Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances you keep going back to even though you don't like them???

Some fragrances you try, you try them once, conclude right away that they're not for you and move on. Other fragrances, I've found, I keep trying over and over, only to discover again and again that they are a no-go. Examples: Chanel Allure (original version, don't know why, keep thinking it might win me over), Prada infusion d'homme.

Do you have the same experience? Which ones do you insist on trying but never buy?

Default Re: Fragrances you keep going back to even though you don't like them???

Kouros
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Default Re: Fragrances you keep going back to even though you don't like them???

x2 on Kouros. Sometimes I enjoy smelling like a portapotty but never in public.

Gucci Envy
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Fahrenheit, most Armani's, most Ted Lapidus, Burberrys, .... there are lots of them. They just don't "click", that's it.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Fahrenheit, most Armani's, most Ted Lapidus, Burberrys, .... there are lots of them. They just don't "click", that's it.
    I love the number 1 on your favorite list - a bad fragrance Anyways, but why do you keep trying fragrances that don't click with you the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    I love the number 1 on your favorite list - a bad fragrance Anyways, but why do you keep trying fragrances that don't click with you the first time?
    It's because i "try" to like them; i'm a hard-headed guy who don't easily give up Some of them may have a nice bottle / nice coloured box, some of them may have received good reviews etc.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Habit Rouge

Usually not, I just move on...

i've been using hugo by hugo boss and I'm starting not to like it

Sound Scents

If I don't like it I don't go back.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Issey Miyake Leau Dissey, and the original A*Men. Everyone says they're so good, and I constantly try to like them, but I can't stand them.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    +1....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Usually not, I just move on...
    +2 ....

Really? But some fragrances I've tried I really didn't like at first wearing and then they grew on me, got better and better and ended up as favorites. Aren't you considering that some of the ones you're dismissing could be diamonds in the rough?

Banned

Why would I waste my time trying to like something that I didn't like in the first place.
    There's a myriad of other scents that hold promise without the extra effort.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Why would I waste my time trying to like something that I didn't like in the first place.
    There's a myriad of other scents that hold promise without the extra effort.
    Well, personally, it's because of a mixture of reviews, notes and maybe sometimes presentation that seems to imply it makes perfect sense that I should like it, and some of my favorite fragrances were NOT love at first sniff but actually "growers". The ones that seduce me a first sniff I usually get bored of pretty quickly...

AMen and AplS
    Smellin good

I've given up on it at this point, but I had tried VC&A Pour Homme more than a few times to see if I could sense what others smelled that makes them like it so much. I've decided I can't like it (I actively *dislike* it), and my bottle is on the chopping block for a future swap.

Same here for me... A*men...because it's freaking popular, but I just don't seem to like it... it's kind of like that chick (Jennifer Love Hewitt) that most guys like, but it's just not my cup of tea....

Quote Originally Posted by Xerbia View Post
    Issey Miyake Leau Dissey, and the original A*Men. Everyone says they're so good, and I constantly try to like them, but I can't stand them.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

My two have been mentioned. Kouros. I want to like it but jeez, this one is weird on me. I sort of like it enough to re-visit and I have a half bottle of vintage juice. I just can't get a handle on it but once in a while I try again. The other one is Fahrenheit. I think it used to be better in the past than it is now. I want it to do something for me but it never does. I keep trying and maybe someday I will like it. Funny about these two...I don't hate them and I don't love them. I respect them. Hoping that familiarity will cause love to build.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Kouros. I kinda hated it, but found it interesting enough to hang on to the bottle.

I also disliked Derby at first sniff, went back to try it again months later, and love it now.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

egoiste...i try it at least once a month because of all the praise. I won't give up untill i figure out what i'm missing. So far i'm not any closer than when i started.

I feel you on this one. I have TWO bottles of Egoiste but I have to twist my own arm to wear it once every sixty days. I dunno....
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

First impressions can be wrong especially if expectations are not in line with what the fragrance (or music, book for that matter) actually is offering. Tastes may change. Those that seem to have something or that are perhaps worth the effort, despite an initial poor showing, will draw me back. I rarely form an iron-clad judgment based on a single test. Zizanie would be a fragrance that I initially hated that is now in my collection. On the other hand, despite repeated samplings and even a full bottle, Eternity for Men is a no-go for me so I can confidently move on from it.

