Cartier, but lasts a pretty long time and there is a body oil to go with it.

- - - Updated - - -

update on Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs: similar longevity, strength, and projection as SL FdO, but without the skank (i.e. cumin). In fact, I really hadn't noticed prominent cumin in FdO until this comparison. I'm quite a fan of the Houbigant and will likely get a bottle.

This scent is not delicate and remains a refined soliflore despite notes that usually indicate casual cologne or cleaning products - kind of like the relationship between Guerlain's Muguet (refined soliflore) and LOV (soap and cleaning products), where you get the advantages of smelling beautiful without feeling like you're trying so hard. I'd like to know what others think about this Houbigant as distribution begins.

Blog Entries

Has anyone smelled the Houbigant scent in Parfum?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Houbigant at Neiman's? Is this the same house that made the Chantilly my Grandmother used to purchase at the local drug store? Hopefully someone can help pull me out from under my rock & enlighten me!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard of this fragrance.

Apparently (from my reading online) this is the first new scent Houbigant has created in 50 years (!).

Is the nutmeg note very prominent?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard of this fragrance.

Apparently (from my reading online) this is the first new scent Houbigant has created in 50 years (!).

Is the nutmeg note very prominent?
    Not to my nose, no. I like this one. But I love the Lutens so maybe you might pick up something I don't.
    FBW to me, but then again I have a looooot of FB's. Now I am thinking about the parfum. To me this is a slightly more delicate orange blossom that the L'Artisan but I have only sprayed my L'Artisan once since I got it. I find it tremendously feminine, but the right guy could pull it off. Not too soapy. Not too bitter. Not citrusy. In a word, safe.
    30R, smell it...
    The box it comes in is gorgeous, the bottle is so-so.
    I will try to do side by sides with Lutens, L'Artisan and the others this weekend.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 31st August 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the information, Fleurine. I will try it, definitely, at some point.

This article (http://cosmeticworld.epubxp.com/i/77618/5) says it is launching in September exclusively at Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus stores.... hopefully it will someday get to Saks or better yet, Nordstrom, which are more accessible to me.

Houbigant is not longer the perfume house that it was in the 1700s. I recall their Musk from the 1970s and Lutece.

Thank you all for the input.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

oh! thank you seattlelight, i love FdO, i'll give Houbigant a try!

Blog Entries

Interesting- thanks for the report - cant wait to try these!

Blog Entries

okay Houbigant 2012 vs L'Artisan 2007

First Impressions

2 sprays each R and L forearm

Houbigant

Head notes: orange blossom, rose absolute, Egyptian jasmine absolute
    Heart notes: tuberose, petitgrain, ylang-ylang from Comores, nutmeg
    Base notes: cedarwood, musk

To Me: Bright, flowery, bubbly, true soprano, coloratura, all femme all the way, perfumier, funner
    Edit: Could be a relative of APOM

L'Artisan

Notes: Neroli, orange blossom from Tunis, green orange leaf, orange itself, orange tree twig, bees wax and orange blossom oil.

To me: Clean and serene, fresher, more restrained, quieter, deeper/richer, more unisex, more mezzo

Will throw Serge into the mix and update later
    Last edited by Fleurine; 31st August 2012 at 10:39 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thank you, Fleurine! That was very helpful.

Ah...I was hoping for a better, new Chantilly (better than the one in the drugstore, which I love anyway, but...a resurrection would have been nice).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Ah...I was hoping for a better, new Chantilly (better than the one in the drugstore, which I love anyway, but...a resurrection would have been nice).
    Try this;
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ms/Miriam.html
    Andy Tauer Miriam, it's exactly that.

Orange lovers shall try Friends by Moschino.

Silly question to ask, but since I am an avid fan of any citrus fragrance, but I don't know whether they have it at the local mall to test it 1-on-1, I hereby ask my fellow Basenoters:

Do either of the two scents mentioned on the thread title have male/unisex wearing potential?

Thanks for any input.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Ken_Russell, I would suggest instead Orange Sanguine Cologne Absolue by Atelier. I tried the Cartier last year and remember thinking the orange was too fleeting, although it did not seem overly feminine to me.

Essence d' Orange..just got to try it..it's good...a nice orange scent. I really do like the Cartier house a lot.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Thanks for the orange scent suggestions! An important priority on my to-do-list for the next testing (and possibly also) shopping spree.

Hi Ken Russell,

Sure, the Cartier is unisex - I just saw an older thread (back in 2010 or something) on the men's forum and was surprised by how dismissive nearly everyone was - it is refreshing and smells great - more of a weekend scent.

Another more unisex is "Bois d' orange" by Roger and Gallet. It is wonderful - and there is a nice shower gel.

The Houbigant is a fairly diva like white floral. Men could definitely wear it - depends on your chemistry and comfort level. If you've tried SL Fleur d' Oranger, it is similar in tone to that one (no cumin that I can detect, however; that's the huge difference).

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Try this;
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ms/Miriam.html
    Andy Tauer Miriam, it's exactly that.
    Thank you! I remember now that I wanted to try that...but I find it hard to keep up with them. I'm going to write it down.