Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which cheapie did you wear in high school that got you massive compliments?????

This was mine...................

Honestly all the women love this one on me and never had no complaints. Unfortunately, I tried to revisit this classic and I think I''m too old to sport it now but man did it do it's job back when.

HOW ABOUT YOU?????

Default Re: Which cheapie did you wear in high school that got you massive compliments?????

Cheapie.. Hmmm
    Black XS count at $43?
    Otherwise

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which cheapie did you wear in high school that got you massive compliments?????

Brut. My GF loved it.

Preferred Stock. I still have about half a bottle left that I sniff from time to time to bring back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Brut. My GF loved it.
    Ah the good ol brut.......takes everything back

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Preferred Stock. I still have about half a bottle left that I sniff from time to time to bring back memories.
    Yep Preferred Stock for me as well!
    Living each day one spray at a time

Aspen and someone gave me a bottle of CK One so I guess that was cheap. We used to have to save up all summer if we wanted a bottle of something good from the mall.

Polo Green. It actually wasn't very popular at my HS, but I've rarely been complimented more often.

probably Stetson. still a good scent , too.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Avon Black Suede. I remember all of the high school girls telling me how good I always smelled.

Blog Entries

Jovan Musk for Men - I got compliments from my barber every time I got a haircut... a classmate liked it so much he bought one for himself... I must add that I went to a Co-In catholic High School, so boys were separated from the girls.

Would you believe English Leather -- I think it was made by MEM in those days. I am talking about the 60s!

My nephew became a big fan of Cuba Gold, though he has now graduated to the ultimate compliment gettering scent -Paris Hilton for Men.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    Polo Green. It actually wasn't very popular at my HS, but I've rarely been complimented more often.
    Don't recall whether it was a "cheapie" or not (kinda thinking it wasn't, but it wasn't really "expensive" either)......for anyone like myself who grew up in the 80's and attended high school and college during the decade.....this was THE ONE! Forget Dolce & Gabbana, Ralph Lauren could have named this one "THE ONE" during that time period! It's what everybody, everywhere was sporting.....and in spite of it being super popular, it was still beloved by most everyone.

For me, Perry Ellis portfolio Elite (blue) is what I wore. Graduated in 2004. Got A LOT of compliments on it.

I don't think I wore anything during high school, but during that era I think it was Polo Sport or Tommy.

&

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Avon Black Suede. I remember all of the high school girls telling me how good I always smelled.
    Black Suede? No kidding........ that's awesome that avon is getting some representation around here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Aspen and someone gave me a bottle of CK One so I guess that was cheap. We used to have to save up all summer if we wanted a bottle of something good from the mall.

Aspen is still a very good fragrance imo.... ha ha I too remeber the days of saving up

Spend hundreds on better bottles, only to get complimented when I'm wearing a $5 fragrance... -__-
    It should be illegal to smell this good!

Nightflight and Tommy

Blog Entries

GIT, Aventus, Aoud, nothing. Old Polo or Stetson $3 a gallon: "oh you smell nice!"

Sound Scents

Original Polo (Green). It wasn't a cheapie back then though... I still love it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Well, when I ran out of Poison, I got 'Poison' perfume oil roll on I got at a gas station for like 4 bucks. The 'version of' seemed to get more compliments than the original, lol.

Cheapies I liked for a guy were: Aspen, Preferred Stock, Drakkar, Eternity but Eternity isn't really a cheapie. Oh well. lol

But my absolute faves for a guy were Aspen & Polo(green).
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Don't recall whether it was a "cheapie" or not (kinda thinking it wasn't, but it wasn't really "expensive" either)......for anyone like myself who grew up in the 80's and attended high school and college during the decade.....this was THE ONE! Forget Dolce & Gabbana, Ralph Lauren could have named this one "THE ONE" during that time period! It's what everybody, everywhere was sporting.....and in spite of it being super popular, it was still beloved by most everyone.
    Kind of depends on which side of the tracks you grew up on... for me Polo Green was very expensive!
    Living each day one spray at a time

Pure Mysore Sandalwood Oil.

We're talking 1972 / 73 here

Back in the days these were the affordable colognes I used:
    Varon Dandy, Luois Philippe, The Baron, Cool water, Drakkar, Lagerfeld, Lagerfeld Photo, Kuoros, Farenheit and all the Samba's, fact Samba Red is still one of my favorites cheapo colognes that I still wear....

