Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a masculine woodsy scent with berry

I don't usually post topics for recs, as a simple search will often yield exactly what one was looking for. In this case, I'm requesting BNers' expertise for a rather specific desire.

I'm looking for a dry woody fragrance with a slight berry tinge. I'm thinking like a blackberry or elderberry, something more rich than sweet (as opposed to a strawberry's sweetness). I had a sample of Ormonde Man that has one of my favorite woodsy scents out there, and in the sample, I got a little bit of berry-like sweetness. It prompted a FB buy, and sadly, I do not get this same accord that I did in the sample. I'm currently in talks with Ormonde about this, and I like the bottle enough in its own right, so no need to rehash this issue. I only mention this because the oudh, hemlock, cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, and musk are all right up my alley. Just missing that one component...

In my research, the closest thing I could find is L'Artisan's Mure et Musc, but it appears to be a smoother, sweeter scent, almost milky. I'm looking for something with a more austere wood structure, filled out with a rich berry (or even fig) accord. What I don't want is something very green, something powdery, or something sweet. Is this a request for something that simply doesn't exist, or is there something out there that fits the bill? Thanks to all in advance.

EDIT: The best way I could describe what I'm looking for smells like this:

OR

Last edited by Baldini; 25th July 2012 at 04:44 AM.

Default Re: Looking for a masculine woodsy scent with berry

Burberry Classic seems to do this for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtruck260 View Post
    Burberry Classic seems to do this for me...
    This is one common frag I've not yet tried, so this could be promising. The reviews are (surprise) all over the place, but most seem to get a fresher fruity smell with a woodsy base. I'm thinking this is not 'the one' I'm looking for, but certainly worth a try, especially at the price a tester bottle can be had for nowadays. Thanks for the suggestion!

John Varvatos, Tom Ford for Men Extreme and YSL M7.

You might try Chne by Serge Lutens. It's supposed to be woodsy but smells mostly like berries to me, so it might fit what you are looking for.

I suggest Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir or Diptyque L' Ombre Dans L' Eau. Diptyque is berries and dry woody green leaves with a watery rose mixed in there somewhere. I like Pomegranate Noir which has a warm berry note with incense wood of some sort. Pomegranate Noir smells slightly more balsamic than Sequoia from Comme des Garcons and Sequoia would be another recommendation. Frapin 1697 also has a dark berry or dried fruit note blended with spices, tobacco and woods. Creed Silver Mountain water has a black currant note that blends with dry dark tea and silvery musk base notes. I recommend these in this order:

recommended:
    Pomegranate Noir
    L' Ombre Dans l' Eau
    Frapin 1697

Bond no. 9 bleeker street very dry wood blueberry top note
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

Lutens is the master of fruits and cedar, though his fruits tend to be saturated and candied (eg Feminite' de bois, which is a great masculine too). But as suggested Cedre may work.

+1 M7, though, again, the cherry-berry note is too sweet to some. But the woods are very dark.

cacio

Thanks guys- some undoubtedly great suggestions. I have M7, and I get more syrupy spice from it (at least for the first hour or so), but still one of my favorites. I have a Bleecker St decant coming from Al on youtube, so I can't wait to try that one as well. Everything Buzzlepuff recommended sounds delightful, but I'm not sure if it's the composition of the scents or the composition of his excellent descriptions. Time will bear this one out, as the Pomegranate Noir has been on my radar for quite a while now, just haven't seen anyone with samples or decants of it to try. And I just realized I currently have no Lutens fragrances at all right now, so I guess I'm due. I happen to very much like candied or stewed fruit fragrances as opposed to sweet fruit, so it looks like the ScentedMonkey will be getting yet another cut of my paycheck this week.

If anyone has any more recommendations, I'm down for other suggestions as well. Thanks again!

How about Byredo Accord Oud?
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

How about Santal 33? (extremely woody with a leafy fig undertone)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Herms Rocabar

Perhaps Solara Homme by Lomani

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps Solara Homme by Lomani
    I actually found this one for $20 shipped, so I ordered it. I've noticed that despite all the frags you own or have tried, you really seem to like the inexpensive Lomani creations. Hopefully you've brought another fan aboard!

Michael Kors for Men may fit the bill. Berries, plum, tobacco, woods, patchouli, incense, and spices. Ver masculine, sweet/spicy.. more sweet imo, but not enhanced by any sugar, or gourmand in any way, naturally sweet. To me, it smells like dried berries, plum, tobacco and peanuts or peanut butter. Very niche quality!

Etat Libre d'Orange Delicous Closet Queen. A berry note (albeit strawberry) with woody notes and leather. As with all ELdO, don't let the silly name fool you. I like this scent.

From Lucky Scent: Violet leaf, citrus, geranium, iris butter, cedar, patchouli, vetiver, strawberry, rose absolute, sandalwood, leather, tonka bean, benzoin, opoponax.

L'Occitane's Cade has juniper berries.

Christian Audigier for Him has blackberries: blackberry, pomello, Asian pear, rum, cinnamon bark, saffron, iris root, vetiver, oak moss, suede and leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I might get flamed and/or ridiculed for this, but what about Pure Malt? It's more berry than whiskey IMO.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Varvatos Vintage

Thanks again for the suggestions. I came across a 90% full bottle of JV for pretty cheap, so I have it on the way- also a new one I haven't tried yet. I have Michael for Men (from the Givenchy-era distribution), and I get mostly tobacco, but I honestly haven't given it a thorough inspection to make a definitive statement. I also have the "limited edition" PM, and I don't really know what to make of the sweeter note(s). It's not entirely boozy as you would think, but I'm not really sure it's a berry-like scent either. Either way, I bought into the hype on this one a blind bought a bottle. Not regretting it, but I don't use it as much as I imagined. And Primrose, I'll have to sample the ones you listed, as those are all new to me, although I'll admit I don't get much berry sweetness from juniper berries, although I do love it as a note. You guys are awesome.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also have a small decant Jubilation of XXV that I'm trying for the first time, and while I certainly get spiced berry from it, it is entirely too rich, heavy, and decadent for my taste. It's very fruity with the woods only peeking through the spice and fruits. However, the spice and fruits are fantastic, so I may see how this would blend with something like GPH I for a full wood/incense/fruit combo. The results will either be sublime or tragic, but either way, I'll have learned something.
    Last edited by Baldini; 26th July 2012 at 06:50 PM.

Opium pour Homme has, to my nose, apart the dominant Oriental note, also certain woody and even forest berry-like undertones.

Burberry London
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Epic man, oud, cedar, incense and berries