Code of Conduct

Default Creed Millesime Aventus worth a blind buy?

Hallo

the title says it allready, I consider buying Creed Aventus as a blind buy, because I haven`t an option for getting a sample at the time. From the scent description I think I will like it. Scents I own and really like so far are Tom Ford Black Orchid and Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme. So do you think I could like aventus, too?
    Hope more expierienced memberes could give me an assessment.

Default Re: Creed Millesime Aventus worth a blind buy?

If you like to gamble and like high stakes putting big bucks on the line then go for it. But you could try it in a store if you cannot obtain a sample and know for sure if its for you.

Yeah it's worth it. The chance of you not liking it is very small and if you don't it's such a popular fragrance that you will have no trouble selling or trading it.

Buy a sample of it online or from a decanter. I love Aventus, but I wouldn't buy something this pricey without at least smelling it first. Buy a sample. Wear it. You'll feel far more confident in your purchase that way. Cheers!

Its very different form the ones you mentioned so hard to know. There is always a way to sample.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Buy a sample of it online or from a decanter. I love Aventus, but I wouldn't buy something this pricey without at least smelling it first. Buy a sample. Wear it. You'll feel far more confident in your purchase that way. Cheers!
    +1
    This is the safest bet.

No it's not. I also thought I would like it from the description and I don't. Also, it just costs too much, it's silly in my opinion to spend that much without knowing you like it beforehand. Be smart with your money, buy a sample online if you can't find a store.

You can buy in to a split of a flacon from the Fragrance Bros, or from Darkman Decants. Both of those seem really reputable. The fragrance bros, in particular, have an excellent reviews channel on youtube. If I were buying in on a split, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either one.

I find it particularly noteworthy that even though Creed is jacking up the price for Aventus as of August 1st, neither of the two sources I just gave you are holding on to their juice for a few weeks in order to sell it for more once prices go up elsewhere. Props for that!

If I were you, I'd buy a sample, wear it for a few days and let your nose decide. Come to think of it, that's exactly what I did a few weeks ago.

I'm not usually a fan f blind buys. Even though I'm a fan of both of these, you should at least try a sample first.

No, never blind buy a fragrance.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Don't do it.

Basenotes Plus

I agree with the others, do not blind buy this one. It will be an expensive mistake if you don't like it.

Ok I `ve mentioned your advices and getting a sample soon . I ´ve readed that the longevity of aventus is really changeable and that doesn`t depend on the skin, but it depending on inconsistent quality of aventus. The scents filled up at 2011 should be the best. Is that all true? I`m a bit confused now, and not sure, if I should by Creed`s Aventus, then!

Greetz and many thanks for answers!

I wouldn't blind buy unless its limited edition or being discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    No, never blind buy a fragrance.
    I have a rule. Only blind buy things under £20. Whether that be on cheapies or on eBay bargains. I like the anticipation. Blind buying Aventus though is just plain crazy. Personally I love it, but I'd never have taken a gamble that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Orchid View Post
    Ok I `ve mentioned your advices and getting a sample soon . I ´ve readed that the longevity of aventus is really changeable and that doesn`t depend on the skin, but it depending on inconsistent quality of aventus. The scents filled up at 2011 should be the best. Is that all true? I`m a bit confused now, and not sure, if I should by Creed`s Aventus, then!
    I don't think longevity is as variable as you might think. Keep in mind many of the folks here on basenotes buying niche frags are pretty much experts. They have so much experience and can detect the slightest differences that most of us wouldn't. In the end, the only thing that matters is your own nose. If the sample smells good to you - good enough that you want to actually buy Aventus, you'll enjoy the Aventus you get.

Whatever you do, don't get caught up in the hype. I've seen people waste a lot of money because they got sucked into the hype. If you're more of a 1 Million/A*Men kind of guy, Aventus may be a big letdown. Really, just trust your own nose.

When I got a sample, I wore it for three days straight. Then, I went back to wearing my signature scent for the next 2 days to give my nose a break. Kind of like hitting a reset button. Then, when I wore Aventus again on the 6th day, it was easy to come up with a verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by Stayclose View Post
    I wouldn't blind buy unless its limited edition or being discontinued.
    That's superb advice. Aventus is excellent, but there's no rush since it's still quite new and a smash hit for Creed. It's going to remain easy to find for many years.

I have to admit that I kinda like doing the blind buy thing...I think it's kinda fun...but before I do it I study that frag until I feel like I know it backwards and forwards. Of the about 10 blind buys that I have done I have only been disappointed in one...the famed and much hailed L'instant de Guerlain Extreme. It's a great fragrance, just not for me. But, as people have said already, if you were to blind buy Aventus and not like it, you would have absolutely no problem selling or trading it...I was able to make an excellent trade with my LIDGE so everything turned out great.

For what it's worth (which isn't much I'm sure) in my opinion Aventus is the most extreme overrated frag here on basenotes!! Wow it's overrated. I can't for the life of me figure out why it gets sooooooooo much love. Granted, I'm not a fan of Creed at all, I think I only like about 2 of their frags...but when I smelled Aventus I expected to have angels sing, see a ray of light from heaven, faint, fall in love, regain my youth, lose weight, figure out a cure for aids, solve world hunger, and have every female in the city come running to smell the pure gold scent that I had sprayed on my rejuvenated skin...but none of that happened, can you believe it? I mean, this is Aventus we're talking about (can you sense my sarcasm?) After wearing it around for a while I was bored and felt let down by all of the hype that I had read. But, I am in the minority of Aventus dislikers.

So...I hope that when you get your sample you will have angels sing, and all the other stuff I said up above, but if not, don't be too disappointed...and even better yet, if you don't, you have saved yourself some money to spend on a different frag that you will love.

