Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Fragrances spotted in movies!

There is a large bottle of Arpege on Bette Davis dressing table in "All About Eve," just before she goes out to meet her guests and says "Fasten your seatbelts..."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krooze View Post
    Attachment 43010

This is a shot of the cabinet Brian Fontana had Sex Panther in for Anchorman. The shot is below the case Sex Panther was in (I don't know this movie that well, they box and key are at the top of the pic). The only one I know is Hi-Karate. Can some vintage buffs fill in the blanks?
    Bottom middle is Avon for Men (1949)
    Top far right boot bottle is Avon Leather (1966)
    Top three left are part of the Avon Chess series and could contain anything from the 60's.
    Aramis sits behind the Avon for Men
    Vitalis is hair tonic not cologne.
    I also see vintage minis of Azzaro and Francesco Smalto
    I see Kouros too behind the minis
    I see a bottle of vintage Yardley -something-
    Aqua Velva Musk (new bottle design)
    Basically these are all from different eras of production, but since it's a comedy, nobody is gonna complain.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Season 5 Episode 5 of British show Endeavour is about Ambergris and perfume maker.
    They also some some old bottles but no known labels as far as I can tell.

"To make a good perfume takes genius and a nose that would shame the greatest sommelier in the world"
    You deceived me, Papsi! The ambergris was just a McGuffin, and not germane to the plot at all! (In fact, that whole season of Endeavour was very strange, every episode all over the map in style and writing.)

In Working Girl Katharine Parker (Sigourney Weaver) request a bottle of Shalimar.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I just watched Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" for the umpteenth time recently, and I noticed what looked like a bottle of Hermes perfume in Eva Marie Saint's train compartment. It's on a shelf above the sink.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You deceived me, Papsi! The ambergris was just a McGuffin, and not germane to the plot at all! (In fact, that whole season of Endeavour was very strange, every episode all over the map in style and writing.)
    But a great show I think. Typical PBS British style that I love on Sundays
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    But a great show I think. Typical PBS British style that I love on Sundays
    Me too, and even more for the beautiful Oxford setting and the relationship between the two cops than for the actual detective stories.

As much of a Sunday tradition as a roast chicken.

In the Netflix series Gypsy, Chance by Chanel is mentioned several times and becomes a minor plot point. It was actually this show that made me curious to smell Chance.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

In Sexy Beast (2000) Ray Winstone using Cartier Declaration
    In Last Night (2010) Keira Knightley sniffs Guillaume Canet fragrance that happens to be Guerlain Vetiver

In Preston Sturges's "Palm Beach Story", Claudette Colbert's character has an array of perfumes on her dressing table. The only one I could ID for sure was Shalimar. Some of the bottles looked like they might have been from Lucien Lelong. Another was possibly Arpege.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by al d. hyde View Post
    In Preston Sturges's "Palm Beach Story", Claudette Colbert's character has an array of perfumes on her dressing table. The only one I could ID for sure was Shalimar. Some of the bottles looked like they might have been from Lucien Lelong. Another was possibly Arpege.

A lot of great lines in that movie.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

Banned

I got two in one week (thanks, Netflix!)

In Breaking Bad (somewhere around Season 3 I think--in the same episode where the pizza ends up on the roof), Walter White splashes on some Stetson before going to visit Skyler (with the pizza). Now we know.

And in S1E3 of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Jerry Seinfeld buys a bottle of Brui while he's visiting an old-school drugstore with Ellen DeGeneres (who asks for a bottle of Jean Nate).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    During the very first seconds of the 9th episode of the 7th season of "King of Queens" (even before the opening credits/sequence) the cosmetics department of a Queens Mall, actually even being named quite nondescript as "Queens Mall" is show and it many oversize fragrance bottles, probably just dummy bottles with no content and just for advertising, one of Fidji and another one of Polo green
    And the posters are of Antonia's Flowers Tiempe Passate, the episode is named "Cologne Ranger".

The faux cologne he purchases is Frederico Di Male, a mashup of Armani and Jean Paul Gaultier. Yeah I'm a nerd who watches that particular episode. LOL
    I smell marshmallows!
    Currently wearing: Roses Vanille by Mancera

In the 1990 romantic comedy "Green Card" the main female character Bronte, played by Andie Mac Dowell is shown to keep-during a brief scene which shows her bathroom, apart from the fictional (?) face cream brand Monticello also several non fictional Bourjois fragrance bottles in her toiletries cabinet
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Cedarwood by Zara

Julie Andrews examines a bottle of Arpege by Lanvin in "The Americanization of Emily."

Basenotes Plus

In "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", you can see houndstooth bottles of Dior fragrance in the bathroom as Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy prepare for dinner.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Junkie

In “The Family Man”, Nicolas Cage reaches into a box of some of his old belongings returned to him by his ex-girlfriend, played by Téa Leoni, and takes out and smells a bottle of English Leather by Dana.

Speaking of the Sopranos again, have been re-watching the series and have noticed a ton of fragrance cameos, many already mentioned.

