Code of Conduct

Unhappy Creed MI - faulty, leaky atomizer

I know this issue has been brought up a couple of times on BN. Seriously though, this is the second time in a row that I've had to pry off the atomizer on a Creed MI and decant it because it leaked like crazy. Oh and it just arrived this morning btw. My first bottle got so bad that all the gold paint flaked off. There doesn't seem to be this problem with a bottle of GIT I've had for about half a year. This is quite aggravating and I'm even considering the possibility of never getting another bottle of MI, despite it being one of my favourite fragrances ever. Has this happened to anyone else? You'd figure they'd be able to spend a little bit extra on the bottle so the juice doesn't leak everywhere, considering how much they charge as well.

Anyway, I apologise for the rant.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creed MI - faulty, leaky atomizer

Mine leaks if I tip it while I spray. Very annoying, actually. I've just learned to hold the bottle up straight and press down in slow, full, controlled pulses. That seemed to help.

Wonder why it's M.I. My others don't do that....

Only have Creeds in decants so not a problem for me.

Where did you buy it from ?

Yeah, I agree they have horrible quality control when it comes to caps, stickers and paint chipping off. The cap on my GIT, Aventus are not tight and easily slip off. SMW, however, is rock solid. The paint on my Aventus easily chips and the sticker is coming off. But, the fragrances are amazing. Nothing, and I mean nothing--i.e. Cool Water or Aspen--compares to GIT. It's simply the best male fragrance on the market in my opinion. Also, Aventus is right up there--really awesome scent. I haven't had any issues with batch differences, but I haven't been a lifelong consumer of Creed products.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    Where did you buy it from ?
    My first bottle I got in Paris, and the second one is from FragranceX. No problems with fakes.

Just really bad quality control on the part of whoever manufactures bottles for Creed. If you thought batch variations were a problem it seems like inconsistencies with bottle quality are even more rampant. I even remember seeing the gold paint flaking off on a MI tester they had at a Creed counter in a department store, so it's not just a stroke of bad luck.

How ironic: I was just ranting about that on "the ugliest bottles" thread--Now I see this one. Whatever you do, don't spend the ridiculous money for the EMPTY leather covered vapos: I've just given up on these: I went through THREE and every single one leaked immediately and stained the leather/wasted the juice--never got to the stage of the metallic finish chipping off because three in a row were just faulty outright. I don't use Creed but I liked these leather covered vapos--unti--that it--I tried to use them. Complete waste of time.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Yup. Horrible quality control given the premium nature of the scents, not to mention the price. The sticker on my brand new Aventus bottle is curling and peeling. Eventually, I need to find some glue to fix it. Sheesh. It's really sad when the bottles of stuff found at Ross and Marshalls have better quality control than Creed.

I would send it back no matter what fragrance it was if it was leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I would send it back no matter what fragrance it was if it was leaking.
    Would have done that if I was located in the US. Since I'm in Australia it's too bothersome and would have taken too long to send back and then have to wait for a replacement bottle. I had the decanting materials available anyway. Besides, even if I wanted to send it back, Australian aviation security laws prohibits me from sending fragrances via air.

Apologies for the slight departure from the initial topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for high quality pocket / travel atomizers that do not leak? I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a really high quality mechanism.

I was thinking about trying this Philippi Ellipse model (http://www.philippi.com/en/products/...fume_atomizer/). Has anyone tried it?

My MI 120ml bottle (my SOTD today!) surprisingly does not leak. I got it from FragranceNet and it was my first purchase from them.

However, my 120ml bottle of GIT (no longer own that) and my Aventus 120ml both leak like crazy. I also have a 75ml of Original Vetiver which does not leak, but previous bottles of those leaked like crazy!

I guess it's the Creed 'bottle lottery'...

Quote Originally Posted by broxwood View Post
    I know this issue has been brought up a couple of times on BN. Seriously though, this is the second time in a row that I've had to pry off the atomizer on a Creed MI and decant it because it leaked like crazy. Oh and it just arrived this morning btw. My first bottle got so bad that all the gold paint flaked off. There doesn't seem to be this problem with a bottle of GIT I've had for about half a year. This is quite aggravating and I'm even considering the possibility of never getting another bottle of MI, despite it being one of my favourite fragrances ever. Has this happened to anyone else? You'd figure they'd be able to spend a little bit extra on the bottle so the juice doesn't leak everywhere, considering how much they charge as well.

Anyway, I apologise for the rant.
    How did you decant it? I have got 2 bottles of SMW that do the same thing. Rest of my creeds spray just fine. I would prefer to decant those 2 SMW bottles and enjoy the sprays rather than use them like a splash/after-shave.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedKing View Post
    How did you decant it? I have got 2 bottles of SMW that do the same thing. Rest of my creeds spray just fine. I would prefer to decant those 2 SMW bottles and enjoy the sprays rather than use them like a splash/after-shave.
    If you've ever pulled the sprayer off on a Creed bottle you'll know the plastic atomizer is held to the bottle by a sheet of metal wrapped around the bottle opening. You can remove this sheet of metal in the same fashion that you can remove the plastic safety seals on pill bottles:

Basically get a small wire trimmer or pair of pliers, choose a point and peel the metal all the way down vertically so that the metal encasing is now split. You should just be able to loosen rest of the metal easily and wriggle it off.

Luckily this has not happened to me.

I've never had a leaky Creed, but those caps are another matter. None of my GIT caps has fit properly -- all too loose and wobbly -- and both of my current MI caps have the opposite problem, and are too tight! Geez.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Basenotes Junkie

Maybe this is a reason some Creed bottles end up at unauthorized dealers, because of faulty atomizers/ leaky bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by broxwood View Post
    If you've ever pulled the sprayer off on a Creed bottle you'll know the plastic atomizer is held to the bottle by a sheet of metal wrapped around the bottle opening. You can remove this sheet of metal in the same fashion that you can remove the plastic safety seals on pill bottles:

Basically get a small wire trimmer or pair of pliers, choose a point and peel the metal all the way down vertically so that the metal encasing is now split. You should just be able to loosen rest of the metal easily and wriggle it off.
    thanks. will give it a go sometime.

Hi Broxwood,

I have given up on Creed. I too have a leaky bottle of MI with a terrible sprayer. After encountering a number of problems like this I decided to spend my money elsewhere.

Decant this and it'll be fine.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!