When I had it, the sample of Oud 27...I kept expecting to get it eventually. Needless to say, it never happened

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Habit Rouge
    This one and L'Heure Bleue.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

If you would have asked me this question 2 weeks ago, I would have said Le Labo Oud 27. Finally after my nose battling that damn fragrance for a year and half, I went from hate to love. Bought a bottle the next day.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dzing!
    My now absolute favorite Bandit was an initial major-hate scrubber.
    & Almost every Lutens. The usual ~'Admire them but don't want to wear them,' yet keep coming back for more.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    Really? But some fragrances I've tried I really didn't like at first wearing and then they grew on me, got better and better and ended up as favorites. Aren't you considering that some of the ones you're dismissing could be diamonds in the rough?
    They could be to others, but not to me. There are just too many fragrances out there that I *do* like to waste time trying to force myself to like something I don't as by now my preferences are pretty well set. This might not have been the case many years ago while my tastes were still fine tuning, but at this point if I don't like it I am extremely unlikely to ever change that point of view.

Habit Rouge is the sole exception that I can think of where I was uncertain enough to give it more time and was pleasantly surprised in the end...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Go back to many scents, but I like all that I possess.

If the frag has something that seems promising I usually give it at least one more try, unless it's really expensive (and then I'm glad it's only a sample). I feel that now I can do an ankle sampling and decide if it should get a regular wearing without regrets.

Closest thing for me would be Tuscan Leather. It's not accurate to say that I 'don't like' it, but I was underwhelmed at first, but keep giving it chances to win me over!

Zino, Kouros, Armani Attitude
    Top 5 (random order):
    1. Creed Aventus
    2. L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme
    3. Le Labo Rose 31
    4. Terre D'Hermes EdT
    5. YSL Rive Gauche

Fahrenheit.

I can only echo the thoughts on Habit Rouge (EDP) I love sniffing it now and then but its got something about it which just doesn't sit right with me.

It conjures up a very decreped image in my head of what I'm thinking it smells like.

I hated Mitsouko and Bandit when I first smelled them. Very glad I tried a few times because they're favorites now. If I hate something, I certainly won't buy it. But I will keep smelling it just to be sure.

I, too, have problems with Habit Rouge. I really want to like it, and on paper it sounds perfect, but ...

Come to think of it, I just don't get on with most Guerlains. Love the house and respect its history and quality, their fragrances nad my skin just don't get on. Doesn't stop me sniffing whenever I get the chance, though.

I think it is worth going back to Basenotes 'well-loved favourites' every once in a while. I did 180 degrees on The Dreamer and Prada Infusion d'Homme, so I would have missed out on those beauties (mind you, the former was a blind buy). Of course it doesn't always work like that and there are plenty that despite repeat testing I don't like (I've drawn a line under K10 and TF Extreme for example). But it's nice to be sure in your own mind that you are not missing out on something! I exclude 'scrubbers' from this schedule; the chances of success are slim and they just make me grumpy.

YSL Pour Homme - have gone through about a third of a bottle, and still don't know if I like it or not!
    Eau d'Hermes - have owned two bottles, both of which ended up being swapped BUT I keep trying it, finding I like it, and want another bottle! Going to try 'vintage' next time.

Hardly any, but if there were some, the Hugo Boss scents my be included. While they are not the worst and I like some of them, even if the overall impression is not the best, I try to revisit them all the time and find more favorites.

This!

Just about any aquatic summer sorta fragrance.... Just dont really enjoy them as much... But when its 90 degrees out what can ya do? shrug

Kouros unfortunately, I loved that scent. It's not that I don't like it, it's more so that the warmer notes have disappeared. Stuff like the animallic honey, I can't even detect it anymore. All I get is a harsh, musky incense smell all throughout.

Fahrenheit. About every six months I convince myself I will like this scent, in part because my partner likes it, so I get a sample and always end up hating it.