A few I've noticed that haven't been mentioned so far:

Season 5 Episode 5, a box of Boucheron Pour Homme is shown in the medicine cabinet at Chris and Adriana's apartment.

"Big Pussy" has a bottle of Aramis on his dresser before he goes on his "last" boat ride with Tony and crew.

The logo isn't shown, but Jackie Aprile Jr. appears to be spraying on what looks a lot like CK One during a phone call?

Tony's mom asks Uncle Jr. what he's wearing in one episode, and he tells her it's Canoe.

And going back to what a previous poster mentioned about Bobby Bacala, I think he also has a bottle of Polo Green and what looks to be Giorgio Wings for men on his dresser, in addition to Kouros.

Sopranos is a literal gold mine of fragrance references. Never payed attention to it until after joining Basenotes.

I was watching an episode of "The First 48" with my wife, and a defense attorney was on the screen describing the case. I said to her "that guy wears Polo by Ralph Lauren." She was surprised that I could deduce that just from his fashion sense and how he was speaking. She thought I was spending too much brain power on fragrances.

It was then that I told her to look behind him at the green bottle with the gold top that was on the credenza behind his desk.

Also...

Don't forget that Clarice Starling uses Evyan skin cream and sometimes wears L'air du Temps...but not today (Silence of the Lambs).

I use to try to zoom in on my TV and look at screenshots of Anchorman to see what Brian Fantana has in his hidden cologne cabinet. Some of them are props but others are actual real bottles.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Not sure if this counts, but its a youtube short ( a spoof on American Psycho) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWc8V-iKJ7s

@1:48, we have very clear shots of Byredo's Bal d'Afrique and Sunday Cologne.

It looks like we may have a non-fragrance Chanel, and Tom Ford as well.

Basenotes Junkie

In the reboot of Queer Eye, there are at least a couple of episodes where Jonathan instructs the makeover subjects on how to apply perfume. Both times, it's a bottle of Diptyque, but I can't make out what it is. He also makes a point of saying that he learned his "spray, delay, walk away" application technique from the original QE.

Basenotes Member

I guess this counts - I was watching on Forensic Files some crime scene footage that showed a bureau in the bedroom of a woman whose wealthy surgeon husband decided that Valentines Day would be a great day to play "head, meet bathroom floor" about fifty times with her. The purpose of the footage was to demonstrate that there was no signs of a break-in/burglary as the husband's alibi began to unravel.

The camera panned quickly across the room, but not so quickly that I missed the towering can of Rive Gauche pour Homme.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    In Soprano's episode "I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano", as Jimmy Altieri is being led to his fateful meeting with Silvio, he asks Chris if he's wearing enough cologne (as he believes he's going to hook up with a woman) and Chris replies "You smell like Paco Rabanne crawled up your ### and died"
    Probably my favorite quote of the entire series.

In the brief scene during "Lethal Weapon 2" at the home (which may be just a caravan/mobile home) of Riggs, the character played by Mel Gibson, a bottle of a Gucci male scent is visible in the background. Judging by the timeline, Gucci pour Homme, Eau de Gucci Concentree or Gucci Nobile would be historically/chronologically consistent.

Aramis?

Speaking of re-enactments of historical fashion trends, posted the link above as a non-fictional example, reenacted with TV presenters, focusing mainly on food and lifestyles in general from the past (in this particular episode, the 70s).

And though food is the main focus of this TV documentary series, there is indeed a sighting of Old Spice, albeit of a modern bottle around 37:03-being quite surprised by the fact that Old Spice was a popular male scent choice in 70s Britain, out of all places and past ages.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post

Aramis?
    Haha! Makes me want to see the rest of the movie. Richard Linklater's done some great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    Probably my favorite quote of the entire series.
    My favorite fragrance-related malapropism of that show was when Paulie referenced The Art of War by "Sun Tizoo, the Chinese Prince Matchabelli."

In another episode, Tony also referenced Machiavelli's "The Prince" as Prince Matchabelli.

Good running joke.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersurgery View Post
    My favorite fragrance-related malapropism of that show was when Paulie referenced The Art of War by "Sun Tizoo, the Chinese Prince Matchabelli."

In another episode, Tony also referenced Machiavelli's "The Prince" as Prince Matchabelli.

Good running joke.

Also Paulie seemed to carry around with him (remembering this particular scene both because it features a personal favorite fragrance and due to having quoted/posted this a few times on threads regarding scents shown/worn/mentioned in "The Sopranos") a miniature of Armani Eau pour Homme during the wedding of Allegra, the oldest daughter of Johnny Sack.

Having re-watched (for yet another time after countless re-watchings) yet again another gangster film, namely the 1983 version of "Scarface" noticed, apart from the correctly sighted and mentioned Eau de Calandre, also a Lagerfeld bottle on the side of his lavish round bathtub, built into his equally over-sized gaudy bedroom.
    Even though not specifically identified nor easily visible as a Lagerfeld scent, it is most likely Lagerfeld Classic, since it would fit the both chronology as well as the characteristic ring shaped bottle cap design.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast