Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Fragrances spotted in movies!

Quote Originally Posted by mistersurgery View Post
    My favorite fragrance-related malapropism of that show was when Paulie referenced The Art of War by "Sun Tizoo, the Chinese Prince Matchabelli."

In another episode, Tony also referenced Machiavelli's "The Prince" as Prince Matchabelli.

Good running joke.
    I had completely forgotten about that, and now you've made me want to go back and rewatch 'Sopranos'.

Not fragrance-related, but one of my other favorite attempts they made to show off their erudition was when Christopher was standing in line waiting to get into an exclusive club, and he spots Martin Scorsese being whisked in by the bouncer. Chris pumps a fist in the air and yells out "Hey Marty! Kundun, man!"

In Season 3 | Episode 2 of Stranger Things, there’s a perfume counter scene at the Starcourt Mall. I didn’t recognize any of the bottles.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Basenotes Junkie

Not a movie, but I found this amusing. In the podcast "Ear Hustle," an inmate about to be released from San Quentin is talking about how he's been making lists of things he wants to do when he gets out, one of which was "Fragrances I'm going to wear!"

Another non fictional example, sighted this time in a news coverage (strangely by a German radio station, admittedly with its own YT clips, rather than an Austrian TV channel) about a house which was owned by Austrian singer Falco and has now been turned into a museum, with most furniture, artifacts, memorabilia etc. kept as it was during his lifetime:

Around 1:32 there is a short sighting of his bathroom and managed to identify a Le Male fragrance bottle and a Hugo Boss deodorant stick.

Just rewatched The French Connection and in one scene Gene Hackman is shadowing a bad guy and stops to look into a shop window which turns out to be the Evyan Perfume Boutique in the Roosevelt on 45th--huge frontage with displays advertising White Shoulders. I wonder when it went? I do not remember it ever being there.
    Last edited by Oviatt; 16th July 2019 at 02:37 AM.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

[
    Makes me think of the Charivari store in NYC--I used to run into Joe Jackson there in the old days, just stepping' out.....
    QUOTE=Ken_Russell;4665665]Another non fictional example, sighted this time in a news coverage (strangely by a German radio station, admittedly with its own YT clips, rather than an Austrian TV channel) about a house which was owned by Austrian singer Falco and has now been turned into a museum, with most furniture, artifMakes acts, memorabilia etc. kept as it was during his lifetime:

Around 1:32 there is a short sighting of his bathroom and managed to identify a Le Male fragrance bottle and a Hugo Boss deodorant stick.[/QUOTE]
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Basenotes Junkie

First episode of the new season of Mindhunter. Agent Ford is quickly cleaning up for a surprise date and splashes on some Paco Rabanne Pour Homme after his shower.

Just watched a film produced and released in 1990 by (and mostly within) my home country named "Miss Seaside" in an approximate translation and in scene quite around the beginning of the movie one of the main characters - though no spoiler, since it reveals nearly nothing subsequent about plot and/or character developments- proudly announces, while bringing presents after travelling trough France, that a brand new fragrance named Chance was just released.

While completely historically inaccurate regarding Chanel Chance- a fragrance first released about more than a decade later, it may just be a simple coincidence. Or, still possible while much less likely, the director, screen writer and/or film crew may have had some insider knowledge, as improbable as it sounds, about future, still pending fragrance projects by the house of Chanel.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 20th August 2019 at 03:33 PM.

Hello,
    I dont know if it´s have been mentioned before but in Polanski´s "Bitter Moon" you can spot a Eau Sauvage Extreme bottle in Emmanuelle Seigner and Peter Coyote cabin.
    Magnific concept for a magnific film.
    Best,
    BruceB

And in Francois Ozon "Dans le maison" (another film with Seigner ), a character uses Eau Sauvage EDT.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

I've been watching Stranger Things S2. In Episode 8 (The Mind Flayer), Billy is getting ready to go out, listening to heavy metal and checking his appearance in a mirror. He picks up a splash bottle of cologne and puts some on. On the dresser (or whatever) we also see a bottle of Aramis, but that's not what he reaches for. I think his choice for the evening is Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Some of which he rubs on his. . . yeah.

The bottle doesn't look period-correct to me (too new by at least several years), but it's hard to tell.
    Currently wearing: Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

Just saw ONCE UPTON A TIME....IN HOLLYWOOD last week and I could have sworn I saw a cologne in a background shot. But when I researched, all I found was: HEAVEN SENT The Helena Rubinstein perfume is touted in a radio ad.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

In "Allied" (Hollywood film), Marion Cotillard puts some parfume on Brad Pitts´neck.
    Couldn´t spot what was.
    But the film happens in the 40´s so...some Guerlain, Cartier, etc?
    Best,
    BruceB

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Hello,
    I dont know if it´s have been mentioned before but in Polanski´s "Bitter Moon" you can spot a Eau Sauvage Extreme bottle in Emmanuelle Seigner and Peter Coyote cabin.
    Magnific concept for a magnific film.
    Best,
    BruceB
    You can bet that was a deliberate choice. Few films are as “sauvage” as Bitter Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    You can bet that was a deliberate choice. Few films are as “sauvage” as Bitter Moon.
    Sauvage and Extreme!

Another mention, but not accompanied by a sighting, of Old Spice.
    This time as the scent worn by the character George Cooper, Sheldon's brother, during season 2 of "Young Sheldon".

After having posted about Falco lately, another non-fictional fragrance reference in French documentary (also available in German but not in English unless for YT captions) from Franco/German TV channel Arte about glam rock.
    More precisely showing around the 18:48 mark a hounds tooth Miss Dior bottle in Bowie's dressing room during his glam rock Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin Sane years (whether he actually wore Miss Dior back then is another store, according to BN he reportedly liked classic Guerlains and Creeds).

In the Breaking Bad movie, El Camino, a character mentions Axe body spray, Obsession for Men, and Tommy "Hilfinger". It shows all of them, too.

Was it mentioned in here that in Avengers Endgame, Ant Man asks Tony Stark (Iron Man) if he's wearing Axe body spray. Then Tony says something like he always keeps a bottle around in case he needs to freshen up, or something. lol
    Oh, Tony Tony Tony For the purposes of a cheap joke in a movie, I guess that works. But I don't see a billionaire wearing Axe, even a quirky one like Tony Stark.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

In "Look forward in anger", a 1993 film from my country with the title (and also some of the characters, plot points, conflicts etc.) somewhat inspired by the John Obsorne play but set, transplanted etc. to a completely different historical and geographic context-around the 51:36 minute mark, there is a short sighting next to a Fa deodorant spray, of a nondescript (and by now unwillingly, unplanned vintage) feminine/unisex scent simply displaying the German word "Moschus" on the black capped, clear, yellowish fluid bottle.

Likely a musky scent from the German 4711/Muehlens house popular during the early 90s and even more so late 80s both in my country and possibly its country of origin as well.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13