Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Cristalle, suitable for men too?

Hello all - I have recently acquired a small vintage bottle of Chanel Cristalle which I was going to give my sister-in-law, but thought that it didn't smell as feminine as I thought it might have, so I tried some on and quite liked it... although the jury is still out as to whether a man could get away with wearing it.

What do others think?

Default Re: Chanel Cristalle, suitable for men too?

You could totally wear it. If you like it, go for it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    You could totally wear it. If you like it, go for it.
    I totally agree.

Most definitely masculine. I think that green chypres (Cristalle, Givenchy III vintage, Futur, etc) are perfectly masculine, and they are in fact one of my favorite genres. If you like Cristalle, and if you live near London, you should try Ormonde Jayne Tiare. It's also a green chypre in the mold of Cristalle, but more relaxed, more citrusy, and also richer.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Most definitely masculine. I think that green chypres (Cristalle, Givenchy III vintage, Futur, etc) are perfectly masculine, and they are in fact one of my favorite genres. If you like Cristalle, and if you live near London, you should try Ormonde Jayne Tiare. It's also a green chypre in the mold of Cristalle, but more relaxed, more citrusy, and also richer.

cacio
    Most definitely Tiare. I've been testing this lately and trying to decide whether to buy it or to go back to Cristalle, which I wore quite a lot back in the 90s.

Also, don't forget Jacomo Silences!

Indeed, Silences is great too, and not expensive either. I also need to look into Y more, but I read it's been reformulated.

But why choose? One can have both Cristalle and Tiare, and alternate depending on mood. I own Tiare parfum, which is very intense and long lasting. But the edp has plenty of sillage and longevity too.

cacio

You can wear anything you like, no matter how it is marketed....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Definitely! If the person wearing it, loves it, then wear it!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I love Cristalle, it possesses something very abstract. Comme Des Garcons could make such a scent today.

It has aged much better than Diorella.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    I love Cristalle, it possesses something very abstract. Comme Des Garcons could make such a scent today.

It has aged much better than Diorella.
    Agree with the above statements.

While I personally wouldn't label Cristalle as "masculine" (most of us don't pay much attention to the marketing labels), I think whether you should wear it depends on how it works with your chemistry, how you feel when you wear it, and how it suits your personality and lifestyle. If you're the least bit uncomfortable, move on.

I didn't feel uncomfortable... just that I had never tried a fragrance marketed as a woman's perfume before. It's the vintage juice so it's probably a lot richer than the current Cristalle. I'll have to try Silences and Tiara as well now!

Thanks folks!

As reminiscent was saying, Cristalle has aged very well, meaning that it is still very good and has not been cheapened. If any, it's probably more green and masculine than the old.

As for marketing, have you ever worn, say, the very masculine Aramis 900? If not, you can try. Then head out to the female counter and try the very feminine Aromatics Elixir. Can one say which is which?

cacio

Same goes for Aramis and EL Azuree. Twins

Indeed, Silences is great too, and not expensive either. I also need to look into Y more, but I read it's been reformulated.

But why choose? One can have both Cristalle and Tiare, and alternate depending on mood. I own Tiare parfum, which is very intense and long lasting. But the edp has plenty of sillage and longevity too.

cacio
    Why choose indeed! You're right, but they do take up very similar space in my mind, perfume-wise, so one would probably do. Of course, I probably will own both, eventually....

Y was repackaged in one of those cube-shaped bottles, just like a bunch of other YSLs, including M7, In Love Again, Nu, etc. I actually smelled that before I ever smelled the previous version and liked it very much (I'd been looking to try Nu, which didn't do much for me, and was surprised to find myself really impressed with it). Then I found a bottle of the pre-repackage at TK Maxx and bought that. I can't tell much of a difference, but I can't really be trusted on that score. But I think you can still find the older bottles for not too expensive.

Vintage Cristalle was a wonderful fragrance, to be worn by anyone and everyone who likes it. Chanel 19 should be worn by blokes too.

Just another +1; Cristalle is an excellent green scent and not overtly "feminine." My bf wears my perfumes occasionally and the greens are almost more wonderful on his skin. (I say "almost" only because I can't bear to admit that they may, in fact, wear better on him! lol!) I hope you wear your Cristalle with pride and joy!

Cristalle EDT is one of the most beautiful fragrances I have ever worn. I do not have that many fragrances that are marketed to women, for a reason or another, but this one works like a charm. It's so gorgeous it takes my breath away.

My girlfriend absolutely hates it, though. Like I care. And she dislikes almost all of them, anyway.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 24th July 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Sur la Plage

Yes - as with all other fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm wearing Cristalle as I speak and, to me it is really equal with the best chypre ever made, vintage Diorella. I also own that and wear with great pleasure.

I love this stuff so much.

Its excellent and a guy can wear it for sure!

Well, at this point I'm just preaching to the Cristalle choir- but oh my goodness, yes! Looks like Cristalle deserves to have its own little co-ed fanclub! Happy that all you guys love it so much.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Absolutely.

Cristalle can be so wonderfully grassy and sparkling, or sweetish and powdery, depending on you skin chemistry. Do try it, and see if you love it or not.

I love the smell of Aromatics Elixir and did try but didn't like the smell on me. You can imagine how chuffed I was to find Aramis 900 was the brother scent! However, similarly, I'm not keen on Aramis 900 on me. So, I'm auctioning a vintage bottle of it on ebay if anyone is interested!
    As reminiscent was saying, Cristalle has aged very well, meaning that it is still very good and has not been cheapened. If any, it's probably more green and masculine than the old.

As for marketing, have you ever worn, say, the very masculine Aramis 900? If not, you can try. Then head out to the female counter and try the very feminine Aromatics Elixir. Can one say which is which?

cacio
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Vintage Cristalle was a wonderful fragrance, to be worn by anyone and everyone who likes it. Chanel 19 should be worn by blokes too.
    I'll have to try that one too then!

Why the hell not? Wear what you want, but as with any other fragrance for male or female, you have to feel comfortable in it.
    Do happy