They all had their time.......
    Last edited by Whitealltrac; 23rd July 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Wasn't cheap but 80s were Polo Green, Drakkar, or Grey Flannel
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Hardy Amies
    roberre noir

None during highschool - both the cheapie and the more expensive scents did hardy get any compliments, but then again, I was wearing most scents for myself, as I still do.

Nothing. Perfumes (for men) flew under my radar for most of my life until I purchased Cool Water some years ago.

Carpe Diem from O Boticário (a popular brazilian brand).
    Not that much compliments just here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    &

These are sublime!

Cool Water for me, did the deed.
    Smellin good

Desiel Plus Zero I think it was called

Joop pour homme

Avon Black Suede.In the mid 80s I remember my girlfriend at that time really really liked it

English Leather! There was this one really cute girl who would make out with any guy wearing English Leather, so it was a natural. Ah, High School.

I then "graduated" to Polo Green for a bottle, and then Kouros (!) because my best friend had it, and I'd bum a few sprays from him when we'd go out.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I used to wear True Star and FCUK 2
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

The only thing I wore in high school was something I bought from Pac Sun... some Kirra scent. I had some left and I went to smell it again when I first started getting into fragrances and it smells of pure alcohol now...I had some Adidas aftershave that I thought smelled good too.

Basenotes Junkie

PS Design.

Carrington after shave

Quote Originally Posted by i8paintchipz View Post
    For me, Perry Ellis portfolio Elite (blue) is what I wore. Graduated in 2004. Got A LOT of compliments on it.
    Also graduated in '04... my top 3 compliment getters were Higher Energy, Polo Blue, and of course Fierce.

Curve and Fierce

Curve and Candies. Compliments up the Ay

Wore Old Spice Limes in high school ('62 - '66) and it was a thoroughly enjoyed fragrance. I don't think you can buy it now. I went from OS Lime to Bermuda Royall Lymes and then transitioned to Guerlain Imperiale in '67. Yes I was a fragrance fool even back then!

Basenotes Institution

Devin by Aramis. It was sort of my 'signature' scent in my teens.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I went through at least 5-6 100ml bottles of Tommy Hilfiger "Freedom" during Junior High and High School years.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

This got me compliments galore when I was 14-16 at high school!

Wasn't cheap at the time (or for a teenager), but I got Liz Claiborne Curve when it was launched in '96 and was the only one in school with it. Compliments galore.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

CK One for me.

Chalk up another one for the original Curve. I've received far more compliments per day with this one than any of the hundreds I've worn since. And it kills me that I can no longer appreciate it like I once did- it never struck me as 'synthetic' or 'fake' in junior high or high school, but that's nearly all I get from it now. I wish there was a higher-quality version that smelled nearly identical. I have (and still like) Fierce as well as Chanel PE, but neither have more than a passing resemblance, despite often being recommended as substitutes. It was my signature as a teen, and all I ever wanted or needed. Then I opened the pandora's box that is the hobby of fragrance, and I don't believe I'll ever have that comfort and satisfaction with a fragrance ever again, although there were/are a few that came close.

Fare height and polo green.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Cool Water did the job for me.

Blog Entries

I forgot to add the following cheapies: Quorum by Antonion Puig, Coolwater by Davidoff and Aspen by Coty.

Very Sexy by Victoria's Secret. Girls seemed to love it
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

212 and Hugo Boss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal Wave View Post

Spend hundreds on better bottles, only to get complimented when I'm wearing a $5 fragrance... -__-
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    Kind of depends on which side of the tracks you grew up on... for me Polo Green was very expensive!
    Yeah, me too. I felt like I was getting the royal makeover when I got my first bottle on the GF's demand.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

Good grief, those were the days! Bottles of the stuff, dirt cheap at the head shop. Guys used it as car fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Devin by Aramis. It was sort of my 'signature' scent in my teens.
    Cool. I was a yuppie at the time, but I was loving it with you!

Jade East, Brut, Canoe, British Sterling, British Sterling Lemon, Jovan Musk and a whole bunch of Avon colognes! The Avons were all in decorative bottles and were really cool! And they even smelled good! I remember one smelled like cinnamon...lol.

That was a looooong time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

Niiiiceeeeee!!!!!! thank you for posting

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Very Sexy by Victoria's Secret. Girls seemed to love it
    My wife loves very sexy for men. I almost forgot about this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Curve and Candies. Compliments up the Ay
    Gah Candies for men!!!!! brings back memories.......whew

Pierre Cardin Cologne back in the late 60s.

If I remember correctly.... Brut, though not my favorite, Pub, and somewhat later, St. John's Bay Cutlass, & at some point later, Jovan's Andron.... so long ago...