Why do all of the people who go the 'not a fan of creed at all' route ALWAYS follow with the immediate melodrama? Such pointless waffle.

And have these people honestly tried all of the Creeds including the Private collection line and EDT's?...No of course not. If they opened up the blinkered views they might actually find something they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Why do all of the people who go the 'not a fan of creed at all' route ALWAYS follow with the immediate melodrama? Such pointless waffle.

And have these people honestly tried all of the Creeds including the Private collection line and EDT's?...No of course not. If they opened up the blinkered views they might actually find something they like.
    I'm the first to admit that I haven't given the Creed house as a whole a really good testing. I've gone to the Creed counter maybe 6 times and tried and tried many frags, and they just don't do it for me, but I will still try them out when I see them and see if I can find some I like, I just haven't even come close up until this point except for VIW.

For what it's worth, the OP was asking for thoughts on Aventus and I thought I'd give him mine...and that is that Aventus is way overrated in my opinion. I think that a lot of people are caught up in the hype so much that they are willing to blind buy expensive frags so I feel like I should give them my honest opinion, that's all. I really don't read through the Creed posts just to rag on them, I saw that he was asking about a blind buy, and that's what brought me in.

Basenotes Plus

1st time I smelled Aventus at the Creed Boutique I think I made a weird face. Then, I tried it at Bergdorf Goodman and I started kind of liking it. I got a 8ml decant of it from surrendertochance.com and I thought that I really liked it. I just got a split of it from a basenotes split and am loving it!

It really took time to grow on me but I thought there was something kind of cool going on. Once I "got" the pineapple, I loved it! Before that I was very confused thinking I was smelling something dark and smoky. But once I was hip to the pineapple I couldn't get enough!

This morning I accidentally sprayed it on because I thought it was a GIT decant and went with it. It was 91 degrees in Manhattan today and it was pretty delightful. About halfway through the day, I sprayed some GIT on top and it was super fantastic.

I wouldn't blind buy it, but I would give it a good trial before buying a bottle. Don't write it off if you don't like it right away. Give it a solid chance, and if you buy a bottle, buy it from creedboutique.com or from an authorized dealer to be sure you're getting exactly what you want. The split I have is a bottle from the Creed Boutique in NY and it smells really niiiiiiice. I'm probably going to pick up a 120ml bottle next Spring.

@ L Homme Blanc Individuel:

I`m totally agree that aventus is hyped and overpriced right now. But I HATE One Million it`s only sweet and sticky to my nose, without any touch of classines and "good taste" and A men doesn`t hold on my skin like most of all edt. From the note describtion I would love aventus. Fruity not too sweet with a nice drydown, for the classines, I miss in the sweet and fruity scents.

But I try the sample first so I will see, if I like it or not

The problem with Aventus is hype and expectations. I think the hype leads people to believe it's going to be a big and bold scent. To my nose, it's definitely not. It'll get blown away by things like 1 Million, A*Men or even Le Male because they're loud and easily cut through. I wouldn't recommend Aventus to anyone looking for big and bold. But that's actually why I really like Aventus. To me, it's very easily wearable. I enjoy the scent and appreciate that it doesn't have sharp edges, nor does it demand attention. When I want an attention grabber, I wear something bolder.

Aventus isn't my favorite scent. I own a few others that I feel more excited to wear. But if I had to limit myself to only one scent, it would probably be Aventus. It's easy to wear, gets compliments and is incredibly versatile. It's not a jaw-dropping-wow kind of scent. It's just great.

...but having said all of that, I still wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy. Especially not when there are so many ways to get in on a split and try it out.

IMO yes.

thanks for the fb hyperlink lhbi.

Not a safe blind buy.

Sur la Plage

Not a good buy - blind or not blind.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

No way. I thought I would love Aventus but didn't like it, and Millesime Imperiale was underwhelming IMO.

Banned

Aventus is a fine scent, which I own and enjoy.
    However, your nose knows what is best for you, sample it first.

&

Last edited by dollars&scents; 29th July 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Aventus is a fine scent, which I own and enjoy.
    However, your nose knows what is best for you, sample it first.
    Same here.

It is not a big bold scent, but an incredily nice pleasing scent IMHO. Big and bold, I'll turn to Montale and Armouge for that.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Orchid View Post
    Hallo

the title says it allready, I consider buying Creed Aventus as a blind buy, because I haven`t an option for getting a sample at the time. From the scent description I think I will like it. Scents I own and really like so far are Tom Ford Black Orchid and Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme. So do you think I could like aventus, too?
    Hope more expierienced memberes could give me an assessment.
    Hey. If you like Black Orchid and Opium, there is a possibility that you can handle the strength of Aventus (which is a true powerhouse). But there is no guarantee.

Keep in mind, while Aventus here is really popular, it is NOT for everybody.

I don't recommend ANY blind buys, whatsoever. I'm iffy on blind buying a $40 fragrance, much less a $300 fragrance. My rule is don't spend any money on blind buys that you aren't willing to lose.

I think it is utmost important that you try a sample first. And you do have the option. You may not have a Creed botique nearby you, but you can setup an Ebay account and get a 5-10ml decant like I did. It doesn't cost a lot of money either.

Ok, I`ve tested Aventus now. My impressions were a really fruity starting with a woody heart and an
    ambra emphasized drydown with hints of vanilla and musk. I think it`s a really well balanced fragrance,
    which would be a probally choice for every occassion and I can understand why so much people like it.
    But I excepted a bit more (don`t know exactly what ), for that proudly price, so I`ve decieded not buying it.