Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amouage Gold Men -- Am I Missing Something?

I have been itching to get my hands on a sample of Amouage for a while and finally got a sample of Amouage Gold Men yesterday. I couldn't wait to try it out, and put it on for a full day test today.

I was really disappointed after putting this on, as all I get is a heavy note of baby powder. This is all I have really been able to detect in this one; though it has grown on me a little bit over the course of the day.

Am I missing something on this? I was so anxious to check this out and couldn't believe all I got was such a powdery scent. I have been wanting to get my hands on an Amouage fragrence for a while and this one is a bit of a disappointment. Are there any other fragrences from this house that people recommend trying? Do others have similar experiences with Gold? It seems like Amouage gets so much love around here I feel like I must be missing something.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amouage Gold Men -- Am I Missing Something?

I wouldn't worry, Scentfanatic1631. I've yet to try Gold, but just from reading I got the impression it is a highly controversial scent, wether to be worn by a man etc. I also read the word "baby powder" or just "powder" many times in this context. My "advise" would be just to try it in a while again - I sometimes make the experience that I "understand" a fragrance better after time.

A less challenging fragrance from Amouage could be Jubilation XXV, a rich and exotic fragrance based on the theme of incense (to put it in a banal manner). I find it really not hard to like, it feels very "contemporary" and lighthearted to me. Good luck on your journey to Amouage! (...though I find it possible that more or less everyone has at least 1 "niche" house he just doesn't "get"...)

It's Amouages worst scent imo and baby powder is all I got too.

Post Thanks / Like

As Candide was saying, Gold man is very controversial, opinions differ quite dramatically. It is one of my favorites, rich, floral, intense, with a touch of civet that makes it even richer. But others, like you, smell only baby power, others think it smells like hair pomade (Three flowers, to be precise), and other still like pee.

It was the first Amouage, together with Gold woman, and it is a little bit on its own (Ubar being probably in the same style. So perhaps Ubar will not be of your liking either). As Candide was saying, there's Jub XXV, which is luminous, citrusy frankincense. There's Dia, which is dark woods, there's Epic, woody rose. Lyric, rose. Silver, rosy eau de cologne. So if you want to explore the house, you'll certainly find something of your liking.

As you know, you can test Amouage in Tysons corner, both at Parfums de France in the main mall, and at Art of Flowers in the galeria.

cacio

Im sure I remember reading somewhere that when they changed the bottle design from the Arabic style they had at first to the more western looking bottles they have now, they changed the formulas somewhat. This was around the time they came out with the Eau version of Gold [for women]. It wouldnt surprise me if people were talking about two different scents.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the newer bottle. I heard too that the scent had been tamed a bit, so I can only imagine how fantastic the original might have been. But what I have is fantastic too. Of course Amouage's creedification process is unfortunately ongoing, and I doubt that what I have is IFRA compliant. So I would be sad but not surprised to learn that the newest bottles have been watered down.

Worth checking when I stop again in a store that carries them.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by mr. reasonable; 7th August 2012 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep trying it and vary the dose. It took me some time to appreciate it fully. Wonderful fragrance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, it is not for you.

Just move on, there's a myriad of other scents worth exploring.
    Last edited by dollars&scents; 23rd July 2012 at 08:52 AM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Took me an age to find an Amouage to my taste then I found Ubar. Gold Man, Gold Woman? Meh! The Jubs interpretation of chypre I should have loved? Headache in a bottle. Memoirs incense? Incense smincense! I gave my tester collection away Amouage was just too sophisticated for my snozzle.

Then as I said I found the catty, animalic Ubar said to be similar in style to Gold and Gold Man, I could find no comparison.

The moral of this story is keep trying when you get a chance. When you discover "your" Amouage others may slip into place

Didn't care very much for this one either.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions on other scents from this house. I'll definitely check them out. I also got samples of Reflection Man, Lyric and Epic. I like the Epic and Lyric scents, but Reflection Man was not up my alley.

cacio: Thanks for the advice on other scents. I got my samples from Parfums de France, which I only discovered last week. Love that place.

Post Thanks / Like

I am finally getting around to trying some of the other Amouage samples I got. I am wearing Lyric today, and I have to say that it is really starting to grow on me. I don't normally like rose notes, but something about this one seems to be clicking with me. It does seem to share some of the powdery notes with Gold, but not nearly as overpowering. Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I like too much the characteristic you don't, the baby-powder or what some call old-lady smell.